Transmetropolitan, Vol. 0: Tales of Human Waste  (Transmetropolitan, #0)

Transmetropolitan, Vol. 0: Tales of Human Waste (Transmetropolitan 0)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  2,701 ratings  ·  38 reviews
TALES OF HUMAN WASTE completes the TRANSMETROPOLITAN library, collecting the two Prestige-format one-shots TRANSMETROPOLITAN: I HATE IT HERE and TRANSMETROPOLITAN: FILTH OF THE CITY, as well as the 8-page Christmas story from VERTIGO: WINTER'S EDGE 2. Written by Warren Ellis, this collection features a host of one and two-page pieces from comics' finest artists illustratin...more
Published October 1st 2004 by Vertigo

Keith
I'm finally putting this series to bed upon reading Filth of the City about ten years after reading all other things Transmet. Since these days the only really sure way to find FotC is in this collection (which, I think, is also going the way of the dodo) or in the most recent edition of vol 10, One More Time, which annoyingly sandwiches both FotC and its precursor, I Hate it Here in as a postscript to the entire series, I felt an OCD-type need to explain to all the n00bs out there a little bit...more
Brooke
During the entire Transmetropolitan series up to this point, Spider Jerusalem's status as someone with so much power and sway was a bit questionable. He's a psychotic, unlikeable lunatic who spends most of his time pissing people off and behaving very bizarrely. He's entertaining as can be, but seriously unhinged and not really hero material. Vol. 0: Tales of Human waste finally sheds some light on what captivates the denizens of The City - dozens of excerpts of Spider's column are presented and...more
Charles
Spider Jerusalem is a difficult protagonist to like but his narcissism isn't the problem. His observations about his world are supposed to be incisive, but really, they're aren't. His brand of dark humor adds little and frequently, this graphic novel is a jumble of ramblings.

The art in a few instances is quite beautiful, but most of it is not appropriate for the world that Ellis has created. It would be better to just use a single illustrator to maintain a consistent tone, though it must be said...more
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/1011032.html[return][return]I got this because I had picked up recommendations for Ellis' Transmetropolitan series from various sources, and this fairly slim volume was numbered #0 in the shop, so I guessed it might be important introductory or prefatory material. Well, if it is, I'm not sure I can be bothered to follow up with the rest of the series. The book starts with a short story about how much protagonist Spider Jerusalem hates Christmas and other people, and it...more
Lasairfiona Smith
Oct 21, 2008 Lasairfiona Smith rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Transmet fans
This is not a prequel: this is basically a supplemental book to the Transmet series. It is a collection of bits of articles that Spider wrote for The Word, illustrated by numerous artists. The snippets are obviously from "I Hate It Here" and it really shows Spider in a light that one would expect: hating dogs, sexual frustration, bowel disruptors... But it also shows a bit of why Spider stayed in the City in the first place. It shows his bittersweet love affair with the seedy underbelly, his add...more
Julian
I'll keep it brief, because this is a jeu d'esprit rather than a book requiring weighty analysis. In Transmetropolitan proper, Spider Jerusalem writes a column called 'I hate it here'. This book is a selection from those columns, each illustrated with artwork by one of a multitude of artists. The pieces themselves range from quite moving to frankly silly (I particularly like the one where Spider's assistant tries to explain his 'Pharaoh for a day' exploits, and the fitting fate of his editor).

So...more
Jess
Despite loving the Transmetropolian series proper, I thought Tales of Human Waste was just okay. It features a selection of Spider Jerusalem's newspaper columns with visuals provided by a number of different graphic artists. It's nowhere near as powerful as the columns in the series, though his antagonistic attitude toward the culture of the City and ranting & raving style is captured in these columns. The art provides some interesting visual interpretations of Jerusalem and company, but I w...more
Shanna
I feel as if I can relate to Jerusalem's apathy more, now that I feel like I'm living in hell. It's comforting to have the words laid out in front of me and know that someone out there was able to nail it squarely to the wall.

He takes what's happening right now in America, as we live it, and put it in this future environment. On the part that covers the societal unrest for the half-human half-martian bunch I must share what was said on the picket signs, i...more
Alex Turner
I nice addition, only really makes sense if you have read the whole series already. Not as good the the main series though.
Mikael Kuoppala
One more time warren Ellis takes us into the world of his “Transmetropolitan” saga, a hyperactive and bitingly sharp sci-fi political satire that often turned chillingly serious. “Tales of Human Waste” does revoke some of the energy of the series, but it is ultimately left hanging in the air with very little to offer in the way of wit or substance. I never thought Spider Jerusalem could be boring, but here he kind of is.
Tom
Sep 07, 2011 Tom rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
This is a collection of some vignettes and it features a lot of different artists take on the character Spider Jerusalem. Some of the art is spectacular, some doesn't interest me that much. The little blurbs, most of which seemingly excepts of the protagonist's "I Hate It Here" column, recall the story arc of the series, but since there is no active plot to engage the reader, it just becomes a best-of collection.
Monk
Oct 22, 2007 Monk rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dystopian Fiction Lovers
Spider Jerusalem is a journalist before anything else (maniac, rebel, monsterer and rabble rouser) and this collection is pure Ellis via the medium of our favorite sociopath. Tales of Human Waste chronicles the human (and post-human) experience, covering some of the more common topics we see today to covering the theoretical in a style best described as Thompson-esqe. Give it a read.
Neville Ridley-smith
This one was merely ok.

