Start by marking “The Invisible War: What Every Believer Needs to Know about Satan, Demons, and Spiritual Warfare” as Want to Read:

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  304 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Examines what believers need to know about Satan, demons, and spiritual warfare. This book helps Christians understand what the Bible says about these threats and shows them how they can safeguard themselves and their families through prayer.
Published January 1st 2007 by Baker Books (first published 2006)

Win a Copy of This Book

• The Invisible War by Chip Ingram
    The Bible is clear: if you are a Christian, you are at war. But our approach to spiritual warfare usually falls into one of two extremes--either we pl…more

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 155 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jul 15 - Aug 15, 2015

Countries available: US

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Invisible War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Invisible War

Dorothy Bandusky
    Using the Bible as the ultimate authority, this book emphasizes the reality of Satan and demons and goes on to clarify that while they are to be respected, Christians have no need to fear them.

The author explains how readers can prepare for and protect themselves against spiritual attack as well as what to do when attacked. (Because if one never experiences opposition, something is dangerously wrong.) Further, the importance of prayer and the possible reasons why it's often so hard to do are dis
    Ed
    I really enjoyed this book concerning the spiritual warfare of the Christian. Ingram divides the book up into four major parts: Spiritual Warfare 101 - What every believer needs to know; Spiritual Warfare 201 - How to prepare yourself for Spiritual Battle; Spiritual Warfare 301 - How to do battle with the enemy and win; Spiritual Warfare 401 - Deliverance from demonic influence. He uses much Scripture to defend what he is teaching. At the end of each chapter, he has a section on Personal Applica ...more
    Deborah
    Reviewed by Herb:
    I presented a workshop on Spiritual Warfare this year and read a handful of books on the subject, some academic and others more practical, but this is the book I am recommending among them all. It is short, concise, with an easy format and helpful scriptural basis. Don’t be scared away by the title – it is not a book filled with demon stories, but rather a look at the biblical balance of the flesh, the world, and the Devil. I particular found practical Ingram’s focus on our batt
    Jason
    Wow. This book really got me to thinking more about the realities of spiritual warfare and being more cognizant of it in our lives. It is certainly easy to accept spiritual warfare in the Bible and to say...ok, it may have happened back when Christ was around...but, to think about it in today's terms with current culturally accepted practices is very sobering. I also appreciated the perspective Chip brought on putting on the armor of God. I always thought that it was used too much as a checklist ...more
    Dawn Hamsher
    The whole book is chalk-full of practical "how to" ways to stay in the Lord and fight spiritual battles when they arise. This book was mentioned in another book, "For the Joy Set Before Us" by Erica Fye and I am so glad I got it! Chip Ingram has extensive experience with spiritual warfare and is a wealth of knowledge. It was eye-opening, giving real-life examples of spiritual warfare going on in the U.S. and overseas. It also gives reasons why most Western Christians don't seem to experience muc ...more
    Stevie
    This a well balanced book on spiritual warfare that gave me a lot of insight to the Invisible War.

"We do not fight for victory, but from victory"

Application:

Be aware of the enemy's influence in my life and others

Prayer consistently, intensely, and strategically

Memorize:
    James 4:7
    1 John 4:4
    1 John 5:4-5
    Revelation 12:11
    Mac
    Ingram does a fantastic job of really diving into what it means and looks like to wield the armor of God in relation to spiritual warfare. I really think there's a solid amount of practical knowledge in this book that many Christians need to know and use for themselves and God's kingdom. Very much worth reading.
    John Nichols
    Ready reference for believers wanting guidance on spiritual warfare. Logical layout with summaries giving key Scripture references before major sections. Many practical examples and strategies for winning the war.
    Nancy Bandusky
    The author provides information regarding the war we are in whether we think we are or not! Using biblical support, without sensationalism, he builds a firm foundation for what is happening in this war and why it is still important to fight despite the outcome already being decided, how we should protect ourselves and how we should prepare for battle. It is a wake-up call to the sleepy American Christian that thinks the war isn't here.
    Linda
    This book is a concise guide to spiritual warfare. Chip Ingram gives a well-balanced and biblical approach to how we should arm and defend ourselves in spiritual battle. His book is divided into 4 sections: 101- What Every Believer Needs to Know, 201- How to Prepare Yourself for Spiritual Battle, 301- How to Do Battle with the Enemy and Win, and 401- Deliverance from Demonic Influence. He has done battle himself many times and gives personal examples to further illustrate the concepts he is rela ...more
    linda rodriguez
    After not reading a book in 10 years

I couldn't put this down. I recommend this book to anyone struggling with the realness of God and spiritual warfare!!
    Melissa
    Chip Ingram faithfully walks the line between not giving "the invisible war" enough credence and giving it to much. His teaching is biblically solid, and it offers hope. I think every believer needs good teaching on this subject, and this book is a great place to get it. I highly recommend this to anyone who is tempted to ignore this part of biblical teaching and to anyone who suspects they may be caught in the middle of the invisible war. I highly recommend this book!
    Matt Anderson
    Although I didn't finish this book, I gave it one star for the sheer amount of times I tried to read it and couldn't get into it. I finally had enough, so I'm using this review to warn you. Don't bother with this book. Even though I'm sure that Chip Ingram is a good guy, this book was not engaging, and felt below elementary to me. Sorry, Chip.

