Start by marking “Cartel (Cartel, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cartel (Cartel, #1)

Cartel (Cartel #1)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  3,187 Ratings  ·  422 Reviews
The first full length Gypsy Brothers novel from the smash hit author Lili St. Germain.

How much is a life worth?

I grew up in Colombia, the daughter of a wealthy drug lord. I lived a life of extravagance, until one day a drug run went horribly wrong and everything came crashing down around us.

I was given away. A payment for a debt. The Gypsy Brothers Motorcycle Club became m
Published January 27th 2015 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Cartel, please sign up.

Lili Germain Your choice! Most people are going in having read Gypsy Brothers already, but plenty of others have gone in blind. Completely up to you and it won't…moreYour choice! Most people are going in having read Gypsy Brothers already, but plenty of others have gone in blind. Completely up to you and it won't affect your reading experience by starting with one or the other (except that you'll get some spoilers if you read Gypsy brothers first). <3
Confess by Colleen HooverNever Never by Colleen HooverHero by Samantha YoungDeep by Kylie ScottBeautiful Redemption by Jamie McGuire
2015 Romantic Releases (JANUARY to MARCH)
32nd out of 350 books — 1,767 voters
Confess by Colleen HooverNever Never by Colleen HooverBeautiful Redemption by Jamie McGuireNovember 9 by Colleen HooverThoughtful by S.C. Stephens
Most Anticipated Romances of 2015
237th out of 1,417 books — 6,265 voters

More lists with this book...

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
1.5 stars. Review posted January 18, 2015

Me before reading Cartel:

photo oie_xxs63ArBF8uV_zpszlp9jkul.gif
 photo oie_Lr5W5ICC2Msn_zpskzidah2r.gif
 photo oie_L3CZJpuRl9yT_zpslmgawumn.gif
 photo oie_4qPKSCNB4xCz_zpsw5u8rtgg.gif

As an afterthought…don't forget the challenge. I'm game.

My frame of mind after reading Cartel…

photo oie_dEzIY2zMtOVh_zpsf9arikqz.gif

…maybe because I didn't get any cookies? Just kidding. I don't need cookies anyway.

photo oie_KfYe0AtcDNNG_zpsagdxftkn.gif

Even though I'm not a seasoned dark reader, I'm familiar with that subject matter. And, if Antidote is the shocking and incredibly brutal mother and father of dark reads, then Cartel must be the innocent baby who
Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
4 stars!

Finally, a book that grabbed and kept my attention from start to finish! Because nowadays, I feel like I’m hitting a mid-book crisis where not many stories are holding my attention, or the spark of interest at the beginning just fizzles out. In any case, I really enjoyed this book! It was fast-paced, and meshed the stifling cartel atmosphere with the MC setting well. If it weren’t for real life butting in, this is a book I would’ve finished in one sitting.

Before I started this book, I w
♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥
Jan 27, 2015 ♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-for-review
Released today! Amazon US Amazon UK

Cartel is a tragic story laced with an edge of hope, darkness and the glimmer of love. It's set against backdrop of violence and depravity where drugs, human trafficking and brutal killings are considered a normal part of life and necessary elements in maintaining a powerful grip on their criminal underground world.

This is Mariana’s story. The prologue… her words…. It choked me up and took me to the edge of tears. Because of my understanding of the future, I e
4.5 STARS!

"This isn't a fairytale. I'm not your hero, Ana. Nobody is. Nobody is coming to save you."

I can't believe it took me this long to finally pick up this author's book because sign me up for more of the Gypsy Brothers! I've been seeing so many of my buddies reading that series while raving about it and truly, it does live up to its hype. When I heard Cartel can be read without firstly reading the GB series, I quickly took up the chance and jumped right into this one.

What I understand a
♥~♥Geri ~ the Racy Lit Reader ♥~♥
4 stars!

My very first Lili St. Germain book, and definitely not my last.

Cartel is the prequel to St.Germain's Gypsy Brothers series. It's about a girl who was given as a payment for his father's debts. It also follows Dornan Ross's rise to power and descent into darkness.