The first half was mostly unnecessary - for the most part average art and vile subject matter punctuated by occasional fantastic art.

The second half was much better - a proportionately higher number of good art spreads and it even added some never-shown-before, intriguing locations and concepts that flesh out the futurescape of the Transmet world.
Jake
Oct 14, 2009 Jake rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
This volume is just like a DVD-extra for the entire Transmetropolitan series, but better. It collects the fictional Spider Jerusalem's newspaper columns, each with an accompanying illustration by a different and elite illustrator. I can only imagine how long it took to plan and create this volume, and it is absolutely astonishing.
Robert Beveridge
Warren Ellis, Transmetropolitan: Tales of Human Waste (Vertigo, 2004)

Sort of a “greatest hits” compilation of “I Hate It Here” textual bits from the series illustrated by a wide variety of comic artists. Amusing, and a nice way to look back on the series, but doesn't really add a great deal. For established fans only. ***
Bri
It was nice to spend time with Spider again, but this is really just a collection of what his columns were throughout the rest of the series. It's interesting, but it more or less reads like a recap of the series and doesn't really add to much on it's own. There's not really much at stake.
Dan
For those who don't know this series it's basically Hunter S Thompson in the future. Spider Jerusalem is a ranting hack who will stop at nothing to get a story and bring down those he hates - which is everybody. Writer Warren Ellis is a literary god in my book...albeit a god with a sick mind.
HeavyReader
This book is an addition to the Transmetropolitan series, but it's not exactly a sequal or a prequal. It seems to be a grand excuse to showcase incredible art featuring Spider Jerusalem and whacked out words in his voice. A good read for the Transmetropolitan fan, but not essential.
Frank
These are excerpts from Spider Jerusalem's books which are collections of his columns from throughout the series. Nothing new, but worth a read if you liked Transmet. Selling point here is a different artist drew each page. If you're into that sort of thing.
AGraphicMaduck
wonder ode to transmetropolitan, says something about the respect this series must have considering all the artists on this...that said and there were some good ones, spider still belongs to Robertson art wise...
Don Bernal
short clips from spider jerusalem; full of vitrol, anger and eventually compassion; various artists keep the pace interesting, although it will lead to some pages being more favored than others
Davey
One of my favorite parts about Transmet is Spider Jerusalem's writing, so I found this extremely entertaining. The enthralling and often humorous illustrations were just the icing on the cake for me.
Matt
Feb 18, 2008 Matt rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comic
A retrospective, much of the words are already said in the previous comics. The newly drawn pictures and interpretations of Spider are interesting but if you desire more of Spider don't look to this.
Krzysztof Solarewicz
Transmet is like a rich dish with a bloody flesh af a dead animal. Since it's a dish, I rate it as a whole. Since there is meat, it fills me and I feel grateful to it. Very much so.
Lobeck
The series was great, but this pales in comparison to the other volumes. What can I say - I'm a sucker for the longer narrative and not a big fan of the short snippets.
Tessa
As my introduction to the series, I think this probably gave me a good feel for the character of Spider Jerusalem, but I'm looking forward to starting it proper.
Nia
It was interesting to see Spider through the eyes of other artists. Also enjoyed reading his columns.
Justin
Expands the universe of Spider and his filthy assistants. An excellent addendum to a classic series.
Adam
a summation of Jerusalem articles from the graphic novels. You can get it all from the previous text.
Brendan Howard
Jan 22, 2012 Brendan Howard rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Transmetropolitan
Shelves: comic-books
Good for Transmet fans, not so good entry point for new readers.
  • The Invisibles, Vol. 7: The Invisible Kingdom
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 9: Strychnine Lives
  • Preacher, Volume 7: Salvation
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 6: The Universal Machine (B.P.R.D., #6)
Has written comics & graphic novels, books, journalism, animation, tv, film, videogames and anything else that looks like it might pay a bill or buy whisky.

Second novel, GUN MACHINE, due from Mulholland Books in autumn of 2012.

First non-fiction book due from FSG in 2014.

Currently a weekly columnist for VICE UK.

Hello. WHERE AM I

More about Warren Ellis...
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street (Transmetropolitan, #1) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 3: Year of the Bastard (Transmetropolitan, #3) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 5: Lonely City (Transmetropolitan, #5) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 2: Lust for Life (Transmetropolitan, #2) Planetary, Vol. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories

“ You're probably wondering why there's never any good news.
I mean, I've been doing this job a few months now. I've been soaking up the paper every week, same as you, and watching the same newsfeeds as you. I got the same list burned into the front of my head as you. Death. Horror. Bad sex. Living nightmares. Each day a little further down the spiral.
There's never any good news because they know you.
I mean, here's the top of today's column that I discarded: I had a really good time last night down the bar with my assistant and some cheerfully doomed sex fiends of our acquaintance.
No one ever sold newspapers by telling you the truth; life just ain't that bad.”
22 likes