Start by marking “Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine, #2)

Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine #2)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  6,008 ratings  ·  255 reviews
As psychics all over the city are being savagely murdered, a piece of the past half-demon bounty hunter Dante Valentine thought she'd buried is stalking the night with a vengeance. Original.
Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Published September 1st 2006 by Warner Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Man Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Man Rising

Gloria Mundi
Hmmm. This book was frustrating. It was much better than the first in many respects yet much more irritating in others.

The writing seems to have improved considerably though there is still a lot of repetition. Dante's thought pattern sure is circular. She goes round and round and round with the same old "Japhrimel is dead/I can't love Jace/my hand is cramping/I don't want to think about anything" crap until you almost start feeling dizzy. It gets very tedious.

Being in Dante's head is a bit like
Tara
3.5 Stars. I find it hard to rate this book, because I spent half of it not really liking it, then the second half digging it.

The first book in this series just starts, no back story, not a lot of excess descriptions to help with world building... pretty much it starts with a knock on the door and then you find out everything as you go along. And despite the fact that it is the first book, and the excess descriptions were held back to a bare minimum, you didn't feel cheated or confused. And eve
Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading*
I know a lot of people held issues with this book due to Dante’s almost non-stop grieving, but the end was such a nice change to me from the first book and made my heart grin. Unfortunately Valentine encounters yet another tragedy in this book – a new loss that I hated. The grim flashbacks that hinted her former childhood was horrible is even more in color and complex now. She comes to the heart of the horror in the battle finale and it was disturbing.

The pace is almost non-stop as Dante, the ma
Felicia
Ugh, not as good as #1. Very whiney protagonist, not very proactive as in #1, kinda wallowy. Still enjoyable, but a little more "get up and go" woulda been appreciated. #3 is next!
Anzu The Great Destroyer
I really REALLY liked Working for the Devil. It sucked me in since page one. Dead Man Rising however, did not. I didn’t take this as a sign. I should have.

Dead Man Rising’s story did not work for me at all. I don’t know why but Dante’s past doesn’t interest me so much. Yes, she got tortured, and I feel bad for her, but meh. You know? Meh. The story was extremely mediocre if you ask me.

The characters kind of pissed me off as well. Dante was ok, but she bothered me with her attitude towards Jace.
Connie302
I am really disapointed to say that this wasn't as good as the first one :( But thankfully it was readable. The plot was ok, if not a little shakey in places, but it did fill in some of Dante's previously hinted at bad past. But the endless pity party Dante had goin on was bordering ridiculous; Japh this, Jace that, I'm a terrible person, what the hell is hedaira, everyone hates Necromancers, my shoulder hurts, wierd giggle. That's about the majority of her worries, repeated over and over and ov ...more
Karissa
I really, really liked the first book in the Dante Valentine series by Lilith Saintcrow. Dead Man Rising (the second book in this series) was a disappointment.

You meet up with Dante (Danny) a short time after her hunt in the last book and the "death" of Japh. Dante has been recklessly taking bounty after bounty to distract herself from her grief over Japh. Jace shows up to help her out on her bounties and has forsaken all of his connections with the mob for her. Gabe ends up calling Danny in on
Bry
Not as good as the first book, but definitely still enjoyable. This go round was still a action packed and twisted as the first book but Dante was so broken in this book. Yes she was grieving but she really was incredibly whiney. And you know what I realized - the romance in the first book that seemed so slow and well paced...was actually only a couple of a days long. I am not sure how I missed that when I was reading it, and I only realized it now because Jace did.

And Jace, oh Jace. I have to
Kat  Hooper
Originally posted at FanLit. http://www.fantasyliterature.com/

Dead Man Rising is the second book in Lilith Saintcrow’s DANTE VALENTINE series. Dante, a freelance necromance, has lived through her first assignment for the devil. (She didn’t want to work for him, but the devil can be very persuasive.) Now Dante’s brooding because her demon lover is dead and she’s just had a nasty surprise about her own heritage. When her friend Gabe, the police investigator, calls to tell her that her old school f
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
Synopsis: It's been almost a year since the events of Working for the Devil. Now, part demon and Necromance bounty hunter Dante *Danny* Valentine has thrown herself into bounty after bounty to forget losing her demon lover Japhrimel who got himself attached to her by the Devil himself.

Jace has decided to join her on these dangerous bounties in order to prove himself to Dante and is constantly putting himself in danger to prove himself. Dante is then asked by her friend Gabriel *Gabe* who works f
Type
The grief, the anguish its dragging.. Why japh has to be able to brought back? I will like this series if it doesnt, its like giving a kid a candy just becaus she cry to much, isnt the author herself said the dead is final? Its like making miracle happen just because u will it so.. Otherwise the world the author spun is great, anyhow i'm getting angry reading this book..

