Start by marking “Peeping Beauty” as Want to Read:
Peeping Beauty

Peeping Beauty

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  70 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Poulette the hen wants to be a famous ballerina. Every day, she does warm-up exercises, dreams of stardom and dances her heart out.

One day, a fox appears. He tells Poulette that he's a talent scout from New York City who can help her fulfill her dreams. But does he really want to advance her career or is he more interested in eating her for dinner? Poulette finds out in a
Published December 3rd 2005 by Holiday House (first published March 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Peeping Beauty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peeping Beauty

Rae
Oct 05, 2015 Rae rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-for-k-5
Melanie
Poulette the chicken so wants to be a professional dance on the stage in New York City. When Fox comes to her one day and says he's a talent scout and would love for her to come to the City with him, Poulette is all for it. But she doesn't want to leave the farm with a stranger, especially a fox! The other hens warn her against going with the fox at any time. But Fox came back and told Poulette that he had a costume just for her and he had posters made! By now, Poulette has stars in her eyes and ...more
Kristina
Mar 10, 2016 Kristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
my daughter and I really enjoyed this book. it was short and sweet and to the point. I enjoyed reading this book and my daughter can't wait for me to read it again.
Kaitlin
What a fun story! It's an interesting play on sleeping beauty and is easily relatable to kids.
Dolly
Apr 20, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, dance, 2011
This is a fun tale about a chicken who is mislead by a crafty wolf. Her dreams of stardom are fed by this wiley character and, although she is warned by her friends, she wants desperately to believe him. The story comes to a dramatic climax, but then has a funny (and happy) ending. We enjoyed listening to this story narrated on audiocassette while we followed along with the book. We got this set as a kit from our local library and it included a paperback book with ISBN 0823411702/ISBN13 97808234 ...more
Mariely Dominguez
Poulette is a hen whom aspires to be a famous ballerina one day and refuses to listen to the other hens when they tell her all the practicing she does is a waste a time and she'll never make it. But one day an avid fox came along saying he was a talent agent and had a really good spot for her in New York. Poulette knows she shouldn't go off with a stranger, especially not a fox but he ends up convincing her and soon finds out the fox really wants her for dinner and not as a performer.
Jan 02, 2013 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, candy
"Fox tries to eat chicken" children's book genre. This chicken wants to be a famous ballerina. This fox tries to convince her that he can make her so. Little by little her defenses are worn down. Fox tries to eat her. She and her chicken friends decide that they will eat the fox instead...to scare him off.
Alana Graham
This is a book about a chicken who has always dreamed of being a dancer. She wants to achieve her dreams of being a dancer so badly that she trusts a fox to help her make a name for herself. I don't think it sends a safe message, but is good for encouraging students to always follow their dreams.
Cana
Aug 19, 2009 Cana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mommy says: Auch has rewritten a number of fairy tales from a chicken's perspective. In Peeping Beauty, as in her other books, Auch heavily loads the narrative with poultry puns. It went beyond annoying to downright distracting, to the point where I refuse to read any more of her books. Argh!
Callie Risse
Poulette wants to be a dancer more than anything, and she comes across a sly fox who uses her dream to lure her into believing him. Just like in 'Sleeping Beauty,' she is to prick her finger on a spindle, but this time the fox wants to eat her!
Kim
Oct 25, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I love Mary Jane Auch's poultry books. This is the first one I read and I still laugh whenever I read it.

themes: ballet, chickens, foxes, militant vegetarianism, self-defense
Theo kids
One of Skye's favorites! We checked it out from the library with the cd and listened to it over and over. Poultry puns galore and clever storytelling.
Collette
Apr 17, 2012 Collette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great reading even for adults lol!

Jami
Poultry puns galore.
Matilda Wormwood
Matilda Wormwood rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Sandy-Sara
Sandy-Sara marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Megan
Megan rated it it was ok
Dec 17, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
veronica
veronica rated it did not like it
Jun 18, 2015
Krystal
Krystal rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2015
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2014
Terri
Terri rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
202355
Mary Jane Auch also writes as MJ Auch.

The thought of becoming a writer never occurred to MJ Auch as a child. Her only literary efforts in those days were the plays which she and her girlfriend, Noreen, wrote for their marionettes. They produced these extravaganzas in Noreen’s garage and organized the neighborhood boys into a sales force to sell tickets and refreshments.

Summer visits to both of MJ’
More about Mary Jane Auch...