Start by marking “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter #1)

4.43  ·  Rating Details ·  4,193,331 Ratings  ·  64,014 Reviews
This story is filled with dark comedy and crafted with a quality of writing that has garnered J.K. Rowling top awards in her country and ours. Harry Potter spent ten long years living with his aunt and uncle and stupid cousin, Dudley. Fortunately, Harry has a destiny that he was born to fulfill. One that will rocket him out of his dull life and into a unique experience at ...more
Published October 1st 1999 by Scholastic (first published June 26th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, please sign up.

Olivia YESSS!!!! It is definitely worth reading the books because, the thing is, you DON'T know what's going to happen. They leave loads of things out of the…moreYESSS!!!! It is definitely worth reading the books because, the thing is, you DON'T know what's going to happen. They leave loads of things out of the movies so the books are much more interesting. You should definitely read the books.(less)
Alyssandra In the United States, the term philosopher commonly refers to a scholar of philosophy, rather than an alchemist or magician.

Rowling and her American…more

Rowling and her American editors decided to change the name to Sorcerer because it had a deeper magical presence and would not misinform U.S. audiences of Flamel's occupation.

You can read a bit more about the change here:
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Neverending Story by Michael EndeHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingMatilda by Roald DahlMr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
When In Doubt Go To The Library
3rd out of 33 books — 11 voters
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
The Everlasting Eleven
7th out of 11 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh (the Grinch)
Rereading for the 3rd time for the group read.

Once upon a time, there was a 10th grader named Khanh who didn't get along with people very well. She wasn't an outcast in school, and all the bullying and teasing stopped with the commencement of high school, but she had always been a bookworm and has generally preferred the company of her own thoughts.

Lunchtime had always been dedicated not to eating, but to sitting in the library, browsing through books.

(Not to worry, she got her nutrition in 5th
Aug 20, 2015 Lora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is still waiting to read it
Recommended to Lora by: Tina, Morgan, my own curiosity
I'm going to keep this brief since there isn't much to say that hasn't already been said. *clears throat*
I think the reason I waited so long to read this series is because I just couldn't imagine myself enjoying reading about an eleven-year-old boy and his adventures at a school of wizardry. I thought it would be too juvenile for my taste. I was wrong, of course.
I can honestly say that I loved every minute of this. It's a spectacular little romp with funny, courageous, and endearing characters t
Aug 14, 2013 Voldemort rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a disgrace to all pure bloods. My head looked quite dashing on that strange professor's head.. If only I could have extended my stay. Harry Potter.. This is not over yet.
Dec 06, 2012 Shep rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites

Sasha Alsberg
Oct 23, 2015 Sasha Alsberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why the heck did I not read Harry Potter before now...its flipping magical (literally)!
My original review was a comparison of sorts between Harry Potter and Twilight. However, this is stupid as the two are incomparable. Honestly, its not even worth discussing. Its not just that Twilight doesn't come close, it is the fact that Harry Potter transcends other similar works. Its peerless. To quote Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction: It "ain't the same fuckin' ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same fuckin' sport."

There was a day when I thought I needed to defend Harr
Sep 17, 2016 Zoë rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Update September 2016: Currently rereading this series again! (I need to sort out my priorities.)

I will never ever rate this lower than 5 stars. BEAUTIFUL.
Feb 21, 2016 Navessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

There are no words to do this book justice.
Raeleen Lemay
Dec 16, 2015 Raeleen Lemay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: favorites, own
Review for Illustrated Edition

Perfect. Duh.

Re-Read in December 2014 for Harry Christmas To You

OH LORDY. Every time I read this book it brings back so many memories, and also gets me excited to read the rest of the series again as well because there is so much foreshadowing!!

For example:
-Sirius Black is casually mentioned in the first chapter
-Mrs. Figg is talked about a bit, as she looks after Harry from time to time (or all the time, ayyyy?)
-it always cracks me up when Hagrid says you'd have
K.D. Absolutely
Sep 06, 2014 K.D. Absolutely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Purplycookie, Jzhun and Ruby
Shelves: 501, childrens
How can more than half of my Goodreads friends be wrong with this?

I have to get this right. As of this writing, I have 98 Goodreads friends. 61 (62%) of them have read J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Out of those who read this, 39 (64%) rated this with 5 stars. 11 of them with 4 stars. All the others gave 3 or 2. Only 2 rated this with 1 star. One of them admitted not being able to finish it. She should not have rated it really since she did not read its entirety. (But she
On my list of reasons why my daughters are the bestest thing to ever happen to me, Number 14,577 is that they gave me, at 41 years old, the perfect excuse to revisit the Harry Potter series.

