How Much Of Us There Was

How Much Of Us There Was

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A husband wakes to find his wife has had a seizure during the night. She is rushed to intensive care and everyday he sits anxiously beside her and at night sleeps by her bedside, dreaming she will wake and they can go home. Years later this story is re-told by their grandson, who wants to understand their deep love.
Published March 6th 2006 by HarperPerennial (first published March 7th 2005)

Jason
A heartbreaking yet lovely story about the dying and death of a spouse.
Amy Harper
I picked this book out for its content. A man witnesses his wife dying. I had to order from the UK. Then, I had to "learn" how to read this book. The form is revolutionary and after a few paragraphs, addictive. It is a straightforward style, so much so that I had a hard time reconciling it with anything else I have read recently. At the risk of sounding alarmist or defeatist or cliche, Michael Kimball is a wave in literature that harkens back to what Joyce and Woolf did to a genre about a centur...more
Diarmuid Hester
Deeply affecting portrait of death and decrepitude, of the attachment that accretes through everyday life and of our powerlessness to stay the inexorable march of death. In contrast to Nicholas Royle's Quilt - a work which similarly treats of grief and mourning - no attempt is made by this work's prevalent voice to seek solace and support in the endless lexicon of the English language; here words reveal a bathetic want of significance and, from the outset, are shown to never accurately convey th...more
Jasmine
This book is about Michael Kimball in the same way that The Things They Carried is about time O'Brien. The story is about what it means to love, truly love. The story is also about what loss really is. The emotions behind the book are beautiful. Honestly, the book made me worry a bit about Kimball, but after reading the P.S. I realize that the book really is a grieving process and he simply wrote that process exactly as it is.
David
The language in this book is deceptively simple, but with an economy of language Kimball is able to communicate a great deal about what it means to love and care for another person. The end of the book in particular is incredibly touching. I recommend the book both for the poignant observations that fill it and as a good read for people with a moderate to high level of Spanish-language proficiency.
Julie Anderson
While reading this book I found myself wondering what I would feel like if I was one the verge of or to loose someone very close to me- my spouse, my children, my parents.

I did not mind the POV writing or anonynity of the characters. This style of writing however, made the story more generic. It could apply to any age group or situation.
Kevin
A beautiful book that had me close to tears a couple of times. The subject matter could easily come across as too sentimental, but Kimball doesn't let the sap get too heavy. I also really love the brevity of the chapters and the sweetness of many of the images.
Luke Wassell
Not what I expected. A heart wrenching short story, its simplicity is what makes this book so special.
M. Sarki
I thought this book was the best of Michael Kimball. Hard to beat this effort. It touched me deeply.
Roland
Sad. Depressing. But very good. I like the way he wrote it. I enjoyed the 2 stories.
Shelly
I can not review this book until after the next book club meeting!
Michelle Gibbons
A beautiful tender story. I read it in one sitting.
Shellimurray
Shellimurray marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Eliot
Eliot marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Roithamer
Roithamer marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Leanne
Leanne marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
Blanca
Blanca marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2013
Derek
Derek marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2013
Saida
Saida marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013
Sarah is currently reading it
Apr 28, 2013
Lisa Guidarini
Lisa Guidarini marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2013
Erica Everett
Erica Everett marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Michael Kimball's third novel, DEAR EVERYBODY, will be published in the UK, US, and Canada this year. His first two novels, THE WAY THE FAMILY GOT AWAY (2000) and HOW MUCH OF US THERE WAS (2005), have both been translated (or are being translated) into many languages. He is also responsible for the art project--Michael Kimball Writes Your Life Story (on a postcard)--and the documentary film, I Wil...more
More about Michael Kimball...
Dear Everybody Big Ray Us The Way the Family Got Away Michael Kimball Writes Your Life Story (on a postcard)