When Invisible Children Sing

When Invisible Children Sing

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Expecting to treat some mildly ill children from the streets of Bolivia on a quick "service trip," an idealistic young medical student gets more than he bargained for when he takes a year off from Harvard Medical School to work at an orphanage in La Paz. As he comes to know the children, and sees how they live, Chi Huang is drawn deeper and deeper into their complex and de...more
Published September 20th 2006 by SaltRiver (first published September 6th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about When Invisible Children Sing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Invisible Children Sing

The Brightness of Stars by Lisa  CherryAnother Place at the Table by Kathy HarrisonThe Girls Who Went Away by Ann FesslerThe Lost Daughters of China by Karin EvansThe Family Nobody Wanted by Helen Grigsby Doss
Non-Fiction Books about Adoption/Foster Care
53rd out of 253 books — 117 voters
The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan KunderaOne Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled HosseiniExtremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran FoerThe Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
Most Poetic Book Titles
400th out of 846 books — 482 voters

More lists with this book...

Meaghan
Chi Cheng Huang certainly knows how to write. When he describes the street children he tried to help in Bolivia, it feels like you're right there alongside him. The problems the street kids are facing are uncomfortably similar to the problems American foster children have. Dr. Huang wanted to save everyone he met and he learned, time and time again, that it doesn't work like that. But you can save a few people, one at a time.

Other points of interest: He does describe his childhood and his sister...more
Norma Jesus
"All God’s children are created equal. But who really lives as if they believe this? One first world baby stuck at the bottom of a well generates more heartfelt anxiety than the 100 million children trapped on the streets of the developing world ever will.” pg. 232

This heart-wrenching first hand account of street children in Bolivia is a challenge to the reader's thinking about God, His love, and what love in Christ's name looks like.
Tara
Jan 04, 2014 Tara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ashley allman
Recommended to Tara by: alyssa wolfe
You’ll need a box of Kleenex by your side while reading this book, it’s heart wrenching. Dr. Huang introduces readers to the life of street children living in Bolivia without holding anything back. His honest portrayal of the harsh realities of their lives is a call to action for anyone claiming to follow Christ. He shares the story of several children, giving readers an up close and personal perspective of what they face everyday.

“Every month or two, they round up a bunch of street kids to tak...more
MariAn Nyce
The author has a passion for street children, and during his medical studies, asks for a year sabbatical to go to Bolivia. He connects with an orphanage as their doctor, but then goes to the streets to both treat the kids, and talk to them about options they have to get off the streets. He uses music, futbol, and constancy to gain their trust.
Ker
It's about as sad of a book as you might think from reading the jacket. I wish no one had to live on the street. I believe Bolivia is the poorest country in all of Central and South America, and this focuses on a few children on the streets of La Paz. I'm grateful for the author's efforts to help these children.
Linda
Amazing book and really a eye opener
Annie
Heartbreaking and inspiring for me, this memoir is about Huang's year-long (and now, lifelong) journey to Bolivia to treat street children in La Paz. He casts an unblinking yet compassionate eye at the struggles and triumphs of these forgotten children, telling the individual stories of several of the children he encounters. 4 1/2 to 5 stars. Unforgettable and will influence my future work.
Susanna
This was a phenomenal book. Very well-written. TOUGH to process - it made my brain hurt to try and absorb the reality of life for so many children who live on the streets. It's the kind of book I try to read regularly to remind me that the world is much bigger than my own little circle. There are huge needs out there and this book is very eye-opening. I highly recommend it.
Charlotte
Deals with Dr. Chi's experiences while living in Bolivia. He meets the street children each night and treats them for their medical problems. He gets to know some of them very well. They share their personal stories with him about how they came to live on the streets. Some of the stories in this book will break your heart. Dr. Chi asks us to "see" his invisible children.
This book was a fairly quick read, but it was very emotional. It's subtitle really describes it well: "An idealistic young doctor, 5 street kids and their dangerous hope." I cried at about 3 differnt points, but if you ever want to have more hope in humanity then you should read this. It's quite inspirational, but be warned, it is not sugar coated at all.
Deana
This book was well written, and awe inspiring. The book is hard to read, in that it really paints the picture of the street children. It opened my eyes to a whole new world, and I will be forever grateful to Dr Huang for writing it.
I gave it 5 stars because I could not put it down, and am planning on reading it again.
Jessica
It is good to know that sorrows that go on in the world, but it is hard for me to read. I gave this book a three because it was so disturbing and dark. I don't regret reading it. It made me want to help. It made me so grateful for my life and for the life my children have, but it was really hard to read.
Becks
The travels of soon-to-be doctor to Bolivia. He works with the street children, befriending them, learning their pain and struggles.
It's interwoven with his own story. A beautiful, and, at times, painful read about the reality of poverty and abuse among these neglected children.
Owen
Chi Huang travels to Bolivia to work with children living on the street during a break from medical school. This book is a heartbreaking account of these children. A worthwhile read to learn more about a forgotten people group, I just wish I enjoyed the style of writing more.
Terri Mcgarry
What an amazing book. The author can speak from a place of authenticity, as he walked alongside these street children. He did not fear embracing their pain or entering into their suffering. I hope someday to help these children in meaningful ways.
Jessica
I am in awe of people like Dr Chi--sacrificing everything to bring medical care to the street children of Bolivia. It was awful to learn of the lives of these kids, but I'm glad I read this book. I finished grateful and inspired.
Marnae Powell
This book is written by a medical student who travels to Bolivia to help the street children. It was good, but sobering in many regards. It re-affirms your belief in good people who are trying to make a difference.
Heather Stroh
A captivating yet heart-wrenching account of the lives of homeless children on the streets and a physician with a huge heart. It could have been twice as long and I would have kept right on reading!!!
This book was really sad to read what these kids go through but very interesting to see how they stick together and help each other out and become each others family when they have nobody else.
Julie
Dec 16, 2007 Julie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: haveread, top-choices
amazing! one of the best books i've read in a while - similar in ways to 'in search of respect' interesting insights to homelessness particularly pertaining to children
Christine Bula
This is an honest, shocking and very true account of the life of street children in Bolivia--through the eyes of a volunteer. This one was very real for me.
Sandi
A book about a third-year medical student from Harvard who spends several months working with street children in Bolivia. From a Christian perspective.
Audrey
A humane, compassionate, insightful book regarding those who have been forgotten . . .by someone who is making a difference, one child at a time.
Gayle
This is a book we all should read as it shows the life of street kids in other countries. I would read again and again.
Rick
Great story about trying to help when sometimes people don't want help. Affirming to the dignity of humankind.
Nicole Dufendach
This book is stunning. It will challenge you to think differently about the poor, specifically poor children.
Leslee Jaeger
Not great writing, but was interesting after just having traveled to Bolivia and working in a children's home.
Monica
Love this book! What an inspiration!! My heart hurts for these kids and all the kids that need love in their lives.
Livia Blackburne
An amazing account of a doctor working among Bolivian street children. Touching and sad.
Lauren Nest
Sad, Challenging, a picture into a different world, would definitely recommend.