No Strings Attached

No Strings Attached

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  18 reviews
What happened to Happily Ever After? Judy is getting married on Saturday and it's going to be the happiest day of her life if it kills her. It's a military operation: the dress, the three-tiered cake, the uncle that nobody will sit beside at the reception. But she knows it'll all be worth it because marriage is for ever, right? But the night before the nuptials, fiance Bar...more
Published by Headline Review (first published January 1st 2007)

Melinda Elizabeth
There must be a reason why it took me close to two months to finish this book, and it can't be because it was so good I wanted to extend the joy.
There's not much to say about this, the characters were dull, or worse, irritating, and there's so many that just drop off halfway through the book and you never hear about them again!
It feels like many of the chapters in this book are rehashed over and over, and the conclusion isn't at all worth all the effort I invested in reading this.
Rebecca
Girl is about to get married and two days before the wedding, Dude leaves her. Girl ends up having a fling with Dude's mate, who is staying with them and she has a crush on him. Dude comes home and tries to win Girl back, but (thank god!) girl says no. Only because she likes Mate now! But Mate is from Australia, while the story takes place in Ireland. A few months later, when Dude finds out that Girl slept with Mate after Dude ran away, Dude, freaks out. Mate, who is a total player, comes back t...more
Nicki
Got through it, but pretty lame. Didn't really enjoy the characters, though at least Judy gained a bit of backbone by the end. Story is of how Judy is jilted the day before her wedding to Barry. There's then a dragged out "will she, won't she" with Barry's best friend who is promiscuous. It's obvious from the title where this one is going, but it takes a long time to get there and it's anti climatic (no pun intended) when it does. Judy is dull for most of this, Barry's not much better, and Lenny...more
Christine
Judy is preparing to get married to Barry whom she has lived with for a number of years. But after Lenny arrives from Australia to be Barry's best man - Barry walks out (the day before the wedding). The book looks at the repercussions of this decision and Judy's realisation that she needs more from life. (also shows Bev and Vinnie's developing relationship (mistress becomes a 'wife'), and Angie and Biffo work through income differences)
Teena in Toronto
I liked the writing style ... funny and a tad sarcastic.

Yes, it's predictable ... there are lots of subplots and everyone ends up living happily every after.

If you are looking for something light with a happy ending, I'd recommend it.

Though it's set in Ireland, I had John Hannah's accent in my head when they spoke. I know he's Scottish but I just saw Sliding Doors a couple nights ago.
Ruth
The plot was slow moving making it extremely hard to get into. Some parts of the story were quite laboured and dull. The subplots although were pretty good as far as subplots go and were well linked the the main plot. This book was ok but I have read better versions
Jeanne
I needed a time out from the traumatic book I'm reading. This fit the bill; silly, light chick-lit and you just know that in the end they're all going to live happily ever after. Provided a few hours' escape from the real world.
Ellen
This was the 1st book I read of Clare's.
I thoroughly enjoyed it.
She told a good story and it was funny in places.
The only disadvantage was it had a predictable ending.
Tanya Ansin
I just love imperfect romance stories. Describes today's insecurities with relationships and the difficulties that come with marriage and exciting new flings.
Jenn
I didn't like Barry or even Judy very much. But I did like how the tale was spun. Even if some of it was rather predictable.
Nicola
Sep 08, 2013 Nicola added it
Liked it, predictable at the end but laughed out loud more than once, worth a read!
Melody
Je me suis ennuyée et j'ai eu l'impression qu'il ne se passait rien de très intéressant.
Haylee
i loved this book and could not put it down.read it you will love it.
Lisa
Brilliant, warm and funny story, really enjoyed it :)
Laila Rahman
typical, but still interesting
Lani
It wasn't amazing but it was funny.
Natalie
loved it AAA++++
Celeste Ní raois
Celeste Ní raois marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Olivia O'connor
Olivia O'connor marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Claire Thompson
Claire Thompson marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Clare Dowling is a screenwriter and bestselling author. She's had many jobs, including as an actress, a waitress and a legal secretary before turning to writing full-time. She's had eleven novels published, and she also writes scripts for television. She lives in Dublin with her family.
More about Clare Dowling...
My Fabulous Divorce Just the Three of Us Too Close for Comfort Going It Alone Expecting Emily