Time to Say "Please"!

Time to Say "Please"!

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  620 ratings  ·  62 reviews
As a companion book to the popular Time to Pee!, Mo Willems has created a book on manners in his own signature style. Groups of ebullient mice narrate this humorous text as young children try in vain to get what they want, learning along the way that it is helpful to say "Please," "Thank you," "Excuse me," and "I'm sorry." Oh, and you have to mean it, too.
Published June 8th 2005 by Disney-Hyperion (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Time to Say "Please"!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time to Say "Please"!

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsThe Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog! by Mo WillemsThe Pigeon Wants a Puppy! by Mo WillemsDon't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! by Mo WillemsThere is a Bird on Your Head! by Mo Willems
Best Mo Willems Books
19th out of 24 books — 29 voters
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. LewisThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisFlowers for Algernon by Daniel KeyesOf Mice and Men by John SteinbeckPrince Caspian by C.S. Lewis
Books featuring mice and rats
61st out of 65 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Ronyell
Time

Now, I am a huge fan of practically everything that Mo Willems has written since his books are so full of witty humor and creative ideas! So, imagine my surprise when I found out that Mo Willems has written a children’s book that teaches children manners which is called “Time to Say “Please”!

Basically, this book starts off with a young girl trying to get a cookie, but some cute little mice start holding up signs that tell the little girl about how saying “please” to an adult can really help yo...more
Kathryn
Oh, darn. I really like Mo Willems' stuff and he seems like an incredibly thoughtful and sensitive author-artist for children but this book just falls flat in my estimation. It's boring--didactic without all the charm and pizazz of his other works. It's just a series of children wanting something, and being told that saying "Please" will not only be polite but more likely to earn them success in their plea. Sure, there are a few cute Willems elements, like a rubber duck that looks a bit like Pig...more
Cheryl in CC NV
In my library this was hidden in nonfiction - and I think appropriately because it was a bit didactic. But at the same time it was clearly of Willems' style, and that means it was creative and funny - and recommended.
midnightfaerie
Not one of my favorite Willems, although he's one of my favorite author's of children's books. Written like an overdone cartoon, the mice are meant to add some fun distraction but there are too many to not find at least mildly disturbing. A great concept, learning when and how to say please, but no real reading value or other educational value besides that. Still, my preschoolers found it interesting.
Dolly
Feb 28, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
This is a cute story by Mo Willems. His cartoon characters are lovable and are easy for our girls to relate to. This story encourages the use of manners, a little bit too obviously, but it's still a fun book.
Amy
Willems, M. (2005). Time to Say “Please”! Hyperion Books for Children.
Picture Book Soak
This book uses humor to teach children about manners - the importance of saying please when you want something, and reminders to say “thank you” and “ ‘sorry’ is useful. (But you have to mean it!)” Illustrations are classic Mo Willems cartoon style drawings, with lots of entertaining mice scattered throughout, including on the endpapers, which add interest to the illustrations. I thought this one wasn’t quite...more
Snorkle
Initial thoughts after reading (found in a notebook): Pretty cool, me and Mo think a lot alike.
Inspired Kathy
A book about manners: saying please, sorry, excuse, & thank you.
Rachel
"Please" takes the stage in this kind reminder to use that ever important word. As the narrator relates its uses, the little mice act as a conscience, encouraging the boys and girls to do the right thing. Even while carrying signs, they get up to some silly antics, adding a lighthearted tone rather than one of someone preaching. For this reason, children will find this enjoyable and may learn the appropriate way to get that much desired cookie from the jar.
Brady Pullman
Obvious theme is using your manners. I'd use this book on the first day of school or in the first week. I could also talk about how we react when we don't get what we want.
Sarah Adamson
Gorgeous book on manners. Few words are used but the pictures speak volumes. How and when to say please and thank you and excuse me.
Margaux
I'd definitely use this as a way to teach manners to young children.
Charlotte
Library book - this is Charlotte's current favorite book. I read it three times back to back this morning, and then her auntie read it five times back to back this afternoon. I'm not sure what it is about the book that Charlotte likes so much. It's a book about manners - really rudimentary stuff. Not preachy or overly sweet, kind of matter-of-fact. "If you want something, really really want something, don't just grab it. Go find a big person and say please," is pretty much the message here. Than...more
Cheyenne
Good manners book for young children.
Jennifer Rampton
Title: Time to Say Please
Bibliographic Reference: Willems, M (2005). Time to say please. New York, NY: Hyperion Book for children.
Illustrator: Mo Williems
Summary: This book is an introduction to good manners. It teaches please, excuse me, sorry and thank you. It has basic pictures and simple words that the students can start learning about when is the right time to say please, thank you, sorry or excuse me. I would use this book to show and talk to them about manners and when to use them.
Apr 09, 2012 Laura added it
Shelves: edsl-520
Willems, Mo. Time to Say "Please"! (2005)

Annotation: a Child wants a cookie so little mice around him tell him to say please instead of just grabbing it himself. They also tell him other reasons for saying please, excuse me and thank- you.

