Ghost of a Chance

Ghost of a Chance (Nightshade #2)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  453 ratings  ·  50 reviews
True love is like a ghost. Many people believe in both, but few find either.
Samantha Shade has been hired to find out if there is more than rats and bats and feral cats haunting the crumbling remains of San Rafael Mission, home of Father Rodriguez’s impoverished flock. But soon the donut-addicted rookie private investigator is sidetracked by a series of murders occurring...more
285 pages
Published January 28th 2007 (first published January 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost of a Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost of a Chance

Allison
HALLELUJAH! A Mormon-written book that didn't require multiple bottles of aspirin to finish!

Truly, there is cause to rejoice.

Ghost of a Chance is not great literature. It is fun literature. Predictably quirky heroine, predictably perfect hero, but a surprisingly scary climax and genuinely unique details. (why the little brother wears a Darth Vader suit, for example.) The ditzy manhunting gorgeous cousin was satisfying, too, since in most Mormon books she'd have been the star, not the comic rel...more
Kerry Blair is an author whose creations are a joy to read! This book made me laugh out loud more than once. It is a fast paced read and hard to put down. This is the second book in a series titled "A Nightshade Mystery". Nightshade is the name of a detective agency located in Phoenix, AZ. Samantha Shade is a powdered donut-addicted rookie detective for her uncle's private investigation service. Sam is called into investigate the possibility that a ghost is haunting the crumbling San Rafael Miss...more
Nathalie S
I tend to avoid reading LDS fiction because I don't like it. Why? I ask myself--I should like it but it's often mixed with dumb romance which I don't like as a genre. Plus the ones that I've tried to read were just not very good. So I picked Kerry Blair's "Ghost of a chance" without realizing it was the dreaded LDS fiction EXCEPT that it was actually in the mystery category. Although a few of the characters are LDS, they don't keep throwing it at you. It does mention the singles' ward or Young W...more
Cydni Perkins
I picked up the audiobook version at the public library for a car trip, and to be honest, if I had looked at it carefully enough to know it was LDS fiction, I would have put it back. I'm still unfairly biased by the genre, but the truth it that this story was exactly what I was looking for when I checked it out -- a silly romp that's meant to be funny rather than hard-hitting, because I like crime fiction but my husband prefers comedies. I'm a little torn about it. I liked the fact that the main...more
Sariah
This was a cute mystery. LDS fiction. I borrowed it to read on vacation, and it made for a good vacation read. I found the main character funny and engaging. The book wrapped up a little too neatly, but I still liked it. I liked the references to Arizona (it is set in Phoenix) and to Dia de los Muertes. I've always found that to be a fascinating celebration! One cool side note... it mentioned that Thomas Edison was interested in paranormal communication, and at first I thought it was one of thos...more
Dharia Scarab

4 sta...more
Andrea
Samantha Shade has always wanted to be a Super Hero. Her job as interim head of Nightshade Investigation is as close as she'll probably get to reaching that dream, if she can just solve her current case and avoid being the next Marigold Murderer victim.

Kerry Blair's story is hilarious and suspenseful. There is mystery and romance. At least, Samantha is really hoping for a romance with Thom-her interior dialogue about that situation is so funny.

I'm sad that this is the last book written in the se...more
Jordan McCollum
The protagonist, Samantha Shade, is absolutely hilarious--she's witty, funny and as devoted to parentheticals as I am. The book would not have been the same without it. When it comes down to it, whether you relate to that voice will determine whether you like the book.

This book also gets genuinely creepy, yet it's still very funny and very light. A lot of it is over the top, but it's played for humor and it works. A very fun read!

