The Haunted Abbot (Sister Fidelma, #12)

The Haunted Abbot (Sister Fidelma #12)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  551 ratings  ·  21 reviews
In December of 666 A.D., Fidelma of Cashel and her companion Brother Eadulf, having completed their business with the Archbishop of Canterbury, make one final journey before returning to Ireland. At the insistence of Brother Botulf, a childhood friend of Eadulf, they detour from their trip to Eadulf's home village and make their way to Aldred's Abbey. Arriving at midnight...more
Published December 6th 2005 by Signet (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Haunted Abbot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Haunted Abbot

Nick
I've read four of the Sister Fidelma mysteries now. I don't read serial novels very much, and when i do I like to be able to read them out of order. I read this one after the first one because it was the "Christmas" offering in the series. No. 11 in the series, it turned out to be spookier, grittier, and more "into" tho common folk of Sister Fidelma's era (7th century Britain) than was the first entry. Perhaps the winter atmosphere made it so, but it was much more effective, I felt.

The "Christm...more
Laura Edwards
Mark Stone
A terrific story with incredible historical accuracy. As good as the story was, the writing was even better. Tremayne has become one of my favorite authors of all-time.
Denise
This was a very dark read as it dealt with ghosts, a suspected suicide, the massacre of women and children and an accusation of witchcraft by a member of the Church. Sister Fidelma and Brother Eadulf ("ah-dulf") brave the cold, near-death sickness and a tortured mind in their quest to find the truth.

All of these stories are very tightly written with non-stopping plots but I rated this 3 stars only because the relationship between Sister Fidelma and Eadulf was not fleshed out enough IMHO. And the...more
Sunsy
Das zweite Buch meiner Urlaubslektüre stammt wieder aus meinem SuB. In fast einem Rutsch weg gelesen und für sehr gut befunden (09/10 Punkte).

Meine Rezension könnt ihr hier nachlesen: http://sunsys-blog.blogspot.de/2014/0... .
Carmen
Always of interest, another chronicle in the life of Sister Fidelma. She is back with her friend, and together they are in Saxon England visiting his homeland. There it doesn't go well. Sister Fidelam is very sick, Eadwulf discovers that the friend he had meant to visit has died just that morning, and then Sister Fidelma is accused of witchcraft. The story is full of who is fighting against whom, but it all makes sense. Typically the books are set in Ireland during the 600's, so it was a real tr...more
Ann
As usual with this series, lots of fun - a "Cadfael" genre which I enjoy
Carole Moran
Sister Fidelma does it again. Even after a brief illness, she puts together the clues and testimonies Brother Eadulf has collected and makes sense of the chaos. Another great mystery by Tremayne, and this Signet paperback includes a pronunciation guide to the Old Irish language used in names in these books. Also includes a historical note regarding the theme of this story.

These are very educational mystery novels and give insight to the great system of laws the Irish had while the rest of Europ...more
Jessica
Mar 29, 2008 Jessica rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jessica by: I did
Leah
(my copy of this is the UK edition from 2002) I am a HUGE fan of Peter Tremayne and Sister Fidelma. I'm a total Fidelma nerd who went to Ireland just to see locations from the books! These are A-1, better than the best, "don't talk to me while I'm reading them" books! I even go so far as to order the books from the UK so I can get them a year in advance.
Chriss
This is a great book with strong characters set in a dark, historically accurate setting. My introduction to Sister Fidelmas was through the author's short stories, though, so I found the pacing of a novel with these characters too slow for me.

I passed the book on to my sister who loves historical mysteries and I'm sure she'll love it.
Minnie
Ja, beetje tegenstrijdig he. Eerst het eerste boek uit de serie afdoen als niet echt mijn ding, maar dan toch het tweede gaan lezen. Dit komt omdat ik deze uit de bieb gehaald had, en het toch wel heel mooie covers zijn. Ik had de stille hoop dat het volgende deel mij wel beter ging liggen, maar dit was niet waar.
Kelly
I didn't like this one as much as some of the others. I think I've read to many Sister Fidelma's too close together this summer. I'm a bit irritated by some of the stock phrases that I might not have noticed without proximity.
Aleta
Feb 02, 2010 Aleta rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aleta by: Beth
This was very interesting. I'd like to pick up some of the earlier books in the series sometime to read.
Douglas
My first book read by this author. Fairly interesting story. I'll read more by him in future.
Jane
Another good book in the series--one of the few series that has kept my interest.
Patricia
Fidelma is smart both as an advocate and a detective.
Ruthmarie
How can anyone not like Sister Fidelma?!
Patricia
I am just addicted to this series!
Jeanne
Jeff
Jeff added it
Sep 01, 2014
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
  • The Crown in Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #2)
  • The Squire's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #10)
  • A Spy for the Redeemer (Owen Archer, #7)
  • Cursed in the Blood (Catherine LeVendeur, #5)
Peter Berresford Ellis (born 10 March 1943) is a historian, literary biographer, and novelist who has published over 90 books to date either under his own name or his pseudonyms Peter Tremayne and Peter MacAlan. He has also published 95 short stories. His non-fiction books, articles and academic papers have made him acknowledged as an authority on Celtic history and culture. Under Peter Tremayne,...more
More about Peter Tremayne...
Absolution by Murder (Sister Fidelma, #1) Shroud for the Archbishop (Sister Fidelma, #2) The Subtle Serpent (Sister Fidelma, #4) Suffer Little Children (Sister Fidelma, #3) Act of Mercy (Sister Fidelma, #8)