When my oldest angel told me she wanted to start reading the Harry Potter books, I couldn’t have been happier. As I was collecting all seven volumes off the shelf to bring up to her room, I started feeling nostalgic for the whole Hogwarts gang, and I realized that I’d never done more than a perfunctory revie
Oct 23, 2007 Jennifer marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-is-fun
Yes, I've been living under a rock.
Mohammed Arabey
Oct 18, 2016 Mohammed Arabey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's Always Great, Coming back Home..

There's a reason us, the Fans, feel that we're connected, no matter where we from, different culture, ethics, ages..we're all like graduated from there..

..Hogwarts..we're even like in the same class, classmates, no matter which edition we read..

..Cause Harry Potter is not just a's a Life..

The Boy Who Saved Flourished the Book Industry
It's really One of the most important novels in the modern history, Sorry, it's The Most Important ONE.
This Review al
Bookworm Sean
Here are three reasons why Harry Potter rocks my socks:

1.A Better World

One of the main reasons Harry Potter is so wonderful is because Rowling shows you a boring world; it is the world of reality, dry, boring and ordinary. Then under it she reveals fantasy; she reveals everything a reader longs for: she reveals pure escapism. I still want to go to Hogwarts. I always will.

2. We’re all a bit like Harry

Okay so not many of us are orphans, and not many of us are practically abused in their own homes
Oct 18, 2016 Maggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memorable
This boy will be famous. There won't be a child in our world who doesn't know his name.

Everyone grew up with Harry Potter. They read all the books when they were young and watched all the films. They would re-watch and re-read them. They would fall in love with the Wizarding World and would completely adore Harry, Ron, and Hermione. They would talk about them non stop, about Hogwarts, about its teachings, about them wanting to become students there and pretending they are, about joining the HP
Wil Wheaton
May 13, 2014 Wil Wheaton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As wonderful and magical as promised. Because I didn't remember the movie, the third act of the book was a delightful surprise to me.

I wish I'd had this book when I was a kid, because the idea that someone could be special without knowing it, and then get to visit a special world where the things that made him different were the same things that made him awesome would have been really inspiring to me.

Anne's finishing this, too, and I have to wait for her before I start in on the second book ...
Wendy Darling
Current project: re-reading HP.

My history: I was a young adult when this first book came out, and the print book never really grabbed me when I gave it a try. I found that I very much enjoyed the American audiobooks with Jim Dale narrating, however, so I read the first few books this way. But this came to an end when I misplaced the fourth book and no longer had a long commute--I never did reach the end of that wretchedly long quidditch game, so I gave up.

But here it is, 2015 and I'm trying ag
This doesn't really need a review, does it?

This series is brilliant and it will live on forever in our hearts and minds.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Harold Bloom
May 29, 2007 Harold Bloom rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, the carrion-eaters of scholarship
Shelves: therabblement
Can 35 Million Book Buyers Be Wrong? Yes.

Taking arms against Harry Potter, at this moment, is to emulate Hamlet taking arms against a sea of troubles. By opposing the sea, you won't end it. The Harry Potter epiphenomenon will go on, doubtless for some time, as J. R. R. Tolkien did, and then wane.

The official newspaper of our dominant counter-culture, The New York Times, has been startled by the Potter books into establishing a new policy for its not very literate book review. Rather than crowd o
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I wasn't going to review this for Rabid Reads, but then I was reminded of the multitudes of unfortunates who haven't read HARRY POTTER yet . . .

I ask myself:

Me: How can this be?
Self: *shrugs awkwardly*
Me: The HARRY POTTER books breathed new life into readers of all ages. They're amazing, wonderful, fantastic, addicting, SUPERLATIVE--
Self: *nods emphatic agreement*

So what's the deal people?

Boiled down to its most basic elements, HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE is u
Oct 04, 2016 Kai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.”

Harry Potter is the most amazing series that I have ever read in my whole life, and it probably forever will be. I will never love any books as much as I love these. I don't think I have to tell you guys about how good this book is because most of you have already read it anyway.

I haven't written a review so far because I just did not feel the need to put this
Pearl Angeli
Beyond amazing! Way to start the new year! :)

I've read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone way back in High School but I wasn't able to finish it because sad to say, my book was lost. :( And now, thanks to my lovely friend Allie who gave me a copy of this book, I became interested to read it once again and bring back the old times' feels.