My full review: http://jordanmccollum.com/2009/05/gho...
Kathryn
great suspence book that keeps you guessing till the end. Sam is a PI who is still learning the ropes and has gotten herself into hard spots just because she acts first and then thinks later. Her uncle is out of town and she is in charge of the Nightshade PI company. There is a serial killer " the marigold killer" on the loose and now there is a missing corpse too. she is working with a police detective named Thom and she has more interest in him than just his knowledge of the case.
Thebarrys10
Kerry Blair has so much personality in her writing that I really enjoyed this book. I am going to find more by her. The book has a little of everything-romance, mystery, humor and it's a page turner! If you are looking for a no-brainer-just an escape then you might consider this one. Besides there is nothing to offend here. Let me know if you figure out then ending before you get there. It was a surprise to me!
Danni
I almost don't know what this book was about. The main character was always spouting one liners. Most of the time to herself. I was so very funny. I was laughing so hard. I loved the book though. It was a perfect Halloween book and a good relief to a very stressful week. I will be reading more from this author.
Marie
This is the only LDS mystery/romance novel I will ever admit to enjoying (except the sequel - and why hasn't she written more already)! The characters are quirky, and funny. The plot is fun, the allusions to so many things that a geek girl like me loves kept me happy as I enjoyed this adventure.
Samantha
It's a mystery that was a lot more suspenseful than I anticipated but is still a typical Mormon book. I just can't handle that all characters are the picture of LDS perfection with their father being on the high council, praying over everything, their brother serving a full-time mission, etc. etc.
Erin
A fun chic mystery. The heroine is sort of the literary equivalent of a "Chatty Kathy" and her dialog was a little distracting at first, but the author has a quick wit and she really says some funny things. The mystery is pretty good and becomes a page turner near the end!
Kristyn
Aug 23, 2009 Kristyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all 12+
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I listened to it on CD and sometimes hate the voices that the readers put to the characters, but I thought this reader added to the book and the humor with her voices. Good mystery that keeps you guessing til the end.
Heather
The humor in this novel was a refreshing change of pace from what I typically read. My family looked at me a little strangely when I would start laughing for no apparent reason, but it was worth it. I plan to look for some more of her books to read.
Marilee
This book follows "Mummy's the word," though you don't necessarily have to read them in that order to enjoy them. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the the first Samantha Shade mystery, but it was still fun and very difficult to put down.
Donna
Jan 14, 2009 Donna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: LDS myster readers
Recommended to Donna by: library
Clean escapism. I found this story line more compelling than the first one. But sometimes the author get a little too casual and cheesy with the main character's voice.

This book had a lot more references to LDS themes than the first one did.
Julie
Another fun Kerry Blair tale. I liked this one the best. The first was funnier but this was more suspenseful. They are not the best books I've read but they are definately fun. They ARE the best of the LDS books. Try it, you'll like it.
Patricia
Again, I thought this was a cute story. My main problem that kept this from a five-star rating was that Sam just was not a good PI. Like Knute said, she had gotten by on good luck, however sooner or later that would/will run out.
Rebecca Talley
I love the humor in this book. Samantha Shade is such a loveable character and her attitude is so funny. I laughed throughout the book.

I also enjoyed the mystery and didn't expect the outcome.

Definitely a fun read.
Peggy
Better than a lot of LDS fiction. (I may have liked it better if the first CD played from beginning to end on a regular playlist on my mp3 player...but instead I had to bounce around trying to guess which file came next.)
Connie Dickey
I love Kerry Blair books..very entertaining,, a lot of word play, and a great mystery. If it is a "Nightshade Mystery", they all have the same characters in each book. My husband likes to read these after I get finished.
Buffer
Nov 27, 2007 Buffer rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery /romance
Sam Shade is at it again. She has to solve the mystery of a haunted old church. This was slow at times as well as the first book, but the humor held me when the story line couldn't. I like the characters.
Carol
Fun read by an LDS author. This book is set in Phoenix so it was fun to read about the area I live in. There's just enough of the Gospel to be good but not preachy like some of the LDS authors get.
Susan
Father Rodriquez has asked Semantha, or Nightshade Investigations, to find the ghost that haunts San Rafael. She'll find more than a ghost this time--murderers, marigolds, and true love!
Kaye
Another light, fluffy mystery. Sam Shade investigates the haunting of an old church. I enjoyed the humor and the slightly more references to being LDS than in first book.
Kelli
Amazing book! I seriously can't wait for another one! It sucks you in until you find you've reached the end and want another. Very well thought out and written!
Chris Woodhouse
May 26, 2008 Chris Woodhouse rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: women
Recommended to Chris by: I like the author Kerry Blair
This book is really humorous and down to earth, yet having
a mystery about it. It is a good clean book and makes you laugh, yet is serious.
Courtney Stout
This was a really weird book. Wasn't a fan. It was modern but then had a mystery about ghosts haunting a place?? Not my cup of tea.
  • Above and Beyond (Duty Series, #2)
  • Vanished (Maggie McKenzie Mystery, #1)
  • Counting Stars
  • Rules of Engagement
  • Methods of Madness
  • Previously Engaged
  • House of Secrets (A Shandra Covington Mystery, #1)
  • Ripple Effect (Undercurrents, #2)
  • Legend of the Jewel (Isabelle Webb, #1)
Kerry Blair is a successful mystery author who weaves infectious humor throughout her work.
More about Kerry Blair...
This Just In Closing in Mummy's the Word Digging Up the Past The Heart Has Its Reasons