Start by marking “The Invisibles, Vol. 6: Kissing Mister Quimper” as Want to Read:
The Invisibles, Vol. 6: Kissing Mister Quimper

The Invisibles, Vol. 6: Kissing Mister Quimper (The Invisibles #6)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  2,897 ratings  ·  43 reviews
In the sixth volume of the INVISIBLES collection, the group of freedom fighters must deal with the aftermath of their battle with the Hand of Glory. But as the Invisibles look to rest and regroup, they soon discover that this fight had far greater effects than their physical casualties. With King Mob growing even more violent and their leader Ragged Robin continuing to hid ...more
Published February 1st 2000 by DC Comics Vertigo (first published February 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Invisibles, Vol. 6, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Invisibles, Vol. 6

Brave New World by Aldous HuxleySlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutPrincipia Discordia, Or, How I Found Goddess and What I Did t... by Gregory  HillThe Manson File by Nikolas SchreckCatch-22 by Joseph Heller
Bibles for the Revolution
82nd out of 230 books — 86 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreMaus, I by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreCalvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonMaus, II by Art Spiegelman
Best Graphic Novels and Comic Books
184th out of 418 books — 282 voters

More lists with this book...

Sam Quixote
I read this book just yesterday but held off from writing a review immediately to see if I could recall enough of it today to see what had stuck. Can you guess how much I retained? I promise I was paying attention the whole time, like I do with every book I read, but, wow, is The Invisibles just a load of nonsense!

In this book, The Invisibles fight the evil psychic dwarf Quimper, while Mason, the guy who’s been bankrolling them since the start, turns out to be evil or something. In between that
StoryTellerShannon
In the sixth installment the Invisibles penetrate another facility to acquire “The Magic Mirror' and I can't go into more detail or I'll give it away.. Boy and Jack Frost get more serious. Ragged Robin deals with Mister Quimper and then has to make a choice with time travel. It was a bit down from the previous volume but still a worthy read.

Note that while it isn't required it helps to have some knowledge of the following for this particular volume: astral projection, time travel, H.P. Lovecraf
Sesana
It took me this long, but I think I'm finally getting the hang of The Invisibles. The key thing that I think I was missing before is that I don't have to get it all. There are people who will understand everything that Morrison is alluding to, and my hat's off to those people. I can get enough to follow along with the action on the page, and that's enough to enjoy what I'm reading. This volume in particular has a very action movie feel to it, which probably helped me just go with the flow instea ...more
Lloyd
This book is the sixth graphic novel in the series and the final book of Volume Two of the series.

This sixth book and Volume Two as a whole had a whole lot more of the blockbuster action feel to it. There was a lot more extreme violence, a lot more explicit sex, and even rampant mention of several films specifically. All this was accentuated by the frequent mention of life as a film, fiction as reality, and life as a game, which did put an intelligent spin on those themes as only Morrison could
Fox
I feel the need to mention again how much I thoroughly adore this series.

This series actually reminds me a bit of LOST, in that the longer it goes on the more coherent it gets if you care to pay that much attention to it. I feel the need to connect with others who have read this title, and see their thoughts on it, their insight. I feel the distinct need to hunt down the annotated version that keeps getting tossed around the internet, but am loathe to do so until I finish reading it through sans
Aaron
There's something disturbing about reading Morrison sometimes, and this final collection of the second volume of the Invisibles really sticks a knife in your brain. The storyline, which has consistently followed an unstable, borderline insane, amps up to its highest intensity. Half the time it feels like you're reading drugs, as if Morrison emptied a syringe directly into the veins of this book, and by merely looking at it you're absorbing the hallucinogen with your eyes. It is kind of amazing h ...more
Jack Gattanella
"Robin read a story called 'The Invisibles' and wrote herself a part in it until she realized it was all real. That's how magic happens. She was better at it than she knew."

And just when you think The Invisibles can't get any trippier, we get the Fourth Dimension. And time travel. Or is it time travel? Yeah, I guess it is. And then the Invisibles is pitched as a movie in the comic. Or is it all in Robin's head. And Quimper, man, what a head-case he/it is! This is where the stakes get even more
Amy
RØB
With this one fresh in my mind (just finished it last night), maybe the review will be a little more illuminated than past reviews of INVISIBLES trade paperbacks have been...then again, given the purposefully-labyrinthine plots of INVISIBLES comics, maybe this won't mean anything, or my construances are erroneous from the get-go, or whatever. This particular volume of INVISIBLES seemed somehow less interesting than others...there wasn't any immediately-discernible (or otherwise?) climax, nothing ...more
Christian
This is where things start to pop again, with cool ideas that actually serve the story and ideas that start it approach the hyper-paranoid density of Phillip K Dick or Robert Anton Wilson. If only the art was up to it. The superfluid/magic mirror looks more like the T-1000 than what it actually is, and I'd love to see what someone like Frank Quietley or Dave McKean could do with the ending.
There's also a bit at the end that's very Fight Club, proof that The Invisibles is the 90s in comic form.
Chris
Ian
Probably shouldn't have picked up the series in the middle like this, but I found it hard to get into. The extreme nonlinear narrative ends up being so much plot salad. Left with the vague impression that the whole thing might've been interesting...
Patrick Hudson
By this stage, I'm beginning to see how it's done. I'm still enjoying, but I think the sense of anything goes is giving way to more-of-the-same. That's no bad thing as 'the same' in this case is brilliant, but I kncoked a star off this volume because it's becoming... not predictable, as such - The Invisibles is never predictable! - but familiar.

