Start by marking “The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5)

The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar #5)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  481 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The Knights Templar

They were warrior monks, dedicated to the protection of pilgrims in the Holy Land—until an avaricious king who wanted their wealth savagely destroyed the order. One knight, however, escaped the stake, vowing justice for his innocent murdered brothers.

An Ill Wind

The arrival of the eminent Bishop of Exeter to the small Devonshire town of Crediton—coupled w
Published April 25th 2006 by Avon (first published November 12th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Abbot's Gibbet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Abbot's Gibbet

The Tainted Relic by The Medieval MurderersThe Merchant's Partner by Michael JecksThe Last Templar by Michael JecksA Moorland Hanging by Michael JecksThe Abbot's Gibbet by Michael Jecks
Knights Templar Books by Michael Jecks
4th out of 34 books — 6 voters
Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto EcoIvanhoe by Walter ScottDungeon, Fire and Sword by John J. RobinsonThe Last Templar by Michael JecksThe Oxford Illustrated History of the Crusades by Jonathan Riley-Smith
Knights Templar
21st out of 88 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael Jecks
Nov 16, 2011 Michael Jecks rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-own
This book was a real pleasure to write.
I've always been interested in markets and how they worked, and this book gave me the justification to go and find out all I could.
Tavistock was in turmoil when a decapitated corpse was found, and beneath the surface of all the merry-makers, it's clear that there's a terrible anger and violence ready to burst out.
A great crime novel.
Eden Bowditch
I have read 27 Michael Jecks books. All are great but this is my favorite! This is a brilliant series for anyone with a love for historic detail, great storytelling, and true mysteries solved by a wonderful writer. Quick note- I'd recommend starting AFTER the first book and then returning to it. It was better going back to the first than carrying the inner secret of the main characters.
A.L. Butcher
I have not read any Jecks before but I will definitely be looking out for more. I found this a little confusing at first but once the story got going it was excellent. The mystery moved back and forth between suspects as new clues can to the fore. I thought the main characters were interesting and well-rounded.

David Serxner
I get Michael Jeck's books sent to me from by my family in England, as I do not know if you can get them in the States. He does his research. The books are excellent--very well written. I like a good mystery, and these most certainly are!
Pat Knight
Loved it! Another great mystery by Michael Jecks.
LJ
THE ABBOT’S GIBBET (Traditional Mystery-Historical-England-1319) – VG
Jecks, Michael – 5th in series
Headline, 1998, UK paperback – ISBN: 0747255989
First Sentence: The sun was almost unbearably hot, the journey distinctly uncomfortable.
*** It is 1319 and people have come from all over to attend the Tavistock fair. Sir Baldwin Fernshill, Keeper of the King’s Peace, and Simon Puttock, bailiff of Lydford have come as guests of Abbot Robert Champeaux. When a headless body is found, the Abbott asks Bal
Dawn
I was just about ready to pull the plug on this series but having bought this book, I decided that I should read it before trading it in.

The characters were drawn out much more comprehensibly. I'm starting to see definite characterizations for Simon and Baldwin, and the secondary characters are gaining some interest. I very much liked the Abbot.
The mystery was well thought out and the history that created the mystery was quite interesting.

I'm not sure I'm quite happy about having another 30 o
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in October 1999.

There is little to say about The Abbot's Gibbet, fifth in Jecks' series of medieval West Country mysteries, that could not also be said about most of its predecessors. A competent puzzle, in this case plotted with a useful device to avoid the trap of overuse of coincidence (a fair to bring together the protagonists, usually scattered across Western Europe), it has strong characters and an excellent background. I have not yet tired of the serie
Bill Meehan
Good story. Jeck's does a great job mixing medieval life with mystery, looking forward to book 6.
Mirjam
Another great Knights Templar mystery by Michael Jecks. The Abbot's Gibbet offers murder, assault and theft and had me guessing till the end. With Baldwin and Simon on the case the victims are in the best of hands! This fifth in the series was another entertaining read. And Jecks even included a bit of romance. I can't wait to discover if we'll have a happy ending in the sequel, The Leper's Return.
Pam
I really liked the book. My big complaint though is that they sell it as a Knights Templar mystery, and it's not. If I had read the back carefully, I would have caught it. It takes place after the Templars were disbanded. So the main character USED to be a Templar. Sigh... It was a good story though.
VP Chandler
Quite an enjoyable read. I particularly liked the scene with the hounds. I'm interested in going to book one and reading the whole series. If you like Cadfael or the Templars, you'll be drawn into this series.
Betty
Nov 02, 2009 Betty is currently reading it
Recommends it for: Barbara Bailey
I love historical fiction from the Middle Ages. This is my first of the Knights Templar series, but I can tell already that I will want to read them all.
Theresa
I like historical mysteries, anyway, but I am really enjoying these. It is too bad that the one we read for book club wasn't Jecks' best.
Rene Knaphus
Oct 10, 2008 Rene Knaphus is currently reading it
This is another of the Michael Jenk's Knights Templar books. They are an easy read and provide some interesting historical information.
Kathy
I am still entertained by the life of the Middle Ages. Literary Review calls it a "brisk medieval whodunit" which is just what it is.
D.w.
A great many characters to contend with. As the series continues it seems that the sidekick, Simon, has less to contribute.
Marts  (Thinker)
Michael Jecks' historical mystery series 'Knights Templar'. This volume: Knights Templar #5 - The Abbot's Gibbet.
Nancy H
This is another in Michael Jeck's excellent medieval mystery series.
Nan
Great mystery series during the time of King Edward II rule.
Bridget
Good mystery
Adreona Brent
Adreona Brent marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Janelle
Janelle marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
  • The Devil's Hunt (Hugh Corbett, #10)
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Crowner John Mystery #2)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #5)
  • A Wicked Deed (Matthew Bartholomew, #5)
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • The Chatter of the Maidens (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #4)
  • The Plymouth Cloak (Roger the chapman, #2)
Michael Jecks is a best-selling writer of historical novels. The son of an Actuary, and the youngest of four brothers, he worked in the computer industry before becoming a novelist full time in 1994

He is the author of the internationally popular Templar series, perhaps the longest crime series written by a living author. Unusually, the series looks again at actual events and murders committed abou
More about Michael Jecks...

Knights Templar (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1)
  • The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2)
  • A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3)
  • The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)
  • The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6)
  • Squire Throwleigh's Heir (Knights Templar, #7)
  • Belladonna at Belstone (Knights Templar, #8)
  • The Traitor of St Giles (Knights Templar, #9)
  • The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker (Knights Templar, #10)
  • The Tournament of Blood (Knights Templar, #11)
The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1) A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3) The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2) The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6) The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)