Start by marking “The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5)

The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar #5)

The knights templar

They were warrior monks, dedicated to the protection of pilgrims in the Holy Land -- until an avaricious king savagely destroyed the order. One knight, however, escaped the stake, vowing justice for his murdered brothers.

A gathering of evil

With scores of merchants streaming into Devon to participate in the Tavistock fair of 1319, a goodly amount of unlaw
Published April 25th 2006 by Avon (first published November 12th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Abbot's Gibbet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Abbot's Gibbet

Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersThe Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. KingThe Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan BradleyMaisie Dobbs by Jacqueline WinspearMistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin
Favorite Historical Mystery Series
367th out of 785 books — 917 voters
Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto EcoThe Last Templar by Michael JecksIvanhoe by Walter ScottDungeon, Fire and Sword by John J. RobinsonThe Oxford Illustrated History of the Crusades by Jonathan Riley-Smith
Knights Templar
16th out of 98 books — 40 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael Jecks
Nov 16, 2011 Michael Jecks rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-own
This book was a real pleasure to write.
I've always been interested in markets and how they worked, and this book gave me the justification to go and find out all I could.
Tavistock was in turmoil when a decapitated corpse was found, and beneath the surface of all the merry-makers, it's clear that there's a terrible anger and violence ready to burst out.
A great crime novel.
Kathy
Dec 06, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it
Four stars because I "really liked it" but it is not the best kind of medieval mystery for me. I "really liked it" because of the determination and "knightly" thinking that brought the innocent out of gaol and found the guilty through threat to personal safety. It was written or published in 1998, so taking that into account I have yet to decide if I shall seek out further reading of the "crime-solving" of former Knight Templar Baldwin. The action was difficult to read...awkward phrasing/wording ...more
Fredrick Danysh
Aug 06, 2016 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it
Fans of Ellis Peters and the Brother Cadfael mysteries with enjoy this Medieval murder mystery. A decapitated body is found at Tavistock trade fair. The abbott asks former Templar Baldwin Furnshill and bailiff Simon Puttock to find the killer and save the fair. Throw in a love struck young couple and a pair of Italian merchants who might not be what they appear and you have ready made suspects.
Eden Bowditch
Jan 26, 2013 Eden Bowditch rated it it was amazing
I have read 27 Michael Jecks books. All are great but this is my favorite! This is a brilliant series for anyone with a love for historic detail, great storytelling, and true mysteries solved by a wonderful writer. Quick note- I'd recommend starting AFTER the first book and then returning to it. It was better going back to the first than carrying the inner secret of the main characters.
A.L. Butcher
Aug 02, 2012 A.L. Butcher rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, historical
I have not read any Jecks before but I will definitely be looking out for more. I found this a little confusing at first but once the story got going it was excellent. The mystery moved back and forth between suspects as new clues can to the fore. I thought the main characters were interesting and well-rounded.

David Serxner
Mar 13, 2008 David Serxner rated it it was amazing
I get Michael Jeck's books sent to me from by my family in England, as I do not know if you can get them in the States. He does his research. The books are excellent--very well written. I like a good mystery, and these most certainly are!
Pat Knight
Aug 08, 2012 Pat Knight rated it really liked it
Loved it! Another great mystery by Michael Jecks.
LJ
Oct 02, 2007 LJ rated it really liked it
THE ABBOT’S GIBBET (Traditional Mystery-Historical-England-1319) – VG
Jecks, Michael – 5th in series
Headline, 1998, UK paperback – ISBN: 0747255989
First Sentence: The sun was almost unbearably hot, the journey distinctly uncomfortable.
*** It is 1319 and people have come from all over to attend the Tavistock fair. Sir Baldwin Fernshill, Keeper of the King’s Peace, and Simon Puttock, bailiff of Lydford have come as guests of Abbot Robert Champeaux. When a headless body is found, the Abbott asks Bal
Dawn
I was just about ready to pull the plug on this series but having bought this book, I decided that I should read it before trading it in.

The characters were drawn out much more comprehensibly. I'm starting to see definite characterizations for Simon and Baldwin, and the secondary characters are gaining some interest. I very much liked the Abbot.
The mystery was well thought out and the history that created the mystery was quite interesting.

I'm not sure I'm quite happy about having another 30 o
Simon Mcleish
May 17, 2012 Simon Mcleish rated it liked it
Originally published on my blog here in October 1999.

