Start by marking “A Month of Summer (Blue Sky Hill #1)” as Want to Read:
A Month of Summer (Blue Sky Hill #1)

A Month of Summer (Blue Sky Hill #1)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,082 Ratings  ·  174 Reviews
For Rebecca Macklin, an ordinary summer brings about an extraordinary change of heart when she discovers that her aging father has been wandering the Dallas streets alone, and his wife, Hanna Beth, has landed in a nursing home. Now Rebecca must put aside old resentments and return to her childhood home. In this moving story of separation and forgiveness, two women will unr ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about A Month of Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Month of Summer

Relyn
Mar 13, 2016 Relyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: someone looking for a light-hearted, feel-good book
Recommended to Relyn by: I already love Lisa Wingate.
7/22/08
I love Lisa Wingate's Texas novels. I have no idea why I haven't gobbled this one up already. I tend to rush to read my library books because I have to return them and wait around on the ones I've bought. Silly hunh? Of course, I've had the new Marissa de los Santos for at least two months and haven't read it. yet. What's up with me? So many books, so little time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

9/10/08
Once again, Lisa did not disappoint. This one reminded me
Pamela
"Life . . . is [like] a journey by train. Outside the window, the scenery is rushing by. If you look away for even a instant, something passes uncaptured. Far in the future, when you leaf through the photo album of memory, your finger aged and crooked, you will rub lightly over that empty space, and you'll wonder, what might have been."

Beautiful! Simply and realistically, beautiful.

Lisa Wingate is fast becoming one of my favorite inspirational authors of true-to-life fiction; Hued with pastel c
Kelly
Nov 30, 2009 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I adored this book for many reasons:
1. It is a clean read. No trash or filth involved in the entire book. Harder and harder to find these days.
2. It is a light and easying read.
3. Lisa Wingate never disappoints me with her stories.
4. Being a Texan, I love that she uses Texas as the backdrop of most of her stories....I feel more connected because I actually know the locations she chooses.
5. I feel that she completely nails the mind of a person left unable to communicate by a stroke...the way the
Kim
Jun 21, 2010 Kim rated it it was amazing
Read this book all on 6/20. Excellent start. A woman deals with her husband possibly having an affair while having to deal with the loss of her mother and having to return to her childhood home to assist with her father and his wife, who began as the "other woman". Done well with characters that re-appear in "The Summer Kitchen".
Cathy Daniel
Apr 13, 2015 Cathy Daniel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
I LOVED this book! I can't believe I put off reading it so long thinking I'd miss the romance or it would be too sad. It was poignant but it was hopeful. I love the simple, real characters and emotions. Everything from the aide at the nursing home to even Kay Kay the missing character (but still very present) was so well done and realistic. I'm really going to miss these characters!
Michelle
Jul 09, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing
I just love Lisa Wingate. I've read two of her books and I can't wait to get to the library tomorrow to get more. She can put to words what is in most peoples hearts and Its so wonderful to feel that emotion threw her writing.

"Life, he says, is a journey by train. Outside the window, the scenery is rushing by.If you look away for even an instant, something passes uncaptured. Far in the future, when you leaf through the photo album of memory, your finguer, aged and crooked, will rub lightly over
Diana
Jan 08, 2014 Diana rated it really liked it
A wonderful surprise! The author's character development was very well done & the plot moved along nicely & was very well developed. As someone who has nursed family members through strokes & Alzheimer's Disease, I can say that the depictions that Ms. Wingate wrote are very true. I look forward to reading more from this author, and a sequel to this book, would be awesome! I already miss so many of the characters.
Rachel
Jul 23, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I liked how the characters all intertwined and became stronger because they needed one another. Forgiveness goes a long way.
Joan
Jan 22, 2009 Joan rated it it was amazing
More about people getting older and the challenges families face as they do. This is an uplifting and inspirational book. I couldn't put it down cause I wanted to know what would happen. It's well written and interesting. I kind of figured out what had happened long before all was revealed but still engrossing. The faith part wasn't sledge hammer in it's appearance nor was it looked at closely.
This book encourages optimism, a much needed outlook today, with a message of slow down and put famil
Chris
Aug 06, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a good novel about today's challenges for women and families
I really, really liked this book. I have enjoyed Lisa Wingate's writing and thoroughly enjoyed her Tending Roses series. This is the beginning of a new series and it feels to me like her writing is energized and really becoming honed. She does a wonderful job with the characterizations and she has created many likable characters in this book that you want to know more about. I see lots of richness to be mined in future books in this series and highly recommend it. A very good novel.
Vicki
Aug 10, 2014 Vicki rated it really liked it
I've been reading a lot of Lisa Wingate lately and really enjoying it.

