Start by marking “Seven Soldiers of Victory, Volume 3” as Want to Read:
Seven Soldiers of Victory, Volume 3

Seven Soldiers of Victory, Volume 3 (Seven Soldiers of Victory #3)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  1,383 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The brilliant mind of Grant Morrison (JLA, New X-Men) is showcased once again as his most groundbreaking and ambitious project yet continues! Independently, each of these characters is featured in a story arc of their own that redefines their purpose in the DCU. But their stories also interweave with the other Soldiers' tales, telling a grander story of a devastating globa ...more
Paperback, Trade, 176 pages
Published May 1st 2006 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Seven Soldiers of Victory, Volume 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Soldiers of Victory, Volume 3

Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
The fact that it took me so long to get through this is an indication I didn't like it as much as the previous two. It was still entertaining. It appears Klarion's and Zatanna's stories have wrapped up. Seeing as they were my two favorites, I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I'm just not that interested in Mister Miracle. Meh. It's probably just me.

Bulleteer seems intriguing. We get her origin story and how she becomes a (sort of reluctant) superhero. She has an air of melancholy around her that
Jeremiah
Oct 10, 2016 Jeremiah rated it really liked it
Bulleteer <3
Austin
Feb 22, 2008 Austin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Drug-Abusing Metatext Fans
Recommended to Austin by: Douglas Wolk
The four trade volumes that make up this story were originally put out as a 30 issue series, and in reprinting them the story is presented chronologically, in the order that it's suggested you should read them. But the brilliant thing about Seven Soldiers - and, to an extent, comics in general - is that you don't have to read them that way, and in fact, the series invites you to read the books in almost any order you'd like.

To elaborate: there are 7, four-issue stories that all interlock, and a
Lloyd
Alright...

Finally, this series comes with a volume that I can really say that I at least liked with no reservations.

Mister Miracle's story develops here with a reality vs. perception motif that I can always get behind. Grant Morrison did enough with the character here to make me want to read New Gods. (No, I'm not converting to a new religion. Jack Kirby's New Gods from the 1970's were the first team that Mister Miracle was a part of.)

The Bulleteer story explores sexual fantasy in a way that un
Joe Sergi
Apr 03, 2012 Joe Sergi rated it liked it
I have to say I'm usually not smart enough to read Grant Morrison. This series started out linear enough and was actually quite fun.

But, I have absolutely no idea how it ended--I wasn't smart enough and quite frankly, my personal view, is that a mainstream comic book shouldn't require that much work. (that's not saying that I don't like books where each time you read it, you appreciate it more (like Watchman) but my personal feeling is that you should also enjoy the first reading.)

This was orig
Printable Tire
Jan 27, 2011 Printable Tire rated it liked it
This collection certainly spared the best for first... with the exception of a good Klarion storyline, and the adamantly creepy origin of the Buleteer, this part isn't nearly as interesting or entertaining as the earlier parts... Frankenstein, despite having the best artwork, in particular is far too involved in the overall story arch to feel a real character and comes off more as a Dues Ex Machina... the Miracle Man stories, however, are the worst. The art is horrible and the storyline incompre ...more
Sam Quixote
Apr 17, 2012 Sam Quixote rated it really liked it
Klarion finds trying to warn his people of impending doom is a Chicken Little problem; Zatanna goes very spacey while battling the evil magician Zor and finds out where her father's books of magic are kept; the remaining 3 of the 7 soldiers are introduced. The origin stories of Mr Miracle, Bulleteer, and Frankenstein are given, and all are pretty awesome. Mr Miracle's especially has great art and a great story of inter-dimensional hopping through extreme escapist stunts.

The third volume continue
Travis
Jan 31, 2010 Travis rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
More little stories introducing new versions of old DC characters that then build into a giant puzzle of a story.
Klarion reads like a very dark twisted fairy tale and Frankenstien was a brilliant bit of surreal pulp action.

Zatanna is a waste that waters down the character, Bulleteer is an interesting character, but all Grant does is use her to snicker at the 'sexual subtext' of super heroes and go on about how absurd super heroes are.
Way to shoot yourself in the foot, Grant.

