Little Blue Truck

Little Blue Truck

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  3,163 ratings  ·  283 reviews
Beep! Beep! Beep! Meet Blue. A muddy country road is no match for this little pick up--that is, until he gets stuck while pushing a dump truck out of the muck. Luckily, Blue has made a pack of farm animal friends along his route. And they're willing to whatever it takes to get their pal back on the road.
Filled with truck sounds and animals noises, here is a rollicking homa...more
Published May 1st 2008 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Little Blue Truck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Blue Truck

Crystal Allen
Feb 08, 2008 Crystal Allen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes kids books
I LOVE this book. It has such wonderful rhythm and rhyme making it the perfect book to read aloud.

"Horn went 'Beep!'
Engine purred.
Friendliest sounds
you ever heard."

Little Blue Truck is friends with all of the barnyard animals, he is always nice to everyone. Meanwhile big, mean Dumptruck has no time for anyone smaller than him and thinks he's the biggest, most important thing around. Then Dumptruck gets stuck in the mud and since he's been so mean no one wants to help him out...

"His heavy-du...more
Austin Hammond
I read the book "Little Blue Truck" by Alice Schertle. This book is about a friendly blue pickup truck. The blue truck drives around the countryside and is very nice to all the farm animals he sees. He always says, "beep beep." The blue truck also sees a dump truck that is very rude. At the end of the story the dump truck ends up getting stuck in the mud and is in need of help. The farm animals refuse to help him, but the blue pickup truck decides to be kind and help him. It turns out that the b...more
Emily Togstad
Emily Togstad
Goodreads

“Little Blue Truck”

I read a book called Little Blue Truck written by Alice Schertle. The story is about a small blue truck that drives around the country side. The truck beeps its horn at every farm animal that it sees such as a sheep, a cow, a pig, and a horse. The truck meets a rude dump truck on the way. The dump truck gets stuck in the mud. The little truck is nice so it tries to help, but it also gets stuck. The farm animals that the blue truck met earlier help the lit...more
Kathryn
What a treat! I love the blend of farm animals, vehicles, and rhymes--all popular with little ones; when combined in such a winsome and skilled fashion, with Schertle's fine text and McElmurry's adorable, expressive illustrations, they make one great story about friendship, compassion, humility and staying true to yourself. This would make a superb read-aloud!
Amy Musser
The Little Blue Truck drives along sleepy country roads. As he drives he makes friends with the animals along the road. His horn beeps at each one and they croak, cow, oink, or baaa back. Suddenly, a huge yellow dump truck zooms rudely past the Little Blue Truck. Unfortunately, rain has turned the road to mud and the dump truck is soon spinning his wheels in the muck. Little Blue Truck to the rescue!

The illustrations use a palette of browns, yellows, and greens to depict the countryside, which m...more
Heidi
Cute. The text moves along well. The pictures are fun to look at. And there is an underlying message of being nice (which always comes back to you in the end). I think when I try this I'll "assign" the kids the various animals and have them say the animal sound when it comes up. We'll see how that works.

1/23/13 Went well. Good opener for Trucks theme. The kids didn't quite grasp the message about being nice. But they liked the animals helping the truck. And they loved flexing along with the frog...more
Joelle
This is my number one favorite book to read to my son who is currently 3.5 years old. I purchased this book when he was 11 months old. It is so much fun to read. It feels lyrical the way it rhymes and flows when reading it. It was too long of a story for my son's attention span at first so I would read it to my husband and sisters at random times just because I enjoyed reading the book aloud. I think my son was about 2 years old when he really started to enjoy this book and it is still our numbe...more
Felix and Mama
Love the rhymes, but honestly can't wait until he's old enough to say all of the animal sounds for me.
Melanie
Everyone says hi to the Little Blue Truck. Little Blue Truck is friend to all of the barnyard animals.

One day Little Blue Truck comes across big Dump Truck. Dump is much too important to stick around and say hello. He's in such a hurry he gets his big ol' self stuck in the mud. Guess who comes to his rescue? Yep! Little Blue Truck! As Blue tries to push Dump out of the mud he himself gets stuck. So he calls for help from all of his friends and they all come to help.

In the end both trucks are fre...more
Megan Alexander
Title: The Little Blue Truck
Author: Alice Schertle
Illustrator: Jill McElmurry
Date of Publication: 2009
Genre: Fiction
Summary: The Little Blue Truck is about a truck that is nice to all the farm animals saying hello (Beep, Beep) to everyone he passes. The other truck on the road is a big rude dump truck that has no time for saying hello or being nice to others. However, one day the dump truck gets stuck in the mud. Who else but the little blue truck to come along and help! The little blue truck ge...more
Ricki
My husband read this book to my son and me. After he finished, my husband turned to me and said, "I really liked that one!" He is sitting next to me and wants me to write that it has good rhymes and great pacing. He liked doing all of the animal sounds to our son and the lessons of teamwork and politeness. :)
Robert Moushon
Schertle, A., & McElmurry, J. (2008). Little blue truck. Orlando : Harcourt.

Characters: The Little Blue Truck, Nlue. His friends: Toad, Sheep, Cow, Piggy and more. The Dump Truck, Dump.

Setting: Countryside highways.