P.S. - I got rid of this book. It is finally, after years, out of my home.
    Kim
    The cover looks a little crazy, but the book itself is a fantastic look at spiritual armor as outlined in Ephesians 6 and the tools that God has given us for standing firm in our faith. It's a fantastic read, and I actually think that every Christian should know what spiritual armor is, how we put it on, and how we stand firm in trials and temptations. This is a book I'll recommend for years.
    Rich Brown
    A great reminder on why we need to keep our mound saturated with the word of God.
    Steve Penner
    This is a very balanced view of spiritual warfare as it uses Paul's illustration of putting on the full armor of God to explain how our enemy, the devil, tries to attack, distract, accuse and abuse us. Most important takeaway: we stand and we fight from victory not for victory. An excellent choice for a small group who wants to grow in their awareness of the battle.
    Carol Shinde
    I LOVED this book. It was so helpful in understanding spiritual warfare. I have the DVD and workbook as well. Chip is a very gifted teacher. He's very down to earth but bold in his teaching. He doesn't mince words and he backs everything up with Scripture. If anyone is struggling with spiritual warfare, I highly suggest reading this book and doing the series.
    James Kim
    This is one of the most biblical, practical, readable books about spiritual warfare I've read. I wish all my friends and church members would read this book to get a better understanding of the reality of the Kingdom of God that is fully present in Christ and that which will be fully realized when Christ returns.
    Chad Greenough
    Amazing book! One of the most important books I have read for my spiritual life. Has convicted me deeply on things I need to change in my life.

I highly recommend this to every Christian!!
    Sam Schweigert
    This was a good book, it was an eye opener to being ready to face anything in your Christian life. It was informational and challenging. I really enjoyed it, read it as part of our Sunday School class. Sometime I will reread it slower to absorb more information.
    Jack Hansen
    Chip Ingram writes a wonderful book that instructs the reader in the proper use of the armor of God. More importantly, the author stresses that it is the God in the armor in whom one confides that protects and one's deep faith that allows facing evil without fear.
    Mike E.
    This was required reading for my EFCA GATEWAY Phase 2 students.

This reads (mostly) as a sermon series that was edited for written publication.

Ingram takes a balanced, middle-of-the-road position regarding the reality of spiritual warfare.
    Shannon
    This book gave me great insight and teaching about spiritual warfare. It talks about what it is and how a Christian is to combat this warfare. I recommend it to anyone who loves and follows Jesus.
    Marissa Morris
    Very thought provoking.... read this as part of my bible study. I didn't agree with all of the author's comments. However, he did illustrate great points and the book drove great conversation.
    don't let the title throw you off: this book is not by or for fanatics. it contains scriptural advice about a very real battle. your battle. today. arm yourself with information and tools.
    Adam Johns
    Very few books unfold the Armor of God like this one. Chip Ingram is a man with experience in this spiritual fight, and he fights well. Listen (or read) and learn!
    Amy
    Definitely an interesting read, but it brought to light some interesting thoughts and ideas. Hard to get through parts of it. The last 2 chapters are the best part!
    Heidi
    Great book about the reality of spiritual warfare all around us. Highly recommend!
    Kim
    Had to read for a bible study I'm about to do-- it was fascinating and I am surprised I finished it as fast as I did. Interesting!
    Spiritual Warfare 1 12 Sep 19, 2009 07:50PM
    • The Greatest Words Ever Spoken: Everything Jesus Said about You, Your Life, and Everything Else
    • Disinformation
    • The Strategy of Satan: How to Detect and Defeat Him
    • The Name
    • When GOD Winks: How the Power of Coincidence Guides Your Life
    • Taylor's Gift: A Courageous Story of Giving Life and Renewing Hope
    • Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit (Great Lives from God's Word, #6)
    • The Islamic Antichrist
    • Captured by Grace: No One Is Beyond the Reach of a Loving God
    • Knowing God Intimately: Being as Close to Him as You Want to Be
    • The Only Necessary Thing: Living a Prayerful Life
    • Kids Are Americans Too
    • They Shall Expel Demons: What You Need to Know about Demons—Your Invisible Enemies
    • When Christ Comes
    Chip Ingram is the senior pastor of Venture Christian Church in Los Gatos, California, and president of Living on the Edge, an international teaching and discipleship ministry. A pastor for over twenty-five years, Chip has a unique ability to communicate truth and challenge people to live out their faith. Chip is author of twelve books, including Overcoming Emotions that Destroy; God: As He Longs ...more
    More about Chip Ingram...
    Good to Great in God's Eyes: 10 Practices Great Christians Have in Common Love, Sex, and Lasting Relationships God: As He Longs for You to See Him Living on the Edge: Dare to Experience True Spirituality Effective Parenting in a Defective World

“Pray when you feel like praying," somebody has said. "Pray when you don't feel like praying. Pray until you do feel like praying.” 7 likes
    “The existence of the devil is so clearly taught in the Bible that to doubt it is to doubt the Bible itself.” 2 likes