Jesus and the Lost Goddess: The Secret Teachings of the Original Christians

Jesus and the Lost Goddess: The Secret Teachings of the Original Christians

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  448 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Why Were the Teachings of the Original Christians Brutally Suppressed by the Roman Church?

? Because they portray Jesus and Mary Magdalene as mythic figures based on the Pagan Godman and Goddess
? Because they show that the gospel story is a spiritual allegory encapsulating a profound philosophy that leads to mythical enlightenment
? Because they have the power to turn the wo...more
Published October 22nd 2002 by Harmony (first published 2001)

Tim
I picked this book up on a whim at Half-Price Books. I didn't really know what I was getting into, but it ended up being a really great read.

I thought it might be an interesting perspective on feminism in early Christianity, but within the first few chapters the author lays this bomb that was the foundation for the rest of the book...Jesus was never a real person. The gospels are part of a Christian myth cycle that is a strange union of ancient Pagan mythology and Jewish mystic traditions. Thes...more
Kevin
Sep 30, 2007 Kevin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Anyone philosophically minded who isn't afraid to explore new ideas on religion and Christianity
What can I say about this book that won't be considered self incriminating by conservative Christians? Basically, this book brings back the Philosophical perceptions that I have for stories that I think is needed to evaluate truth, not only in Christianity, but in all religions. There is even an appendix on Gnostic Islam.

Wow, I won't try to summarize this book. An individual really needs to read this for themselves. From my view, it changed my outlook on life for the better. This is no small ta...more
Lyndsey
I've read part two before reading part one (the Jesus Mysteries) however, understand that the two books aim to put the Jesus story in the context of ancient (western) philosophy and the psychology of (western) mythologists without undermining the ultimate message of chritianity this book.

JATG stands on its own, and basically sets to prove the gnostic belief - if Jesus shows the way, the female principle (Magdalene) is the path.

The authors seem a bit defensive which isn't necessay for the audie...more
Apr 15, 2009 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: agnostics, seekers, and those who aren't sure the Bible should be taken literally
Recommended to Sarah by: Aaron
Well, this book basically changed my religious beliefs, so it's certainly powerful. I hadn't read a book extrapolating the Gnostic gospels before, so I can't give the book itself all the credit. Also, some of the passages are slow-going, and it's definitely one you want to annotate. But ultimately a very satisfying and well-researched interpretation of ancient texts, and full of spiritual wisdom. It confirmed and fleshed-out a lot of my spiritual inklings, and gave them a historical basis.
Charuga
This one is a thought provoking. I read the gospel of the second coming first then went back to read the background research. Much of the information resonates for me. Many of the contradictory dogma that current Christianity teaches is explained here. I have a pencil with me when I read, for making comments in the margins. : ) A definite read for those who are disillusioned with the current Christian dogma.
Michele
Though I certainly don't know if I agree 100% with what he states about who god is and what true spirituality is, what he says about the "Bible" and where it came from and why it was written, absolutely resonates as truth to me. It just makes so much sense. So, much more sense the than the confusion that I get from people trying to explain the "literalness" of the stories of the "Bible."
Mik Hamilton, D.C.
I gave them two stars for the research that went into the book. I would have given them much higher because it was well organized and written but they left no room whatsoever for the possibility that Jesus was an actual person as if they had proven it when, in fact, they did not. With the exception of that, the history was fascinating.
jcg
Textbook approach to spirituality. It talks about spiritual concepts without leading to spritual experience.

Basically, the outlook is neo-platonist, God is The Good, or the One. The authors don't take a critical approach to neo-platonism; they seem blind to the flaws and limitations of neo-platonist philosophy. While Sophia or Wisdom - and the female in general - plays an important part in Gnostic Christian thought, the authors do not make a convincing case that the feminine was the "lost goddes...more
Nancyandralphknudkin
Extends "the Jesus Mysteries" discussion. What ever happened to Christianity? How did we get the form of it we are now all dealing with? What was the real story of human thought about "Jesus" during the times he was suppossedly alive and afterwards? Why does it make a difference? This book is a wonderfully radical exploration of how the original ideas got selected, simplified, co-opted and used for purposes of governance, control and social control; while original and alternative ideas were prog...more
Steve
Fantastic book! My wife and I have wondered what went wrong with Christianity, and if it would ever be possible to read a bible that had not been changed. We knew the original story had to be good enough to change the world. This book fills in the gaps with the exposition of the gnostic basis and the subsequent literalist assimilation. And the exposition of the gnostic pagan, Jew, and Islamic cults really added some much needed history for me. This made the top ten in my book list!
Lianne
This book, along with The Jesus Mysteries and The Book of One are the three books that changed my entire worldview. So profound and thought provoking. My sense of self and my sense of Self is forever changed and I'm so glad of it! The Jesus Mysteries is like the true history of Christianity and Jesus and the Lost Goddess is like the true meaning of Christianity. I'm not a Christian (except by name) but this is a Christianity I could believe in.
kristin
Aug 28, 2008 kristin rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: those interested in the history of Christianity
This book explored the complexities of the history of Christianity and how it has become the religion it is today. I wasn't surprised to learn that the roots of Christianity are not acknowledged or even practiced my modern Christians.

