Start by marking “Giraffes? Giraffes!” as Want to Read:
Giraffes? Giraffes!

Giraffes? Giraffes! (The Haggis-on-Whey World of Unbelievable Brilliance)

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  726 ratings  ·  92 reviews
For many years the scientific and educational communities have wondered and worried about the possibility that semi-sane scholar-pretenders would find the means to publish a series of reference books aimed at children but filled with ludicrous misinformation. These books would be distributed through respectable channels and would inevitably find their ways into the hands a ...more
Published February 28th 2008 by McSweeney's (first published September 28th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Giraffes? Giraffes!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Giraffes? Giraffes!

Mummy
This is one of the funniest books I have ever read. Its beautifully illustrated and aimed at impressionable children who may well believe any old lies thrown at them as facts rather than discerning adults who may well doubt that giraffes came here directly from Neptune. Rather than continue with my thoughts, I will just add the book description:

"For many years the scientific and educational community has wondered and worried about the possibility that semi-sane scholar-pretenders would find the
Mark Desrosiers
At first I thought, OK I "get" it, this is anti-humor. Like Zippy the Pinhead, or that little Kaufman dude who used to wrestle chicks.

But this isn't anti-humor, it's just not funny. A cannabis salad served with a dressing of posh graffix by some glib McSweeney's hepcats.

Here's some examples of the hilarity to be found within: repeatedly calling giraffes "aminals", a feature about "How to Make a Bread Sandwich", the factoids that giraffes don't believe in croûtons, stethoscopes, or subleasing.
Alison
Sep 11, 2007 Alison rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is freakin' awsome. I'm thinking of calling people and reading excerpts from it daily on their answering machines.

April
Jan 09, 2008 April rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the cult of the Flying Circus
Recommended to April by: Nat Davis: that should tell you everything
If you don't like this book, I don't like you...
cory
Feb 07, 2008 cory rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who have seen the move airplane in the last 3 months
i picked up the first edition of this thinking i'd learn something about giraffes and that i'd be able to pass that on to my kids as part of the important process of learning about the environment. boy, was i wrong! this is a bunch of stuff that seems like it is supposed to be funny. what's that, a giraffe from terra haute, indiana! oh! hahahahaha! oh wait, a group of giraffes from terra haute?! now that is really something!!!!! ahahahhahahhahah ahhaa hahah ha. zzzzz
Barry
A conveyor belt brought the first Giraffes to earth close to 500,000 years ago and nothing has ever been the same! Due to my public school education and an inability to apply myself, I missed out on this and dozens of other fascinating giraffe facts the first time around. Fortunately the Haggis-On-Whey library has all the (undoubtedly true) answers I could hope for.

Watch out for gila monsters my long-necked friends!
Tessa Campbell
I love the Haggis-on-Whey books. They are hillarious and mere nonsense. What you learn about giraffes are that they arrived to this planet via a conveyor belt. They are one of the top 5 misunderstood animals. Sworn enemies of all giraffes are The Gila monster, the toucan, the Queen of Norway, and Matthew Perry. Just a little tidbit on Giraffes which I learned from this book.
Destinee Sutton
What do you really know about giraffes? Did you know the Queen of Norway is the sworn enemy of giraffes? Did you know that giraffes invented plastic? Are you aware of the fact that giraffes came to Earth on a conveyor belt from Neptune? THIS BOOK HAS PICTURES TO PROVE IT. You’re laughing, but it’s true. Seriously.
Betterthanfiction
Written by Dr. Dorris Haggis-On-Whey and her husband Benny, the Haggis-On-Whey World of Unbelievable Brilliance book series will boggle your mind. Boggle boggle boggle. Just like that. Have you ever wanted to know where giraffes came from? Why, giant interstellar conveyor belts of course! And where can you find them in the United States? Terre Haute and Atlanta (known to giraffes as Hotlanta!). Learn catchy giraffe sayings ( "You salt-water sauerkraut ", "Bolt the Door, I'm in the spin cycle "), ...more
Jaine
The McSweeney crew usually makes me recoil. After awhile, I felt like this book was trying to hard. Thank goodness, though, it's not long. And there are pictures. I liked the book for what it was. And I definitely like the cards at the back of the book.
Kristeeeee
The best book on my shelf. I learned that giraffes come from the moon on a conveyor belt.
Jack Waters
Dr. Doris Haggis-on-Whey and her stumbling husband Benny give us a stunning history into all things giraffe related, such as the fact they travel long distances on large conveyor belts and control the world's supply of ice.

This and other common-knowledge facts about giraffes are presented in this children's picture book in an easy-to-read-yet-completely-easier-to-agree-with way. You're welcome, science.

The Haggis-on-Whey couple took Donald Barthelme's idea of children's picture books and ran wit
Jenelle
This was a total stumble-upon-in-the-thrift-store book. I didn't know what to make of it in the 30 seconds I glanced through it, but bought it anyway.

