Start by marking “Not Just a Witch” as Want to Read:
Not Just a Witch

Not Just a Witch

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  904 ratings  ·  54 reviews
A witch who wants to Do Good? In the world of Eva Ibbotson, this means trouble. Heckie, a graduate of one of the best witch schools, settles in the town of Wellbridge, determined to discover evildoers and turn them into . . . animals. She turns the mean owner of a nasty nursing home into a warthog, a bank robber into a mouse, and a cruel chicken farmer into a fish. The Wel...more
Published June 2nd 2003 by Dutton Children's Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Not Just a Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Just a Witch

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteHowl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
Before Harry
61st out of 99 books — 34 voters
Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisUglies by Scott WesterfeldCircle of Five by Jan Raymond
Best of YA and Children's Fantasy
317th out of 438 books — 539 voters

More lists with this book...

Amalie
Eva Ibbotson really does have an interesting way with words. She is a good writer, you'll never get confused in her books and you can be sure: she'll make you laugh and will never make you feel bored .

Everyone knows that her ghosts and witches are THE BEST! But over-all each one of her characters is outrageous, their names are the silliest and they do the craziest and stupidest things (the villains do the worst things). They are all here in "Not Just A Witch" again.

Here's how it goes: Hectate Te...more
Marfita
Ibbotson writes in the simple declarative sentences of someone telling a bedtime tale ... and then guides the reader gently by the hand into horror. Because it's a children's book, all has to turn out for the best. In the meantime, the most unimaginable cruelties can take place.
There are two witches who were best friends in witching school but had a falling out and went their separate ways. Because they are "good" witches, they try to do good. This seems to consist of finding very bad people an...more
Sally
Eden
Heckie is an animal witch and that means she can turn people into animals. As a child her parents enroll her in a school for witches and there she meets Dora, who is a stone witch and can turn things into stone.

For 30 years they've been best friends, but on the day of their graduation from witch school, they have a fight. Instead of living together and making the world a better place after school is finished, they decide to go their own separate ways, each making to a different town.

In Heckie's...more
LauraW
I wanted something a bit lighter, since my life right now has been "challenging", and this fit the bill for this, but the story didn't quite make it for me.

The characters are the main attraction, but somehow, I just didn't find out enough about them to make a real connection. For example, you don't really get to know Heckie and her friend Dora, before they have a big fight and stop talking to each other. You don't care enough about the friendship to feel its loss until much later in the book.

A...more
Emrys
This is the first Eva Ibbotson book that I’ve read in probably ten years but I easily fell back into love with her writing style. There is something so comfortably British about it. She writes in a very narrative way, rather than in a manner that makes you feel like you are getting the story from the perspective of any one or two characters. You kind of get to see everything and everyone, and make your own choices. This omniscient style particularly lends itself to usefulness in this book.
This i...more
Uci
Eva Ibbotson adalah salah satu penulis cerita anak favorit saya karena imajinasinya yang menakjubkan. Ibbotson tidak ragu menampilkan tokoh-tokoh 'aneh' yang tidak biasa. Mungkin dalam hal ini mirip-mirip Roald Dahl.

Beberapa gambaran yang dibuat Ibbotson dalam buku ini kerap membuat saya tertawa. Misalnya tentang Frieda si penyihir tanaman yang harus selalu dipangkas karena setiap kali dia menggaruk bagian tubuhnya, tunas tanaman langsung tumbuh di situ. Dan favorit saya adalah balon terbang ci...more
Asriani
Seperti satu kalimat dalam lirik sebuah lagu lamayang menuliskan kalimat Tak Selamanya Mendung Itu Kelabu, seperti itu pulalah dunia penyihir yang disajikan oleh Eva Ibbotson di setiap bukunya. Dunia penyihir tidak selamanya gelap. Tidak semua penyhir memiliki tampang seram dagu runcing dan kumpulan kutil yang menjijikan yang bisa membuat seseorang berubah jadi kodok ataupun hal hal kejam lainnya. Walaupun tetap dengan mantera dan sihirnya, Eva mencoba memberitahu dunia masih ada penyihir yang b...more
Namratha
Hectate Tenbury-Smith 'Heckie' is not just a witch. She’s a good witch…a witch who betters the world by transforming wicked people into harmless animals. Straight out of WAW(witches against wickedness) school, she’s hopes to make the world a better place accompanied by her best friend Dora Mayberry (who incidentally can turn anything into stone). However an ugly spat makes the two witches part ways and head off in opposite directions.

With her good intentions still intact, Heckie settles down in...more
Donna
This short novel was a lovely, quick read about a young animal witch named Heckie. She moves to a new village and soon begins a quest to do Good by turning evil people into animals. After they turn into animals she takes care of them and usually gives them to the local zoo, because that animal is no longer an evil being, it's just an animal. Then, Heckie's animal-creating skills come to the attention of a slimy villain, and it's up to her young friends, Daniel and Sumi, to save the day.

I absolut...more
Eleanor
Once again a fantastic read read, I'm reading through these so fast. They are really quick easy read while managing to be quirky and odd at the same time.
HarryPotter Rocks
I thought that this book, was a good book, with an interesting twist. I also thought that the book had an interesting storyline.
Lars
En trevlig bok som jag läste som kvällssaga för mina barn som är 11, 9 och 7. Alla tyckte den var bra, men det är inte hennes bästa! Läs hellre Den stora spökräddningen eller Mysteriet på perrong 13.
Sandie
I thought this was a pretty cute book, not my favorite but still very cute.

