Start by marking “No Strings Attached” as Want to Read:
No Strings Attached

No Strings Attached

What happened to Happily Ever After? Judy is getting married on Saturday and it's going to be the happiest day of her life if it kills her. It's a military operation: the dress, the three-tiered cake, the uncle that nobody will sit beside at the reception. But she knows it'll all be worth it because marriage is for ever, right? But the night before the nuptials, fiance Bar ...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Headline Review (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about No Strings Attached, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Strings Attached

Mireille
So I read this in French and usually I review in French, but usually I also never read translations, so I'll review in English. I expected nothing of it and indeed, the translation was terrible, but I actually really got into the story.

It's more chick lit than romance, the nuance being that it's all about Judy and not so much about her love story with Lenny, though the under-developed parts of it we saw were great. (Hate turning into loooove! (view spoiler)
Rebecca
Jun 03, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
Girl is about to get married and two days before the wedding, Dude leaves her. Girl ends up having a fling with Dude's mate, who is staying with them and she has a crush on him. Dude comes home and tries to win Girl back, but (thank god!) girl says no. Only because she likes Mate now! But Mate is from Australia, while the story takes place in Ireland. A few months later, when Dude finds out that Girl slept with Mate after Dude ran away, Dude, freaks out. Mate, who is a total player, comes back t ...more
Amber
Oct 28, 2014 Amber rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I enjoyed reading this book. Was it terribly original, no. Was is entirely predictable, yes. But was it a light fun read anyway, absolutely. It had your typical chick-lit character roster, but the supporting characters were interesting and more than just your standard cookie-cutter background filler. I liked the range of relationship problems she tackled, anyone reading this book could relate to at least one of the couples and the rough spots they tried to work through. The writing was witty and ...more
Nicki
Jan 16, 2014 Nicki rated it it was ok
Got through it, but pretty lame. Didn't really enjoy the characters, though at least Judy gained a bit of backbone by the end. Story is of how Judy is jilted the day before her wedding to Barry. There's then a dragged out "will she, won't she" with Barry's best friend who is promiscuous. It's obvious from the title where this one is going, but it takes a long time to get there and it's anti climatic (no pun intended) when it does. Judy is dull for most of this, Barry's not much better, and Lenny ...more
Bev Taylor
Dec 20, 2015 Bev Taylor rated it really liked it
what happened to happy ever after?

judy is getting married on saturday - to her schoolhood sweetheart whom she has been living with. h/e there r so many plans ......

then everything changes in a heartbeat when barry just ups and leaves the day before the wedding

why? her family, 2 close friends and numerous other people try and help her and so unfolds a lovely, sometimes funny, sometimes sad, tale

judy might just be in the mood for a little romance - with no strings attached of course

cannot cou
Christine
Jun 19, 2012 Christine rated it it was ok
Judy is preparing to get married to Barry whom she has lived with for a number of years. But after Lenny arrives from Australia to be Barry's best man - Barry walks out (the day before the wedding). The book looks at the repercussions of this decision and Judy's realisation that she needs more from life. (also shows Bev and Vinnie's developing relationship (mistress becomes a 'wife'), and Angie and Biffo work through income differences)
Melinda Elizabeth
Jun 21, 2014 Melinda Elizabeth rated it it was ok
There must be a reason why it took me close to two months to finish this book, and it can't be because it was so good I wanted to extend the joy.
There's not much to say about this, the characters were dull, or worse, irritating, and there's so many that just drop off halfway through the book and you never hear about them again!
It feels like many of the chapters in this book are rehashed over and over, and the conclusion isn't at all worth all the effort I invested in reading this.
Teena in Toronto
Jul 04, 2012 Teena in Toronto rated it liked it
I liked the writing style ... funny and a tad sarcastic.

Yes, it's predictable ... there are lots of subplots and everyone ends up living happily every after.

If you are looking for something light with a happy ending, I'd recommend it.

Though it's set in Ireland, I had John Hannah's accent in my head when they spoke. I know he's Scottish but I just saw Sliding Doors a couple nights ago.
Aileen
Sep 02, 2015 Aileen rated it it was ok
The characters are not very likeable. I think we're supposed to sympathise with Judy, but I just found her hugely irritating. None of the characters are very well developed - we don't really get much insight to any of the relationships. If you're looking for some'fluff' that requires no thought, it's not a bad choice but you'll be thoroughly bored by the end.
Jeanne
Jul 17, 2010 Jeanne rated it liked it
I needed a time out from the traumatic book I'm reading. This fit the bill; silly, light chick-lit and you just know that in the end they're all going to live happily ever after. Provided a few hours' escape from the real world.
Ruth
Jun 21, 2010 Ruth rated it it was ok
The plot was slow moving making it extremely hard to get into. Some parts of the story were quite laboured and dull. The subplots although were pretty good as far as subplots go and were well linked the the main plot. This book was ok but I have read better versions
Jennifer Hazlett
I really liked this book! Great characters, unpredictable story, humourous and some romance - lots of fun.
Ellen
Dec 30, 2008 Ellen rated it really liked it
This was the 1st book I read of Clare's.
I thoroughly enjoyed it.
She told a good story and it was funny in places.
The only disadvantage was it had a predictable ending.
Tanya Ansin
Jan 19, 2009 Tanya Ansin rated it liked it
I just love imperfect romance stories. Describes today's insecurities with relationships and the difficulties that come with marriage and exciting new flings.
Jenn
Dec 01, 2008 Jenn rated it really liked it
I didn't like Barry or even Judy very much. But I did like how the tale was spun. Even if some of it was rather predictable.
Tracey Young
Tracey Young rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2012
Valerie
Valerie rated it it was ok
Aug 08, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2011
Megan Smith
Megan Smith rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2013
Melanie
Melanie rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Heather Mooney
Heather Mooney rated it liked it
May 25, 2014
Vanda
Vanda rated it it was ok
Aug 16, 2008
Sandra
Sandra rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2009
Laila Rahman
Sep 12, 2011 Laila Rahman rated it really liked it
typical, but still interesting
Lisa
Brilliant, warm and funny story, really enjoyed it :)
Renee
Renee rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2012
Ruth1304
Ruth1304 rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2009
Danielle Langlois
Danielle Langlois rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Matchbreaker
  • Lucy Talk
  • Something Borrowed
  • Funny Valentine
  • Marsha Mellow and Me
  • Naked Truths
  • New York Valentine (Annie Valentine, #5)
  • An Eligible Bachelor
  • The Continuity Girl
  • Pedigree Mum
  • Not What You Think
  • The Secret Shopper Unwrapped
Clare Dowling is a screenwriter and bestselling author. She's had many jobs, including as an actress, a waitress and a legal secretary before turning to writing full-time. She's had eleven novels published, and she also writes scripts for television. She lives in Dublin with her family.
More about Clare Dowling...