And WOW! Just WOW! Thank goodness I decided to read it again because it felt so magical and magnificent and totally breathtaking! -- exactly what I've felt t
Dec 05, 2015 Maxwell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it, 2015
Obviously 5/5 stars, especially because DANG the illustrations in this are on point. They were breathtaking. I can not recommend this illustrated edition enough. Even if you've read the book a million times, reading this version is like seeing it with new eyes. I absolutely LOVED it.
Aug 27, 2016 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
 photo stencil.facebook-post_zpsodkfg2ma.jpg

I'm 30 years old and I've finally started the Harry Potter series. I know what you're thinking- it took me long enough! I say better late than never! I remember when the first movie was released in 2001. My sister was reading the books and so was my best friend. In 2001 I was in high school, and though I loved the movie, I was reading Sylvia Plath and Wally Lamb and had no interest in the young adult genre. Now, totally different story! I'm all about reading some YA.

Since I've seen the movies,
Val ⚓️ Shameless & Skanky ⚓️ Steamy Reads Mrs. Danvers-Tate-Snow
I have a confession to make.

I have never read Harry Potter.

Yes, yes, I know...this is akin to reader sacrilege.

But I just had no interest in these books when they came out. I was too busy reading about men in kilts fucking the milkmaid.

Therefore, my only experience with "Hermione" is the SNL skit where Lindsey Lohan shows Harry and that other scarfed dude her ginormous tatas.

Well, what with everyone going ape shit over the newest installment, I figure I should probably find out what all t
David "proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party"
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is one of the most celebrated books of all time for one simple reason...because it deserves to be!

I'll write a full review when I have time, but for now here's my...

"Book, you have the right to a speedy trial" review

- Rowling's prose is absolutely magical
- Story is not only exciting but often sweet as well
- Lead characters are all captivating
- Comic relief (mostly from Ron) is blended perfectly with the more dramatic events
- Never a dull mo
Mohammed Arabey
Apr 06, 2016 Mohammed Arabey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
في أستفتاء بالجودريدز عن أكثر الكتب تأثيراً في تكوين شخصيتك
كانت أجاباتي بـ"تصويت" غير متوقع

غير أن تلك الرواية سببت طفرة حقيقية في عالم النشر فأنها ايضا كانت اول رواية تقدم توليفة ضخمة من الرسائل الغير مباشرة تقوم بتقوييم السلوك

الاجابة عن السبب سأعلنها غالبا في المقالات السبع عن السلسلة غالبا بعد قراءة اخري قريبا لهذا العالم الساحر والذي بدأت دخوله علي استحياء بمشاهده الفيلم في فبراير 2002
ولكن الامر صار دخولا حقيقيا بحادث ما نتج عنه قرائتي طوال ليله صيف للكتاب الاول لهاري بوتر من منتصف الليل وحتي
Brian Yahn
Jun 26, 2016 Brian Yahn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the Harry Potter series, J.K. Rowling perfects the most important rule of story telling: be interesting. Her prose might not be great (although it is good), her plots and mysteries might be a little convoluted. But damn can she tell an interesting story, build a fun world, and put great characters in it.

From the first sentence, she lets you know what fun you're in for. There's just that magical touch to it only she seems to have. And she keeps it going through the whole book (and the six othe
Books Ring Mah Bell
I read this long long ago to see how "evil" it was. You know, does it encourage children to become witches and wizards? Does reading Harry Potter cause evil?

After chopping off the heads of chickens, bats, a stray cat, and mixing it up in a cauldron pot, I dipped in my voo-doo doll and put a curse on my neighbor. (nothing too bad, just a case of incurable body lice) I then decided there is absoultely nothing wrong with Harry Potter!

*disclaimer for those who don't get my sarcasm: I never cut heads
BOOK Name quiz - same rules as movie-name quiz... (plays included) 24493 6841 1 hour, 1 min ago
Reading Women: Hermione Granger and the Two Useless Boys 4 38 Oct 20, 2016 08:21AM
Change the 1 letter 5587 2062 Oct 20, 2016 03:02AM
Introduction 1 2 Oct 19, 2016 02:57PM
  • The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (Song of the Lioness, #3)
  • The White Dragon (Pern, #3)
  • Feathered Serpent, Part 1 (Tennis Shoes, #3)
  • The Lost Colony (Artemis Fowl, #5)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #3)
  • Molly Moon's Incredible Book of Hypnotism (Molly Moon, #1)
  • Krew elfów (Saga o Wiedźminie, #3)
  • The Raging Fires (Merlin Saga, #3)
  • The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1)
  • The Legend of Luke (Redwall, #12)
  • The Mark of Athena (The Heroes of Olympus, #3)
  • Rebel Angels (Gemma Doyle, #2)
  • Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven, #2)
  • Dragons of Autumn Twilight  (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #1)
  • The Homeward Bounders
  • The Iron Ring
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)