Start by marking “Wolf Queen” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Wolf Queen

Tanith Lee

Wolf Queen (Claidi Journals #3)

3.75  ·  Rating Details ·  3,506 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Claidi is eager to reunite with her fiancé Argul—but when she finally reaches his camp, she finds that someone has been spreading ugly lies about her, and Argul is nowhere to be found. Undaunted, Claidi sets out to search for him. Her quest brings her to the icy threshold of a tower, and within it she encounters another shadow from her past—a powerful woman Claidi believes ...more
Hardcover
Published September 1st 2003 by Turtleback Books (first published January 18th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Wolf Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolf Queen

Dannii Elle
Queen of the Wolves is the third book in the Wolf Tower sequence, or as it is alternatively known as, Wolf Queen is the third book in the Claidi Journals series.

I feel it is only fair to state that it has been years since I read the first two installments and that my enjoyment of this was initially a little hampered because of that fact. The book does, however, begin with a helpful twenty point synopsis of the first two books, which helped to retrieve my memory, somewhat.

This is tagged on Goodr
Megan Kirby
Only after finishing this book did I realize Claidi is a quartet and not a trilogy. I thought I was done. I don't know where to go from here.

Like the previous book, Wolf Tower is insane. And I read it obsessively. Claidi is SO DUMB, GUYS. [SPOILERS] She doesn't realize her fiancé is a robot even though she KNOWS EVERYONE IS GETTING REPLACED BY ROBOTS. He literally shuts down mid-conversation with her and she runs out of the room crying because he won't respond. GIRL, HE POWERED DOWN. Also what a
Kaila
I am not particularly enjoying this series and so far this book is the most egregious. The narrator, Claidi, spends half the book explaining family trees and who is related to who. But...IS that person actually related? What if they're not? Is that actually my mom? Maybe my mom is this other person? What if I never meet my mom? Let me explain family trees some more.

It was both confusing and boring.

The magic is very handwavy and works by just thinking about it, which means it is ALL POWERFUL whic
Chelsie Unicornkind
Jul 06, 2008 Chelsie Unicornkind rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I had to push myself to finish book 1, and then the following books, simply to find out what happens. Worse, I think the ending of the first book was better than the ending of the series. So unless you absolutely adore it, don't go beyond the first book.

This series is a very odd, confusing read. While the storyline is very good, and also very creative, the different cultures and towns she comes to are so bizarre that you are left wondering where in the world the author came up with it all. I su
Anne Osterlund
Claidi is back! She flies in on the Wolf Star, all prepared to find Argul and marry him. But . . . turns out, Argul has no idea she was kidnapped. He thinks she ran off on purpose with that nitwit, Nemian.

As if Claidi would be such a dopp. Again.

She’ll just have to track down Argul and explain. If she can avoid all the lying, scheming subjects of whatever Tower is hunting her now!

Wolf Queen is the third of four books in Tanith Lee’s fantasy series about the heroine. My favorite part of this epis
Deanna
Aug 16, 2008 Deanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Advanture, Mystery, and Romanic.
This book has got to be the best out of the first 3 in the series! it was an on your edge of the seat page turner! It made me very excited to read the 4th book (for the record it is still on hold for me at my locial library as of August 8).
It was interesting to find out about that claidi's real family was just a slave family. After all that time she lived a lie! A LIE! CAN YOU BELIEVE TAHT! And after all that she put her husband to be through he still wanted to marry her! now that is a great guy
Ava
May 11, 2015 Ava rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wolf Queen is the third book in The Claidi Journals, a quartet written as the fictional journals of Claidi as she goes out into the world, leaving the only home she'd ever known and encountering more than her fair share of bumps along the way. Lee has captured Claidi's voice wonderfully, making her an interesting and sympathetic narrator, and it is easy to fall into the amusingly quirky world being described.

This book follows Claidi as she struggles to reunite with her love, Argul, and figure ou
Erin
Jul 19, 2015 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't sleep and I wanted more so I powered through the book in 3 hours. Wonderful twists in this one, one's that made me smile. I think I liked this one better then the second one. Very curious to see how this series ends!
June
Oct 09, 2009 June rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I think I waited to long to write a review. I enjoyed it enough though to order Wolf Wing and read that right away. Claidi is still trying to find out who she is. There are enough twists and turns to keep the reader guessing.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Wolf Queen (Claidi Journals #3), Tanith Lee
Stephanie
May 01, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Claidi finally discovers her heritage and past in this third book in the "Claidi Journals" series.

After escaping the Rise using the help of the Wolf Star, Claidi returns to the realm to find that her fiance is gone! Following rumors and the barest of traces, she follows Argul deep into the north. There she meets the arrogant and spoiled Winter Raven, a young royal who knows who Claidi is and hates her for a past Claidi doesn't even know herself. Winter Raven's mother, the queen, has connections
Amanda
Jun 09, 2014 Amanda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
All I can say is I devoured the first 2 in this series, then I tore into this one and I am reading it desperately because I. HAVE. TO. KNOW.

And then...WHAT?! That's all I can say...WHAT JUST HAPPENED?!?

No, Tanith Lee. Just, no. Will I ever learn from your tricksy books and your non-endings? You build me up and then crush me every time. For shame, Tanith Lee. For shame.
Ceinwyn
Oct 23, 2010 Ceinwyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I enjoy most about Tanith Lee is that her books take me to new and unique places. Lee's worlds are a bit bizarre, true, but that's what I love about them, the sense of discovery and strangeness. I think in fantasy it's too easy to get caught up in the same medieval-esque wattle and daub landscpaes that blur together.

