Start by marking “Hume in 90 Minutes (Philosophers in 90 Minutes)” as Want to Read:
Hume in 90 Minutes (Philosophers in 90 Minutes)

Hume in 90 Minutes (Philosophers in 90 Minutes)

David Hume (1711-1776), writes Paul Strathern, is "the only philosopher whose ideas remain plausible to us today." Hume's most substantial contribution to philosophy could be simplified as the denial of the existence of anything but our own perceptions--or it could be more subtly described as a realization of the contingency of our knowledge of the world, where any explana ...more
Published 1996 by Constable

To ask other readers questions about Hume in 90 Minutes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hume in 90 Minutes

Foad
من همیشه هیوم رو فردی فربه و خوش مشرب تصور می کردم - که در واقع هم این طور بوده - اما تازه فهمیدم این خوش مشربی، پرده ای بوده بر مشکلات روحی و عصبی پنهانش که همیشه آزارش میدادن و با تمام کوشش سعی می کرده مخفی شون کنه. یک بار که دچار تب و هذیان شده بود، همه ی چیزهایی که سعی می کرد سرکوب شون کنه فوران کردن: با وحشت از خدا و دوزخ و عذاب ابدی حرف می زد، و سعی کرد خودش رو توی چاه بیندازه و بکشه.
Joseph
From Audible Channels.

Philosophy's first openly atheist philosopher. He argued against cause and effect, miracles, and the soul. He proposed the "Bundle Theory" and went down in history as a historian. His History of England: From the Invasion of Julius Caesar to the Revolution in 1688 became a best seller and remained in print for over a century.

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office than to serve and obey them. ~ Hume
Anthony Vacca
Another brisk, cursory look into the life and works of an esteemed philosophical mind. Strathern's 90-minute take on Hume is a respectful primer for the man who made atheism fashionable for intellectuals and also helped tear apart his contemporary's conceptions of philosophy, ushering in what we consider the modern era of ontological thought. These audiobooks have been fun and made for a nice refresher for the hardly operable understanding of philosophy I had left over from a couple of college c ...more
Sharabenab
معرفی مختصر و مفید از زنگانی هیوم. کتاب مقدمه ی خوبی دارد که جریان فکری فلسفه را تا به هیوم مورد بررسی قرار می دهد و بعد از آن زندگانی یوم را به تصویر می کشد. ایراد کتاب این است که به هیچ وجه وارد فضای فکری هیوم نمی شود و صحبتی از اندیشه ها و آراء این فیلسوف به میان نمی آورد.
Junior Ales
Apr 04, 2016 Junior Ales rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Com o propósito de ser uma leitura rápida, Hume em 90 minutos consegue por em poucas palavras a história do primeiro ateu que se admite ateu.

Strathern escreve sobre vida, obra e morte do filósofo escocês, passando por histórias dos encontros e das relações de Hume com contemporâneos ilustres de sua época como Rousseau e Newton.

Ao final, o autor traz uma coleção de citações famosas retiradas das obras de Hume que ilustram tudo que o livro propôs até então e nos instiga a buscar mais sobre esse gr
Arash Kamangir
حظ خوبی داره این مجموعه.
Realini
Jul 28, 2014 Realini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hume in 90 minutes by Paul Strathern
Fabulous book

The philosophy of David Hume is one of a handful that still stands up today! Sophisticated later systems, a bit mocked by the author, have come crumbling, but Hume’s thinking is viable in the present.
It is very interesting how much we can learn in 90 minutes. We do not reach the essence, the depths of Hume’s mind, but there is a certain familiarity that I felt after reading this exquisite book.
David Hume was a very interesting scholar, who probabl
Justin Tapp
Since I have been exploring the world of classical liberal philosophy and needed an audio book for the road, I decided to try this book out. Paul Krugman recently listed Hume's An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding as one of his top five books, so I've been curious to read more Hume. Most of his works are available as free ebooks at Project Gutenberg and elsewhere.

There is a "Philosophers in 90 Minutes" series, and this is one part. Strathern gives a biographical overview of Hume and explain
Alper
Jun 30, 2013 Alper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Understanding Hume (or other philosophers) would hardly be like listening to a football match live on radio. This book (and other books of the Series) certainly is not about fully grasping Hume (or other philosophers), rather can be considered as a preliminary testing if Hume is the right philosopher for you and if you should start his, say, "Treatise of Human Nature". Your leaning against a philosopher depends on what life questions you ask, which of them you expect he will respond. The series ...more
M Pereira
This is a very good account of Hume. Certain things have been emphasised that are not usually addressed in typical Hume stories. There is the issue of his love life, or lack of; there is the personable nature of the man; Hume is addressed in his non-philosophical roles, such as a Librarian and Historian of English history. A fair amount of detail is put into Hume's views for an introductory book, but just as a thought (not a criticism), could more be said about Hume's relationship with other Sco ...more
Timothy McNeil
Strathern clearly has a selective reading of Hume's philosophical works (nothing on the Clever Knave, nothing on how the mundane life is anathema to philosophical pursuits is mentioned here). Worse, he seems to have a fundamentally flawed view of it, thinking that there is something more than a general reduction to general uncertainty (on principle, not practicality, logic, reason, or experience).

