Start by marking “The Planet Hunter: The Story Behind What Happened to Pluto” as Want to Read:
The Planet Hunter: The Story Behind What Happened to Pluto

The Planet Hunter: The Story Behind What Happened to Pluto

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  20 reviews
This nonfiction picture book tells the story of astronomer Mike Brown, from his childhood to his growing curiosity about the solar system to his amazing discoveries. Full color.
Published September 1st 2007 by Cooper Square Publishing Llc

To ask other readers questions about The Planet Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Planet Hunter

Lisa Vegan
Oct 25, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dreamers, inventors, discoverers; to learn about our solar system and astonomy
This biography is so perfect for kids, especially those interested in astronomy or discovery/invention. It’s about Mike Brown and it starts when he’s a boy and goes to the present. He’s now an adult with a daughter of his own. But, he’s “Mike” throughout the book and he’s referred to in a way that does not distance him too much from his childhood goals, or from children being able to identify with him. He’s portrayed in such a way that children will like and admire him, but he doesn’t seem like ...more
Crystal Marcos
The Planet Hunter was a great read. I think this book would inspire any young astronomer. I certainly learned from this book. The story takes us through the life of astronomer Mike Brown and his journey to become “The Planet Hunter”. I liked the illustrations and attention to detail. For example, one of illustrations was of Mike as a child hanging a solar system poster in his room. He had a holey sock, open messy drawer, and an over crowed trash can. It was fun to see what he was like as a child ...more
Cheryl
A little too simplistic for some school-kids, and too long for some pre-schoolers. Still, valuable, important, and accessible for most folks. If you are the least bit interested in the rest of the story, I highly recommend Mike's own book, How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming, which is non-technical but still enlightening - and interesting & funny, too.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Rusch tells the story here of astronomer Mike Brown, who, in looking for planet-sized objects beyond Pluto, discovered Santa, the fastest revolving object in our solar system, Quaoar, Sedna, and Eris, an object bigger than Pluto. Unfortunately, even though Eris is bigger than Pluto, it's not considered a planet either. I didn't care for the casual way this book was written, more like an anecdote. I would have liked a straightforward non-fiction book, but that's just me. The illustrations were co ...more
David
The Planet Hunter: The Story Behind What Happened to Pluto by Elizabeth Rusch, illustrated by Guy Francis, is a picture-book format biography of astronomer Mike Brown. Brown's discoveries of many celestial bodies, including Quaoar, Sedna, & Santa, plus a Pluto-sized object, Eris, in our solar system led to a re-evaluation of what constitutes a planet, & ultimately led to the demotion of Pluto to dwarf-planet status.

Rusch makes scientific ideas both clear & interesting. The illustrat
Abby Johnson
This nonfiction picture book tells the story of Mike Brown, the guy whose discoveries led to Pluto's demotion. Mike always thought there must be more planets out there somewhere and he was so confident about it that he made a bet with a friend that a planet larger than Pluto would be discovered within four years. Mike lost his bet, discovering several astral bodies that were smaller than Pluto. But just after the four-year limit, Mike found Eris, a planet bigger than Pluto! But if everything tha ...more
Anne Boles
Dec 09, 2007 Anne Boles rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children
In case you've been living on an asteroid, Pluto got bumped from the planet club last year after astronomers decided there were too many other Pluto-esque balls of ice and rock floating around the same neighborhood. It just wasn't special enough after all.

Nothing could make such a phenomenon hit closer than dramatizing it as a personal quest. Rusch cuts through the science and brings us a gripping, highly readable story of one persistent, likable young astronomer determined to find another plane
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Fascinating read about Pluto and Planet Hunter - liked the additional facts too.
Shelli
When Pluto got demoted from being a planet, I, like most people, was confused. How can something that has been known to be one thing for so long now be something different? Since then, I have read several books that are all about, or at least mention, Pluto's demotion asking readers to choose a side in this debate. How funny that the relabeling of our solar system caused such controversy. This biography is great at explaining how all of this reclassifying came to be.
Christy
Collin received this book as a gift from someone who met the author at a conference. I thought it would be too complex for a four year old, but he loves it. I love that the book has a mix of drawings and actual photographs of the sky - nicely done. This book also happens to be the first biography that I have read to Collin, so it gave me the opportunity to tell him what a biography is and how it is different from the other books we read.
Jenny
This book was great. I loved the illustrations. I can imagine this being a great read aloud during an astronomy unit or a biography unit. And I must say that it really helped me understand why Pluto is no longer designated a planet and get excited about future discoveries that may happen in my lifetime. This was such a great book...and includes an awesome poster.
Lori
Great children's biography of Mike Brown, Hunstville, AL native, who had a passion for planets and desire to find more. (Somehow I missed reading about the 'planet problem' in the news and really enjoyed learning about the discovery of Quaoar, Sedna, Santa and Eris in this current biography).
Kay
Great explanation for what happened to Pluto - true story of the scientist that caused the whole uproar, but written as a children's story. If you're studying the planets with your elementary aged kids, this is definitely a fun one to include.
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
So much has been made of the Pluto controversy, this book explains why Pluto is not a planet by tracing the evolution of discoveries about Pluto by an actual scientist. Great for teaching kids about how science learns and changes.
Amy
Complex stuff/real science/biography in a very kid-friendly (but interesting to adult) style. Really impressed with this book. I LOVE Pluto though so I am perhaps a bit impartial.
Auntie J
Even kids typically too old for picture books should like this one, if they are interested in astronomy.
Great story about why Pluto is no longer a planet--with great pictures (more a picture story book)
Christine Turner
This is a non-fiction book in a picture book format.
Angela
A little wordy for the dude. But cool illustrations.
Angela Alonso
To inspire future astronomers!
Bobbi
Bobbi added it
Sep 16, 2014
Meghan Nels
Meghan Nels marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Rll52013_andrea
Rll52013_andrea marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
ELIZABETH RUSCH is an award-winning children's book author and magazine writer. She writes both fiction and nonfiction in the areas of science, art, sports, waves, jokes, crayons, and mud — anything that catches her fancy.

Her recent title, The Mighty Mars Rovers The Incredible Adventures of Spirit and Opportunity (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt), a Junior Library Guild selection, has garnered starred r
More about Elizabeth Rusch...
A Day with No Crayons Eruption! Volcanoes and the Science of Saving Lives The Mighty Mars Rovers: The Incredible Adventures of Spirit and Opportunity Electrical Wizard: How Nikola Tesla Lit Up the World For the Love of Music : the remarkable story of Maria Anna Mozart