Invisible War, The: What Every Believer Needs to Know about Satan, Demons, and Spiritual Warfare

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Some Christians believe strongly in the existence of demons and spiritual warfare. Others downplay or even ignore the idea. With such divergent views, how are Christians supposed to know the truth about demonic forces at work in this world? The Invisible War examines what every believer needs to know about Satan, demons, and spiritual warfare, offering a balanced look at t...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Baker Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Invisible War, The, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invisible War, The

Deborah
Reviewed by Herb:
I presented a workshop on Spiritual Warfare this year and read a handful of books on the subject, some academic and others more practical, but this is the book I am recommending among them all. It is short, concise, with an easy format and helpful scriptural basis. Don’t be scared away by the title – it is not a book filled with demon stories, but rather a look at the biblical balance of the flesh, the world, and the Devil. I particular found practical Ingram’s focus on our batt...more
Jason
Wow. This book really got me to thinking more about the realities of spiritual warfare and being more cognizant of it in our lives. It is certainly easy to accept spiritual warfare in the Bible and to say...ok, it may have happened back when Christ was around...but, to think about it in today's terms with current culturally accepted practices is very sobering. I also appreciated the perspective Chip brought on putting on the armor of God. I always thought that it was used too much as a checklist...more
Stevie
This a well balanced book on spiritual warfare that gave me a lot of insight to the Invisible War.

"We do not fight for victory, but from victory"

Application:

Be aware of the enemy's influence in my life and others

Prayer consistently, intensely, and strategically

Memorize:
James 4:7
1 John 4:4
1 John 5:4-5
Revelation 12:11
Mac
Ingram does a fantastic job of really diving into what it means and looks like to wield the armor of God in relation to spiritual warfare. I really think there's a solid amount of practical knowledge in this book that many Christians need to know and use for themselves and God's kingdom. Very much worth reading.
John Nichols
Ready reference for believers wanting guidance on spiritual warfare. Logical layout with summaries giving key Scripture references before major sections. Many practical examples and strategies for winning the war.
Melissa
Chip Ingram faithfully walks the line between not giving "the invisible war" enough credence and giving it to much. His teaching is biblically solid, and it offers hope. I think every believer needs good teaching on this subject, and this book is a great place to get it. I highly recommend this to anyone who is tempted to ignore this part of biblical teaching and to anyone who suspects they may be caught in the middle of the invisible war. I highly recommend this book!
Matt Anderson
Although I didn't finish this book, I gave it one star for the sheer amount of times I tried to read it and couldn't get into it. I finally had enough, so I'm using this review to warn you. Don't bother with this book. Even though I'm sure that Chip Ingram is a good guy, this book was not engaging, and felt below elementary to me. Sorry, Chip.

P.S. - I got rid of this book. It is finally, after years, out of my home.
Kim
The cover looks a little crazy, but the book itself is a fantastic look at spiritual armor as outlined in Ephesians 6 and the tools that God has given us for standing firm in our faith. It's a fantastic read, and I actually think that every Christian should know what spiritual armor is, how we put it on, and how we stand firm in trials and temptations. This is a book I'll recommend for years.
Steve Penner
This is a very balanced view of spiritual warfare as it uses Paul's illustration of putting on the full armor of God to explain how our enemy, the devil, tries to attack, distract, accuse and abuse us. Most important takeaway: we stand and we fight from victory not for victory. An excellent choice for a small group who wants to grow in their awareness of the battle.
Carol Shinde
I LOVED this book. It was so helpful in understanding spiritual warfare. I have the DVD and workbook as well. Chip is a very gifted teacher. He's very down to earth but bold in his teaching. He doesn't mince words and he backs everything up with Scripture. If anyone is struggling with spiritual warfare, I highly suggest reading this book and doing the series.
James Kim
This is one of the most biblical, practical, readable books about spiritual warfare I've read. I wish all my friends and church members would read this book to get a better understanding of the reality of the Kingdom of God that is fully present in Christ and that which will be fully realized when Christ returns.
Chad Greenough
Amazing book! One of the most important books I have read for my spiritual life. Has convicted me deeply on things I need to change in my life.

I highly recommend this to every Christian!!
Sam Schweigert
This was a good book, it was an eye opener to being ready to face anything in your Christian life. It was informational and challenging. I really enjoyed it, read it as part of our Sunday School class. Sometime I will reread it slower to absorb more information.
Jack Hansen
Chip Ingram writes a wonderful book that instructs the reader in the proper use of the armor of God. More importantly, the author stresses that it is the God in the armor in whom one confides that protects and one's deep faith that allows facing evil without fear.
Mike E.
This was required reading for my EFCA GATEWAY Phase 2 students.

This reads (mostly) as a sermon series that was edited for written publication.

Ingram takes a balanced, middle-of-the-road position regarding the reality of spiritual warfare.
Shannon
This book gave me great insight and teaching about spiritual warfare. It talks about what it is and how a Christian is to combat this warfare. I recommend it to anyone who loves and follows Jesus.
Marissa Morris
Very thought provoking.... read this as part of my bible study. I didn't agree with all of the author's comments. However, he did illustrate great points and the book drove great conversation.
don't let the title throw you off: this book is not by or for fanatics. it contains scriptural advice about a very real battle. your battle. today. arm yourself with information and tools.
Adam Johns
Very few books unfold the Armor of God like this one. Chip Ingram is a man with experience in this spiritual fight, and he fights well. Listen (or read) and learn!
Amy
Definitely an interesting read, but it brought to light some interesting thoughts and ideas. Hard to get through parts of it. The last 2 chapters are the best part!
Heidi
Great book about the reality of spiritual warfare all around us. Highly recommend!
Kim
Had to read for a bible study I'm about to do-- it was fascinating and I am surprised I finished it as fast as I did. Interesting!
Debbie
This book helped me to understand spiritual warfare and the armor of God so much more. I recommend it!
Laverne Byas-smith
good primer on Ephesians 6. used it as reference for a sunday school lesson. good scripture references.
Kristin
This was enlightening. It makes you aware of your surroundings.
Alicia
this has been one of the best books I have read all year
Tee
Clear and understandable. It is a good resource book.
Denise
Very realist book on spiritual warefare.
Rebecca
A very balanced view I think.
Spiritual Warfare 1 12 Sep 19, 2009 07:50PM
Chip Ingram is the senior pastor of Venture Christian Church in Los Gatos, California, and president of Living on the Edge, an international teaching and discipleship ministry. A pastor for over twenty-five years, Chip has a unique ability to communicate truth and challenge people to live out their faith. Chip is author of twelve books, including Overcoming Emotions that Destroy; God: As He Longs...more
More about Chip Ingram...
Good to Great in God's Eyes: 10 Practices Great Christians Have in Common Love, Sex, and Lasting Relationships God: As He Longs for You to See Him Living on the Edge: Dare to Experience True Spirituality Effective Parenting in a Defective World

“Pray when you feel like praying," somebody has said. "Pray when you don't feel like praying. Pray until you do feel like praying.” 7 likes