Start by marking “The Forgotten Carols: A Christmas Story and Songs” as Want to Read:
The Forgotten Carols: A Christmas Story and Songs

The Forgotten Carols: A Christmas Story and Songs

4.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,156 Ratings  ·  139 Reviews
"The Forgotten Carols" is an innovative storybook/CD about a nurse whose empty life is changed by her patient, John. As the story moves along, the characters in the novel break into song, which are included on the compact disc. Line drawings.
Published October 1st 1998 by Deseret Book Company (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Forgotten Carols, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forgotten Carols

Amy
Sep 26, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely LOVE this story! I've listened to the music every year since it came out. I've read it a few times and seen the production by Micheal McLean (totally recommend that)! My mom and dad gave each of us kids a copy of our last year for our 12 Days of Christmas...so now I have my own to cherish!
Ashley
Dec 22, 2011 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tradition for me. I have been super busy this year, but I finally read it today!

This is my favorite Christmas book. I started reading it every year when I was about 14. I would read it to my brothers, one chapter a night, and listen to the music as it came up in the book. We could never wait to start it- it usually ended up that we got one chapter ever two nights because we would start so early. I've been struggling a bit this Christmas season, wondering why I don't quite feel like it's Christma
June
Feb 08, 2008 June rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christmas lovers
I love this book, and I love the story. The music is beautiful and definitely spirit filled.

Sometimes I think this is a story of beauty and the beast, except I'm not sure who is the beauty and who is the beast. I don't know if I should classify "Connie Sue" as a beast, or a beauty who doesn't know she is, or call Uncle John a crazy old coot, or a beauty in disguise.

Have loved this book and it's music since I first saw it years ago.
Larsen
Dec 25, 2014 Larsen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For years this title has seemed to me to be another attempt to benefit commercially at Christmas time. This Christmas, when I thumbed through our stack of Christmas books, I read "About the Author" on the inside back flap of the dust jacket -- largely because the musical stage show of The Forgotten Carols has become so popular. What?!! Michael McLean "is the creator of the motion pictures Mr. Kruger's Christmas ... and Nora's Christmas Gift ... and coauthor of the allegorical oratorio The Garden ...more
Tristi
Jul 20, 2008 Tristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have seen this performed live -- incredible. I have to say, I've seen Michael McLean perform live twice, each time was at a critical juncture in my life, and each time, the Spirit touched me tremendously and gave the strength to keep moving forward. I thank Brother McLean for allowing himself to be an instrument in such a powerful way.
Delene
Oct 06, 2008 Delene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
A beautiful story written to explain Miclael McLean's CD.

The story is about an aging man who has a nurse to come and stay with him. He then puts up a tree and explains about his ornaments. The nurse then learns what Christmas is about through his stories and songs.
Elizabeth
I enjoyed this book. i gave it 3 stars instead of 4 because it was a little too contrived. I cried several times during the book but it felt like the book was written for that purpose rather than the tears being spontaneous.

Who is Uncle John anyway.
Amanda
Dec 23, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. Amazing. *sigh* such a GREAT Christmas story. It's become tradition for my dad to sing Joseph every Christmas eve while he plays guitar. Amazing songs, amazing story. Michael McLean did a spectacular job.
Kursten
Dec 09, 2008 Kursten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the beautiful and inspired songs that go along with this story and tie it all together. Songs and books like this help me to feel the Christmas spirit.
Jessica
Feb 14, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read for everyone during the holiday season. I read through it very quickly and enjoyed every page.
CarolAnn
Aug 21, 2015 CarolAnn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christmas in August? Well, it seemed a bit like it since I just finished reading a Christmas book. The reason is because it was one of the challenges for my Goodread's list. I've had the "Forgotten Carols" book (actually I have 2 copies) for years on the book shelves and have never read it. They were given to me and I never read them because they looked too sappy. Yes, it was a little sappy but I really enjoyed it. Next time, I'm going to have to find the music that accompanies the book and read ...more
Rich
Jan 01, 2010 Rich rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, music, lds
Anna Dye
Jan 14, 2010 Anna Dye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like Christmas miracles that warm the heart, this book is for you. It is the story of a humorless, thoroughly efficient professional nurse whose life is cold and friendless. She gets assigned to visit a patient in his mansion for a short while, so the family can spend Christmas in Europe. She finds the nice looking man living in a fantasy world that rocks apart all she has spent her lifetime building to protect herself.
He speaks of forgotten carols and sings them to her. Each one is brou
Debbie Williams
Jun 17, 2015 Debbie Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
A traditional Christmas story for our family. We not only have the book, the tape, the printed music, and the CD. We have gone to McLean's live play twice and enjoyed it every time. It reminds me of a Christmas version of Beauty and the Beast, where the senile, old man softens a crusty, Connie as he paints a picture of his memories of the first Christmas story. She is transformed and changes her attitude about Christmas and life in general. Loved it much!
Carianne
Dec 07, 2015 Carianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I were to describe this book in two words, those words would be "incredibly" and "cheesy". I felt like it tried way too hard to tug at the heartstrings and make you *feel* something that it missed the mark. Also, what the heck was that ending??

