Seven Soldiers of Victory, Vol. 3

Seven Soldiers of Victory, Vol. 3 (Seven Soldiers of Victory #3)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  989 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The brilliant mind of Grant Morrison is showcased in his most groundbreaking and ambitious project yet. This third volume in the series features the exploits of five of the seven soldiers: Zatanna, Klarion the Witchboy, Mister Miracle, Bulleteer and Frankenstein. Independently, each of these characters is featured in a story arc that defines their purpose in the DC Univers...more
Published May 31st 2006 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Seven Soldiers of Victory, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Soldiers of Victory, Vol. 3

Lloyd
Alright...

Finally, this series comes with a volume that I can really say that I at least liked with no reservations.

Mister Miracle's story develops here with a reality vs. perception motif that I can always get behind. Grant Morrison did enough with the character here to make me want to read New Gods. (No, I'm not converting to a new religion. Jack Kirby's New Gods from the 1970's were the first team that Mister Miracle was a part of.)

The Bulleteer story explores sexual fantasy in a way that un...more
Joe Sergi
I have to say I'm usually not smart enough to read Grant Morrison. This series started out linear enough and was actually quite fun.

But, I have absolutely no idea how it ended--I wasn't smart enough and quite frankly, my personal view, is that a mainstream comic book shouldn't require that much work. (that's not saying that I don't like books where each time you read it, you appreciate it more (like Watchman) but my personal feeling is that you should also enjoy the first reading.)

This was orig...more
Austin
Mar 06, 2008 Austin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Drug-Abusing Metatext Fans
Recommended to Austin by: Douglas Wolk
The four trade volumes that make up this story were originally put out as a 30 issue series, and in reprinting them the story is presented chronologically, in the order that it's suggested you should read them. But the brilliant thing about Seven Soldiers - and, to an extent, comics in general - is that you don't have to read them that way, and in fact, the series invites you to read the books in almost any order you'd like.

To elaborate: there are 7, four-issue stories that all interlock, and a...more
Patrick
This collection certainly spared the best for first... with the exception of a good Klarion storyline, and the adamantly creepy origin of the Buleteer, this part isn't nearly as interesting or entertaining as the earlier parts... Frankenstein, despite having the best artwork, in particular is far too involved in the overall story arch to feel a real character and comes off more as a Dues Ex Machina... the Miracle Man stories, however, are the worst. The art is horrible and the storyline incompre...more
Sam Quixote
Klarion finds trying to warn his people of impending doom is a Chicken Little problem; Zatanna goes very spacey while battling the evil magician Zor and finds out where her father's books of magic are kept; the remaining 3 of the 7 soldiers are introduced. The origin stories of Mr Miracle, Bulleteer, and Frankenstein are given, and all are pretty awesome. Mr Miracle's especially has great art and a great story of inter-dimensional hopping through extreme escapist stunts.

The third volume continue...more
Travis
More little stories introducing new versions of old DC characters that then build into a giant puzzle of a story.
Klarion reads like a very dark twisted fairy tale and Frankenstien was a brilliant bit of surreal pulp action.

Zatanna is a waste that waters down the character, Bulleteer is an interesting character, but all Grant does is use her to snicker at the 'sexual subtext' of super heroes and go on about how absurd super heroes are.
Way to shoot yourself in the foot, Grant.

The individual storie...more
Fizzgig76
Reprints Klarion the Witchboy #4, Mister Miracle #1-2, Zatanna #4, Bulleteer #1-2, and Frankenstein #1. Klarion, Mister Miracle, Zatanna, the Bulleteer, and Frankenstein battle the Sheeda and continue to work to a common goal. This is probably the best of the Seven Soldiers collection because it has the most working series. Klarion and Zatanna wrap-up their mini-series while Mister Miracle, the Bulleteer, and Frankenstein begin their arcs. Mister Miracle is one of the weakest of the Seven Soldie...more
Tom
Mar 05, 2012 Tom rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
This volume creates more crossover between the seven story lines. That keeps this series engaging and the fresh influx of three new characters. The Klarion installment has been my favorite thus far, and it will be interesting to see how seven characters will unite, or if they actually will.
Jamie
Wow, this series really takes a dip in quality in this volume with the introduction of the awful Mister Miracle and Bulleteer segments. Given how strong the first volumes were, it's a shame, and I hope the fourth can bring it back together.

I did like the Frankenstein guy, though.
Adrian Alvarez
I found Vol. 3 a little more interesting than Vol. 2. The introduction of some new characters with compelling origin stories helped. I feel like I can't give a full impression of this project until I finish reading Vol. 4 and see the entire plan laid out.
Alex
Solid work. I especially like how each character and his/her development is so unique and different than the others. It's almost too good to believe that this will all come together and makes sense.
Shannon Appelcline
This book is a bit wobby as we trade off between the two main sequences of Seven Soldiers books. Fortunately, Bulleteer and Frankenstein both start off strong.
Ramin Shabestari
One of the most ambition titles I've read from DC but a great place to check out if you'd like to be familiar with Morrison's mindscape.
Ahimaaz R
The digital artwork in Mr Miracle #2 is utterly bad. Zatanna and Klarion (to an extent) are good. Frankenstein #1 is a savior!
Paul
OOO! Frankenstein and his Bride as Commando-type heros? HOW interesting!!!!!!!!!1
Brandt Fundak
I'm holding off on a review until I read volume 4.
Quentin Pridgen
Quentin Pridgen marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Bessie
Bessie added it
Aug 19, 2014
Filipe Alves
Filipe Alves marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
  • Planetary: Crossing Worlds
  • Doctor 13: Architecture and Mortality
  • X-Force, Vol. 1: New Beginnings
  • Justice League International, Vol. 3
Scottish comic book author Grant Morrison is known for culture-jamming and the constant reinvention of his work. He is known for his nonlinear narratives and countercultural leanings in his runs on titles including DC Comics' Animal Man, Batman, JLA, The Invisibles, Action Comics, All-Star Superman, and Doom Patrol, and Marvel Comics' New X-Men and Fantastic Four. Many of these are controversial,...more
More about Grant Morrison...
Batman: Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on Serious Earth All-Star Superman, Vol. 1 We3 Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn All-Star Superman, Vol. 2