There is little to say about The Abbot's Gibbet, fifth in Jecks' series of medieval West Country mysteries, that could not also be said about most of its predecessors. A competent puzzle, in this case plotted with a useful device to avoid the trap of overuse of coincidence (a fair to bring together the protagonists, usually scattered across Western Europe), it has strong characters and an excellent background. I have not yet tired of the serie
Mavis Hewitt
Jan 24, 2016 Mavis Hewitt rated it really liked it
Fast moving, 'who dun it' wasn't obvious, at least not to me. Learnt a bit more about the 14th century on the way.
Bill Meehan
Apr 26, 2015 Bill Meehan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-fiction
Good story. Jeck's does a great job mixing medieval life with mystery, looking forward to book 6.
Mirjam
Sep 11, 2011 Mirjam rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Another great Knights Templar mystery by Michael Jecks. The Abbot's Gibbet offers murder, assault and theft and had me guessing till the end. With Baldwin and Simon on the case the victims are in the best of hands! This fifth in the series was another entertaining read. And Jecks even included a bit of romance. I can't wait to discover if we'll have a happy ending in the sequel, The Leper's Return.
Pam
Oct 19, 2007 Pam rated it really liked it
I really liked the book. My big complaint though is that they sell it as a Knights Templar mystery, and it's not. If I had read the back carefully, I would have caught it. It takes place after the Templars were disbanded. So the main character USED to be a Templar. Sigh... It was a good story though.
V.P. Chandler
Apr 21, 2013 V.P. Chandler rated it really liked it
Quite an enjoyable read. I particularly liked the scene with the hounds. I'm interested in going to book one and reading the whole series. If you like Cadfael or the Templars, you'll be drawn into this series.
Betty
Nov 02, 2009 Betty is currently reading it
Recommends it for: Barbara Bailey
I love historical fiction from the Middle Ages. This is my first of the Knights Templar series, but I can tell already that I will want to read them all.
Theresa
Jul 16, 2010 Theresa rated it liked it
I like historical mysteries, anyway, but I am really enjoying these. It is too bad that the one we read for book club wasn't Jecks' best.
Rene Knaphus
Oct 10, 2008 Rene Knaphus is currently reading it
This is another of the Michael Jenk's Knights Templar books. They are an easy read and provide some interesting historical information.
Kathy
Jan 16, 2009 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am still entertained by the life of the Middle Ages. Literary Review calls it a "brisk medieval whodunit" which is just what it is.
D.w.
Dec 12, 2009 D.w. rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A great many characters to contend with. As the series continues it seems that the sidekick, Simon, has less to contribute.
Marts  (Thinker)
Michael Jecks' historical mystery series 'Knights Templar'. This volume: Knights Templar #5 - The Abbot's Gibbet.
Nancy H
Apr 03, 2012 Nancy H rated it really liked it
This is another in Michael Jeck's excellent medieval mystery series.
Nan
Jan 17, 2012 Nan rated it really liked it
Great mystery series during the time of King Edward II rule.
Bridget
Apr 13, 2010 Bridget rated it really liked it
Good mystery
Wazz
Apr 27, 2009 Wazz rated it really liked it
book 5
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Marija
Marija marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
AH
AH rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2016
  • The Devil's Hunt (Hugh Corbett, #10)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #5)
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Crowner John Mystery #2)
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • A Wicked Deed (Matthew Bartholomew, #5)
  • Whiter Than the Lily (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #7)
  • The Plymouth Cloak (Roger the Chapman, #2)
Michael Jecks is a best-selling writer of historical novels. The son of an Actuary, and the youngest of four brothers, he worked in the computer industry before becoming a novelist full time in 1994

He is the author of the internationally popular Templar series, perhaps the longest crime series written by a living author. Unusually, the series looks again at actual events and murders committed abou
More about Michael Jecks...

Knights Templar (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1)
  • The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2)
  • A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3)
  • The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)
  • The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6)
  • Squire Throwleigh's Heir (Knights Templar, #7)
  • Belladonna at Belstone (Knights Templar, #8)
  • The Traitor of St Giles (Knights Templar, #9)
  • The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker (Knights Templar, #10)
  • The Tournament of Blood (Knights Templar, #11)