The books also gives a very incomplete account (for the ...in 90 Minutes series) of the subject's li
Mike Jensen
Dec 02, 2014 Mike Jensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A couple of years ago, I became curious about the lives of all those philosophers I read in my twenties for, you learn little about them men from their books, Lord Russell being a partial exception. I chose against reading 500 page tomes about them, I was not THAT curious, so with delight I recently found this little series of books about philosophers and other cultural figures. The four star rating MUST be understood in the context of somebody wanting a little book with a desire for a little in ...more
Sepehr Lajevardi
دیرگاهی فلسفه برده ی حلقه به گوش الهیات بود تا که در قرن هفده دکارت بنای سست آسال پیش فرض هایی که ایشان بر آن جاهلانه تکیه میزدند را فرو پاشید:
"همه چیز قابل انکار است، جز یک چیز"
پس از دوران دکارت که بنیان گذار فلسفه ی مدرن نامیده می شود، مقبولیت عام دنیای فلسفه از عقل گرایی به تجربه گرایی رو برگرداند. اسقفی زیرک آن را به استدلالی رد کرد و هیوم سه دهه بعد پای به منازعه نهاد

-خلاصه ای از مقدمه ی کتاب
Xolrax
Aug 26, 2014 Xolrax rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesante lectura. Concisa, permitiendo un pequeño acercamiento
a las ideas de Hume. Se destaca el humor irónico del autor británico
que hace más amena aún la lectura. Lo mejor, los antecedentes biográficos
enlazados con algo de historia del siglo XVIII. Estimo que en la presentación de la filosofía de Hume, faltó claridad.
William Watkins
Apr 24, 2014 William Watkins rated it it was ok
I liked the simplicity of the book and the idea, however I learnt more about Hume rather than his ideas. I also felt Strathern was slightly biased and seemed to give his opinion when I really couldn't care less about it. I would prefer a more informative book rather than a gossip about philosophers.
John
Jul 11, 2014 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last 10 or so pages of this book are Humean quotes and the preceding pages are heavier on biography or modern consequences of Hume's empiricism. Though Strathern is funnier in this volume than the others I've read, he basically leaves the nitty-gritty in Hume's own words at the end.
Sam Jones
This is the weakest of Strathern's in 90 Minutes series, at least of those I've read. He shows his personal biases the most glaringly here.

I am reading these books to learn about the philosophers and their theories, not to be told by Strathern who is right and who is wrong.
John Mcjohnnyman
John Mcjohnnyman rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2009
Marcos
Marcos rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Parisa
Parisa rated it liked it
May 04, 2009
Joseph Annunzio
Joseph Annunzio rated it liked it
May 26, 2016
Bruce Herrera
Bruce Herrera rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Tod Odonnell
Tod Odonnell rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2016
James
James rated it it was ok
Nov 02, 2015
Marcus Lira
Marcus Lira rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2009
Logan
Logan rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2008
Nasim
Nasim rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2014
Levi
Levi rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2012
Nati
Nati rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Life of Charles Dickens
  • Ten Philosophical Mistakes
  • El Origen De La Vida/the Origins Of Life
  • The Wall (Pink Floyd)
  • مکتب‌های ادبی
  • The Occult Anatomy of Man
  • From Yao to Mao: 5000 Years of Chinese History (Great Courses, #8320)
  • Boswell's Presumptuous Task: The Making of the Life of Dr. Johnson
  • The Emerald Tablet of Hermes and the Kybalion: Two Classic Books on Hermetic Philosophy
  • Shakespeare: A Life
  • The Fourth Paradigm: Data-Intensive Scientific Discovery
  • The Works of Aleister Crowley (Collected Works of Aleister Crowley)
  • Sartre for Beginners
  • مجموعه آثارِ احمد شاملو - دفترِ سوّم
  • Philosophy of Existence
  • Sacred Geometry: Deciphering the Code
  • The Great Philosophers: An Introduction to Western Philosophy
  • A Most Dangerous Method: The Story of Jung, Freud & Sabina Spielrein
Paul Strathern (born 1940) is a British writer and academic. He was born in London, and studied at Trinity College, Dublin, after which he served in the Merchant Navy over a period of two years. He then lived on a Greek island. In 1966 he travelled overland to India and the Himalayas. His novel A Season in Abyssinia won a Somerset Maugham Award in 1972.

Besides five novels, he has also written nume
More about Paul Strathern...

Philosophers in 90 Minutes (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Aristotle in 90 Minutes
  • Berkeley in 90 Minutes
  • Bertrand Russell in 90 Minutes  (Philosophers in 90 Minutes)
  • Confucius in 90 Minutes