Start by marking “Holly: The True Story of a Cat” as Want to Read:
Holly: The True Story of a Cat

Holly: The True Story of a Cat

From a popular author/illustrator, the enchanting story of holly the cat -- ideal for Christmas and all year long.

She was just a tiny kitten and she was abandoned. Someone found her and gave her to us. Because it was nearly Christmas, we called her Holly.

Holly is an abandoned kitten adopted at Christmastime. Shy at first, she slowly gains more and more confidence in her n
Published November 1st 2000 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Holly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holly

Sep 18, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Another amazing Ruth Brown book that both I and my children both loved. The illustrations were once again smart and beautiful. My 5 yr old loves these stories, and my 3 yr old twins along with me, just love the pictures. This one was a true story about Brown's cat, and I believe a self portrait toward the end as she talked about Holly, her cat keeping her company while she worked. Another delightful edition to the Ruth Brown collection.
The illustrations are absolutely darling (the cover art doesn't do the book justice) and the story is a sweet one about a cat who is given a loving home for Christmas. The Christmas scene is very brief and most of the story is about Holly growing up and becoming a mommy cat herself, so this could really be read at any time of the year.
Edward Creter
Holly is a stay-at-home cat named for a Christmas wreath, though not to be confused with the fictional wife in a Christmas themed action film called Die Hard which has terrorists for some reason (Holly-Wood feels tis the season for machine guns, I guess) but there is nothing terrorizing about this kitty cat. She simply loves Christmas and her family. We as humans should take a cue from Holly. She's lit'rally a bushel of love for the holiday season!
May 18, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. Maybe because we tend to be the home for stray/abandoned kittens. Maybe because the illustrations are so sweet and perfect (purrfect) I want to pet the fuzzy kitten head. Maybe because of both of those reasons.
Sq.Hill Library
Apr 13, 2008 Sq.Hill Library rated it it was amazing
Shelves: claire
The illustrations in this loving little book are so adorable they make the tiny kitten leap off the page. A great and touching Christmas story, sure to make any young pet lover be pleased that the kitten Holly finds a home after a sad abandonment. Touching and sweet, with beautiful watercolor portraits, and a sense of humor.
Nov 16, 2012 Bree rated it it was amazing
Shelves: preschool-books, cats
such life-like illustrations
short story for ages 3+
abandoned cat finds a home and raises kittens
the kids love this one
Jenn added it
Oct 11, 2016
debbie~cr8zycat~ marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Kristen Jaques
Kristen Jaques rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
stmichele rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2016
Amy rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Paul Horkan
Paul Horkan rated it liked it
May 06, 2016
Sadie added it
Feb 13, 2016
Tamela marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Brianna rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Elanor added it
Dec 15, 2015
Dylan & Devon Tandoc
Dylan & Devon Tandoc rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Jim rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2015
Rachel added it
Jul 02, 2015
Alison rated it really liked it
May 29, 2015
Stephanie rated it really liked it
May 02, 2015
Sour Apple
Sour Apple marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Andrea Labonte
Andrea Labonte rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2015
Briony rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Pinar rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Ruth Brown is the creator of some of Britain's best loved children's books. She has created a great many picture books for Andersen Press and is highly respected as an author and illustrator. She is married to artist Ken Brown and they have two grown-up sons and one grandchild.
More about Ruth Brown...