Start by marking “Gone Away” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Gone Away

Hazel Holt

Gone Away (Mrs. Malory Mysteries #1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Everyone knows that impertinent Lee Montgomery is marrying Charles Richardson for his money. After Lee vanishes, Charles' friends breathe a sigh of relief. But Charles loves his pretty fiancee and is determined to get her back. In this quest he enlists the talents of Mrs. Sheila Malory, whose pastimes include reading nineteenth-century novels and ferreting out the truth. M ...more
Published (first published February 2nd 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Gone Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gone Away

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 3.5* of five

The Book Description: The first book in the delightful British cozy mystery series featuring Mrs. Sheila Malory, a plain-spoken widow residing in the little seaside town of Taviscombe, England. When pretty but avaricious Lee Montgomery disappears, her fiancé Charles Richardson (an old flame of Mrs. M's) enlists Mrs. Malory's help. The dauntless Mrs. Malory soon suspects the worst. Little does she realize the terrible secrets her investigation will reveal....

Or this superior j
Ivonne Rovira
First published as Mrs. Malory Investigates in 1989, Gone Away follows the investigation into the death of a gold-digging real-estate agent (“estate agent” in BritSpeak) who goes missing. The investigator, Sheila Malory, a retired widow, doesn’t even really like the shallow Lee Montgomery, who freely admits that her interest in her fiancé, Sheila’s friend Charles Richardson, centers on his money and his capacity to help her real-estate firm with his business acumen. (Charles, for his part, seems ...more
Janet
Mrs. Sheila Malory is a literary middle-aged widow who putters between charities, neighbors, chores and pets, and who finds herself suddenly involved in a search for a missing person that becomes murder. This small English village drama escapes being too Miss Marple; not only is Sheila Malory younger, but she also has a much more hopeful and warm-hearted approach to people than Miss Marple does, who is famously known for thinking the worst of everyone. Mrs. Malory reminds me more of the characte ...more
adlin
This is the first in the Mrs. Mallory mystery series. It was originally title Mrs. Mallory Investigates. Overall, this was a good mystery, though I hated the ending. It was beyond sad and a little depressing, at least to me. This is the first time I’ve read a cozy mystery where I actually wanted the killer to be someone else.

Having said that, the reason for the murder also didn’t really make sense. To me, it kind of came out of nowhere. And, it didn’t really ring as a motive for murder to me. I
Sandy Weir
Susan gave this one to me... GREAT choice, Susan! First in a group... lucy coincidence! Love the writing style (certainly the adverbs)... and Mrs. Malory HAS to be in first person, because she is you or she is ME! Have to admire her "confusion" and admitting all sorts of personal inadequacies. She ends up achieving her quest for knowledge most successfully. Yes, I cried, too, Mrs. Malory! Hint: I ordered a few more.
Not heavy, light as a well prepared scone!
Ann
Thanks to my well-read and generous daughter-in-law, I now have privy to her entire Hazel Holt series starring Mrs. Malory, amateur sleuth extraordinaire. This is the 1st in the series and has our middle-aged matron helping a long-time friend discover who has murdered his intended. Another small English village succumbs to murderers and various other scoundrels. Is any place safe???
I.
Enjoying this one, even though it was published in 1989 it has the feel of a book set 20 years before, which is OK.
Added #2 to my list

The Author's writing style is very pleasant and the characters are those that readers of classic village mysteries will enjoy
Sherry
I had had Hazel Holt on my list of "to reads" for a long time and finally got around to it. I would have to give this a B and that is fine for the nights when I want a non-complex bit of reading. I am sure I will read more or her work.
Carmel Lile
The main character is my age (with grown children) and I enjoyed her perspective and also the author's writing, but the ending was, for the most part, easy to figure out.
Fanficfan44
Really would say this was a 3.5, but I rounded up.

This is a new cozy mystery series, new to me i should say. First interesting thing is that the protagonist’s name is spelled differently on the cover of the edition I have than everywhere else in the series. On the cover it is Mallory and inside the book and for the rest of the series it is Malory. Just weird, maybe an American versus English difference, I don’t know. Anyhow, on to the rest of the book.

Traditional British cozy village mystery wit
Ally
(From my blog at http://wordvagabond.wordpress.com/ - Reviews of Independent and Small-Press Publications.)

It all begins with a simple request from an old friend. Charles rings Sheila Malory from America to tell her he hasn’t heard from his fiancée, Lee, in several days. She was in Sheila’s village of Taviscombe making prepartions for their wedding. Would Sheila please made enquiries for him?

Oh, what a slippery slope! Who would have thought that a sleepy little English village could harbor so mu
Audrey
This is the first in a cozy mystery series that takes place in a wonderful English village. The main character, Mrs. Malory is a young widow, I think somewhere in her 50's and she fills her life with works of charity, time with good friends being at home with her lovable Siamese cat and her rambunctious Westy dog and reading and writing about Victorian age novels.

