Start by marking “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter #1)

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  2,924,800 ratings  ·  44,174 reviews
This story is filled with dark comedy and crafted with a quality of writing that has garnered J.K. Rowling top awards in her country and ours. Harry Potter spent ten long years living with his aunt and uncle and stupid cousin, Dudley. Fortunately, Harry has a destiny that he was born to fulfill. One that will rocket him out of his dull life and into a unique experience at ...more
Published June 1st 1999 by Scholastic (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, please sign up.

Georgia Sit down. Open the book. Read the words left to right and turn pages when the words stop. Love the book. Realize you found a new way of life
Alyssandra In the United States, the term philosopher commonly refers to a scholar of philosophy, rather than an alchemist or magician.

Rowling and her American…more

Rowling and her American editors decided to change the name to Sorcerer because it had a deeper magical presence and would not misinform U.S. audiences of Flamel's occupation.

You can read a bit more about the change here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0241527/f...(less)
Moon Called by Patricia BriggsHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDark Lover by J.R. WardDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningOne Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
100 Books to Read in 2011
196th out of 602 books — 501 voters
The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienThe Two Towers by J.R.R. TolkienThe Return of the King by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
The Everlasting Eleven
4th out of 11 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Lora
Aug 14, 2011 Lora rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is still waiting to read it
Recommended to Lora by: Tina, Morgan, my own curiosity
I'm going to keep this brief since there isn't much to say that hasn't already been said. *clears throat*
I think the reason I waited so long to read this series is because I just couldn't imagine myself enjoying reading about an eleven-year-old boy and his adventures at a school of wizardry. I thought it would be too juvenile for my taste. I was wrong, of course.
I can honestly say that I loved every minute of this. It's a spectacular little romp with funny, courageous, and endearing characters t
★ Jess
Originally my review was a comparison of Harry Potter and Twilight. However, this is so stupid as the two are incomparable. Twilight does not even come close. To quote Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction: "It ain't the same fuckin' ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same fuckin' sport."
There was a day when I thought I needed to defend Harry Potter, in the midst of the now dead Twilight craze, and you can see that just below:

A note in regard to the on-going Potter vs Twilight de
Scarlet

K.D. Absolutely
Sep 06, 2014 K.D. Absolutely rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Purplycookie, Jzhun and Ruby
Shelves: 501, childrens
How can more than half of my Goodreads friends be wrong with this?

I have to get this right. As of this writing, I have 98 Goodreads friends. 61 (62%) of them have read J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Out of those who read this, 39 (64%) rated this with 5 stars. 11 of them with 4 stars. All the others gave 3 or 2. Only 2 rated this with 1 star. One of them admitted not being able to finish it. She should not have rated it really since she did not read its entirety. (But she
Stephen
On my list of reasons why my daughters are the bestest thing to ever happen to me, Number 14,577 is that they gave me, at 41 years old, the perfect excuse to revisit the Harry Potter series.

When my oldest angel told me she wanted to start reading the Harry Potter books, I couldn’t have been happier. As I was collecting all seven volumes off the shelf to bring up to her room, I started feeling nostalgic for the whole Hogwarts gang, and I realized that I’d never done more than a perfunctory revie
Cheryl Schenick
Strange one this. How can over 40,000 goodread members give this one or two stars.

It’s a children's book, and may I say the most loved children's book written in the last 50 years.

J.K Rowling turned the world of children into avid readers, once they have read the Harry Potter books they moved onto other books, the same can be said with the Twilight novels, the Jason Steed Novels, and the Hunger Games Novels. They may not be written by the worlds greatest ‘Literaturists’ (Ok I agree that Literatu
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
Rereading for the 3rd time for the group read.

Once upon a time, there was a 10th grader named Khanh who didn't get along with people very well. She wasn't an outcast in school, and all the bullying and teasing stopped with the commencement of high school, but she had always been a bookworm and has generally preferred the company of her own thoughts.

Lunchtime had always been dedicated not to eating, but to sitting in the library, browsing through books.

(Not to worry, she got her nutrition in 5th
Navessa
NOPE. CAN'T PROPERLY REVIEW IT! FANGIRL TIME!!!

(view spoiler)
Oct 23, 2007 Jennifer marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-is-fun
Yes, I've been living under a rock.
Raeleen Lemay
Re-Read in December 2014 for Harry Christmas To You

OH LORDY. Every time I read this book it brings back so many memories, and also gets me excited to read the rest of the series again as well because there is so much foreshadowing!!

For example:
-Sirius Black is casually mentioned in the first chapter
-Mrs. Figg is talked about a bit, as she looks after Harry from time to time (or all the time, ayyyy?)
-it always cracks me up when Hagrid says you'd have to be mad to try and rob Gringotts... Damn c
Harold Bloom
May 29, 2007 Harold Bloom rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, the carrion-eaters of scholarship
Shelves: therabblement
Can 35 Million Book Buyers Be Wrong? Yes.