If you are a lover of history (like me) or if you want to discover the roots of a dominant modern day religion, this book provides a perspective that is often overlooked and dismissed.
Mike
This book puts a Gnostic spin on the events portrayed in the New Testament as well as other early Christian literature. So repetivite, abstract, and full of conjecture that I almost gave up on it, but the premise, that Christ is a symbol of universal consciousness and that each individual is a fragment of that consciousness, was just provocative enough to get me through the tediousness.
Lisa
I liked the way this book got me thinking & wondering & questioning (& cursing). Timothy Freke knows his stuff & has a strong opinion about it. This is not for orthodox christians, you may be offended if you do not have an open mind & are not stable in your own beliefs. You think you know, & then you read this book.....
Elizabeth
I know 'Freke' is an unfortunate last name for a writer...but aside from that, this is a certain remedy for me, as I grew up within the most literal brand of Protestantism...this book got me in touch with the universality of the Jesus story and its connections with almost every ancient mystical tradition.
Chris Marchan
Thanks to Jake for getting me this book while I was in India and living in the quiet shadows of the Himalayas. What revelations in regard to the real core of Christianity!!! Makes sense the scriptures. Goes along great with "The Gnostic Gospels" and "The Gospel of Thomas".
Lelisia
I read this several years ago, and recall that it made a lasting impression upon me. It inspired me to delve ever deeper into Early Christian history and into ancient paganism. It is time for me to read it again.
Susan Janke
An excellent read. I am not certain I believe everything he says, but when it is all said and done, it doesn't really matter - there is still a lot of interesting, substantiated information here.
Sally
Tells how Gnostic Christianity and its teachings were supressed and destroyed by the dogmatic sect of Christians that grew into the Catholic Church; explains the gnostic teachings.
Jennie
Completely changed my view of Christianity, as well as religion in general. I discovered the spiritual roots of religion, as well as how dogmatic practices can distort it.
Kip

not as easy a read as the first one, and it seems like they are selling this idea like a vegetable peeler or something. which is a pity because its an interesting idea
Cicely
One of many books that filled in the question gap for me and to the ideas behind Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code.
A.L. Stumo
This book has some excellent ideas, but the argument does not convince. Logical fallacies abound.
Amy
I will have to read this again...there's a lot to take in.
Beulah
What a book! Reading it again. So much that resonates.
Jake Maguire
Jun 12, 2008 Jake Maguire rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Alia
I really got a lot out of this book. Read it twice.
Lonnie Pritzen
Excellent!!!! Revelational and well documented!
Tink
breath taking... fun... and mega wow!
Niek
Halfweg opgegeven...
  • The Lost Gospel: The Book of Q and Christian Origins
  • The Christ Conspiracy: The Greatest Story Ever Sold
  • The Gnostic Bible
  • The Dark Side of Christian History
  • The Jesus Puzzle: Did Christianity Begin with a Mythical Christ? Challenging the Existence of an Historical Jesus
  • The Lost Books of the Bible
  • The Gospel of Mary of Magdala: Jesus and the First Woman Apostle
  • The Messianic Legacy
  • Incredible Shrinking Son of Man: How Reliable Is the Gospel Tradition?
  • When Jesus Became God: The Struggle to Define Christianity during the Last Days of Rome
  • Adam, Eve, and the Serpent: Sex and Politics in Early Christianity
  • Lost Scriptures: Books that Did Not Make It into the New Testament
  • The Mythmaker: Paul and the Invention of Christianity
  • Bloodline of the Holy Grail
  • The Gospel of Thomas: The Hidden Sayings of Jesus
  • The Templar Revelation: Secret Guardians of the True Identity of Christ
  • The Gospel of Mary Magdalene
  • The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts
Timothy Freke has an honors degree in philosophy and is the author of more than twenty books on world spirituality. He lectures and runs experiential seminars throughout the world exploring gnosis. For information, see timothyfreke.com. Both Freke and Gandy live in England and are the authors of five previous books, including The Jesus Mysteries and Jesus and the Lost Goddess.
More about Timothy Freke...
The Jesus Mysteries: Was the "Original Jesus" a Pagan God? The Laughing Jesus: Religious Lies and Gnostic Wisdom The Hermetica Lucid Living: A Book You Can Read in an Hour That Will Turn Your World Inside Out The Gospel of the Second Coming