Start by marking “Experiencing Architecture” as Want to Read:
Experiencing Architecture

Experiencing Architecture

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  1,040 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Profusely illustrated with fine instances of architectural experimentation through the centuries, Experiencing Architecture manages to convey the intellectual excitement of superb design. From teacups, riding boots, golf balls, and underwater sculpture to the villas of Palladio and the fish-feeding pavilion of the Peking Winter Palace, the author ranges over the less-famil ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 245 pages
Published March 15th 1964 by Mit Press (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Experiencing Architecture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Experiencing Architecture

Fred Putnam
Mar 19, 2014 Fred Putnam rated it it was amazing
I have read about two dozen books on architecture; this is the most helpful by far. "Daylight in Architecture" (ch. VIII) not only explains light and buildings, but explains Vermeer's use of light in his paintings--a double bonus! "Hearing Architecture" (ch. X) is a brilliant introduction to buildings and sound, with another bonus: the effect of architecture on church music, specifically how building styles led to the change from monodony to polyphony (e.g., chant to fugue). The rest of the book ...more
Bonita Adair
Mar 01, 2014 Bonita Adair rated it it was amazing
Shelves: deaf-studies
I took Deaf Studies: Deaf Spaces. This was applied to this book and helped us to understand how the architecture works. It applied to our project for Deaf Space course. Teacher's concepts and the book guided our ideas to remodel early 1900's houses on row at Gally University.
Patrycja Mazurek
Podstawa podstaw dla tych, którzy obcują z architekturą. Czyli dla każdego.
Robert St.Amant
May 26, 2012 Robert St.Amant rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books, which I tend to give away whenever I pick up a copy in a used bookstore. I seem to remember that it's a sequel of sorts to his Towns and Buildings, but Experiencing Architecture is much more memorable. Rasmussen basically explains what architecture is all about, in a way that's accessible to an interested lay reader like me. He writes, for example,

The enormous church of S. Maria Maggiore stands on one of Rome's seven famous hills. Originally the site was very un
Wei Cho
Jul 02, 2012 Wei Cho rated it really liked it
I was given this book for my first design class, we were supposed to write an essay of our thoughts about the book and if it changed our way to experience architecture, or the lack thereof. We had several projects going on, and competitions as well, that my professor lost focus on the book and dismissed the paper. Which I think was a shame because I could have learned so much from it.