Oh and anyone find the inconsistency where the author said 'there's only 2 necromancer left' and later she said three?
Lovelee
Is this book even written by the same author? This is not the same Dante from bk 1, where did she go? This should have been a good read, but I could not really get into it. I actually skipped a lot because it did not add to the story and was overly repetitive, annoying. The editors seemed to have missed a lot or was it left in for word count? However, even Danny started to become annoying. I get that she was struggling with some issues regarding Japh and Jace, but where did here back bone go? Sh ...more
Chessa
The 2nd book in the Dante Valentine Series. I liked this book - I would have given it 3.5 stars if half stars were possible, but not quite enough for 4 stars. The premise is interesting and the main plot line was spooky and made for a page turner. My big criticism of this book was Too. Much. Inner. Monologue. OMG!!! We get it. You're tortured. You're shamed. You're guilty. You miss your dead demon lover. You don't even know what you are anymore. I GET IT. Move on with the plot, for the love of g ...more
Ducky
"Behind the main building were the dormitories, two for girls, one for boys (since the X chromosome carries Talent far more often than the Y)."

NO. THAT'S WRONG. If it's a sex-linked disorder, then more males will carry Talent. I don't really remember much about this book, now that I've read the third one, but I do remember that there was far too much angst for my liking. *twitch*

If there hadn't been so many impossible-to-ignore flaws in Dead Man Rising, I would've given this four (or maybe even
Krystal
Still confused over some things, but still appreciating the style the author has in that she doesn't overexplain, just lets things naturally unfold.
The writing is a little redundant at times, repeating the same thought 30,000 (maybe less) on the same page. I know its supposed to lend the character the feeling of confusion, of "what the hell" but once you read it 30,000 times on the same page (maybe less), you either give up, or just skip over the echos, cause what the hell, it gets old.

Still, g
Annlu
Dante Valentine has not done her job as a Necromance for ten months. Ten months that she spent bounty hunting to numb her feelings and forget the events of Nuevo Rio. But then her friend Gabe needs her help in a case. Dante has to bring back from death a murdered Necromance and her past seems to come back to haunt her.

With all the background knowledge from the first book I understood the story more quickly this time. I liked that the story started without to much explanations or repetitions.
In
Jessica
Like many reviewers I have mixed feelings about this book-in some ways it was much better than the first in other ways much worse. Many but not all of the holes in mythology get filled in. Two problems here A)the holes are filled in by way of glossary...at the end of the book rather than an actual fleshed out history lesson which is what i would've preferred and B) there are still many terms that went undefined. Then there was the issue of Dante's past. In this book we finally get enough of her ...more
Sammy Nicholas
This was a pretty good book. It was very confusing at times and I had hard time understanding it. This was a lot more mysterious and suspicious. It was even more sad and lots of things she did a the end I did not expect at all. I think this one was better then the first book though. I loved the ending, this book held my attention throughout it and I loved it. Some things at the end I didn't really understand how that would happen but it was definitely very interesting, and I really liked it.
Illise Montoya
I've never been a fan of the star rating system on this site. I don't think a range of five is nearly broad enough to really summarize my overall feelings on a book. Hell, TEN isn't even enough. If I could rate this book on a scale of 1 to 20, I'd say 14. On a scale of 1 to 10: 7. On a scale of 1 to 5: 3 1/2. I'm certain the ratios are a bit off, but more importantly I hope my feelings are clear. "Dead Man Rising" is a decent enough sophomore effort by Saintcrow, but I felt it was slower paced i ...more
Shambhawi P.
More like a 2.5 Stars

I liked the first book better. And since I did not like the first book much except the ending which hinted on a promising sequel this is even worse than it sounds.

I'm tacking on that extra half star again for the ending and the premise it sets for the third book. And (view spoiler)

Not a bad book, but not a good one either. Somewhere above meh and below nice.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
First of all this is a kick ass cover. Love it! Reminds me of a female ninja. I like this story because Dante reminds me of Anita Blake but better. Dante is good at her job but she seems to be blurring the lines more and more. I sucked this book down right after the first one. It's good to find an author after she's produced several books in a series.
David Teachout
ignorance is not bliss

