Start by marking “Invisible Heroes: Survivors of Trauma and How They Heal” as Want to Read:
Invisible Heroes: Survivors of Trauma and How They Heal

Invisible Heroes: Survivors of Trauma and How They Heal

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  127 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
If you or someone you love has suffered a traumatic event, you know the devastating impact it can have on your life and your spirit. Life-threatening accidents, illnesses, assaults, abusive relationships or a tragedy like 9/11 all can leave deep emotional wounds that persist long after physical scars have healed. Survivors become invisible heroes, courageously struggling t ...more
Published December 27th 2005 by Bantam Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Invisible Heroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invisible Heroes

Erika
Jul 30, 2016 Erika rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best, most comprehensive & user-friendly guides to understanding and treating post-traumatic stress disorder. Appropriate for clinicians and clients and everyone in between. Her descriptions of what happens in the brain and body during a traumatic event are captivatingly poetic. Her suggestions for how best to heal and reclaim your life are practical, prescriptive and clear. The spine on my copy will be creased for sure as I use it to help others.
Ashlee Foster (Tidwell)
Feb 10, 2014 Ashlee Foster (Tidwell) rated it really liked it
I have read this book in the past, but it's amazing how much information you look passed, when you're not ready to see it. I started reading this book last night and finished it this afternoon, highlighting what felt like the entire book. This book is an incredible resource for those suffering from PTSD or have a loved one suffering. From the biological components of how the brain is impacted, to the healing possibilities available, each page helps you get one step closer to knowing where your p ...more
Stephanie
Jan 14, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
PTSD a is a difficult monster to deal with. It's excellent that we can hack the brain well enough to survive it. Help and hope are not only there, but healing PTSD in our decade is incredibly achievable. The book explains the what and the how well.
Jun 08, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it
I was able to listen to one of her guided imageries on cd and it was a really cool experience. I'd recommend it if you have the chance!
Clivemichael
Great resource, well written.
Carol
Jan 10, 2015 Carol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sold-on
Although the book is well written and explains the process and recovery of PTSD it perhaps was not the right time for me to be reading it. I found myself skipping sections that I could see were dreadful experiences from trauma survivors. The guided imagery techniques in the last sections could be useful but I prefer to listen to CD`s, I could not imagine recording myself reading these to play back and listen to. ...more
Jenn
Aug 17, 2015 Jenn rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
I feel badly giving this book such a low rating. Perhaps I'm just not "in tune" with the idea of guided imagery just yet.
Rachel Evans
Mar 23, 2016 Rachel Evans rated it really liked it
I originally began this book because I was using it to work with some clients who had had various trauma. With some clients it was useful, with other clients it was far too triggering. This is interesting where it goes back and forth the first half of the book with clients discussing their trauma and reactions and how getting help changed them. The second half of the book is more scientific based, research and recovery options, nonetheless still interesting and important.
Victoria Campbell
It's a difficult book to read because there are triggers. So I took my time. Belleruth Naperstak has done amazing work with PTSD and child abuse that later causes problems in adulthood. I use her guided imagery which i how I became aware of this book.

Ultimately, it is very helpful to Adult Children or survivors. It also helps explain to significant others how it feels at times when you don't feel "safe"
Laura Vanhook
Sep 06, 2015 Laura Vanhook rated it it was amazing
if you've ever encountered PTSD either personally or from a family member or friend this is the book to read it'll help you in ways that no Counseling can and tell you where and places to get help should you need. it has a companion CD specifically for PTSD individuals.
Stefan
May 25, 2013 Stefan rated it liked it
Very good. definite insights into various aspects of PTSD and its alleviation. Written by someone who clearly is an outstanding therapist.
Karen Lawrence
Nov 14, 2010 Karen Lawrence rated it it was amazing
Powerful stories, eye-opening research into the treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder.
Jennifer Worrell
Dec 30, 2015 Jennifer Worrell rated it really liked it
Lots of great detailed stories in here from survivors.
Jocelyn
Mar 21, 2012 Jocelyn rated it liked it
very insightful
Andrea
Mar 13, 2010 Andrea is currently reading it
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Heather Mcclesket
Heather Mcclesket marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Lëaf Ednïwinga
Lëaf Ednïwinga marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Barnett Langford
Barnett Langford rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Anita
Anita is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Jimmy
Jimmy rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
Christia
Christia rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
  • I Can't Get Over It: A Handbook for Trauma Survivors
  • Healing Trauma
  • Treating Complex Traumatic Stress Disorders (Adults): An Evidence-Based Guide
  • Breaking Down the Wall of Silence: The Liberating Experience of Facing Painful Truth
  • The Power of Your Other Hand: A Course in Channeling the Inner Wisdom of the Right Brain
  • Under Saturn's Shadow: The Wounding and Healing of Men (Studies in Jungian Psychology By Jungian Analysts, 63)
  • Emotional Sobriety: From Relationship Trauma to Resilience and Balance
  • Transformation: Understanding the Three Levels of Mascul
  • From Age-ing to Sage-ing: A Revolutionary Approach to Growing Older
  • Adult Children of Abusive Parents
  • Lucid Dreamer: A Waking Guide for the Traveler Between Worlds
  • The Body Bears the Burden: Trauma, Dissociation, and Disease
  • Why Good Things Happen to Good People: The Exciting New Research that Proves the Link Between Doing Good and Living a Longer, Healthier, Happier Life
  • Interpersonal Process in Therapy: An Integrative Model