Creepy Susie and 13 Other Tragic Tales for Troubled Children

Creepy Susie and 13 Other Tragic Tales for Troubled Children

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  1,051 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Creepy Susie. Mary Had a Little Chainsaw. Milo's Disorder. Rosie's Crazy Mother. The Siamese Quadruplets. Emily Amputee.
Your mother never told you these stories.
She didn't want to scare you.
But Angus Oblong is not your mother.
If Edgar Allan Poe and David Lynch wrote a book, it might be as warped, wicked, and perversely funny as this treasury of twisted tales from child...more
Published September 28th 2004 by Ballantine Books (first published 1999)

Be the first to ask a question about Creepy Susie and 13 Other Tragic Tales for Troubled Children

Go the Fuck to Sleep by Adam MansbachAll My Friends Are Dead by Avery MonsenThe Gashlycrumb Tinies by Edward GoreyThe Halfwit Knight by Najeev Raj NadarajahChoose Them Wisely by Najeev Raj Nadarajah
Childrens Books: not safe for kids!
10th out of 30 books — 62 voters
The God Eaters by Jesse HajicekEl Conde De Montecristo by Alexandre DumasThe Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories by Tim BurtonThe Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniA Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick
Books I Wish I Wrote
57th out of 58 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Robert Beveridge
Angus Oblong, Creepy Susie and Thirteen Other Tragic Tales for Troubled Children (Ballantine, 1999)

First off, don't let the title of this little twisted gem fool you; Angus Oblong (who, according to the “About the Author” bit, does actually illustrate childrens' books as well) did not mean this book for kids. In any way, shape, or form. To give you an illustration of why, one of the funniest panels here is of a human hand offering a biscuit to a dog, who's thinking to himself, “fuck you.” (Note...more
Peggy
Are you taken with the twisted tales of Edward Gorey? Do you delight in the off-kilter visions of Tim Burton? Well my brothers & sisters, have I got a book for you. Run, don't walk, to the nearest bookstore and pick up a copy of Creepy Susie and 13 Other Tragic Tales for Troubled Children. Between these shiny pink covers lies a whole world of naughty happiness. Read them and perhaps you, too, will ponder these questions: Where have you been all my life, Angus Oblong? Why have I not experienc...more
Noura
one of the greatest things that I have ever read. so messed up.
Jessica
This is a rewrite of a review I'd posted on my old book blog back in 2007/2008.

When I was in high school, my art loving best friend brought me this book and insisted I'd give it a read. I remember looking at the time and skimming through it with an expression that could never be explained and was probably quite comical.

Yes, my initial thought was "why is she giving me this"? and "this looks so weird, how am I ever going to read it?" -- but I read it anyways. Because, why not? I like to give bo...more
Amanda
I met Angus Oblong at Planet Comicon in Kansas City this past weekend, and I'm glad I stopped by his booth and picked up this book. I love the Oblongs and these stories are short but twisted enough to completely appeal to my sense of humor and entertainment.

Don't let title fool you, these aren't for young children.

Love this book!
Jessica
Definitely not for children. It's offbeat and funny, but more in an offensive South Park way than a sophisticated Edward Gorey way. I got a kick out of it. It's mostly drawings with a sentence or two per pages, so it can be read in about an hour (or less).
Ryan
Holy shit this book is so funny!
Whitney
Bought this book from Angus Oblong himself (in full clown make-up no less) at Planet Comic Con in Kansas City. As a fan of the animated adult show "The Oblongs" (which was based loosely on characters from this book) it was definitely a highlight of my super nerdy weekend! Especially when he called me stupid for dropping an expensive hardbound art book I had just purchased. Doh! As he was drawing Pickles Oblong on the title page, he wistfully looked up when he got to her martini glass and proclai...more
Keisha Keenleyside
What to say about Creepy Susie.... Well its certainly a good book for cheering you up thats for sure.

When this book arrived i was thinking it would be a book of short warped stories so i was rather surprised to find it like a comic in the way it was told with illustrations and little quirky sentences.