BEST PURCHASE EVER!!

Though, I assume, it is aimed toward kids, it is totally tongue-in-cheek, and the unconvetional format makes it nearly impossible to read aloud. Between the random charts and diagrams, the text can feel quite dry and academic, until you realize what you're actually reading, even on the copyright/publication page in tiny print:

Bob Hartley
In all honesty, I bought a copy of this because there's a band called Giraffes? Giraffes! and it sort of sounded good. It's quite good though. It's something I'll give to my son, if I ever have a son. Some of the stuff inside caters to injokes I have with friends, and not much else is all that funny on its own merits, but it is a well put together thing.
Wendy
Not what you expect! Put on your witty and sarcastic hat before you pick this book up, or any book by Doris Haggisi-on-Whey for that matter. Entertainment galore!
Kristina
HILARIOUS coffee table book. I just adore the fiction-as-nonfiction approach and the wonderful illustrations.
Raina
Silly book written by a scientist researching giraffes. Giraffes apparently came from another planet and are transported primarily by ramps. They have played a major role in history. Some of the research help came from Dave Eggers, among others. Cute and fun, but I'm not quite sure how to booktalk it. It might be a little too clever for some and too childish for others. I might decide to squeeze it into my jr. high booktalks, but a parent saw it and I handsold it today before I got to write the ...more
Rita Wang
A really beautiful and weird book with fake, whimsical facts about giraffes. I tip my hats to the designers of this book because it has a really elaborate and intricate design, both inside and outside. The content was fun and a quick read. Has strange humor not unlike that of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Moira Burke
"In case this wasn't covered in your seventh grade Earth Science course, giraffes came to this planet nearly five-hundred thousand years ago on a giant conveyor belt. And ever since then, they've smelled like pastrami and have developed excellent investment portfolios. Dave and Toph Eggers are rumored to have had something to do with this publication . . ."
David L.
Oct 05, 2007 David L. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
I picked this book up at the store thinking it was out of place considering I found it in the humor section. I found it odd that a book about giraffes would have such a beautiful cover and great illustrations and pictures. I knew I had to buy it when I read the first line: "This book is about animals, or aminals..." I have never laughed so hard in my entire life!
Lindsay
My first read of 2014: it's a quick read at only 61 pages, but it was 61 pages of delightful. Really funny and just my style of humour.
Heather
This book is about giraffes. Its not a picture book so we didn't get into it too much, but its mostly silly made up facts about giraffes. Just not for us. Oh and purportedly giraffes came here from another planet and something about escalators. That was amusing.
Lisa Kucharski
Book, that seeks to misinform you with great humor. The book looks like it is set up for a child to read. However, I would say that more adults would find the humor accessible than kids.

Overall though, a strange and interesting start to this series.
Tiah Keever
its really really funny. Thank you Danny Rivera for sending this to me and making me laugh so much!
if someone ever gives you this, don't put it on the bookshelf for months without opening it,cos you're just wasting time that you could be laughing with.
Jamie
A silly book (even by my standards) on the history and nature of giraffes. In case you didn't know, they came to earth on a huge conveyor belt and they don't believe in velcro. And the majority of them now, of course, reside in Terre Haute, Indiana.
Tpiac
Great for a laugh. Looks like a kid's book but a good number of the people I know under the age of ten or so wouldn't understand it or care. Again: great for a laugh. (Just look at the author's name. I mean, come on. Dr. Doris Haggis-on-Whey?)
Kelly Kron
This book is the best coffee table book ever. Did you know that giraffe's have fruit juice in their legs? This book will tell you so much that you never knew about our friend the giraffe. You will laugh, cry, and want a giraffe of your very own.
Jamie Felton
I would compare this to Monty Python maybe. A mocklopedia of information about giraffes. McSweeneys does everything with great attention to detail and aesthetic value, and this is no different. It is completely ridiculous and beautifully done.
Amy
I like this book. I learned a lot about giraffes.

(This book is a strange long flight of fancy. It made me laugh, although I do have a bit of that "WHAT IS THE POINT" frustration with it. And then I giggled and I realized -why-.
  • Mountain Man Dance Moves: The McSweeney's Book of Lists
  • McSweeney's #16
  • Axe Cop Vol. 3
  • McSweeney's #13
  • Mortified 2: Love is a Battlefield
Dr. and Mr. Doris Haggis-on-Whey are a joint pseudonym of Dave Eggers and his brother Christopher.
More about Doris Haggis-on-Whey...

The Haggis-on-Whey World of Unbelievable Brilliance (5 books)
  • Your Disgusting Head
  • Animals of the Ocean, in Particular the Giant Squid
  • Cold Fusion
  • Children and the Tundra
Your Disgusting Head Animals of the Ocean, in Particular the Giant Squid Cold Fusion Children and the Tundra