Some find it rather annoying how long Dante goes back and forth over Japhrimel being alive or dead, but given her level of ignorance about what she is and all it entails this waffling makes sense. There is ample room to wonder if such was the right way to tell the story but I'm not the author and it works for the character. This is a woman who has suffered through hell on earth and lived through it not by finding the good but simply by brutal perseverance. She cannot love w
Cecilia
MrsShyCage
This book frustrated me so much. I was so excited to dive in to Dante's world after the first book. I kept anticipating and pushing myself through this book without the book ever taking it where I thought the story needed to go. The first book wasn't like that at all. The flow was easy in the first book and I thought the story made sense. Not so in this book at all. The plot was very forced and predictable. Also Danny was quite dumb in this book. How many signs do you need? Jaf all but slapped h ...more
Dorothea Müller
Dante versucht ihr Leben weiter zu leben ohne ihren Dämon. Was sie auch einiger Maßen hin bekommt. Dann erhält sie einen Auftrag der sie in ihre Vergangenheit schickt und das ist nicht immer einfach für sie. Auch das sie immer wieder das Gefühl hat das er da ist. Dann werden auch noch Freunde von ihr getötet und sie bekommt neue Freunde. Man merkt in diesem Band die bedrückende Kindheit und ihren Zwiespalt. Auch hat man manchmal das Gefühl das sie langsam aber sicher verrückt wird. Doch dann pas ...more
Natalie
This book wasn't as good as the first one. It was a lot more plodding and really, I was so desperate to (view spoiler) that I couldn't really focus on the rest of the story. I think what this story was missing was the fun dialogue that was so awesome in the first book. A lot of this story was Dante thinking and bemoaning her new fate and the loss of Japhrimel. Some of that was okay, but there was a little too much. It dragged the story down.

Still looking forw
Victoria
Originally posted at Revenge of the Feels

I am honestly tempted to give this book 2 stars. This book was disappointing as compared to the first one. The content and the writing of this book felt like it was just there to continue the story, as if the writing was there to act as fillers. However, as I mentioned previously, Lilith Saintcrow has the amazing ability to infuse life into the characters she wrote and that, is why I have chosen to give the book 3 stars.

Dante is still the same person I ha
Vicky
Dante, aka Danny, Valentine is a half-human/half-demon female bounty hunter who can literally speak with the dead. That alone makes her unique in the community of psions in her city. Her connection with the savagely murdered bodies that start showing up in the city creates more than a stir among the police – and the media. Police necromancer Gabe asks her friend Danny to help figure out who is killing others with power. The investigation takes Danny on a nightmare trip into her past as she tries ...more
Artem
I have been read urban fantasy books for a few years now. And quite a few of them are from the female point of view. And in most cases I start reading the series once it is either over or there are at least 3 books out there already. So I picked up Dante Valentine books. The first one was great: flawed characters, superb frantic pace, a super evil villain and a pinch of romance. And I finished it in a couple of days, gave it five stars and started reading the second book.

What a stinking disappo
Mei-Lu
I'm at least twenty books behind on my reviews so I apologize in advance for the brevity of this and any other reviews I write over the next week or so.

Dead Man Rising is the second book in the Dante Valentine series by Lilith Saintcrow. When we left necromancer and bounty hunter Dante, she was completely shattered by the revelations and changes wrought by book one, Working for the Devil. We pick up the action with Dante back to her day job, bounty hunting, working with her former partner and lo
  • The Devil You Know (Morgan Kingsley, #2)
  • Darkness Calls (Hunter Kiss, #2)
  • The Taste of Night (Signs of the Zodiac, #2)
  • Crimson Wind (Horngate Witches, #2)
  • Another One Bites the Dust (Jaz Parks, #2)
  • Blood of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #2)
  • Demon Bound (Black London, #2)
  • The Watcher  (Anna Strong Chronicles, #3)
  • Coyote Dreams (Walker Papers, #3)
  • Magic in the Blood (Allie Beckstrom, #2)
  • Bring It On (Retrievers, #3)
  • Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer, #3)
  • The Hour of Dust and Ashes (Charlie Madigan, #3)
Lilith Saintcrow was born in New Mexico, bounced around the world as an Air Force brat, and fell in love with writing when she was ten years old. She lives in Vancouver, Washington, in a house full of stray cats and children.
More about Lilith Saintcrow...

Dante Valentine (5 books)
  • Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine, #1)
  • The Devil's Right Hand (Dante Valentine, #3)
  • Saint City Sinners (Dante Valentine, #4)
  • To Hell and Back (Dante Valentine, #5)
Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine, #1) Night Shift (Jill Kismet, #1) The Devil's Right Hand (Dante Valentine, #3) Saint City Sinners (Dante Valentine, #4) To Hell and Back (Dante Valentine, #5)

“Almost sure wasn't good enough. Almost sure, in my experience, is the shortest road to oh fuck.” 60 likes
“Death did not play favorites—He loved all equally.
What you cannot escape, you must fight; what you cannot fight, you must endure .
The god's voice—not quite words, just a thread of meaning laid in my receptive mind—”
26 likes