Having said that, I LOVE the music and would definitely go see the stage production of this if I had the chance! I am sure I will read it again :)
Mrsdove
Mar 02, 2014 Mrsdove rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It takes you through a different side of the Christmas world. Meet the man who did not let them into his inn, what did Joseph really think, what about the woman who got to hold the baby Jesus for just a few minutes? I love the book, love the music and highly recommend it.
Boyd Petersen
Oct 22, 2015 Boyd Petersen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My family reads this book and play the songs each Christmas season. It is a holiday tradition that all of my family look forward to. Now that many have gotten married and left, some still come back and other have started their own tradition of reading the Forgotten Carols each year.
Tara Lofley
Mar 13, 2014 Tara Lofley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A tradition my mom started while I was growing up was to read a chapter from Connie's story and then stand around the piano singing each song, or listening to them on CD. I loved that. Really really loved that.
Angie
Dec 27, 2012 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always like to read a Christmas book at this time of year, and since Deck the Halls by Mary Higgins Clark ended up having nothing to do with Christmas whatsoever, I grabbed this little gem from the shelf and read it on Christmas day. I was familiar with the story from having read a children's version and from seeing the musical production a number of years ago. I love the lyrics and music of the "forgotten" carols. I enjoyed the characters of Constance/Connie Lou and "Uncle John". The story ju ...more
Tessa
Jan 01, 2013 Tessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home
This one was difficult to rate because part of me really liked it and part of me really didn't like it. Most of the music is very moving, with one or two exceptions. The story line is good - original, creative - but the writing is only fair. The main character (Constance) is hard to sympathize with overall, I think - there wasn't enough time taken to develop any feeling for her so I really didn't care if she ended up redeemed or not. I did, of course, love Uncle John. The story was not very enga ...more
S.
Jan 02, 2016 S. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Christmas 2015...kids loved it.

I prefer the 1991 soundtrack that goes with the story (downloadable at deseretbook.com).
Lisa
Dec 02, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cozy feel-good Christmas story. I'm surprised I hadn't read this before. I look forward to hearing the songs that were incorporated into the book.
Ellie
Dec 15, 2014 Ellie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I really liked how Constance changed a lot. I did not like how John turned out to be a squatter.
Kara
Dec 13, 2011 Kara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the original Forgotten Carols. It is actually our Christmas tradition to read it each year. Last year I attempted to read it to the kids, but they didn't understand a lot of it and it was just too long. We found this book last year at the after Christmas sales and so this was the first time reading it. I loved it. It has four of the original carols. The stories of those carols are the same as the original. The story itself is much shorter so it help the children's attention, but the messa ...more
Shauna Thompson
Sep 09, 2014 Shauna Thompson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite Christmas Stories and Songs
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
I love this story and soundtrack!
Amanda
Dec 22, 2014 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A family favorite!!
Arianne
Dec 28, 2012 Arianne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice, feel-good story perfect for Christmas time. It deals with the emotions that many of us experience during the holiday season: love, hoping for love, feeling alone, etc. I feel like the author took too many liberties with historical figures and events in order to make his story appeal to his Christian (primarily Mormon) audience. That's something I don't like, and it's a trait I really don't like about this author in general, because he does this kind of thing in his songwriting as ...more
This is a book I probably wouldn't have picked up, but my boss thought I would like it. I liked the story line and the news articles in the end. It makes you wonder how old this man or being was and how society has changed. The age of innocence has been lost. It is hard for people to trust there neighbors anymore. Everyone has their guard up all the time now. In ways this world is not getting better, but people must never lose hope, especially this time of year.
Sheila
Nov 28, 2010 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this one aloud in the car on the way home from Colorado. It is a fun story and the kids seemed to enjoy it. It brought back memories of when Dave and I were dating and went together to see it performed while we were at BYU and of when I read it aloud during perhaps the scariest road trip I have ever been on when we drove to Pennsylvania with Doug and Christy through an ice storm on the way there and a blizzard on the way back.
  • A Christmas Dress for Ellen
  • Christmas Day in the Morning
  • The Christmas Wish
  • How Santa Got His Job
  • Hymns of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
  • A Christmas Melody (Trevor Family Saga, #4)
  • The Christmas Tree

“In all my years on earth, I have seen time and time again that those who are the happiest are those who have the courage to follow their hearts - to believe what otherwise would be unbelievable; to seek the light; to find the truth.” 37 likes