Start by marking “Lève ta jambe, mon poisson est mort! (Lift Your Leg, My Fish is Dead!)” as Want to Read:
Lève ta jambe, mon poisson est mort! (Lift Your Leg, My Fish is Dead!)

Lève ta jambe, mon poisson est mort! (Lift Your Leg, My Fish is Dead!)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Julie Doucet's first book collection, featuring a selection of strips culled from her cult comic book series Dirty Plotte is just as odd as it's title suggests. You'll find it all in here: fatal kisses, early misadventures with tampons, ecstatic lovemaking with giant beer bottles, and a host of other strange and unconventional themes from the unfettered imagination of Ms.
Published October 1st 1993 by Drawn and Quarterly

To ask other readers questions about Lève ta jambe, mon poisson est mort!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lève ta jambe, mon poisson est mort!

Jason Bradshaw
This is a collection of Julie Doucet’s early stories, both from her comic book, Dirty Plotte and other magazines such as Weirdo and Drawn and quarterly. Within are mostly autobiographic stories about, for example, being a giant menstruating monster, being viciously murdered and fed to a dog, about taking a bottle of beer home to have sex with and many, many other weird things.

As with a lot of solo anthology books, this collection is a bit of a mixed bag. One of the things that are interesting ab
Alana
This one got me started. Some of these strips i didn't understand (not speaking Quebequois) some i didn't care for, and some I still show to every human who strays past my door.
Scapeghost
Julie Doucet made her name by creating comics that held nothing back. 'Dirty Plotte' was funny, emotionally authentic and seemingly guileless; but behind the earnest explorations of topics previously untouched by other cartoonists was a keen intellect that was consciously provocative. This volume collects some of her earliest stories. It lacks the stylistic and narrative consistency of her game-changing memoir 'My New York Diary', but is still a funny and fascinating read.
Ben
Incredible. Probably people think of this as the less loved "reject" shorter strips from Dirty Plotte, but worth checking out. Rare. Wierd comics. Feminist. Incredible.
Kate
So awesome. Couldn't stop giggling.
Isaac
This is compiled from Doucet's 'Dirty Plotte' series. She makes great, heavily inked panels that alternate between dreamlike fantasies and autobiographical stories. Even better is 'My New York Diary', but this is a great place to start if you want to get into one of the best comic artists going these days.
Leah
most of the stories in this book were really great and i would've given it four stars were it not for a few really violent, fucked up stories that disturbed me.
Mark Desrosiers
Never have charming, foxy, disgusting, and nightmarish been combined in such a compelling format. Absolute classic.
oriana
Sep 12, 2011 oriana marked it as didntfinish-yet
ummm no, this book is not for me.
Jane Lanee
Jane Lanee marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Mary Burckhardt
Mary Burckhardt marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Azza A.
Azza A. marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Nuno
Nuno marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Marc
Marc added it
Jan 12, 2014
Meg Hargis
Meg Hargis marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
  • The Summer of Love
  • War's End: Profiles from Bosnia, 1995-1996
  • Love and Rockets, Vol. 5: House of Raging Women
  • The Acme Novelty Library #19
Underground cartoonist and artist, best known for her autobiographical works such as Dirty Plotte and My New York Diary.

She began cartooning in 1987. Her efforts quickly began to attract critical attention, and she won the 1991 Harvey Award for "Best New Talent".

Shortly thereafter, she moved to New York. Although she moved to Seattle the following year, her experiences in New York formed the basis
More about Julie Doucet...
My New York Diary My Most Secret Desire 365 Days The Madame Paul Affair Long Time Relationship