Themes: Rhyming, Animals, Recognition, Friendship, Bullying

Genre: CSULB Class 2 Beginner's Books, CSULB Class 2 Concept Book

Summary: Blue (a little blue truck) is driving through the countryside but is nearly blindsided by Dump (a fast moving dump truck). Dump gets stuck in the m...more
Kendrick Goodman
Little Blue Truck not only falls into the category of being a concept book, but it also teaches children about friendship. I would recommend this book for toddlers, because it makes the noises of all farm animals. This teaches the children about animal noises. This is a book that can be read over and over again, and each time the animal noises will become more prominent in the child's brain. Not only are the animals mentioned, but it also features a blue truck. Most children of this age have a f...more
Jonasanddelice
This book is perfect in my eyes. Written with perfect cadence and rhyme so that one can even make a song out of it, classy unique illustration, and a clear moral lesson? Yes, please! <3
Annemarie
We love this book! We read it at least 5-6 times a day and it has become one of my daughter's favorite books.
Lynne
This is a very sweet and engaging board book. The story is about two trucks - Little Blue Truck who is nice to everyone and makes lots of friends, and the Dump who is big and important with things to do and no time to waste on chit chat. When Dump gets stuck in the mud. He yells for help but everyone ignores him until Little Blue hears him and comes to his aid. Then Little Blue gets stuck. The minute he yells for help, all the animals come to his aid. The lesson is obvious and stated, but the st...more
Jessica
Love it! A perfect marriage of superb rhyme and adorable illustrations!
Heather T.
What a great book! The rhyme scheme is perfect for reading aloud--it has rhythm that is natural and easy to fall right into. The cute little blue truck says "beep beep beep," and as it passes through the countryside, all the farm animals say hello with a 'quack,' 'moo,' etc. Then, a big, pushy, impatient dump truck whooshes through, all irritable and self-important--only to get stuck in the mud. What happens next exemplifies the merits of friendship and helping each other. A very solid choice fo...more
Cherina
Summary: On day, Little Blue Truck is driving, along waving to his friends, when Dump Truck comes flying through. Dump isn't concerned with anyone else. He obviously doesn't have time to worry about duck and little truck along the way. Dump is driving too fast, however, and ends up getting stuck in the mud. Dump cries for help, but know wants to help the mean old truck. Little Blue comes along and decides to help Dump, even if he is mean to Blue. The only problem is that Blue gets stuck as well....more
Ina
Little Blue truck loves driving down the road greeting all of his farm friends. When an impatient dump truck gets stuck in the mud, it takes Little Blue and all of his farm friends to save the day. With lots of sound words a story time audience can participate in the story and giggle all the way through. Fun read-aloud.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I remember picking this off the shelf at Chapters rather randomly one day, and deciding to get it mostly because of all the animal noises - I figured that would make it more fun for me to read, as well as for the babies.

This is an actual story, told in four-verse rhymes, and the babies really do enjoy it - especially the animals, at this age anyway. It's the story of Little Blue Truck, who's friends with all the animals around, and is so nice that when the big bossy Dump Truck comes along and ge...more
Tasha Henry nelson
My daughter received this for her first birthday. very cute and easy to read...though after a month we had to hide it from her because the rest of the family had read the book so many times that we all had it memorized-she loves it that much. It is the book that add son as she sees it she wants it read NOW!
Zacchetti Family
Little Blue Truck is an adorable story about the benefits of being friendly and helpful. It has a variety of farm animal noises, lots of beeping (from the truck), and a really nice reading rhythm. Not a fan of the grammar in a few places ("Friendliest sound you ever heard" gets changed to "you've" when I read it to K) but that's a fairly minor quibble.
Sandra Strange
This story is a board book, which is designed to appeal to 2-4 year olds.
The story is charming, the illustrations colorful and attractive. The story isn't just an identify-the-animals book, but teaches the lesson that if you're nice to others, they will be more likely to help you when you need help.
Lora Carroll
A nice story of a little blue with a helpful attitude and the friends that come to his rescue in a time of need. The language is rhythmic and keeps things moving along. Gorgeous, bright illustrations.

Publisher's overview:

Diana
This is mine and Luke's favorite book. I have it memorized but that's not a bad thing. It teaches a nice lesson, it has more than 5 words on a page, and it rhymes. The first time we read it I was almost on the edge of my seat to see what happens. I know, it's a board book but it's a good one.
Emily
I love this board book. A big dump truck gets stuck in a mud puddle, then along comes a blue truck that does the same. With the help of the farm animals, the dump and the truck are pushed out. Then who wants a ride? "Oink, quack, bah, moo,…" Everyone gets in!
Marya
Finally, vehicles have been elevated to the same plane as living farm animals, as this author includes the "beep beep" along with all the usual "oinks", "quacks", and "clucks". I'm pretty sure that's exactly how the little ones see it too.
Vonnie
I think this book teaches a valuable lesson to youngsters about slowing down in this fast paced world and to take the time to smile and greet others as well as offer help to those in need. You never know what tomorrow may bring... so enjoy life!
Fahima 'leah'
Good for children 1-6years of age. 1 year olds will love the sounds of the animals and the 4+ will understand the moral of the story. Plus the rhymes will help early readers. It was my son's favorite at 2 and now my daughter's at 1.5 years.
  • Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site
  • My Truck is Stuck!
  • Roadwork
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • Red Truck
  • Otis
  • Potty
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • Where Do Diggers Sleep at Night?
  • Trashy Town
  • Machines at Work
  • I Love You Through and Through
  • First 100 Words
191218
Alice Schertle has written more than 40 books, mostly for children. A mother and former elementary school teacher, Ms. Schertle is a graduate of the University of Southern California. Many of her most famous works are poetic in nature, though she writes about a wide variety of topics.
More about Alice Schertle...
Little Blue Truck Leads the Way Very Hairy Bear All You Need for a Snowman Button Up!: Wrinkled Rhymes All You Need for a Beach