After too much Bella Swan I really like Claidi as well. She's not pretentious, but she has inner strength. Though she's chasing after the one she loves, there is a world outsid
Tena
May 31, 2016 Tena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOLF QUEEN still has the Alice in Wonderland-esque nature to it, BUT some things are coming together/coming to light that makes more of the story fall into place. I still love Claidi with her questions and Argul just being Argul, and have added new favorites like Venn and co.
Oct 20, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read most of Tanith Lees books years ago but, due to a nasty accident/ head trauma, I can't remember them so I get to read all those fantastic books again
Kaila
Jul 26, 2012 Kaila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wow the Wolf Queen was exciting i must say. I was swept off again and just wanting the main character to get answers and get everything straighten out. This book gave some answers that i was so happy to have answered but then of course gave some questions in return..sigh. I was like "whoa she is .. and that means that other girl is...oh my,..man this so unfair!" anyway i felt a good mix of emotions of for the main character. I also felt i wanted her to feel pretty and proud of herself. she would ...more
Lia
Aug 01, 2007 Lia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Third book, but I think I spotted a fourth waiting out there... Wolf Wing?

Future story hinted at, in the end of this one. I want to read it, if there is more. I really enjoyed this series, though the plot started feeling weak, in the end. (All this trouble, over a few bored princesses and their simple idea to breed rebellion?) If WHY is explained better in further books, then ok. But it presents itself more as a trilogy, at this point, like this is the end. =/

Couldn't put the series down! Had to
Tiffany
I liked this one a lot better than book two. Claidi goes back to being her regular, go and get-em self. (more review... whatever...)
Kaye
Jun 14, 2016 Kaye rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I am glad I already had the next book in this series. This one left me hanging. There were some surprises in this one that left me wondering where the author is going to go with these characters.
Cindy Peck Sheehy
Interesting story--recommended by my granddaughter. Part of a series--would like to read the others.
Naomi
This book is amazingly entrancing and left me wondering until the last page.
Story
Jul 23, 2014 Story rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Claidi journals are so odd, and Claidi is a frustratingly dense protagonist. Yet I find them oddly compelling, enough to continue reading. Lee's imagined landscapes are strangely evocative.
Lindsay
Jul 09, 2016 Lindsay rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure why I even read this. Hated the whole trilogy.
Amanda
Jan 22, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved these books as a teen!
Michelle Moon
Nov 08, 2015 Michelle Moon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like it
J.M.
Jul 21, 2009 J.M. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up because I had read and enjoyed a short story by Tanith Lee that appeared in "Realms of Fantasy." While I hadn't read the previous books in the series, it wasn't difficult to pick up the story line with the third book.

Overall, I thought the story was alright but nothing really impressive. There are better fantasy series out there. Fans would enjoy it, I'm sure, but the quality of writing I expected based on the short story I read simply wasn't there.
Morgan
Aug 29, 2016 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed it. Evidenced by the fact that I looked for spoilers instead of waiting to find things out in the natural course of the book... Very intriguing. Argul deserves better than Claidi, IMO, but they do go together very well.
Polly
Dec 04, 2010 Polly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, ya
Started reading, and gave up halfway through. It was when Claidi started wondering if it was really all her fault that I threw it away in disgust. Yes dear, it's totally your fault that you were kidnapped, and while you were away someone came and told your lover you had run away with someone else, and that your lover was such a damn fool that he went off in a snit and now won't talk to you.
Kendall
Apr 12, 2012 Kendall marked it as gave-up-on  ·  review of another edition
I only got about 20-30 pages into this book when I just could not continue reading it. The fact that the hulta just completely ignored what she was trying to say because of something someone from the tower told her after they had saved her from them and knew what they were all about in book 1, makes absolutely no sense to me. So I was unable to read past that because it bothered me so much.
Seaport
Mar 19, 2008 Seaport rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like Adventure, first person books and strange-ness
I think...I think I remember this book being confusing- the dice was really confusing for me. But then again- it probably wouldn't be for others. It was a couple years ago that I read the series, sooooo- I wouldn't trust my judgement. Not as good as the third, and I say that because I remember the second the most. Still fun and exciting though- a good easy read series.
  • Exploring Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials: An Unauthorized Adventure Through The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass
  • Treasure at the Heart of the Tanglewood
  • The Seventh Tower (The Seventh Tower omnibus, #4-6)
  • The Tenth Power (The Chanters of Tremaris, #3)
  • New Moon (Oran, #1)
  • The Truth-Teller's Tale (Safe-Keepers, #2)
  • Sign of the Dove (The Dragon Chronicles, Book 3)
  • The Immortals (Immortals, #1-4)
  • Divine by Mistake / Divine by Choice / Divine by Blood / Elphame's Choice / Brighid's Quest (Partholon, #1-5)
  • The Legend of Lady Ilena (Lady Ilena, #1)
  • Black Maria
  • I Am Morgan le Fay
  • A Plague of Sorcerers: A Magical Mystery
  • Dark Whispers (Unicorn Chronicles, #3)
  • The Lioness and Her Knight (The Squire's Tales, #7)
  • The Healer's Keep (Healer and Seer, #2)
  • Close Kin (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #2)
  • Crown Duel (Crown & Court #1-2)
Tanith Lee was a British writer of science fiction, horror, and fantasy. She was the author of 77 novels, 14 collections, and almost 300 short stories. She also wrote four radio plays broadcast by the BBC and two scripts for the UK, science fiction, cult television series "Blake's 7."
Before becoming a full time writer, Lee worked as a file clerk, an assistant librarian, a shop assistant, and a wai
More about Tanith Lee...

Claidi Journals (4 books)
  • Wolf Tower (Claidi Journals, #1)
  • Wolf Star (Claidi Journals #2)
  • Wolf Wing (Claidi Journals, #4)

“Whatever the hell I am, I am Me.” 22 likes