Start by marking “Evans to Betsy (Constable Evans Mysteries #6)” as Want to Read:
Evans to Betsy (Constable Evans Mysteries #6)

Evans to Betsy (Constable Evans #6)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  750 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
The charming village of Llanfair, the setting for Rhys Bowen's beloved Constable Evans mysteries, sits amid lush, rolling Welsh meadows populated with quaint cottages and is considered by many of its colorful locals to be a kind of paradise. Unfortunately, there aren't many opportunities for young people in Llanfair, so when an exciting and glamorous American woman breezes ...more
Hardcover, First edition, 214 pages
Published March 14th 2002 by Minotaur Books (first published March 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Evans to Betsy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evans to Betsy

Ed
#6 in the Evan Evans series. North Wales constable Evans is back and dealing with barmaid Betsy's aspirations to be a Celtic psychic. Though he finds it difficult to suspect her, Betsy was the only other person around when his girlfriend Bronwyn became deathly ill and Betsy woke him in the middle of the night with an uncannily accurate dream of the location of the American psychic's body.

Evan Evans series - Evan Evans takes on a case with New Age overtones. Betsy the barmaid has long been desper
June Ahern
Apr 16, 2015 June Ahern rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Skye in JuneA delightful mystery. My first time read of Rhys Bowen's books. I enjoyed the setting and characters, the mystery and the "new age" theme. Being Scottish I related to the ways of the Welsh but have never been to the country - yet! All in all, my reading experience was fun and the author had me going back and forth between who I thought "done it." I read mostly mystery/detective but have become sickened and tired of the gory details of murdered victims and "real life" situations - ...more
Kathy Davie
Sixth in the Constable Evans mysteries series set in Llanfair, North Wales and revolving around Constable Evan Evans, the local policeman for the area.

The Story
Scam artists arrive in Wales and it takes a good while before we learn just why Emmy claims that Betsy has psychic powers and entices her into working at Sacred Grove, a New Age retreat that has just opened up. There are some benefits for the police in the scam in that it reopens the disappearance of a young American student. A coincidenc
Mark Baker
Mar 13, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2004
Betsy the barmaid is discovered to have psychic powers by a visiting American. Evan doesn't believe until Betsy shows up at his house with a vision of a dead body - a vision that turns out to be true. Does she truly have a gift? Another great read with a strong plot and charming characters.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Mary Baker
Feb 06, 2016 Mary Baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very clever book. Betsy is one of the delightful, recurring characters in this series which is set in a very small town in Wales. Because the police department is cutting back on expenses, Evans territory has been expanded; but, instead of having a clunker of a car to drive, he now has a motor cycle.
Sally
Oct 03, 2011 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
This was not the best of the Evan Evans stories I have read, but I give it 4 stars anyway, because it is still very smoothly written with a good plot, and because I enjoy the consistency of visiting Llanfair and the resident characters once again.

This time there is not as much description of the landscape and lifestyle of Wales, and the focus is more on the characters and the odd mystery surrounding the strange psychic "resort" and incorporation of Druid elements. There is a little progress made
Norma Huss
Jun 01, 2013 Norma Huss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do love Constable Evan Evans! Unfortunately, many aren't in print, so I have to track down a used one, since my husband loves him too, and although some are in e-book, he has to have a real paper book.

