Start by marking “Pabellón 11: Un campo de concentración. Un prisionero por sacrificar. Un thriller apasionante.” as Want to Read:

Auschwitz, 1944. Following a successful escape from the camp, a group of ten prisoners are rounded up for execution. But at the last minute, counter-orders are given. Since the camp needs inmates for labour, only one prisoner will be sacrificed. And it is the job of the other nine prisoners, locked up in Block 11, to decide who will die.
Published February 22nd 2012 by Suma de Letras (first published May 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Pabellón 11, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pabellón 11

Diane S ☔
Nov 10, 2012 Diane S ☔ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 When I first read the premise for this novel, a novel about a psychologically disturbing choice during a very horrific time in history, I immediately thought of the novel, Sophie's Choice. An escape from an unnamed concentration camp is made and turns out to be successful, the commandant of the camp chooses a group of people, by number, from the same barracks where they escapees have been existing, can't bring myself to call it actually living. At first it seems as if the choices are random, ...more
Mikkee
Apr 25, 2013 Mikkee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It has been by far the best new book I have read in 2013. I am only rating it 4 instead of 5 because it was a little slow to start. However, Antoni did amazing work of developing his story and characters in such a way that I reviled, hated, loved, and understood all of them throughout the book. He made me feel such despair at the state of humanity, but he reminded me of the hope there is and possibility for good, no matter how small. The ending was poignant and well-done.

Any b
Kimberly Thomas johnson

I liked the author's development of the different characters. However, the story itself seemed a bit disjointed. The back story of Ida wasn't really fleshed out, and yet seemed to take a prominent position at the end of the story.
Lorena
Nov 20, 2016 Lorena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me compré este libro porque la temática Nazi, campos de concentración siempre me ha llamado la atención y me gusta leer sobre ello. Cuando vi este libro, pensé que iba a ser muy parecido a El niño con el pijama de rayas, pero solo tienen en común la temática.

Todo empieza de un recuerdo que tiene uno de los protagonistas, hasta un final que tiene que ver con el inicio de lo que sucedió en el Pabellón 11. Lo más fascinante, es que toda la trama pasa en una noche. Una noche en la que los prisioner
Mariantonieta912
3.5 estrellas
Un libro que realmente fue mucho más crudo de lo que inicialmente esperaba.
A pesar de la trama tan dura y cruel que se desarrolla en el Pabellón 11, creo que tiene un hilo muy inteligente que consigue atrapar al lector por completo. La historia de esos diez prisioneros está narrada de tal manera que cuando finalizas de leer sientes que les conoces a todos a pesar de no haber pasado con ellos más de un día.
Creo que el libro se queda un poco corto y aunque lo disfruté me quedé al term
Lightblue
Come ho già detto altre volte è difficile dare un giudizio ad un libro sull’Olocausto. E’ un tema così terribile, ma che non dobbiamo mai smettere di ricordare, per evitare di ricadere negli stessi allucinanti errori. In questo caso poi, il libro è scritto talmente bene e dà delle sensazioni estremamente vivide, che è impossibile rimanere indifferenti. Si racconta di un gruppo di ebrei, prigionieri in un campo di concentramento, che vengono rinchiusi per una notte intera nel Blocco 11, per ...more
Dana
May 15, 2016 Dana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Block 11 examined the human drive to survive during World War II. The deranged German officer in charge of a concentration camp decided to play chess with the lives of ten prisoners to punish the general population for the escape of three other men. The officer selected ten men to be placed in Block 11, and gave them a harrowing ultimatum: decide on one person who will give their life by morning as penance for the escapees, or all ten prisoners would die.

The novel moved between the officer play
Angela
Sep 30, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Block 11 by Piero Degli Antoni is set in Auschwitz, so immediately you know this is not likely to be a cheerful tale. Three prisoners have escaped, so the Camp Kommandant decides to execute ten other prisoners in reprisal. He changes his mind, however, and decides instead to play a macabre sort of game with the ten prisoners. He orders that they be locked in a washhouse and given one night to decide which one among them will be executed the next day; the other nine will be spared.

The ten seeming
Diane
Jan 14, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is set in Auschwitz prison camp during World war 2. We see what prisoners are put through and the cruelty that humans did to others, The story was quite easy to read and the flow was good. Keeps you guessing.

We meet 10 prisoners about to die because of prisoners that have escaped.

Suddenly a reprieve is given to them with a catch to it. They will have to decide which one of them will be given up to die and the rest set free. It is a night of deep searching, many stories and secrets. Who
Morena Cassago
Aug 09, 2016 Morena Cassago rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Per gli appassionati del genere, questo libro è una lettura veramente interessante. I personaggi sono tutti molto ben caratterizzati e gli intrecci tra le loro storie sono davvero particolari. Il ritmo narrativo di questo romanzo è decisamente azzeccato: quasi ogni capitolo si chiude con un cliffhanger, per cui risulta parecchio difficile smettere di leggere. Lo stile di scrittura è pulito e gradevole, senza risultare affatto banale. Sebbene affronti uno dei temi più complicati in narrativa,
Diego Rivera
Jun 01, 2016 Diego Rivera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing! This story is full of friendship, forgiveness, unity, and cruelty. It follows the horrible things that the SS soldiers did to the prisoners. The characters get an excellent development throughout the story to confront the situation. The book taught me that in spite the intentions of people trying to harm you, if you work together, you will achieve your goals. The beginning wasn't that good that is why I rated it four stars. An excellent story that I recommend to everyone ...more
Maria Beltrami
Davvero una strana storia, che parte col pretesto del fare ammenda, da parte del figlio di un gerarca nazista, degli orrori del padre, e che invece scandaglia la natura umana, il microclima di un gruppo di prigionieri di un campo di concentramento nazista ai quali sadicamente viene imposto di scegliere il capro che salverà le vite degli altri, mediante le regole di una partita di scacchi.
Alla fine, in modo abbastanza sorprendente, il deus ex machina si rivelerà un perdente, pur avendo anticipato
Alexis Steven
Es más un 3.5, estoy seguro que no es una lectura para todos, pero si les gustan las historias de este tipo seguro les gusta ésta.
En general es una lectura veloz, con emociones mezcladas y con una sensación que nos muestra lo que es el destino y la fuerza de las decisiones. Así como la opresión que se sufría en ese tiempo.