The individual storie
Fizzgig76
Jan 10, 2010 Fizzgig76 rated it really liked it
Reprints Klarion the Witchboy #4, Mister Miracle #1-2, Zatanna #4, Bulleteer #1-2, and Frankenstein #1. Klarion, Mister Miracle, Zatanna, the Bulleteer, and Frankenstein battle the Sheeda and continue to work to a common goal. This is probably the best of the Seven Soldiers collection because it has the most working series. Klarion and Zatanna wrap-up their mini-series while Mister Miracle, the Bulleteer, and Frankenstein begin their arcs. Mister Miracle is one of the weakest of the Seven Soldie ...more
Jason
Jul 19, 2016 Jason rated it really liked it
Like a freight train without brakes screaming down a hill, the story gets more and more intense as it heads towards its conclusion. Can't wait to read volume four! I was not looking forward to starting with three new characters since the first volume took a bit of work to get through, but their stories fit in well here with the tone and urgency that the other stories have reached. I'm enjoying this series immensely at this point but am glad I wasn't trying to read it as it came out in single iss ...more
Sam Poole
Feb 22, 2016 Sam Poole rated it liked it
Story is coming together. Frankenstein rules. THe art in bulleteer and zatanna is too much. Like way too much. This one isn't the best. Idk. I honestly don't like this series very much. The art is very exploitative and in spite of the large creative teams
There are no women. Idk. I'll finish it because the story is good but the characterization is lacking. If the art was slightly less cheese cakey then I would actually like it s lot. But it isn't.
B
Mar 18, 2016 B rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Intense. And kind of still too separate. This might have been better if all books were 1-4. Like this is just the Klarion and Frankenstein book or whatever.

One thing you can't help but notice after reading this and Grant's X-Men run and his autobiography about comics is contempt for a certain kind of person who reads comics . . . . .
Jamie
Jul 07, 2008 Jamie rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels
Wow, this series really takes a dip in quality in this volume with the introduction of the awful Mister Miracle and Bulleteer segments. Given how strong the first volumes were, it's a shame, and I hope the fourth can bring it back together.

I did like the Frankenstein guy, though.
Adrian Astur Alvarez
I found Vol. 3 a little more interesting than Vol. 2. The introduction of some new characters with compelling origin stories helped. I feel like I can't give a full impression of this project until I finish reading Vol. 4 and see the entire plan laid out.
Tom
Mar 05, 2012 Tom rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This volume creates more crossover between the seven story lines. That keeps this series engaging and the fresh influx of three new characters. The Klarion installment has been my favorite thus far, and it will be interesting to see how seven characters will unite, or if they actually will.
Jdetrick
The uneven quality of these stories is so frustrating. It's interesting as the different series begin to tie together, but many of them are still not that interesting. Despite not using Scott Free, the Mr. Miracle book isn't bad, but there's not enough great stuff here.
Joel
Jan 12, 2015 Joel rated it liked it
Finally a start at explaining what's going on and how all this stuff ties together, but still not much. Will it all make sense in the last TPB? We'll see, I guess. . . .
Ahimaaz R
Feb 05, 2010 Ahimaaz R rated it liked it
The digital artwork in Mr Miracle #2 is utterly bad. Zatanna and Klarion (to an extent) are good. Frankenstein #1 is a savior!
Shannon Appelcline
Jul 05, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-dc
This book is a bit wobby as we trade off between the two main sequences of Seven Soldiers books. Fortunately, Bulleteer and Frankenstein both start off strong.
Alex
Sep 20, 2008 Alex rated it really liked it
Solid work. I especially like how each character and his/her development is so unique and different than the others. It's almost too good to believe that this will all come together and makes sense.
Ramin Shabestari
Apr 06, 2010 Ramin Shabestari rated it really liked it
One of the most ambition titles I've read from DC but a great place to check out if you'd like to be familiar with Morrison's mindscape.
Shashank Verma
Shashank Verma rated it did not like it
May 19, 2016
DANIEL
DANIEL rated it liked it
May 20, 2016
Peterscoggins
Peterscoggins rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2011
Andrew Thomas
Andrew Thomas rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2015
Mike Powers
Mike Powers rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2014
Sophie
Sophie rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2010
Jmichael133
Jmichael133 rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2012
Rowii Nna
Rowii Nna rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2013
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2008
  • Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Volume One
  • Starman, Vol. 1: Sins of the Father
  • 52, Vol. 3
  • Doctor 13: Architecture and Mortality
  • Promethea, Vol. 3
  • NextWave: Agents of H.A.T.E., Volume 2: I Kick Your Face
  • Gotham Central, Vol. 3: Unresolved Targets
Scottish comic book author Grant Morrison is known for culture-jamming and the constant reinvention of his work. He is known for his nonlinear narratives and countercultural leanings in his runs on titles including DC Comics' Animal Man, Batman, JLA, The Invisibles, Action Comics, All-Star Superman, and Doom Patrol, and Marvel Comics' New X-Men and Fantastic Four. Many of these are controversial, ...more
More about Grant Morrison...

Seven Soldiers of Victory (4 books)
  • Seven Soldiers of Victory, Volume 1