The Luckiest Girl in the World

The Luckiest Girl in the World

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  718 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Katie Roskova appears to be the luckiest girl in the world, but inwardly she suffers. Unable to express her feelings outwardly, Katie begins to secretly wound herself, but as the pressures mount, her self-inflicted wounds become more serious, and she can no longer hide them from others.
Published March 1st 1997 by Scribner Book Company (first published 1997)

Jesika
Kayla
Mr. Levenkron really pushes his ideas about self-mutilation. According to him, there are two infallable truths: 1) If you cut, it's your parent's fault. 2) he is the best and most amazing therapist to ever grace the earth.
stephanie
he tries to do for self-injury what he did with anorexia. the problem is that his character is a little too much of a trope, of the "ideal" self-injurer" - in a way, there is no difference between this girl and the girl with anorexia.

still, it does say that even people with supposed "perfect" lives have bad shit going on - and that they deal with it in different ways. this is vitally important, i think, for the audience he is writing for. still, it seemed too cliched and obvious - but then agai...more
Katie
What do you do when you can't talk to your mother, you don't have time for friends, and there isn't an outlet for your emotions? The Luckiest Girl in the World shows how one young girl felt the only way to heal herself was to harm herself. For many girls (and some guys) self-harm is a very real, very vivid part of their lives. I read this book as a teenager fighting my own battle with learning how to use words instead of razors to heal my pain. The book is extremely well-written by one of the pi...more
April
Like The Best Little Girl in the World (Levenkron's book about anorexia nervosa), this book holds pretty much true to his form of copying down the stereotype of who self injures and leaving it at that. If a totally uninformed person read this book without any prior knowledge about self injury, s/he would believe that a self injurer would always be white, privileged, young, an overachiever, and female. This is not the case - anyone can self injure.

As a psychotherapist, I would expect Levenkron to...more
Ashlee Tidwell
This was the second time I read this book and turns out I didn't remember much about it from the first time. The book does a really great job of depicting such a serious topic in an understandable way. The coping mechanism of cutting isn't really understood by a lot of teenagers and even more so by adults. This book does a great job of explaining why people have the urge through the eyes of the one hurting (Katie). Although it explains cutting throughout Katie's life, it also does a wonderful jo...more
Kaity Smith
Steven Levenkron's novel, The Luckiest Girl in the World, brings light to a touchy subject, self mutilation. In this astounding novel, Katie Roskova is a figure skating star. She seems to be the perfect child, athlete, and "school star" (Levenkron 107); however, she has a secret. Katie is "The Skater Who Was Different" (Levenkron 26). When life becomes too much and she "experiences emotions she can't handle" (Lebenkron 140), and she finds relief in cutting herself. Katie finds herself longing fo...more
allison
akljdflkasjdf
amazing book.
i wish it could have been longer.
it only took me one afternoon to read it.
but i bought it, so it was fantastic :D

it really feels like the author puts a connection between the reader and the character.

read it.
Eileen Granfors
Steven Levenkron is the author of the previous hit, "The Best Little Girl in the World," which brought anorexia to wider public attention.

In this volume, "The Luckiest Girl in the World," we meet Katie, an aspiring figure skater. She is a perfectionist. Her mother is a perfectionist. She shows the world a bright smile and an organized notebook and a nearly perfect grade-point average.

But inside, she is falling apart. Quite by chance, she discovers that cutting herself changes the way she feels e...more
Joanne♥~Bookworm Extraordinaire
So I decided to re-read this book again. I just gotta say that I loved it as much as I did the first time. This book deals with a hard issue that some teens face which is self-mutilation or cutting.

The story is about a 15 year old girl names Katie. Katie is a figure skater and in the opening of the book she is training for her junior competition. Her goal is to be a Olympic skater. Naturally she has a lot of pressure to do well. Her mother is very pushy about her skating and is a classic crazy "...more
Seriously? There are a myriad of reasons why people self injure, and having too perfect of a life is one I haven't really run into. This book makes it all a little too neat and simple. Another thing (and I could be remembering this incorrectly) is that he does not bring brain chemistry into this book. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong since I am going off a several year old memory. I remembered feeling outraged by this book. Not only is brain chemistry an element (in illnesses such as...more
Petra X
For the first third of this book, I was thinking to myself that it was written for concerned parents and teachers to give to girls who were cutting themselves. I didn't cut myself as a teenager (I did other stuff) but if I'd been given this book, I would have thought it was ultra-patronising and dumbed down so you wouldn't miss the point. I nearly put it down at this stage, but not having anything else light in the house to read over lunch I perservered, and I am so glad I did.

The author really...more
Bethany
Self-mutilation and cutting have become two of the most prevalent psychological disorders among teenage girls. Steven Levenkron is a well-known psychotherapist in New York City who specializes in treating self-mutilators along with those who suffer from OCD and eating disorders. The Luckiest Girl in the World is a fictitious treatment of a self-mutilator; Levenkron clearly knows what he is talking about, and writes about this illness tenderly without condoning it.

This novel reads like an elongat...more
Nicole
ok, not much i can say about such an amazing book!
ITs amazing
And really, really well writen
I absolutly fell in love with this book from the frist page.
its so relateable for me and my issues with self harm, I found it comfurting that some one with no experiance with self harm acually did his research, and acually explaiend in the caracters why people self harm, insted of making his own assumptions about it.

