Start by marking “The Invisible String” as Want to Read:
The Invisible String

The Invisible String

4.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  408 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
In this heartwarming story, Karst ("God Made Easy") delivers a very simple approach to overcoming the fear of loneliness or separation from parents, written with an imaginative flair that children can easily identify with and remember.
Specifically written to address children's fear of being apart from the ones they love, The Invisible String delivers a particularly compel
Published September 1st 2000 by DeVorss & Company

To ask other readers questions about The Invisible String, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Invisible String

Randie D. Camp, M.S.
The Invisible String is a comforting story about two siblings who learn that everyone has an invisible string that connects them to everyone they love, anywhere, anytime. You are never alone. The people who love you here and those who have passed away are never far because if you tug on this invisible string they can feel it in their hearts.

This is a remarkable message for children who feel lonely, scared, anxious, worried, etc. and this reassuring feeling could help a child cope with a variety
The Styling Librarian
The Invisible String by Patrice Karst, illustrated by Geoff Stevenson – Published in 2000, part of my social skills/feelings book purchases. This is a delicate, beautiful story about how twins realize there is an invisible string connecting all people who love one another… you can feel it in your heart and always be connected, even from afar. Beautiful. Delicate. Perfect for: dealing with loss, moving, friendship issues, family problems, nighttime fears… Quite the special book.
The Invisible Str
Abbi
Mar 20, 2013 Abbi rated it it was amazing
As I get ready to deploy again, I find that there are hardly any books that discuss MOMMY leaving. I found this to be a great substitute. We love it! My boys are 2 and 5. The younger one doesn't grasp the concept but the older one loves it!
Debbie
Nov 07, 2013 Debbie rated it it was amazing
One of the best books out there to explain separation/loss to young children. The Invisible String keeps us all connected with LOVE. This is a delightful book that works magic to comfort children dealing with divorce, death, hospitalization, adoption, incarceration, parents in the military, or simply going back to school.

"People who love each other are always connected by a very special String, made of love. Even though you can't see it with your eyes, you can feel it deep in your heart, and k
Therese
Nov 07, 2011 Therese rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Loneliness and seperation anxiety is the cause of so much of a child's fears, this book tackles it. Good for divorce, good for school, summer camp, and even death of a loved one. You're never really alone; you have your invisible string. My four year old really cottoned to the idea; it's stuck with her and given her comfort.

But (and I feel terrible about this) the illustrations aren't so nice. They're frizzy and staticky, kinda hard to look at. But the book is so sweet you have to overlook it.
Mrs. Gabrielle Zastrow's
Sep 13, 2013 Mrs. Gabrielle Zastrow's rated it really liked it
There were twins and it was raining and thundering out. When they woke up, they went down to their mom who explained to them about the invisible string. The invisible string is a magic string you can't see, but everyone in the whole world has one. It can't be cut, never because it is too strong. The string goes to whoever you love and can reach anyone anytime, anywhere. The string is the love you feel for people.
TLBC
Jun 21, 2014 TLBC rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews, childrens
I recently read this book to my five year old daughter and cried. It was a sweet heartwarming story. I highly recommend it, especially if your child has recently lost a loved one or dealing with separation anxiety. It is such a wonderful message for kids.
Linda
Dec 29, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
Picture Book about how to pull on the invisible string to always know the person you love is always with you. Helpful when discussing the death of a parent or other loved one, loss of a pet...
Bobbi Jankovich
Feb 15, 2011 Bobbi Jankovich rated it it was amazing
This is a great book about being connected to everyone we love, whether they're far away, just off for the day, or have passed on. It's a children's book, but really wonderful for adults as well.
Amber Pound
Cute book to show children that being away from family is normal and ok when needed. Would be use for the first week in a Kindergarten class.
Angie
Nov 12, 2013 Angie rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story to let your kids know that you are ALWAYS connected to them, no matter where either of you are.
Amy
Jul 23, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
Cute book about the power of love and connectedness no matter where the other person is.
Rose
Feb 08, 2016 Rose rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Two children 3 and 5 sat through it and listened as I told them about the endless possibilities of this invisible string. An invisible string that connects them to everyone they love. A string that represents you are never alone and you are always cared for. You, your family and friends all are connected by strings. Strings of love and caring. Strings that will always be there even if you can't see the string or the person. Sweet story to encourage independence among children ...more
Jeff Botch
Dec 06, 2013 Jeff Botch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
The Invisible String by Patrice Karst is an incredibly touching and beautiful story with multiple layers and lessons.