The story opens with Mrs. Malory having drinks with some friends and one of her close friends, Charles, introducing his soon to be wif
Maria McGrath
I have loved this series for years, and I may have read this one years ago, since it was pretty clear to me who the culprit was, but it was such a pleasure to dive into the chilly moorland and small-town life Hazel Holt describes. Before there was Precious Ramotswe, there was Sheila Mallory, and the similarities of these books really strike me. There's a sense of slowing down, that everything will get done in good time. I like the mysteries, but I love the descriptions of mundane household chore ...more
Cheryl
I won this book from Nan at Letters from a Hill Farm. I really enjoyed this mystery and read it within a few hours it seems.

Ms. Malory's friend Charles is planning on marrying Lee Montgomery. Lee wanted to meet with Ms. Malory. She did let her know that she wasn't madly in love with him, but likes him and since he was wealthy, it would help her out of a sticky situation. Lee ends up disappearing. Lee's receptionist knows a few things and tells Ms. Malorey who is sworn to secrecy. Lee is seen wi
Jeanette
Oh, what a treat! A tidbit read, quick and easy, but quite satisfying in humor and in plot. Sheila is superb, because she is as real as she is entertaining. And I will remedy missing this series when it was written by reading them all 20 years after the fact. Different country, but the exact same small town "meet up" factors and multiple connection relationships within my lake village Michigan, USA. And they dish and know habits in precisely the same way, as well. In this first book the awful, b ...more
Villager
Mrs. Malory is a younger version of Miss. Marple. Just a widower in a small, country town in England. She knows most of the folks in town ... and has a uniquely inquisitive mind able to connect the dots. I enjoyed the story. I still don't know why an African American man who has never been to England is so enamored by British detectives, spies and widowed busy-bodies with a penchant for solving crimes ... but, I'm going to continue to go for it. I suspect that I will read more of Hazel Holt's no ...more
Carrie
This is the first book in a series starring Sheila Malory, a 50-something widowed woman who lives alone in a cottage in the West Country of England. She keeps busy with her volunteer work and socializing, and in the process stumbles upon a body. It's a pretty standard murder mystery. It reminds me a lot of other series I read, such as Jeanne Dams' books.

This is a light, simple, British murder mystery, but sometimes that's just what I'm looking for.
Pat Darcey
Good British cozy mystery. My favorite recreational reading.
Jane
I love this genre - women characters that din't mean to get drawn into mysteries but love it when it happens. Mrs Malory is a widow whose old friend's fiance has disappeared. He would like her to look into it and see if she can check on what might of happen. This, of course, leads to the mystery. Fun light reading and you might guess the culprit before the end but getting there is just - fun.
Eva Cg
It was over too soon! Just the perfect British small town mystery. I saw the clue and sort of saw it coming, but it wasn't too obvious. Altogether nice characters. Liked the Mrs. Mallory too, although the name Sheila seems a bit unfortunate...

Now I want to read all of them!
HM
A nice little mystery, quick read. Middle-aged, widowed woman in small British village solves local murder mystery. I've loved that genre since my grandmother shared her Agatha Christie Miss Marple with me when I was in highschool.
Mom
This is light reading of the Miss Marple variety with the difference being that it is written in the first person. The plot is well written and the characters well drawn. I think I will continue in the series.
Andy Plonka
This is not one of the better books in the seies. So much of the story depends on Mrs. Malory juat happening to meet someone who supplies a useful clue to point her on the way to the discovery of the murderer.
Nikki
Very good cozy mystery by a close friend of Barbara Pym; one can see the similarities in their world-view although the main character in these books is a widow with a grown son.
Arlene
I just love reading about Sheila Malory and her investigations in the small village of Taviscombe. A great 'cozy" mystery series.
Janet
I couldn't sleep and was glad I had this to keep me from tossing about. I'll be looking for other books in the series.
Judy
A fun fast reading book. This was the first in the Mrs Mallory series.
Susie Kroes
English mystery writer, set in a small town. Very enjoyable.
  • The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #1)
  • After the Armistice Ball (Dandy Gilver, #1)
  • A Nice Class of Corpse (Mrs. Pargeter, #1)
  • Miss Zukas and the Library Murders (Miss Zukas, #1)
  • Dead as a Scone (A Royal Tunbridge Wells Mystery #1)
  • The Cold Light of Mourning (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #1)
  • Dying to Read (The Cate Kinkaid Files, #1)
  • Capable of Murder
  • Rest You Merry (Peter Shandy, #1)
  • A Pint of Murder
  • The Young Widow (Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries #1)
  • The Memorial Hall Murder (Homer Kelly, #3)
  • Three Bedrooms, Two Baths, One Very Dead Corpse
  • Busy Bodies (Claire Malloy, #10)
  • And One to Die On (Gregor Demarkian, #13)
  • Hope, Human and Wild: True Stories of Living Lightly on the Earth
  • Bethlehem Road Murder (Michael Ohayon, #5)
  • The Widow's Club (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #3)
Hazel Holt is a British novelist. She studied at King Edward VI High School for Girls in Birmingham, England, and then Newnham College, Cambridge. She went on to work at the International African Institute in London, where she became acquainted with the novelist Barbara Pym, whose biography she later wrote. She also finished one of Pym's novels after Pym died.

Holt wrote her first novel in her six
More about Hazel Holt...
The Cruellest Month (Mrs. Malory Mysteries, #2) Mrs. Malory Wonders Why My Dear Charlotte Mrs. Malory and the Fatal Legacy Mrs. Malory and the Festival Murders