As always, I enjoy the magical aspect of the book. I like that the witches are good and trying to help the world though in a very extreme, nearly backfires on them kind of way.

I think the writer shows great character with the witches at the end. They both loved someone very much and both were betrayed. When they found this person in a vulnerable position they could have cast a horrible spell and yet they didn't. They wa...more
Theresa Milstein
Cute book. Two witch friends choose the same hat for graduation from witch school. Both insulted, they go their separate ways. The witch Hecki befriends Daniel and Suna. She has them help her turn bad guys into animals. One man betrays Hecki and her former best friend, Dora.

It's got twists and turns. But all the different points of view in a small book kept it from having much depth from each character.

I love the way she writes, quirky and British. Reminds me of Roald Dahl. My 8-year-old daugh...more
Lisa
Great book, but really sad! I would really recommend this to any of my girl friends because it is much about love and marriage and I learned that girls appreciate that more often than boys. At the same time it is also about friendship and animals. I just loved this book and it tought me a lot about forgetting and moving on. But one thing that disturbed me was that the evil guys nickname is Li-Li, and that is what some of my friends call me...
Julie
I'm a bit sensitive to violence, and my only real complaint about this book is that it tends to talk about violent things casually. Not that there is exactly a lot of violence, it just makes reference to bad things that happen because the main witch tries to Do Good by ridding the world of evil people. Interesting concept, mildly engaging story. So it was okay, but I won't be running to the library to borrow a bunch more of her books.
Varsha Seshan
Another charming book.
Even though my favourite Ibbotson remains Journey to the River Sea, this one is definitely among my witch-y favourites! Heckie and Dora won me over with their childish hearts and simple goodness. Based on the timeless idea of good and wickedness, the story goes far beyond clichés and effortlessly reaches a story that sparkles with fun!
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Heckie is a witch who can turn humans into animals. She graduates from witch school and has a falling out with her bff, Dora.

She moves to a small town to rid the world of wicked people, by turning them into animals and donating them to the zoo. She recruits local witches and children to help her with her good deeds.

Things never go a planned, and wickedness can be disguised.
Sally906
Transferred from spreadsheet
Annika Kohrt
With balloons that run on the hot air of politicians and witches with Knuckles of Power and Toes of Transformation, it was reminiscent of Terry Pratchett's Discworld, but written with the lovely simplicity of a children's books. A very tidy ending and hilarious characters.
Fabricio
What I think about this book is that is a really good book is funny sometimes and also nasty because is about witch is a really good book for me because is a child book when I read that book was so good because is so interesting to me and for others I think is a good book.
Ori
Heckie bukan sembarang penyihir, dia penyihir hewan yg berniat menjadikan dunia tempat yg lebih baik. Heckie & sahabatnya Dora,si penyihir batu, bersumpah akan bahu-membahu berbuat kebaikan dan menumpas kejahatan. Tapi pertengkaran konyol lalu memisahkan keduanya..
Brooks Jones
Delightful middle grade fantasy novel about a group of children who befriend a witch who wants to make the world better by turning wicked people into animals. Loved the way the author handled some complex situations and social ills. Recommended for fans of Roald Dahl.
katie
I really love Eva Ibbotson's books for kids (though not so much her YAs). They're hugely fun and matter of fact in the best way, and I kind of liked that this one focused on two awkward, middle-aged witches rather than on Gormless But Brave Boy # 49392818.
Tiffany
This book is written like it is for 9 or 10 year olds but then it has some upsetting stories about how animals are treated. It was more adventurous than I thought it would be but was too wierd to give a higher rating.
Anne
I bought this one a while back for my kids. I read it today because I was desperate and the library is closed for MLK. I'm not sure if it was a good book or not. Maybe the kids will like it. It was sort of cute.
Ilana Waters
Laugh-out-loud funny, with quite a few "subtle" digs that even adults will enjoy. I think my favorite part is where one villain had gigantic produce thrown at him from a hot-air balloon.
Tracey
A lovely quick read. This is for a younger reader unlike some of her others, it was quick and easy. I'm looking for books my boys can read in the next few year, I liked this one.
  • School of Wizardry (Circle of Magic # 1)
  • The Exiles in Love (The Exiles, #3)
  • Calling the Shots (Angels Unlimited, #4)
  • Ghostsitters (Araminta Spookie, #5)
  • The Firework-Maker's Daughter
  • The USA (Horrible Histories Special)
  • Än lever Emil i Lönneberga
  • Chemical Chaos (Horrible Science)
  • Clair de Lune
  • La bambina della sesta luna (La Bambina della Sesta Luna, #1)
  • Plastusiowy Pamiętnik
  • Fanget av tiden (Sagaen om Isfolket, #40)
  • The Scent of Magic (Doomspell, #2)
Eva Ibbotson (born Maria Charlotte Michelle Wiesner, 1925, Vienna, Austria) was a British novelist specializing in romance and children's fantasy. Eva Ibbotson was born in Vienna, Austria, in 1925. When Hitler came into power, Ibbotson's family moved to England. She attended Bedford College, graduating in 1945; Cambridge University from 1946-47; and the University of Durham, from which she graduat...more
More about Eva Ibbotson...
A Countess Below Stairs Which Witch? A Company of Swans The Secret of Platform 13 Journey to the River Sea