It was just s...more
Michelle
May 22, 2008 Michelle rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: self-injurers of all types
Shelves: young-adult
This book is about self-injury, particularly cutting. While I felt that the book portrays self-injury in a realistic light, particularly how someone starts it and hides it over time, the book is pretty predictable and a fast read. If anything it gives hope to those who are self-injurers and lets them know they are not alone.
Truth be told, any book written for a teen psychological disorder, whether it be anorexia or self injury, is essentially going to sound trite in the end. However, despite th...more
Melissa
I liked this book, but the character who best came to life for me was Sandy Sherman, which is no small surprise. It's as if the writer -- guess what? A psychiatrist specializing in issues such as Katie's -- just reinvented himself on the pages -- and as a hero at that. I know they say to 'write about what you know,' but it was almost too much straight from the notes of the doctor.

Still, the story kept me reading, and I finished the book in less that 24 hours. The mother -- simply horrific. But...more
Elizabeth Salais
24gt5c2cv5ryh64y5thrg42cetrfub76vhy4gtrf
Michelle
A book guaranteed to appeal to young adult readers who like Lurlene McDaniel. Written from several points of view, this story about an ice skater who is also a "cutter" reveals something about a problem facing an increasing number of teens. The problem is handled tactfully, and does not even allude to the common perception of cutters as out for attention. The book reflects its publication date of 1997: one of the therapists works in a private school and has no experience with this problem. Overa...more
Kristy
Initially, I was hesitant to read this book because... hm, I'm not sure. But, you know, today I picked it up and I read it and I am really quite happy I did. I think Steven Levenkron does an amazing job of capturing what life is like for the Katies of the world, from what it feels like physically to how it hurts emotionally and just what it does. His descriptions are vivid and enlightening. It's an accessible read for young adult readers and he manages to make some sense out of what doesn't, wel...more
Lisa Vegan
I would have loved this book as a young adult. As an adult it felt formulaic and clichéd. I was bothered by the break in confidentiality exhibited by the therapist (and this is written by a therapist) even though it was a mild infraction, and I know that for some young people reading it could act as a trigger to engage in cutting or other similar behavior. However, it was an interesting story and had some valuable material. I liked it even though I didn’t really like it and I wish I’d enjoyed it...more
Kricket
Levenkron calls this a "novelized case study" but it's more of a novelized stereotype. He would have done better to create a unique character with a bit more reality to her than Katie. And look at the subtitle: "A Young Skater Battles Her Self-Destructive Impulses"-- sounds like a good time, doesn't it? Ech. Still, I'm glad there's literature on this subject...but maybe Levenkron needs a writing buddy or something.
Ashley
I felt this book gave a good insight into some of the reasons why a person feels the need to self harm. It wasn't over the top or overly dramatic when it came to the main characters personal life and the issues she was dealing with. I started reading this book and could not put it down. Great read and would recommend it to anyone who is dealing with this issue.
This book isn't bad, but it focuses too much on a stereotype to be completely accurate. Though the writing style isn't spectacular, it makes for an alright quick read. I read it once before and felt the same way. As a recovering self mutilator myself, I can relate to numerous parts of Katie's struggle with cutting.
Kelly
A good book about cutting. I have had to replace this book twice in the past 2 years. It's not as popular as other books on the topic, and I'm not sure why because it is written very well. I do know that a few girls who picked it up to read chose not to because of the ice skating (they said they don't ice skate).
Kim
I think of all the YA cutting books I've read, this one is the best written. Some kids find the skating theme to be overdone or to take away from why they were reading the story, however. Still, I like it far better than Cut, which kids read far more often.
Kate
Once again, Steven Levenkron takes the mental illness du jour and writes a novel about it. It was interesting to learn the causes of cutting, but after reading his The Best Little Girl in the World, it felt like a formula.
Daniela Villa
So far...I am amazed at how one little error can mess up your whole life! I believe that the girl has a serious disorder that is hard to let go of! I am almost done and plan on finishing it by the end of this week!
Buffheart
Better than The Best Little Girl in the world but the writing still isn't that great and it is very stereotypical. I am very glad there are books on this subject, but I think it's time Steven retire from writing novels.
DW
Dec 26, 2010 DW rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adolescent girls and everyone else
Gave me an intense insight into the world of "cutting". I feel like I really "know" the struggle this girl went through, the pain of keeping it a secret, and the stresses that precipitated it to start.
Jesse Blazewicz
This book really hit home to me. The author did a fair job of portraying self harm. This book tells cutters that they aren't alone, and tells non-cutters what it feels like to be in that situation.
books like this 1 4 Jun 09, 2011 04:00PM
  • Perfect: Anorexia & Me
  • Skin Game
  • Bloodletting: A Memoir of Secrets, Self-Harm, and Survival
  • Life-Size
  • Cutters Don't Cry (SoCal, #1)
  • Insatiable: The Compelling Story of Four Teens, Food and Its Power
  • After the Strawberry
  • Purpose for the Pain
The Best Little Girl in the World Cutting: Understanding and Overcoming Self-Mutilation Kessa Anatomy of Anorexia Stolen Tomorrows: Understanding and Treating Women's Childhood Sexual Abuse