Themes: manners, getting what you want

Ways to use with children: You could use this books to talk about having and using good manners. You could come up with a list of other ways to have good manners.

Recommended ages: 2- 8
Veronica
Apr 29, 2013 Veronica added it
Shelves: manners
I'm working on creating a booklist for my local public library. This book was one in consideration for this list.

This will be on my list. It is completely perfect in every way. It's interesting, catchy illustrations, and directly presents manners of "please," "excuse me," and "thank you." Totally perfect for my exercise, and classic Mo Willems. Easy to read and understand the text, with a fun layout.
Sabrina Henry
This is a simple about saying , "Please". It has very simple pictures and simple words to use to help children learn some social skills: like saying plaese and thnak you.
The vocabulary is simple. O like the illustrations of th eword, 'please' presented in various sizes, shapes,and colors.The repetition of the word 'please' can aid in children's comprehension and use of the word.
Paul
I like Willems' all-over-the-place visual style, Trixie, all the text that appears on placards, parachutes, marquees, balloons, banners, signs, a blackboard, flags, a ship sail, and more, and all the mice who overpopulate this volume. My one complaint is that there just isn't enough of a story line to make this as satisfying as Willems' other books.
Sheniece
This would be a fun book to read to Pre-K students to introduce the meaning and use of the word “please.” Children at the Pre-K level are very egocentric and don't know the appropriate way to ask for things. Reading this will be a good approach to teaching and modeling social behaviors and words to use such as please, excuse me, thank you etc.
Lisa
A cute little book that helps teach children manners - more particularly, the importance of saying please. Mo Willems has wonderful illustrations as always, and the quirkiness of the mice who teach the children by holding up silly signs on each page, was what made the book great :). My kids loved it.
Carolyn
As usual, Willems' book is as much about the pictures as it is about the words. This is a fun book that gently teaches the importance of a few well-mannered phrases, while using a lot of humor in the drawings. Children will want to look at the mice very carefully, all the way to the end pages.
Kelly Thevenot
Time to Say "Please"! is a wonderful book by one of my favorite children's authors, Mo Williams. He write the pigeon books and they are hilarious! This book discusses manners and when to use please and thank you. I could use this book when teaching young student's about manners.
Mereke
My 2 year old daughter has actually caught on to saying "please" with a *smile* as a result of us reading this book - she thinks it's funny and likes to repeat the text out loud herself and now often says please around the house (though usually when prompted).
Andria
This one is okay but not great, seems like a sermon hidden in a children's book. The best thing about it is that it has characters hidden in it from other books. I do use it to show the kids that he has other books out there with a different style.
Anna
I know that I'm on the Mo Willems bandwagon right now but this book is absolutely fantastic. I know a few pre-teens that should read this book. However, I'll settle for my son learning to say please in a method aside from me him asking, "what do you say?".
Ubalstecha
This book from Mo Willems hopes to teach children about saying please when they want something. The book is cute but it does not live up to Willems other work. This would be a good read aloud with kids to help start a conversation about manners.
mlb
A delightfully illustrated book in which some well-mannered mice teach the reader how to get what they want from "big people." The text is written onto signs, banners, and balloons that the mice display cleverly.
Laura Jones
I thought this book was fantastic. Reading the book allows readers to understand when to say "Please" This would be great to read as a teacher because it is a fun and exciting way to learn when to say please.
Dan
Time to Say "Please!" by Mo Willems is a great book to share with young students. The benefits of saying "please," "thank you," and "excuse me" become apparent through Willems's clever use of humor.
  • Dinosaur vs. the Library
  • Green Wilma
  • I'm Bad!
  • Wolf Won't Bite!
  • Happy Hippo, Angry Duck
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • Bounce
  • Ten Tiny Tickles
  • Ollie
  • Fletcher and the Falling Leaves
  • I'm Not Cute!
  • The EARTH Book
  • The Mine-O-Saur
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r...more
More about Mo Willems...
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!