The story begins with twin siblings, Liza and Jeremy, being awakened by a rain and thunder storm. The kids run to their mothers side where she tells them a story that was told to her by her mother when she was their age.

The story revolves around an invisible string that connects the kids to their mother and the idea that they will never be alone as long as they are aware of the sp
Arin Williams
Jan 10, 2014 Arin Williams rated it it was amazing
When twin siblings Liza and Jeremy are frightened by a late-night storm, they run to their mom for comfort. After hearing that they feel like they are alone, their mother tells them about the invisible string that connects them to everyone they care about. The twins ask about how far the string can go, if it could reach to the bottom of the ocean or to the heights of heaven; their mother reassures them that the string can reach no matter how far apart they are. This is an excellent story for wor ...more
Susan
Jul 11, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing
Purchased for a 4-year old whose dad died. It does not deal with death directly since 4 year olds can't fathom that, but with how we are all connected to the people we love and the connection never goes away, so it indirectly deals with a tragic loss, showing the child that when the connection is strong there is still an attachment.
Alice
Feb 13, 2015 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-75-stars
3.75 Stars This is a warm and squishy book about love. It isn't sappy (because as you know...I don't do sappy) It is about love and how we are all connected to love ones by an invisible string, no matter how far away, weather they on are on earth or heaven...we are connected by an invisible string! Nice pictures, nice message!
Sophie
Jan 02, 2016 Sophie added it
Shandy from SickKids hospital let me borrow this book. Dad and I read it that same night and I learned some important things. Later I reported to Dad that "we're connected by an invisible string." Sometimes we would feel the pull of the heart strings from Chloe at the hospital.
Sam
Nov 17, 2015 Sam rated it really liked it
A very sweet book. The concept was embraced by our 6-year-old son as well as his precocious 9-year-old sister. A very nice idea for children to remember when they are afraid and away from the people they love and take comfort in.
Iroquois
I read a short story by the author in a book about first hand mystical experiences, and hers was about getting her books published and mentioned the title of this one. The title caught my attention.
Hazel
Sep 01, 2014 Hazel rated it it was amazing
This seemed like a good choice for the night before kindergarten starts :) A nice reminder that we are still connected to those we love even if we aren't physically together
Jennifer Hanna
Oct 06, 2014 Jennifer Hanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely story

it is a heartfelt lovely story that has helped me and my family. it's a reminder that no matter what happens we are always together
Peninnah
Jun 07, 2015 Peninnah rated it it was amazing
Giving this to a friend going through a hard time. It will be perfect. Those we love are always connected to us via am invisible string.
Sep 27, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This was a great book which helped my 7 year old daughter deal with her best friend moving overseas. I'd highly recommend it.
Suzanne Boyd
Jun 26, 2015 Suzanne Boyd rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This is a wonderful book about the ability of love to hold on through anything. A must read to your child book!
Amy
Feb 06, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing
A comforting book about the love that connects us all. Very good for a child who is mourning the loss of a loved one.
Katie
Apr 29, 2014 Katie rated it it was amazing
This could quite possibly be one of my favorite children's books!
Janae
Feb 15, 2015 Janae rated it liked it
Cute book, but not for 4/5th graders. :)
Dec 12, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
b/g twins. Love connects us all.
Betty Vaughan
Jan 02, 2015 Betty Vaughan rated it it was amazing
My grandchildren loved it..
  • A Terrible Thing Happened
  • Wherever You Are My Love Will Find You
  • Ordinary Mary's Extraordinary Deed
  • The Baby Tree
  • We Belong Together: A Book About Adoption and Families
  • If I Could Keep You Little...
  • Small Bunny's Blue Blanket
  • Clark the Shark
  • Shackleton's Journey
Patrice Karst is best known as the author of her best-selling children’s classic, THE INVISIBLE STRING. Her other books include THE SMILE THAT WENT AROUND THE WORLD, GOD MADE EASY and THE SINGLE MOTHER’S SURVIVAL GUIDE. A well loved public speaker, Patrice has been featured in and on hundreds of television and radio shows, newspapers and magazine across the country, including MSNBC, CBS, C-SPAN, A ...more
More about Patrice Karst...