There were a few thoughts from A Month of Summer that I enjoyed: "There are times when you awake, and sense the coming day hovering just beyond the edge of the world. Your heartbeat quickens, anticipating the blinding brightness of it, grasping its awesome possibility. You await the first rays of dawn, feeling that God must have whispered something in your ear just before you roused from sleep. You can hear the voice, not quit
Rita
Jan 19, 2016 Rita rated it liked it
I've read three Lisa Wingate books, now. The first one was the Sea Keepers Daughter, which I think got sent back to the library before I entered it here. Naturally, it was my favorite so far. Because of that book, I ordered every Wingate book the library had. This one, A month of Summer was really good except for a problem I've noticed with this one and the next one I read (Blue Moon Bay).

Rebecca's experiences wore me out. No one could endure what she did--taking care of her demented father, his
Donna
Oct 23, 2014 Donna rated it it was amazing
As I read this book, I felt so deeply connected to the characters. My mother recently passed after living with dementia for her last year. I always wondered if she had things she wanted to say just like Hannah Beth did but couldn't find the words. I found myself quite connected to her struggle to communicate. It's a helpless feeling watching someone's mind slowly creep away from them. I think Lisa Wingate captured those feelings of all who are affected by this disease in such a true and realisti ...more
Heather Hart
Jan 22, 2014 Heather Hart rated it it was ok
I had just finished reading two other books by Lisa Wingate and snagged this one and it's sequel from the library because the others were AMAZING. I was so bummed that these didn't hold up. Part of it might be that they weren't clearly labeled as women's fiction - but then again, I didn't look overly hard. The first two books I read by her were inspirational romance novels, so that's what I was expecting.

The story line was still good, the characters memorable, but I felt like there was a ton of
Nathalie
Jun 28, 2009 Nathalie rated it really liked it
This time it was somewhat predictable and tied together a little too quickly, neatly & nicely... however, the topic of aging parents was something I enjoyed reading about because I began thinking about how I would handle it being the oldest child in my family... And again, I just like her writing style.
Diane  Sugars
Jul 11, 2014 Diane Sugars rated it did not like it
I have very confliction opinions of this book. the story started out good, with interesting characters and storyline, but it took me a very long time to read this book. The most aggravating thing with this book was that it just ended. It ended very abruptly and left me with what seems like 100 loose ends dangling. I felt that the storyline sucked you into these characters lives and then just left every single issue in the book hanging at the end. My question is, what happened to all these charac ...more
Teresa
This book has made it to my favorites list. It was so rich. I so didn't want it to end. The theme for this book is redemption. Redemption is woven throughout every difficulty, every seemingly impossible situation -- and there are plenty of impossible situations. But instead of being depressing, the story has an uplifting, hopeful tone. It's never preachy or even overtly Christian. Hope pours through every situation. At times there's a bit of cliche, but with the tone, theme, and the richly drawn ...more
Betty
Nov 24, 2015 Betty rated it really liked it
I love this author's style. She takes her time to craft an excellent story that never flags -- perfect pacing! I especially empathized with the mentally challenged man and the elderly lady recovering from a stroke. Wingate knows how to write "real" characters. She either does in-depth research or is exceptionally observant of people, or both. I appreciate that she brings the reader to a resting place at the end of the story but does not wrap up all the loose ends. This makes her stories even mor ...more
kim
I read this book because I was attratcted to the cover of the sequel, Beyond Summer. This was a very good book, told from alternating points of view of several of the characters. The story is about Rececca, a woman who, along with her mother, was 'abandonded' by her father when she was a young girl. He left he family for 'another woman' who had a young son. Though the son considered Rebecca his 'sister' she never returned the feelings and would have nothing to do with her father. Her mother enc ...more
Angie
Feb 24, 2011 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Another great Lisa Wingate "read", via audiobook download from NetLibrary. Fascinating concept featuring a narrator/character who has suffered a stroke, so much of her commentary is actually just thoughts, rather than dialogue, since she must re-learn how to speak & communicate.

Though Wingate's signature quirky characters of Lonestar Cafe and Talk of the Town were absent, this book didn't fail to deliver on well-developed characters with complex histories and motivations. The co-main charac
Katherine Jones
Feb 19, 2013 Katherine Jones rated it it was amazing
For my taste, Lisa Wingate novels are hit and miss. While I admire this Christian novelist for her ability to cross over into the mainstream market, I find some of her novels anemic–the characters familiar, the plot predictable, the premise bland. Tending Roses, her 2001 debut with New American Library, comes to mind.

But this one’s different.

In A Month of Summer, we find Rebecca Macklin, a successful California attorney, reluctantly flying to Dallas, to the home of her father and her stepmother
Erin
Johanna Parker's versatile voice brings this book to life in the audiobook version of Lisa Wingate's novel. I checked it out at random from my library's digital audiobook service when I was testing their updated mobile app. I'd never heard of the book or the author; I just liked the cover. I liked the ideas of planting a seedling and a month of summer. What an amazing bonus it was to discover such a lovely story!