This is not to do this vlume down - the magnificent Mr Quimper gets his come uppance here, and there are a few cool stories dealing with time travel and
Anthony Faber
Book 6 of 7. Hallucinatory occult conspiracy thriller with lots of violence, nudity (though almost always from a vantage that conceals genitals. Plenty of breasts, though.) and sex. The fact that the cars had European style license plates in U.S. cities was a bit jarring, but otherwise, it was entertaining if you like this sort of stuff.
Travis
stories twisted as a cork screw, while at the same time full of summer movie action, as stresses within the team start to take their toll on King Mob's team and the villainous Mr. Quimper moves into the finale phase of his evil scheme.

Stories that switch from 'Wow!' to 'what the hell is going?" so fast you'll get wind burn. Wildly entertaining while also being so twisty-turny and surreal that even after multiple readings you'll feel like there's more you haven't figured out yet.

Robert

That one was awesome, just full of mind fuck, horror, action and poetry from start to finish. There's some early stuff in there dealing with America's fascination with zombies and death that really resonates with some of the meat in "Waiting for the Barbarians."

This one has been the best volume in the series thus far. I look forward to hitting the next one as soon as I can hunt up a copy.
MIke
I'll write this review for all volumes.

"The Invisibles" is 1960's psychedelia wrapped in modern clothing and wrung through every magickal wringer Grant Morrison could reach. Aliens that may or may not be, conspiracies that loop around themselves and the New Buddha in the body of a foul-mouthed Liverpudian boy named Dane. It's a tale of Us vs. Them that eats itself like orobouros.
Jarrodtrainque
This fourth volume of The Invisibles series finds the Invisibles traveling through time distortions, breaking into secret government installations, and delving into their own twisted pasts. Only then will they learn the truth about the mind-controlling dwarf called Quimper and come one step closer to the ultimate secrets of the millennium. Suggested for mature readers.
Michelle
I'm starting to think that the non-linearity of this series makes it worth a reread. Again, here's another volume where the pieces begin to fall into place. The confrontation with Quimper and greater exploration of Robin's past-future are hugely entertaining puzzle bits, but some of the big picture still eludes me. What will come in the next and last volume?
Simon
The first of the Invisibles books I read was Bloody Hell in America, which I loved to bits. And then I got two more, and, haven't loved them as much. They're all packed with interesting ideas, but, the actual story part could do with a little more.. clarity.

But perhaps I'm suffering from not having been able to read it from issue 1, and dipping in at random places.
Ahimaaz R
Is this the best volume or is this the best volume. This is where she, Ragged Robin, goes back to 2012 - where she came from.

They, The Invisibles, may not make much sense (at least not in its entirety - after all it's po-mod and meta-fic) but they play like his, Morrison's, Greatest Hits volumed up to eleven, no less.
Claire
Same story really; I dip into The Invisible Kingdom literally every week but really only read this one as part of the whole series. It's not that it can't stand alone, it's just how I take each volume differently. Anyway, this is a stunning end to volume 2 and sets everything up beautifully for the bug finish.
tim
Reading The Invisibles is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, though I don't exactly know why because they are incredibly good. And even though some of the covers are embarrassing to be seen with in public, that won't keep me from feeling sad when I gleefully devour the last volume of this most amazing series.
Steve
It went a little batshit by the end, but overall the second volume of The Invisibles as a whole was my favorite, as it was the most coherent. It was weird and full of insane ideas, but they were in a story that still made a modicum of sense with actual characters as well. Too bad it fell apart after this...
Federiken Masters
Nov 01, 2010 Federiken Masters marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Veremos...
Recommended to Federiken by: Autor y Caro :D
Otro tomo del que tengo la gran mayoría de capítulos en revistas USA sueltas: del 16 al 22, así que sólo me faltarían 14 y 15 para ownear el dichoso librito. Marco provisoriamente la edición española para disminuir el riesgo de que la borren de un plumazo.
¡Gracias, Caro! :D
Craig
The sixth volume of The Invisibles was my favourite yet. The love story between King Mob and Ragged Robin is one of the weirdest but beautiful relationships I've ever seen and the time machine concept was brilliant. Twelve issues to go: bring on the end of the world.
Tobias
The plot in this volume verged on the incoherent. Another raid on a top-secret military installation, a bit more exploration of the characters' backstories, and more hints of the Gnosticism at the heart of the series. (I suppose the blind chess player is the demiurge?)
Helena
This is the #6 volume of this mind-blowing comic series which dates back to the late 80's. Once claimed that the movie "The Matrix" ripped elements of this series, #funfact# This is a challenging series to read but worth it.
Ayden
It all comes together. So good. So beautiful. I feel Robin more than like any character I've ever felt before in any media and I love Fanny and KM and Jack and Boy and all of them. Excited for the next bit. God, this is so good.
  • Promethea, Vol. 5
  • Anarchy for the Masses: The Disinformation Guide to The Invisibles
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 0: Tales of Human Waste  (Transmetropolitan, #0)
  • Hellblazer: Damnation's Flame
  • Shade, the Changing Man, Vol. 1: The American Scream
Scottish comic book author Grant Morrison is known for culture-jamming and the constant reinvention of his work. He is known for his nonlinear narratives and countercultural leanings in his runs on titles including DC Comics' Animal Man, Batman, JLA, The Invisibles, Action Comics, All-Star Superman, and Doom Patrol, and Marvel Comics' New X-Men and Fantastic Four. Many of these are controversial, ...more
More about Grant Morrison...
Batman: Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on Serious Earth All-Star Superman, Vol. 1 We3 All-Star Superman, Vol. 2 Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn

“From now on, I'm opting for ontological terrorism.” 22 likes
“The perfect fascist state needs to operate in conditions of perpetual warfare. Have you ever noticed how the world has been in constant crisis since World War II?” 10 likes