Taking arms against Harry Potter, at this moment, is to emulate Hamlet taking arms against a sea of troubles. By opposing the sea, you won't end it. The Harry Potter epiphenomenon will go on, doubtless for some time, as J. R. R. Tolkien did, and then wane.

The official newspaper of our dominant counter-culture, The New York Times, has been startled by the Potter books into establishing a new policy for its not very literate book review. Rather than crowd o
Wil Wheaton
As wonderful and magical as promised. Because I didn't remember the movie, the third act of the book was a delightful surprise to me.

I wish I'd had this book when I was a kid, because the idea that someone could be special without knowing it, and then get to visit a special world where the things that made him different were the same things that made him awesome would have been really inspiring to me.

Anne's finishing this, too, and I have to wait for her before I start in on the second book ...
Nikki
EDIT NOTE in 2012: Since this apparently isn't obvious, I wrote the review years ago. I do not necessarily have those opinions now. I wouldn't know; I haven't read Harry Potter since. With a degree and five more birthdays behind me I do not necessarily agree with everything I said when I was seventeen years old. I'm happy to chat about the definition of literature with you, or what I think about the Harry Potter phenomenon now or whatever, but try and be civil and don't attack me right out of th ...more
Books Ring Mah Bell
I read this long long ago to see how "evil" it was. You know, does it encourage children to become witches and wizards? Does reading Harry Potter cause evil?

After chopping off the heads of chickens, bats, a stray cat, and mixing it up in a cauldron pot, I dipped in my voo-doo doll and put a curse on my neighbor. (nothing too bad, just a case of incurable body lice) I then decided there is absoultely nothing wrong with Harry Potter!

*disclaimer for those who don't get my sarcasm: I never cut heads
Kat Stark

I love the personal stories that go along with this wonderful series, so here’s my hand at it. Bare with me.

When I was a kid, I actually didn't really like reading. I struggled with it and it didn't seem all that pleasing. I was an explorer after all. I collected acorns for the squirrels, stalked the ducks in our pond, pulled together forts with a bunch of branches, and created mudpies and dirtstews. So many good times to be had without wasting time on books! I was no Matilda:

Then, I met Mr. Su
Inge
This doesn't really need a review, does it?

This series is brilliant and it will live on forever in our hearts and minds.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Delee
I wish this book had come out when I was young, I wish that someone had convinced me to read them when they first came out, and I wish I had read this series before I watched the movies...I wish..I wish..I wish...

I wish I wasn't a Muggle.

photo 3b294801-b8c6-44cc-8a99-38fde1ebba12_zpsfc159743.png

The day started off the same as any other day for Vernon Dursley- he picked out his clothes for work, got dressed, listened to his wife- Petunia- as she struggled with their son -Dudley- during one of his tantrums, grabbed his briefcase, kissed them both good-by
David "proud member of Branwen's adventuring party"
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is one of the most celebrated books of all time for one simple reason...because it deserves to be!

belle
I'll write a full review when I have time, but for now here's...

DAVE'S FINAL JUDGMENT -

THE DEFENSE
- Rowling's prose is absolutely magical
- Story is not only exciting but often sweet as well
- Lead characters are all captivating
- Comic relief (mostly from Ron) is blended perfectly with the more dramatic events
- Never a dull moment

THE PROSECUTION
- Rowling
Mike
I'm not going to comment on the literary shortcomings of this book, the cliches, the painfully long narrative, the fact that the characters will not think about an issue for months, but then suddenly it becomes important again. Smarter people than me have already said all this.

What bothers me about the Harry Potter universe is its characterization of magic. Why is magic so easy in the Harry Potter universe? It's only moderately a matter of skill to use magic. Magic is mostly saying the correct w
Voldemort
This is a disgrace to all pure bloods. My head looked quite dashing on that strange professor's head.. If only I could have extended my stay. Harry Potter.. This is not over yet.
Mohammed Arabey
سُئلت مؤخرا علي الجود ريدز-فضلا عن عدد لانهائي خارجه- عن
أكثر الكتب تأثيراً في تكوين شخصيتك
وقد أجبت عن هذا السؤال باكثر "تصويت" غير متوقع
description
الاجابه عن السبب سأعلنها غالبا بعد قراءه اخري قريبا لهذا العالم الساحر والذي بدأت دخوله علي استحياء بمشاهده الفيلم في فبراير 2002
ولكن الامر صار دخولا حقيقيا بحادث ما نتج عنه قرائتي طوال ليله صيف للكتاب الاول لهاري بوتر من منتصف الليل وحتي مطلع الفجر تقريباواستكملته باقي اليوم التالي في احد ايام سبتمبر قبل الدراسه في 2002
ولندع الاجابه لاحقا حين كتابتي لريفيو يليق
Marian
How could I not give this book 5 stars? I would live in fear of being strung up the nearest Muggle tree! Thankfully, it was a great book and well deserving of high praise.