I was a bit nervous starting this book. I don't consider myself a dark reader especially when it comes to my romance, and I'm picky when it comes to my dark reads. Fortunately, I enjoyed this book very much. I enjoyed the writ
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤

This book is absolutely fantastic and I couldn't put it down! I was mesmerised and captivated from the first page!! I didn't know what to expect from Lili St. Germain as it's my first book of her! I have been hearing so much about her other series and I was very excited to finally read a book of her!!! And believe me, now after I finished this amazing book, I'm even more intigued to read the Gypsy Brothers!!! What I loved more about this book is the way the author connected the

One of the biggest 2014 surprises was Gypsy Brothers series by Lili St. Germain. My co-blogger at Way Too Hot Books, Purple, told me from the start that I would love it. I knew that she was probably right, but I still left those books for later. I am glad that I did, because I'd go crazy waiting for the sequels. (Seven Sons is free on Amazon, so you can always download it and see for yourself if we are obsessed with this twisted story for a good reason.)

Before Juliette Portl
I am so grossed out, it's dark disturbing and nothing happy or okay happens ... characters were flat there's no plot, "it's the father is an asshole and his son is cold hearted killer so i'll use my body to turn them against each other" cliché.

Gross, perv, asshole, twisted mother#@cker, unless you're a vampire, darling you have no reason to love and lick your blood or other people's blood, you sick bastard O_o !

i'm surprised by Mariana's fast acceptance of her new life, She went
Where It All Began

The first in the trilogy, 'Cartel' proves to be as gritty and captivating as the 'Gypsy Brothers' series. Pre-dating the events in the 'Gypsy Brothers Series', this story reveals a more human side of Dornan, back before he became the soulless monster that we all love to hate.

Times were much different then, but the foundation is being laid for events yet to pass. Of course, hindsight is 20/20. I found myself waiting for the moment when everything would change and Dornan would m
Vrsha (PeekAtMyBookReview)
Apr 14, 2015 Vrsha (PeekAtMyBookReview) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, arc

Rating : 4 ‘Forbidden Love’ Stars

My Views : Grrr that Ending was too Abrupt description If this hadn’t been an ARC I would have thought that I missed a page or something! I enjoyed this one as much as one can enjoy a book on sex-slaves! However, there are many issues that weren’t tackled in this one and I can feel that they are going to bring disaster in the next book. description

Style of writing : Stunning! description I loved the flow in the writing and the emotions that it brought out in me. The author didn’t restraint
Jan 20, 2015 ~IreneOust~ rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, buddy-read, tbr-next

My girl Nina and I will be doing a joint review of this book on the release day at The Literary Gossip Book Blog .

In the meantime, here are some of my thoughts ...

photo 45a75058-9c58-4ccb-bdee-8546cff4ca92_zps8c2fd104.jpg

I'll be completely honest ... I didn't know what to expect when I first started reading "Cartel". I don't read blurbs [usually] and judging by the cover and what I knew of Dornan from reading the first of "Gypsy Brothers" books, I went into this thinking "Cartel" was going to be a dark a disturbing read.

What I got was a love story.
Amy (Foxy)
Jan 30, 2015 Amy (Foxy) rated it really liked it
Live ->

YES! A book where two hardcore worlds, cartel and motorcycle club (mc), come together to make for a dark and gritty read.

Mariana has volunteered herself to the cartel to pay for her father’s debt. Her sacrifice spares her family from a gruesome death. When she gave her life for her families she knew her fate… being a sex slave until she’s finally brutally murdered by her “owner.”

The plot really accelerates when the cartel delivers Mariana to the mc. Dornan is t
Kim Bailey
Nov 25, 2015 Kim Bailey rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kim by: Amy (Foxy)
4.5 'I like your blood' Stars

This book disturbed me.
Not because it's dark ... no, I enjoy dark reads and have read other books that are more violent and messed up ...
I found this one disturbing because of my own reaction to the messed up violence. Because, even though I was probably supposed to be disgusted by the abuse and manipulation driving our main couple, I was actually kind of turned on & found myself routing for them to get together and fall in love. I wanted so badly to see some s
Here's something exciting to get your Boxing Day started with a bang… the FIRST CHAPTER of Cartel!!!!
Check it out on my website:

photo CartelTeaser3_zps68b378d5.jpg

It will take me a few days to organize my thoughts into anything coherent but just know this, you think you know this author, but you have NO IDEA!!! You think you know the story, but believe me, the mind fuckery has only just begun. This book BLEW. ME. AWAY!!!! This may be one of the most d

photo image.jpg1_zpsnuukxshy.jpg

"Remember? This isn't a fairytale.
I'm not your hero, Ana.
Nobody is.
Nobody is coming to save you."