After four semesters (2 years) I decided to pick it up again since I saw it lying in the bottom of my drawer and
Marija
May 16, 2012 Marija rated it liked it
I would give this 3.5 stars if I could. This is the first book I have read on architecture and it has introduced me to a number of exciting ideas, such as the effects of acoustics in architecture and use of light and color. The author writes in a casual style which makes it very easy to follow along, but also means he makes several unsupported claims (it is a "well known fact" that seeing riding boots produces a sense of honor and royalty in the viewer, and that tennis rackets produce feelings o ...more
Andrea
Jul 16, 2014 Andrea rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! I first found it on a list called "Books to read before going to architecture school" on an architecture student's blog. He said "if you can't read any others, at least read this one." I can see why. It explains concepts in a way that the untrained can still understand, and he opens the reader's eyes to the beauty of architecture and all its different aspects. I learned a great deal from this book. (There are a few slightly racist/sexist comments by the author here and ther ...more
Aisha
Sep 17, 2016 Aisha rated it really liked it
As someone who is currently applying to universities to study architecture and is new to the world of architecture, I found this book a very useful introduction. He discusses many different aspects of architecture, allowing you to understand what an architect needs to consider. He also spoke of the history of (mostly European) architecture which I also found helpful.
Senna
Apr 07, 2016 Senna rated it really liked it
its generally hard to put the experience of architecture in words but this book gives you a beautiful and sensible description of things you may never have given thought to.it truly shows that the work of an architect is a work of a passionate and considering person .this work is for users to see, feel and be a part of it every day.
Hal Werner
Jan 26, 2013 Hal Werner rated it really liked it
Be prepared to think when you read this book. It gets a bit dense at times, but is worth it. For a non-architect, it can change the way you think about the built spaces around us. Discovering how different crafts and arts like textiles and musical rhythm get turned into places and structures was a worthwhile experience.
Stormy
Jan 09, 2015 Stormy rated it really liked it
This is a good, basic book for learning what to "see" in Western architecture. It was written in the 1950's, so is outdated for anything post-modern, but I really really enjoyed the Renaissance and Baroque discussions (most of them centered in Rome).
Pinar Gungor
Feb 01, 2015 Pinar Gungor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mimarlikla ilgili hicbir sey bilmiyorum o yuzden bu kitap bana zor geldi. Yorumlarda aksini soylese de konuya yabanci olanlar icin okumasi o kadar kolay degil. Son zamanlarda populer bilim konulari cok iyi kaleme aliniyor, tabii bu kitap eski oldugu icin o anlatimi bulamadim.
Timmytoothless
Oct 01, 2016 Timmytoothless rated it really liked it
Well chosen anecdotes such as the facades of Venetian villas and the utility of Dutch windows, serve as a reminder that architecture's highest aspiration is to be well suited to a cultural purpose. A must read for designers.
Aimilia
Aug 24, 2016 Aimilia rated it it was amazing
A very deep and thorough answer to the question of what do we do with architecture? Do we see it? Hear it? ... Throughout the modernistic era, Rasmussen managed to feel, with the help of cinema,art,etc, the totality of architecture, further from mere measurements and numbers.
Elizabeth
Aug 24, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Re-reading, good read for non-architects
Lori Jones
Aug 03, 2013 Lori Jones rated it really liked it
Pretty good, but the author focused on Le Corbusier more than any other architect. I didn't learn anything groundbreaking (I didn't learn much at all), but the few gems were worth it. Well written.
Kate
Apr 03, 2010 Kate rated it liked it
old style good ideas about experiencing architecture; (appropriate title!) nice pictures
G
Oct 22, 2008 G rated it liked it
how to experience architecture from various perspectives.
maha
Jan 18, 2010 maha rated it liked it
Shelves: to-buy, architecture
نستشعر العمارة والامكان من خلال حواسنا الخمس:المكان له صوت، يتأثر بالاضاءة النهارية، بحاسة اللمس وغيره.
Robin Hartanto
Dec 29, 2011 Robin Hartanto rated it really liked it
Because architectural objects are not just monuments.
Cara
Feb 02, 2013 Cara rated it liked it
Read this in design school at NCSU many moons ago. Pulled it out as a reference for work and loved it a second time around.
Skinnypeterm
Jan 10, 2010 Skinnypeterm rated it really liked it
An insightful look on architecture by an author I tend to agree with. Written for anyone with even a passing interest in architecture and the built environment.
Khenan Bragador
Oct 06, 2015 Khenan Bragador rated it really liked it
Shelves: uni
Especially fascinating are the chapters about color and ambiance.
Lee Lee
favorite
Eric Jonathan Martin
Jan 14, 2014 Eric Jonathan Martin rated it really liked it
Excellent read. Takes some very technical aspects of architecture and makes a very readible book.
Hamzatahir
Mar 08, 2014 Hamzatahir rated it it was amazing
i was a very good book
Costumel
Nov 11, 2012 Costumel rated it really liked it
Shelves: architecture
Really helpful in understanding the way an architect should think about every aspect of a dwelling.
Zaiga
Oct 12, 2010 Zaiga rated it it was amazing
I'm ready to experience architecture. I'm ready to see it, smell, it sense it, feel it, hear it. Thanks, Uncle Steen!
Aven
Jul 26, 2010 Aven rated it liked it
Really great read for budding architects. It has some definitions and makes you think about what you should be seeing and doing when you're an architect.
Fardokhtsadat Mohammadi
Oct 30, 2015 Fardokhtsadat Mohammadi rated it liked it
Shelves: arch
it was my first architecture book, I should indicate that its language is easy to understand and this aspect has made this book more interesting.
  • Complexity and Contradiction in Architecture
  • Modern Architecture: A Critical History (World of Art)
  • Modern Architecture Since 1900
  • Towards a New Architecture (Dover Architecture)
  • Analysing Architecture
  • S, M, L, XL
  • Architecture without Architects: A Short Introduction to Non-Pedigreed Architecture
  • Thinking Architecture
  • The Ten Books on Architecture
  • Questions Of Perception: Phenomenology Of Architecture
  • Genius Loci: Towards a Phenomenology of Architecture
  • Programs and Manifestoes on 20th-Century Architecture

“Seen from an aeroplane high in the air, even the most gigantic skyscraper is only a tall stone black, a mere sculptural form, not a real building in which people can live. But as the plane descends from the great heights there will be one moment when the buildings change character completely. Suddenly, they take on human scale, become houses for human beings like ourselves, not the tiny dolls observed from the heights. This strange tranformation takes place at the instant when the contours of the buildings begin to rise above the horizon so that we get a side view of them instead of looking down on them. The buildings pass into a new stage of existence, become architecture in place of neat toys -- for architecture means shapes formed around man, formed to be lived in, not merely to be seen from outside.” 0 likes
“En fait, l'une des preuves qu'une architecture est bonne, c'est qu'on l'utilise comme l'architecte l'avait conçu.” 0 likes