Rebecca Macklin has spent more than 30 years believing her father abandoned her and
Andrea
Sep 26, 2011 Andrea rated it liked it
"For Rebecca Macklin, an ordinary summer brings about an extraordinary change of heart when she discovers that her aging father has been wandering the Dallas streets alone, and his wife, Hanna Beth, has landed in a nursing home. Now Rebecca must put aside old resentments and return to her childhood home. In this moving story of separation and forgiveness, two women will unravel the betrayals of the past and discover the true meaning of family."-B&N.com overview

My favorite books are those tha
Jul 29, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Every time I picked up this book, I couldn't stop reading. Wingate has a talent for ending chapters that leave you wanting more. I enjoyed the story; I shouldn't be surprised since one of my favorites is Wingate's Tending Roses. It was especially poignant reading about Teddy since that will be my life now. The ending left a lot to be desired between Rebecca and her husband Kyle--maybe that will be cleared up in the next book.
Georgine
Oct 09, 2015 Georgine rated it it was amazing
I love books by Lisa Wingate
this book it about a woman who goes back home to help her dad and finds out secrets that were kept from her when she was younger. It shows that there are two sides to every story and you should not just believe one. She wasted years being able to enjoy one family by believing only the one story she was told.
I would recommend this book greatly.
Tina Wilson
May 27, 2014 Tina Wilson rated it really liked it
Really liked this one. The more I read her books the more I realize why I like them so much. She draws together such disparate characters and their redemption comes in choosing to receive one another and create community. This is something I feel like God is challenging me with in my own life as good friends move elsewhere and he is bringing unexpected people into my life.
Dianne
Sep 24, 2013 Dianne rated it really liked it
What a surprising delight! I have a new author to read. I picked this book up at a library book sale. I loved the cover and it looked brand new. To my surprise I had purchased a book titled The Summer Kitchen, that I was planning on reading before the end of summer as a brake in my more serious epic novels I have been reading. I thought the author's name sounded familiar. A Month of Summer is book one in a series with book two being The Summer Kitchen. I took that as providence and started readi ...more
Nikki
Feb 18, 2015 Nikki rated it really liked it
The characters in this book are completely realistic and lovable. This is a wonderful tale of a family forced to come to know one another. A great reminder that one should not squander the relationships in ones life. Sometimes it takes work to find out what is real in the lives around us.
Anne
Feb 16, 2011 Anne rated it really liked it
I really love Lisa Wingate, and she didn't disappoint. I started the book Monday afternoon and finished it Tuesday afternoon. I loved having a book about someone who isn't young and single.

Here's a description from Google Books: For Rebecca Macklin, an ordinary summer brings about an extraordinary change of heart when she discovers that her aging father has been wandering the Dallas streets alone, and his wife, Hanna Beth, has landed in a nursing home. Now Rebecca must put aside old resentments
Just - The romance reader
Sep 27, 2010 Just - The romance reader rated it really liked it
Shelves: at-library
It feels like it took FOREVER for me to finish this book, but I think that had more to do with my time management and much less to do with how good the book is because I really enjoyed this one. It's inspiring, emotional, and heart warming. A Month of Summer is also at times heart breaking.

I don't think I had one reading session with this one that didn't make me cry. So much about this book was real to me. I identified with Rebecca's feelings of disdain for a parent that she felt abandoned her a
  • Expect the Sunrise (Team Hope, #3)
  • Where Grace Abides (The Riverhaven Years, #2)
  • At the Scent of Water (Second Chances Collection, #3)
  • Try Darkness
  • The Great Eight: How to Be Happy (Even When You Have Every Reason to be Miserable)
  • The Moment Between
  • Home Another Way
  • Remember to Forget (Clayburn,#1)
  • What She Left for Me
  • Perilous Cove (Perilous Safety Series - Book 1)
  • Jacob's List
  • Rahab's Story (Women of the Bible)
  • Need You Now
  • Another Dawn
  • The Book of Peach
  • Return of the Stardust Cowgirl  (Lucy Hatch, #4)
  • Two Destinies (Secrets of the Cross Trilogy #3)
  • Come Spring
Lisa Wingate is a popular inspirational speaker, magazine columnist, and national bestselling author of several books, including Tending Roses, Good Hope Road, The Language of Sycamores, and Drenched in Light. Her work was recently honored by the Americans for More Civility for promoting greater kindness and civility in American life. Lisa and her family live in Central Texas.
More about Lisa Wingate...

Blue Sky Hill (4 books)
  • The Summer Kitchen  (Blue Sky Hill #2)
  • Beyond Summer (Blue Sky Hill #3)
  • Dandelion Summer (Blue Sky Hill #4)

“The hardest thing about the road not taken is that you never know where it might have led.” 516 likes
“I never did try to make my daddy understand why I left for the army the way I did. I just thought, because he loved me, he should let it go, and if he couldn’t, well then he didn’t love me like I thought. Young folks get love and understandin’ backward, don’t they? Love don’t come galloping across fresh pastures like a fine white horse with understandin’ riding soft and easy on its back. Understandin’ plods in like an old plow mule, breaking sod. It shades the earth with its body, and waters it with sweat. Love grows up in the furrow that’s left behind. It takes some patience. I was an impatient young man. ~Claude Fisher” 0 likes