Much like the Bunny Suicide books, the illustrations themselves were relatively simple and fit well with the short text that went with them. My favorite out of the bunch would be the sibling rivalr...more
Ming
While the art style was amusing and while I enjoyed the story, "Scottie the Narcoleptic", the book overall fell short of my expectations as it did not make me laugh much...
Beau Johnston
A disgraceful collection of twisted and disturbing stories. I have read it many times and still get a good laugh out of it.
Brandin
I acquired my signed copy of this book when I met the author at Chicago ComicCon 2011. He was a great guy. He smiled, he was happy to meet fans. He'd sign anything you wanted him to for free, even if you brought in your own copy. It was so great to meet him in person as I am a huge fan of The Oblongs show.
That said, this is one messed up book. It's brilliant in its horrid treatment of its characters. There is a bit of disgusting, violent content here, but it's hilarious, so that's okay. If you l...more
sara ahmed
incredibly shocking in all the right ways.
Eva Eva
Me gustan las ilustraciones. Y, aunque algunas de las historias se basan en tópicos, las hay muy divertidas.
Noor
HAHAHAHAHA
Don't be a Debbie!
Krista Ashe
anne_rb
Creepy? Gross and disgusting fit much better!

Lo siento Angus pero me has pillado de mal humor. Si fuese otro día quizás te hubiese dado un "Ok" (2) por la historia de la siniestra Susie y alguna otra, que extrañamente poseían algo de sentido, trama o bueno ya que estamos, humor. El resto, 85%, una basura absurda, sin sentido ni p. gracia.
Kimmie
This book was apparently perfect for me because I have recently been informed that I am "dark and twisty" inside. It is no way a children's book- but formatted like one. I did not like it as much as "I can be anything"- another book that is a chidlrens book, not for children.

The illustrations are hilarious and cover all taboo topics.
L
I thought I was going to love this. I adore Tim Burton and darkly funny usually just cracks me right up. But this was different. Somehow it just fell totally flat for me. It was more just weird and gross than creepy or funny for me. I will say that the Dick and Muffy story was pretty wonderful though! That's why I gave two stars, not one.
Alice
Jan 16, 2008 Alice rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people less negative than me
i read this book in the heart of my goth youth, and DID NOT like it. not a big fan of books that have to beat you over the head with how adorably disturbing they are. just blah.

when i want to read something cartoony and unfailingly funny and creepy, i always go to the master - edward gorey.
Jack Thornsberry
If you are really twisted, enjoy seemingly normal stories that end with people dying, and hated the in-crowd in high school then please please read this book. This is not a kids book so do not mistake it for that. Enjoy!!
William
I found this mildly humorous in a sick demented kind of way. My favorite was about the Siamese twins. Hardly worth the money for how short it was. It consists mostly of cartoon drawings with only a few words on each page.
melody mooney
This is a very twisted little book I bought it from the writer / artist @ a Convention and he drew his own version of 'Princess Leia' and signed it's inner cover. His animated show 'The Oblongs' was popular a few years a go.
Alex
while it's written like a child's one-sentence-per-page picture book, making it a VERY quick read (maybe 20 minutes), it's definitely not a children's book. perfect for anyone with a dark and twisted sense of humor.
Tammy
Warped & perversely funny does describe it. Some of the stories are funnier than others. Some more warped. Entertaining but I think I like the subtlety of Patrick Rothfuss' "not for kids" book far better.
Amy
Okay, so I actually loved this book. Some of my friends couldn't stand it - or if they did simply just liked it. But, it's one that I'll keep on the shelf when I want some sick & twisted bemusement.
Jamie Outlaw
Great for a laugh if you have a bit of a twisted sense of humor. It's not for everyone, but what book is? I bought this several years ago and pick it up from time to time, when I want a good laugh.
Heather Beztilny
This book is NOT for kids and was a little twisted even for me. I liked some of the stories, and love the cartoon, but some of the stories went over the line. However, I did name my son Milo.....
  • Gris Grimly's Wicked Nursery Rhymes
  • The Monsters in my Tummy
  • The Twelve Terrors of Christmas
  • Once Upon a Time (Nightmares & Fairy Tales, #1)
  • Death, Jr.
  • Elephant House: Photographs of Edward Gorey's House
  • Pat the Zombie: A Cruel (Adult) Spoof
  • Punk Land
  • I Hate Everything
Creepy Susie: And 13 Other Tragic Tales for Troubled Children Galaxyfest 2012 Omnibus