Start by marking “Anger” as Want to Read:
Anger

Anger (Τα Επτά Θανάσιμα Αμαρτήματα #3)

Heated words, cool malice, deadly feuds, the furious rush of adrenaline-anger is clearly the most destructive of the seven deadly sins. It can ruin families, wreck one's health, destroy peace of mind and, at its worst, lead to murder, genocide, and war.
In Anger, Robert A. F. Thurman, best-selling author and one of America's leading authorities on Buddhism and Eastern phil
Published November 15th 2004 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Anger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anger

Sarah T.
A very short, thoughtful book about anger from the Buddhist perspective. Man, I wish I had the discipline to enact its advice in my daily life. I like how it says how the energy of anger, once transcended, can be put to better use in more creative ways that benefit your family, your community, the world, etc. at large. That's a really great message. I'm not doing the book justice but it was a quick read and the information was easy to digest, even for a simpleton like me.
Jhana
Mar 24, 2009 Jhana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A more hands-on approach than some of the Dalai Lama's writing to dealing with the maya, or illusions that keep us unhappy, and the way we work ourselves up about things we can't control.
Oliver Brackenbury
If you aren't a fan of reading Buddhist philosophy, don't read this.
Colleen Wainwright
I rather preferred the first half of the book, which drew from sources besides the Dhammapada (note to self: must read Seneca!), and which spends more time discussing anger-as-sin (Western view) vs. anger-as-addiction (buddhist view), probably because I am an angry, unenlightened Westerner filled with bafflement and self-loathing, looking for easy answers, feeling unsteady on ground that is spongy and foreign and that requires me to give up my me-ness. Still, quite a good overview on the useless ...more
Jon Anderson
Apr 08, 2014 Jon Anderson rated it did not like it
Shelves: vices
A Buddhist's take in this series on the seven deadly sins. Just not much help here, though it does give some insight into Buddhism. Very condescending to Christianity in that the author sees every good thought in Christianity (which are few)as having been developed by Buddha 2,000 years previous. Disappointing series in general so far (though volume on envy was very good)but that probably has a good deal with my expectation that it would be an exploration of the seven deadly sins from a Christia ...more
L
Feb 15, 2011 L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: understanding
This is an easy and quite interesting (dare I say "enlightening"?) read. The first half of the book is an interesting dissertation on definition and philosophies about anger. The second half isn't as on target because it becomes more of a lecture on Buddhist precepts, which was interesting but I didn't feel flowed with the series concept. Nonethelss, he brings both halves together in a brief summary on anger at the end.

I'm glad I read it and there a a lot of little tid bits that will stick in m
Melissa
Mar 25, 2008 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Definitely not what I was expecting, based on the other books I've read in this series. A lengthy Buddhist meditation on removing anger from your life... you would probably enjoy this if you like reading about spirituality, which I unfortunately do not.
Chris
Oct 27, 2008 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't get good until halfway into it. Was interesting seeing the difference between the way christians and buddhists view anger. Dealing w/current state and the future of ones actions.
Tara
Jun 12, 2011 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Thurman presents western and eastern views of anger with well reasoned arguments (mostly from the eastern side) regarding overcoming the grip.
Julieta
Jan 21, 2009 Julieta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have anger issues, you may find the book helpful. Not sure why else you would read it unless you
want to gain insight into helping others deal with anger.

mukatembok Periphery
Jan 16, 2008 mukatembok Periphery rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to mukatembok by: souvignier

Dia menaruhnya di mejaku ketika saya sedang dibuat keal oleh ketololannya. Ternyata lumayan juga buat sedikitnya nurunin panas kepala.
Bill Dachtler
Bill Dachtler rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2013
Damira Davletyarova
It was good to do some soul&body cleansing this summer!
Ben
Ben rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2014
Russell Williamson
Russell Williamson rated it liked it
May 30, 2015
Berit
Berit rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2008
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Apr 16, 2009
lindsay
lindsay rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2009
Clay
Clay rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2014
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2008
William
William rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Orion
Orion rated it it was ok
Jan 25, 2014
James Hughes
James Hughes rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2015
Dr. Parker Wilson
Dr. Parker Wilson rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2009
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2008
James
James rated it it was ok
Dec 15, 2014
Wilma Rebstock
Wilma Rebstock rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2013
David R.
David R. rated it it was ok
Jan 19, 2012
Helen Carter
Read as part of an IDproject course on Anger
Siobhan
Siobhan rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Lust
  • Greed
  • Envy
  • Sloth: The Seven Deadly Sins (New York Public Library Lectures in Humanities)
  • Gluttony
  • The Zen Path Through Depression
  • Orange County: A Personal History
  • Transforming the Mind: Teachings on Generating Compassion
  • The Raft is Not the Shore: Conversations toward a Buddhist/Christian Awareness
  • Meeting Faith: The Forest Journals of a Black Buddhist Nun
  • A Brief History of Anxiety...Yours and Mine
  • Buddha Standard Time: Awakening to the Infinite Possibilities of Now
  • Secret of the Vajra World: The Tantric Buddhism of Tibet
  • A Symphony in the Brain: The Evolution of the New Brain Wave Biofeedback
  • Virtue and Vice: A Dictionary of the Good Life
  • Rediscovering Values: On Wall Street, Main Street, and Your Street: A Moral Compass for the New Economy
  • While They Slept: An Inquiry Into the Murder of a Family
  • Alone with Others: An Existential Approach to Buddhism
206914
Tenzin Robert Thurman is the Jey Tsong Khapa Professor of Indo-Tibetan Buddhist Studies at Columbia University, holding the first endowed chair of Buddhist Studies in the United States. He is the author of the bestseller Inner Revolution, as well as Anger, Infinite Life, and other popular books. He is also a translator of Tibetan texts. He serves as co-founder and president of Tibet House US, a no ...more
More about Robert A.F. Thurman...

Τα Επτά Θανάσιμα Αμαρτήματα (7 books)
  • Greed
  • Lust
  • Envy
  • Gluttony
  • Pride
  • Sloth: The Seven Deadly Sins (New York Public Library Lectures in Humanities)