Cartel is a prequel (of sorts) to the intense Gypsy Brothers saga. In this series we are able to get a better look at the notoriously evil, Dornan, before he became president of the MC, and when he stumbled into love.

The Il Sangue Cartel is ran by a devious man, Emilio Ross.
Nineteen year old, Mariana Rodriguez is very much aware of the man as her father does business with him.
When a
ARC provided by publishers in exchange of honest review

photo f863239ed6994e576d86409e9dde66_zpsockhncqh.gif

Wow...I am utterly breathless, captivated and amazed in this wickedly raw, dark, brilliant and intense book that Lili St. Germain has taken me on in her newest release Cartel. It was definitely one of the most raw, violent, dark and gritty books that I have read and I absolutely loved it. I am slapping my forehead as to why I haven’t read any of her books sooner. Ms. Lili has now my full undivided attention with her brilliant storytelling
Jan 18, 2016 Joëlle rated it really liked it
I loved this dark jewel!! Now on SALE on Amazon US (jan 18 2016) ->

I loved the “Gypsy Brothers” series so much but I still have to read the conclusion “Zero Hour”. When I read that there would be a series on Dornan and Mariana I wasn’t sure how I felt about that. As probably most of you, I couldn’t see why I would ever want to read Dornan’s story… But I remained intrigued and when I saw the opportunity to request “Kingpin” for review I just went for it!

This is the
Jan 20, 2015 ✿ rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I received an ARC via the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! !

3.5 stars!!

cartel teaser use 2

I guess I had too many high expectations when it came to Cartel. I’m not prepping you readers into thinking it’s a bad read because it’s not, I just thought it would have a much edgier, grittier, and darker feeling much like Gypsy Brother’s series. It was more of a sugared- down version-prequel, I guess you could say.

Over all, I did like this first installment of the Cartel series. While I do not for
 ⊱✿⊰ Kitty Kat's Crazy About Books ⊱✿⊰
Complimentary Copy provided by the author in exchange for an honest review

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

TITLE: Cartel
SERIES: (Cartel, #1)
AUTHOR: Lili St. Germain
GENRE: Contemporary Romance
RELEASE DATE: January 27th, 2015

I struggled on what to rate this, I'm so used to Lili St. Germain giving us the dark, gritty stomach churning walk away from your device kind of reads, this for me was too mellow, it had elements of grittiness but nothing like what you expect from this author..But not t
Jan 04, 2015 London marked it as to-read
I'm kind of confused. I looked at the blurb for book #2 and it's supposed to be Marianna and Dornan's book. We're getting a book about a gang rapist? =/ no me gusta

Update: author has mentioned to me that it's lot being classified as romance. This works much better for me. As long as his character is not being romanticized I am fine with reading it.
Susan May
Oct 14, 2015 Susan May rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I don't read this kind of book. I've never read this kind of book. Look at the cover, for Pete's sake. This is not me. I'm hard core dark thriller, science fiction, occasional mystery. So when my friend at Harper Collins handed me the sample of this book, which was about 150 pages of 300, I asked her what she expected me to do with it? Use it as a coaster.

Here's the type of dialogue in the book:

So I designated it to read-in-between-television-shows in the commercials, so that I didn't waste any
Nashoda Rose
Feb 16, 2015 Nashoda Rose rated it it was amazing
A wild ride with masterful writing that pulls you in and holds you in its grip until the very last page. Dark and gritty with powerful emotions and conflict.
I contemplated my sanity for loving a character as dark as Dornan. But I did. I didn't know him from the Gyspy Brothers series, all I know is what I’ve read in Cartel and I fell for him.
Dornan has an intense inner battle—having to be the man he is supposed to be for his father, a cruel, harsh man who ruthlessly kills and the compassionat
The Hopeless Romantics Book Blog
Review: Surj

Blog: http://thehopelessromanticsbookblog.b...

For those of you who read Lili St Germain's "Gypsy brothers Series," you'll have already made your acquaintance with a certain Mr Dornan Ross. And the chances are, you despised him from the minute you met him in the first book until you parted ways in "One love." Yup, I don't know anyone who felt an ounce of anything positive towards this man becaus
Jan 13, 2015 Salvatore marked it as no-thank-you
So, I'm confused.. If this is about Marianna & Dornan & John.. Why would I read something knowing the end of them? Yes, I'm sure that the story must be fascinating but.. I'm puzzled about the POV and the ending..

