Start by marking “How Much Of Us There Was” as Want to Read:
How Much Of Us There Was

How Much Of Us There Was

A husband wakes to find his wife has had a seizure during the night. She is rushed to intensive care and everyday he sits anxiously beside her and at night sleeps by her bedside, dreaming she will wake and they can go home. Years later this story is re-told by their grandson, who wants to understand their deep love.
Published March 6th 2006 by HarperPerennial (first published March 7th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about How Much Of Us There Was, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Much Of Us There Was

Jason
Jun 29, 2007 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A heartbreaking yet lovely story about the dying and death of a spouse.
Amy Harper
Jul 23, 2010 Amy Harper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book out for its content. A man witnesses his wife dying. I had to order from the UK. Then, I had to "learn" how to read this book. The form is revolutionary and after a few paragraphs, addictive. It is a straightforward style, so much so that I had a hard time reconciling it with anything else I have read recently. At the risk of sounding alarmist or defeatist or cliche, Michael Kimball is a wave in literature that harkens back to what Joyce and Woolf did to a genre about a centur ...more
Diarmuid Hester
Aug 26, 2011 Diarmuid Hester rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deeply affecting portrait of death and decrepitude, of the attachment that accretes through everyday life and of our powerlessness to stay the inexorable march of death. In contrast to Nicholas Royle's Quilt - a work which similarly treats of grief and mourning - no attempt is made by this work's prevalent voice to seek solace and support in the endless lexicon of the English language; here words reveal a bathetic want of significance and, from the outset, are shown to never accurately convey th ...more
Jasmine
Apr 12, 2009 Jasmine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american
This book is about Michael Kimball in the same way that The Things They Carried is about time O'Brien. The story is about what it means to love, truly love. The story is also about what loss really is. The emotions behind the book are beautiful. Honestly, the book made me worry a bit about Kimball, but after reading the P.S. I realize that the book really is a grieving process and he simply wrote that process exactly as it is.
David
May 29, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The language in this book is deceptively simple, but with an economy of language Kimball is able to communicate a great deal about what it means to love and care for another person. The end of the book in particular is incredibly touching. I recommend the book both for the poignant observations that fill it and as a good read for people with a moderate to high level of Spanish-language proficiency.
Julie Anderson
While reading this book I found myself wondering what I would feel like if I was one the verge of or to loose someone very close to me- my spouse, my children, my parents.

I did not mind the POV writing or anonynity of the characters. This style of writing however, made the story more generic. It could apply to any age group or situation.
Kevin
Mar 18, 2009 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful book that had me close to tears a couple of times. The subject matter could easily come across as too sentimental, but Kimball doesn't let the sap get too heavy. I also really love the brevity of the chapters and the sweetness of many of the images.
M. Sarki
Dec 13, 2012 M. Sarki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was the best of Michael Kimball. Hard to beat this effort. It touched me deeply.
Luke Wassell
Aug 03, 2013 Luke Wassell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not what I expected. A heart wrenching short story, its simplicity is what makes this book so special.
Hyram Sempere
Hyram Sempere rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Darry Stonem
Darry Stonem rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2012
Joanna
Joanna rated it did not like it
Mar 03, 2013
Lexie
Lexie rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2015
Roland
Dec 25, 2012 Roland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sad. Depressing. But very good. I like the way he wrote it. I enjoyed the 2 stories.
Sergio CV
Sergio CV rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Sofia Garza
Sofia Garza rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2015
ds white
ds white rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2009
Eric Swenson
Eric Swenson rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2011
Eva
Eva rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2013
Hugo
Hugo rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2013
Jamie Grefe
Jamie Grefe rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2011
Melodie
Melodie rated it it was ok
Aug 11, 2009
Chess via Email
Chess via Email rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2008
William
William rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2008
Charlie L
Charlie L rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2012
Joshua Donellan
Joshua Donellan rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2013
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2013
Julie Gengo
Julie Gengo rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2009
Jennifer rated it did not like it
Jan 08, 2013
Nena
Nena rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Michael Kimball's third novel, DEAR EVERYBODY, will be published in the UK, US, and Canada this year. His first two novels, THE WAY THE FAMILY GOT AWAY (2000) and HOW MUCH OF US THERE WAS (2005), have both been translated into many languages.

He is also responsible for the art project Michael Kimball Writes Your Life Story (on a postcard) and the documentary film, I Will Smash You.
More about Michael Kimball...