Reseña completa: http://elfinal-delahistoria.blogspot.mx/2012/11/resena-pabellon-11-el-nino-nazi-piero.html
Joel Kleehammer
Block 11 is an excellent book. Certain parts come off as predictable, but so much more of the book is left wide open with the reader unable to guess what might happen next. It is very reminiscent of Elie Wiesel's early works, especially Night. The tale is a story of ultimate loss and sacrifice coupled with the ability to continue and grow (whether or not you can accept it and move on).
Garryvivianne
Oct 31, 2013 Garryvivianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ten prisoners are sent into Block 11 because there have been three escapees. The Nazi's are furious & pick 10 people to choose just ONE of them for execution. The story details each character's good & bad traits. During this time that they are trying to decide whom to pick, they find out many revelations about each one. Confessions are told, truths are found out, each one with something good & horribly bad. A decision is hard to come by. A good story.

Good writing.
Jerom
Sep 02, 2013 Jerom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
La verdad es que lo pongo aquí porque no se me ocurre donde ponerlo.

Se lee en un santiamen, para mi gusto le falta algo. Creo que intenta abarcar mucho, intenta ser una reflexión sobre la condición humana, pero creo que se queda a medio camino.

Como detalle negativo, la no traducción de vocablos alemanes... a pesar de que se supone que todos los personajes están hablando en ese idioma.
Lis
Dec 31, 2015 Lis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Vickie Treulieb
For a $1 at The Dollar Tree, I didn't expect much from this book. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't the best book I've read, but I liked the very focused plot on what was supposed to happen to this group of people and the decision they had to make. I also liked the chess analogy that went on in the background. It was an easy read that held my interests.
Naomi
Feb 26, 2013 Naomi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness, this book dragged on and on. It was written in a very unwelcoming writing style for something along the lines of a Sophie's Choice type of book. This is the type of book that would normally be right up my alley, but this fell short in the character development, explaining the story behind the story and emotion.
Yosef Shapiro
This is a good book. It is very depressing in several parts. But, it is worth reading. A group of prisoners are selected after an escape. Their task is to choose one for the Nazis to execute so that the others might live. But, it is not as simple as it sounds.
Gena Divine
I always end up feeling guilty when I read Holocaust fiction - the truth is brutal enough. That being said, the 'chess game' concept behind this suspense novel was intriguing and I couldn't put the book down. However, there were too many plot holes and threads left loose for me to give it 4 stars.
Dana Damm
Sep 03, 2013 Dana Damm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book started out slow, but if you can make through the first half it is worth the read! Lots of twist and turns, as well as a wonderful ending. I did find some errors throughout the book, but I think that is expected when a book it translated into English. Overall a great read!
Mirele Kessous
Oct 15, 2013 Mirele Kessous rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Psychological thriller, very suspenseful, and HS kids would love it--but there is an extremely disturbing scene that would make me hesitant to recommend this to anyone younger than 12th grade unless they specifically requested it from me. Really...really disturbing.
Cristina
Nov 23, 2014 Cristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Literally read this book in one night, could not put it down ! I really liked how the author incorporated the separate scenes of the commander and the prisoners. The scenes were very detailed.
Over all it is a story about characters who live in a demoralized place and yet find the hope to survive.
Lesincele Viaja gracias a los libros
El principio me desconcertó...y luego a medida que avanzaba me fue sorprendiendo más y más hasta donde puede llegar la crueldad del hombre. Alucinante.
Una novela que se lee en nada y que no puedes dejar hasta acabarla.
Florinda
Reviewed in SHELF AWARENESS FOR READERS, 10/30/2012:
René
Apr 25, 2014 René rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a very good book with a surprising ending but with some predictable things in the sub-stories. Even thought I strongly recommend the book.
Jackie
Mar 29, 2014 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous holocaust novel ... really puts the time period into perspective... using chess as the background = genius!
Pat Morris
Nov 22, 2012 Pat Morris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ten Auschwitz prisoners are thrown together into a cell being ordered to decide which of them should be executed....Poignant and intense character study.
  • L'ottava vibrazione
  • Gioventù cannibale
  • Stella del mattino
  • Children of the Holocaust: Conversations with Sons and Daughters of Survivors
  • Bericht uit Berlijn
  • Il cuore selvatico del ginepro
  • Hasidic Tales of the Holocaust
  • Yoshe Kalb
  • Nessuno sa di noi
  • Necropoli
  • The Stuff of Legend, Book 2: The Jungle (The Stuff of Legend, #2)
  • Il treno dell'ultima notte