Do not read if you haven't read the Gypsy series. It will spoil Cartel for you!

(view spoiler)
Laura the Highland Hussy
Apr 06, 2016 Laura the Highland Hussy rated it did not like it
Review posted at Got Fiction?

Original Review:
Well that was awful. There are so many 5 star reviews here, that I'm shocked. I'm all for an anti-hero, but he's the bad guy, not the hero. What the hell was this? It sure wasn't a romance.

Full review:

I picked this up because another Avon Addict had mentioned how amazing it was, even though it was out of her comfort zone. I don't mind reading something different every now and again, so I grabbed it. Wow. I hated this book so much.

There's no romance.
 Sonya-❥Chatterbooks book blog ❥
4 Stars

I have had this book sitting in my library for months upon months and I can't believe that it took me so long to read this f*cked up of a book.This was exactly what I needed reading wise and I'm glad that I finally got around to it.

Mariana is the daughter of a Colombian drug lord so growing up she knew the life and she knew when danger was approaching.She learns very quickly that everything, and I mean EVERYTHING is about to change.Finding out that her father owes a crap ton
This book is DARK, DISTURBING, INTENSE and VIOLENT. It is NOT for the weak at heart. There were some scenes that had me squinting as I read. (like when you watch a scary movie with your hands in front of your face, while peaking through the cracks your fingers make…) This is about a drug cartel and a Motorcycle Club…where drug use, murders and violence are the norm and in the case of this book, so is human trafficking.

Mariana Rodriguez is a spitfire, full of strength and courage. She stood in p
This novel left me aching, hurting, longing, hoping and wanting for more.

I started reading this book with the Gypsy Brothers series in the back of my mind hating Emilio and Dornan with every fiber of my being.

Marianna I may have hated her sassy mouth spitting fire at times, but I admire her braveness. And how she used her intelligence and herself to save her family and to survive.
“I was somebody else.
Somebody who did whatever it took to ensure she survived.
Blood and violence and fucking and pai
 ~*~Princess Nhya~*~
Apr 04, 2015 ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, scary, and heartbreaking. Definitely going to need a breather before I finish this trilogy.

Intense doesn't even begin to cover this one.
Jan 23, 2015 MandaLee rated it it was amazing
Review to come!
ARC provided by Author

I respect the HELL out of this girlie!! And can't wait for this release to talk about Cartel and DORNAN.....
Does it have a HEA? 3 26 Jul 19, 2015 02:38PM
Bargain Basement: $25 Amazon Gift Card & Swag Pack 1 12 Jan 27, 2015 05:09AM
  • Hard Roads
  • My Masters' Nightmare Season 1, Ep. 2 "Discovered" (My Masters' Nightmare, #2)
  • Show the Fire (Signal Bend, #6)
  • Captive (New Life, #1)
  • Kick (Savage Saints MC, #1)
  • Ruthless (Dragons MC, #1)
  • Hell's Kitchen (Hell's Kitchen, #1)
  • Loving Angel 3
  • Facade (Deception, #1)
  • Filthy 2 (Filthy, #2)
  • Lilith (Lucifer's Legion Motorcycle Club #1)
  • Joseph Fallen (The Estate, #0.5)
  • Deliver (Deliver, #1)
  • The Golden Chalice (Lee's Girls, #3)
Lili writes dark, disturbing romance. Her #1 bestselling Gypsy Brothers series was created in a serial format – quick, intense episodes released frequently with some wicked cliffhangers. The Gypsy Brothers series focuses on a morally bankrupt biker gang and the girl who seeks her vengeance upon them. The Cartel series is a prequel trilogy of full-length novels that explores the beginnings of the c ...more
More about Lili St. Germain...

Cartel (3 books)
  • Kingpin (Cartel, #2)
  • Empire (Cartel, #3)

“Our fate lies in the hands of the things we love, and sometimes the things we love are the things that lead us to the destruction of ourselves.
r.m. drake”
“But he wasn’t an ordinary man. Somehow I already knew this from our brief interaction earlier. He didn’t avert his eyes or stay away from me.” 1 likes