Start by marking “Zen of eBook Formatting: A Step-by-step Guide To Format eBooks for Kindle and EPUB” as Want to Read:

Take Pride in Your eBook Formatting!
“If you’re looking for the gold standard on ebook formatting, this is the only guide you’ll ever need.” — NYT, USA Today & WSJ bestselling author Tracey Garvis Graves

This is the revised, second edition!

Step by step, “Zen of eBook Formatting” takes a detailed look at the process that Guido Henkel has used to format close to a thousa
Published May 23rd 2014 by Thunder Peak Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Zen of eBook Formatting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zen of eBook Formatting

Jessica Bell
Aug 27, 2016 Jessica Bell rated it really liked it
I've just spent the last few days reading this book while simultaneously formatting a book for ePub. It is an extremely valuable resource. I could not have done such a precise job without this book!

For the past few years I've been formatting Microsoft Word docs and converting them. While my Microsoft Word formatting has been working brilliantly for Kindle (hyper-linked contents pages and all), I have been having a really hard time getting my ePub line breaks and page breaks to work the way I wan
Jane
Aug 10, 2015 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, business
Where I got the book: purchased on Kindle.

Guido Henkel did my ebook formatting but I bought his book so I could give it a try on my own—which he heartily encourages. And having read through it, I’m pretty confident I have the information I need to turn out a professionally formatted ebook. Henkel takes the reader through the various stages needed to produce an ebook free of errors and fit to display on any ereader, no matter how old. Which means, as you’d guess, that this is a back-to-basics app
Joseph Nassise
Jun 11, 2015 Joseph Nassise rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fabulous!

A first class guide to teaching both basic and advanced techniques for proper ebook creation from a highly-experienced teacher. Well worth it!
Lee Dunning
Jun 28, 2015 Lee Dunning rated it really liked it
It's that time again, when I sit down and try to turn my 110,000 word novel into something that won't makes people's eyes vomit when they bring it up on a Kindle. Last time I used Paul Salvette's "The eBook Design and Development Guide" with good results. However, it's about three years old now and Guido's book is into it's second edition, so I figured it would have newer information. It does, but not necessarily in areas that will revolutionize eBook formatting. He has more up-to-date info ...more
Allan Walsh
Feb 07, 2016 Allan Walsh rated it really liked it
The Zen of eBook Formatting is a book for writers who want to know how to format and create eBooks. Written by Guido Henkel, a writer and an experienced programmer, for writers. This book provides a step by step guide on how to correctly format and produce your own eBooks.

The Bad Stuff: If you are just looking for a book that says do this, then do that, this book may frustrate you a little. There is a lot of explaining, but to be fair, it is of value to know 'the why' behind what you are doing.
Sabrina Flynn
Sep 14, 2016 Sabrina Flynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Very clear, and easy formatting instructions. Easy to follow.
Bronwyn
Apr 25, 2015 Bronwyn rated it it was amazing
A life saver. I'm a first-time self-published author who was very nervous about formatting my own eBook. Guido's guide made everything so simple and straightforward. It took me about a day to do my first book and now I think I could do it much quicker. My only complaint is that I could only find this book on Amazon -- I wish it was available as an ePub on other retailers. Otherwise, I recommend you spend the $5 on this book and save yourself the $200 for professional formatting. You'll be so ...more
Riké
If I could, I'd give this book 2.5 stars. I learned a lot and I am very interested in the subject. I look forward to applying this knowledge for creating ebooks. The resources were really good too.

I give it a 2.5 because I had a serious issue when I read this on one of my devices. I wasn't completely wowed by the content enough to give it a higher rating, nor was I crazy about the writing. Nonetheless, I like this book enough to use as a resource. I really enjoyed his "Take pride in your ebook
Adair Hart
Aug 19, 2015 Adair Hart rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
This is a great guide that steps you through everything you need to go from a finiahed manuscript to a polished ebook. As a developer myself, it was good to see the technical details laid out.

I used Visual Studio 2010 as my html editor, and had to make some adjustments on the regular expressions part that weren't in the book, but nothing too wild. Although I am having my ebook fancied up by another formatter, I will do book 2 completely with the formatting from book 1 applied to it. After going
K.J. Klemme
Mar 28, 2016 K.J. Klemme rated it it was amazing
Great information!