Not to mention Harry Potter gives way to this famous Office scene:

Michael Scott: We are going to choose team names. Dwight!
Dwight Schrute: We will be called Gryffindor!
Jim Halpert: Really? Not Slytherin?
Dwight Schrute: Slytherin are the bad guys, Jim.
Jim Halpert: I know. Okay, we will be Voldemort.
Dwight Schrute: [fearfully:] H
Keely
Fairly standard kid's fantasy fare from Rowling as she re-introduces the world to the classic British fairy tale, which had been mostly forgotten since Tolkien spliced it with the epic. She mines gold from this rich and storied tradition, but doesn't really fashion anything unique from it.

We can see the beginnings of Rowling's authorial failings (and a hint of her strengths as well). She adopts Rouald Dahl's 'awful family' trope, though it's clear that Rowling does not have the gift of bizarre c
Peter Meredith
In my gradual return to books after my harrowing experience with Mockingjay, I've built myself up to Harry Potter:
Five stars to a book that is what it is and isn't what it's not. Make sense? This is a middle school children's book and when it's read as such it's great. I see people giving this one or two stars and I scratch my head in wonderment. Do they compare it to Shakespeare or Hemmingway? Do they read it as it was meant to be read or are they bringing snooty, intellectual baggage to the ta
Priscilla
Wow! Watching the movie was one thing, but reading it is completely something else! I wish I didn't watch the movies first >__< Or should I say, I wished I read the books first!

My first impressions:
1) I didn't realize how humorous some parts of the book were! Albus Dumbledore, you're definitely off your rocker; but I LOVE IT!
2) The friendships, and interaction between all the characters are great. I love the love/hate relationship going on between Ron and Hermione.
3) Harry is a spunky kid
Tatiana
I primarily wanted to reread this book in honor of the Banned Books Week (this series is #1 on the Top 100 Banned/Challenged Books: 2000-2009 list). It also happened that I was on vacation in Orlando and, surely enough, a Universal Studios Hogwarts visit was a must. Oh, the nostalgia!

A lot has been said already about the series, so I won't repeat. I just feel very, very sad for the kids whose parents choose to ban these books from their houses and their lives. To take something so wondrous, ima
Mohammed Arabey
It's Always Great, Coming back Home....
أخيرا سأخبركم من خلال هذه المقالة سر عودتي المتكررة ,وبقائي للأيام بهوجوارتس
One of the most important novels in the modern history, Sorry, it's The Most Important ONE.
This Review also for those who hate the series !
Without it,most of the Book stores and publishers may have the same fate of the Video stores Blockbuster LLC, which despite being super popular in the 90s, closed all the stores by 2013 ,shutting down forever.
Yes, without this novel, and with the
Dylan Williams
Obviously.

Reread this book for #HarryXmasToYou.
Choco
Do you remember when I said I will review this with my little sister if I can get her to read it?
_________________________________________

Me: Did you have any thoughts about this book before you started? Like, did you think about what kind of story it was going to be and how good or how hard the book was going to be?

Mimi: Yeah! “Philosopher’s Stone” — I thought like… like… a stone people want to take. A special stone that everyone wants because it’s the Philosopher’s Stone!

Me: Uhh… okay. Do you
Manny
Oh look! A cute, funny children's book, just the right length, with a nicely constructed, self-contained plot and a good ending.

Well, obviously we want to turn it into a huge, bloated, ridiculously self-important seven-volume series. Nothing else would make sense.
BOOK Name quiz - same rules as movie-name quiz... (plays included) 15423 5401 1 hour, 16 min ago
Word game starting on fluffy 18081 4177 1 hour, 17 min ago
Change the 1 letter 2443 1211 1 hour, 18 min ago
HP: do you know your alphabet? game 10315 6031 2 hours, 19 min ago
Harry Potter Characters (Spoilers Included) 25 35 7 hours, 47 min ago
2015 Reading Chal...: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling 8 12 18 hours, 56 min ago
Word Game 11 22 22 hours, 20 min ago
  • Emperor Mage (Immortals, #3)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)
  • The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)
  • The Well of Shades (The Bridei Chronicles, #3)
  • Lost in a Good Book (Thursday Next, #2)
  • The Lost Colony (Artemis Fowl, #5)
  • Abhorsen (Abhorsen, #3)
  • The Dark is Rising Sequence (The Dark is Rising, #1-5)
  • Marlfox (Redwall, #11)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Serpent Gift (The Shamer Chronicles, #3)
  • Charlie Bone and the Invisible Boy (The Children of the Red King, #3)
  • The Agony of Alice (Alice, #1)
  • The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)