Betsy is the bar maid, and this episode finds her mixed up with Druids and new age mystic stuff. Evans has moved out of his boarding house and trying to batch it, since Bronwyn (maybe my spelling is wrong), his steady girl insists he should learn how to take care of himself. He has been assigned
Niece
May 30, 2015 Niece rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely love the Constable Evans Series. Set in a quaint village in Wales the story offers a light romance/mystery. Love the characters!
Dec 28, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book. I enjoyed hearing more about the characters.
Apr 26, 2015 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Druids, Evans and Betsy, who could ask for more?
Lorlee
Jan 24, 2016 Lorlee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
nice mysteries.
Shauna
May 06, 2010 Shauna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't one of my favorite Evan books, but I still liked it. Evan is asked to investigate the disappearance of an American college student whose last communication with her parents leads him to a New Age center complete with psychics and a Druid priestess. The majority of the story takes place at this center, which keeps him out of the quaint village of Llanfair for most of the book. I prefer the installments that keep him in town more and interacting with the towns quirky residents.
Rachel
Jul 08, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I had heard of the existence of "cozy mysteries" this past spring; now I finally understand what that means. There is murder in Bowen's depiction of small-town Welsh life, but it's just one event in the lives of the local constable and the other characters who populate the story. The depictions of life in Wales and the relationships between the inhabitants of the town make for an entertaining and fun diversion of a book.
D. Eric
Oct 05, 2009 D. Eric rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A fun if predictable mystery revolving around a New Age Spa. Evans also continues his quest to live life on his own to prove to Brownwyn that he is a worthy candidate for matrimony. Between it all, Betsy finds herself in danger and in possession of psychic powers, and it is up to Evans to save the day and solve the murders.
Emma
Jun 13, 2011 Emma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am getting desperate, have nothing to read!
This was fun. I love Bowen's "Royal" series which is more my style, but this was a fun mystery with interesting twists and good outcome. Very much like MC Beaton's Hamish MacBeth series. Would be fun to listen to.
Patricia
May 17, 2012 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another eventful time in North Wales with Constable Evans. I really did not read the Druid inserts because the author said they were not true. I could have done without them, in other words, and the book could have, too. I would give this 3.5 stars.
Lacey
Feb 13, 2008 Lacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are my favorite "English" mysteries. She makes them light, and airy. So, the mystery is there, but it is entertaining, not dark and sinister. I love how she portrays Welsh village life. These are great for light reading.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
While I love learning the Welsh, love the romance and the mystery of the murders, I have to say, in this book I was not taken with Betsy and she was the main focus. It was cleverly written but took me longer to read.
Deena
Nov 02, 2011 Deena rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, bosler
This one has more Betsy than Evan, let alone Bron. I don't like Betsy. I'll try another, but for me this was the most feeble one yet, so if the next one isn't better I'll probably give up.
George
Apr 18, 2007 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: British Mystery readers
Another in the adventures of Welsh Constable Evan Evans in his rural northrn Wales town. There is the usual murder to solve mixed with a New Age community, Druids, and psychic abilities.
Carol
Another mystery for light reading. This time it involves a spa in the Welsh countryside where a Celtic cult is practiced. Constable Evan Evans -- how more Welsh can you get?
Ann
Dec 19, 2013 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
glad Betsy got her chance to be part of an investigation, I gain a lot more respect for her character in this story!
Ralynn
Sep 15, 2011 Ralynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this author she has a funny humor (welsh) and her books just make you smile and laugh at everything evan does
Oct 24, 2012 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Somewhat predictable, but I liked it pretty well. I liked all the information about the Druids.
Tom Jenckes
I enjoy reading about Wales since my family has roots there.
Jeanette
This was a good book. I enjoyed the mystery and the characters in it.
Dee
Aug 12, 2013 Dee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting story even though I knew who did it.
Helen
A fun, engaging read.
Randa
Mar 04, 2013 Randa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun mystery
  • Death of a Village (Hamish Macbeth, #18)
  • Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon (Meg Langslow, #4)
  • Design For Murder (Death On Demand, #2)
  • Rebels of Babylon (Abel Jones, #6)
  • Murder At Ebbets Field
  • The Fortieth Birthday Body (Susan Henshaw, #2)
202867
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in the 1930s. It's lighter, sexier, funnier, wicked satire. It was voted by readers as best mystery series one year.
I am also known for my Constable Evans books, set
More about Rhys Bowen...

Constable Evans (10 books)
  • Evans Above (Constable Evans, #1)
  • Evan Help Us (Constable Evans, #2)
  • Evanly Choirs  (Constable Evans, #3)
  • Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)
  • Evan Can Wait (Constable Evans, #5)
  • Evan Only Knows (Constable Evans, #7)
  • Evan's Gate (Constable Evans, #8)
  • Evan Blessed (Constable Evans, #9)
  • Evanly Bodies (Constable Evans, #10)