The author takes the mystery out of some of the problems I've encountered while attempting to build robust ePubs. It's evident he has formatted a myriad of books, and has developed a deep knowledge in the subject.

I don't think this book is for self-publishing novices, unless they're familiar with coding or have done some work with HTML. Although the instructions are clear, I could see where it might be a bit intimidating for the first-timer.

As someone who has tackled a few ePub
Chad Gramling
Sep 12, 2015 Chad Gramling rated it it was amazing
Answers all my questions and more!

I am so glad I read this book! I have been working on my own ebook and learning what I can about various softwares and eReaders along the way. This book addressed many of my worries about silly formatting glitches and other problematic things I have seen in ebooks over the years. Definitely encourage any aspiring self-publishing writer to read this one before committing their final draft to production.
Morris Graham
Oct 28, 2015 Morris Graham rated it it was amazing
Wow! This tells you why you should format your own eBook, and then tells you how. Some little tricky things like Calibre scaling your font sizes so that no matter how hard you try, they aren't the size you wanted. This book is full of tips, tricks and downright instructions on how to do it right. If you are going to produce an eBook, don't do anything until you read this book first. I wish I had read it when I published my first book.
Chele Cooke
I loved reading this book. Formatting can be a pain for a lot of authors and Guido Henkel completely changes that. He walks readers through a detailed way of creating beautiful and working eBooks whilst also taking the time to explain each aspect so that, not only does formatting become interesting, but is also logical enough to progress on your own. If you want to get your geek on about formatting, this is the book for it.
Anna Adler
Jul 14, 2016 Anna Adler rated it it was amazing
This book was a life saver. I was determined to do my own ebook formatting, although I had less than no idea at all what it meant. Thanks to Guido's clear, step-by-step instructions, a clueless newbie like me was able to put together an ebook and feel accomplished about it. Even more importantly, I learned a ton about coding and that the whole process is not so scary, after all. I actually know what's in the guts of the ebook I created. Thank you, Guido!
Dan McGirt
Nov 13, 2015 Dan McGirt rated it it was amazing
Excellent detailed guide to ebook formatting.

I have long used Mr. Henkel's blog posts on ebook formatting as a reference, so I am delighted that he has updated and compiled his advice in this book. An excellent resource for anyone preparing your own ebook for publication.
Bill
Mar 08, 2016 Bill rated it it was amazing
If you're at all interested in self-publishing, I highly recommend this book. Everything you need to know to prepare your own book for digital distribution is right there in easy to understand language. And I can report firsthand that the author is a pretty good guy too. Recommended!
A.J. Navarre
Sep 27, 2014 A.J. Navarre rated it it was amazing
This has become an invaluable tool for me in understanding how to format an ebook from scratch. The instructions are in-depth and easy to follow, with step-by-step explanations that occasionally use visual examples as reinforcement.

Without a doubt, the best formatting guide I've found so far.
Paula Radell
Jun 24, 2015 Paula Radell rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
This book is extremely helpful - and rapidly gets highly technical - it's great for understanding how formatting works, less so for being able to directly apply the knowledge.
Z. Rider
Sep 14, 2014 Z. Rider rated it really liked it
Lots of useful information, well explained. I learned some handy tricks and am looking forward to putting them to use soon.
Kathrese
Kathrese rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2014
Eleanor Kos
Eleanor Kos rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2015
Jonathan Penn
Jonathan Penn rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2015
Shirley Larson
Shirley Larson rated it did not like it
Nov 07, 2015
Rob at-52-Novels
Rob at-52-Novels rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2014
Nicola
Nicola rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Les Dale
Les Dale rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2015
Anthony Kerr
Anthony Kerr rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2015
Stephen Arnott
Stephen Arnott rated it really liked it
May 11, 2015
felix ungureanu
felix ungureanu rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Gary Close
Gary Close rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Based in Southern California, Guido Henkel has been a computer game designer and interactive fiction writer for over 25 years before he decided to try his hand at traditional novelized fiction.

Among the many award-winning games he's worked on as the "Realms of Arkania" series which was the official adaptation of the highly successful German pen&paper role-playing game series "Das Schwarze Auge
More about Guido Henkel...