Doom Patrol, Vol. 5: Magic Bus

Doom Patrol, Vol. 5: Magic Bus (Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol #5)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  755 ratings  ·  31 reviews
In the 1960s, they were DC Comics' misfit super-heroes, a team of borderline freaks who secretly banded together against evil. The team was brought back in 1989 by Grant Morrison, renowned writer of JLA and The Invisibles, who reinvented them as disaffected heroes up against a parade of absurdist villains.
Published April 1st 2007 by Vertigo (first published January 31st 2007)

Sesana
If only all exposition storylines were this well done! Yes, Magic Bus is mostly occupied with putting all of the pieces into play for what will follow in the next volume. But it's just so good that I don't mind at all. Much is fleshed out, but even more is left in the shadows. The cliffhanger at the end is unbelievably bold. Where does Doom Patrol go from here? I couldn't even guess. It's like Morrison casually threw a grenade on the property. In a good way.

And then there's Doom Patrol #53, a de...more
J.
This volume starts off by finishing the Brotherhood of Dada plotline from the previous volume. This brotherhood is a great set of villains--weird in all the perfect Morrison ways--but I never could figure out their plan this time. What exactly is their goal here? This also introduces the bizarre and intriguing Yankee Doodle, who has almost no impact on the plot; hopefully, he returns, or I'll have no idea why he was even introduced.

Following this, we get an homage to those old Lee/Kirby comics,...more
Ben Brackett
The first half of the novel is mostly one-shots and short story arcs, which I wasn't so fond of. Morrison is great in his ability to focus the weird in intricate long story arcs and these really not advance the characters at all, which is the true center of the doom patrol books.

However, the second half is the start to a really incredible in the series, and I'm really disappointed the novel was over just at the reveal. Can't wait to read the next.
Sam
This is the one where Grant Morrison shows that he's the biggest comic book fan in the world. And at the same time, one of the most inventive writers in general.

After the inevitable fall of the new Brotherhood of Dada, he and artist Ken Steacy do a one-off Kirby knock-off in issue 53, totally taking the piss out of the absurdly serious issues that came before or are yet to come.

The rest of this trade goes by quick, revealing a lot about the characters that you've come to get closer and closer to...more
Patrick Hudson
I think I preferred this to the last one, but that maybe because I'm getting more used to the diverse tone and a little more tolerant of its wild experimental tendency.

It occurred to me while reading this volume that Doom Patrol is Morrison trying out different approaches and techniques. There's the broad satire of the 'Nobody for President' story line, the surrealistic character-based stories of Crazy Jane and Rebis, zany genre parody as in Flex Mentallo and the story in this volume '- and men...more
Raj
This is very much a book of two halves. The first half continues with the strange, almost whimsical, feel that has characterised Doom Patrol up until now. The first story finishes the story of the reformed Brotherhood of Dada and the Doom Patrol's attempts to stop them, while dealing with internal strife. The second is a hilarious Stan Lee/Jack Kirby-style re-imagining of the Doom Patrol, complete with imaginary references to previous issues. The third story is a very odd one that follows Rebis...more
Lloyd
This is another fantastic volume to follow the sheer brilliance we saw Grant Morrison exhibit in Volume 4 ("Musclebound") of his run on Doom Patrol.

Here (in Volume 5: "Magic Bus") he pays tribute to Ken Kesey (and the Who?), throws darts at the American political system, honors Jack Kirby through the dreams of a transvestite street, shows us the birth of one mystrious being through the deaths of two others, and winds all this around his usual themes of the occult and counter-culture.

Morrison al...more
The Book Geek
I usually like weird and Strange tales, but this was too much. It seemed like it was trying too hard to be surreal and trippy that it was just annoying. I hate to judge the whole series on this one volume but I don't think I will read any more.

Aaron
Even when Morrison writes mostly set-up, he does it in a mindbending and entertaining way. The anticlimactic conclusion of the Brotherhood of Dada's bid for the presidency fits completely with the themes the chaotic, anarchist group seeks to enforce on humanity. Meaningless silliness is ultimately defeated by meaningless silliness. It's pretty great. The rest of the volume focuses on setting the storyline pitting the Doom Patrol against "the Candlemaker," some sort of evil monster that remains u...more
MIke
I'll write this review for all the volumes of "Doom Patrol."

Definitely my favorite work of comic fiction, "Doom patrol" combines every aspect of art into one amazing pill. A superhero team that combats the forces of surreal art, surreal physics and surreal mysticism while maintaining a comedic edge. More than anything else, "Doom patrol" solidified the place of adult comics that dealt not only in hard-boiled violence, but in complex themes and structures that rivals, (and surpasses), most other...more
Gavin
OK, this was by far the most consistently entertaining Doom Patrol Volume yet. The stories all run together, make sense (in Doom Patrol terms) and develop and advance the characters and their stories quite a bit. There's also some interesting philosophy in there that's far closer to the surface that it's been in past volumes, regarding free speech, individualism, perfection, evil etc, etc. All in all, very satisfying and enough happens to leave the book on a cliffhanger and the reader wanting th...more
Matt
This volume's great, if only for the Kirby pastiche that comes in the middle. It's a great send-up of the classic Fantastic Four story, "This Man...This Monster!" that lampoons (lovingly) an already great story in a hilarious way.

The other stories include a conclusion to the Brotherhood of Dada story, Crazy Jane finally coming to terms with herself, and the Chief revealing his dastardly plan, all in a fashion that's slightly lacking in terms of plot propulsion, considering how little there is le...more
Ryan
I lied, I continued reading. I really disliked the first arc, which sees Mr. Nobody run for president. It's pretty repetitive.

The Jack Kirby homage doesn't work. Neither does the Aenigma Regis chapter, which reminds me of Alan Moore's Blue Heaven chapter of Swamp Thing. But the Regis chapter is too abstracted and fragmented to really be successful.

However, the build-up to the final villain is great.
Reed
ok, I have all these in their original format, so I'm not sure exactly which issues comprise which graphic novel, but it looks like this is where Mr. Nobody shows up.

Ahh, Mr. Nobody. Herr Niemand. A perfect and wonderful character... this is truly Grant Morrison firing on all cylinders. I don't do spoilers, but I will say that the sense of wonder that accompanies this "villain" borders on overwhelming.
Erin
A robot, a sentient street, and a super-powered chick with MPD walk into a bar...

Seriously, Grant Morrison is a total conspiracy theorist nut, and I love it. Why only 3 stars? Because sometimes I think he lets the weirdness get away with him, and because the big secret revealed at the end of this arc is sort of anticlimatic.
Shannon Appelcline
The Brotherhood of Dada stories that kick things off are Morrison Doom Patrol at its best, but then we get the largely incoherent Rebis issue and the funny by irrelevent JLA satire. Things only pick up again in the last couple of issues, where the Candlemaker and the Chief’s stories once more knock it out of the park.
Donald Armfield
We get the origins of Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol. From the magic bus of the enemies The Brotherhood of DADA that lets out a hallucinogen drug when it is driven down the road. Has to be one of the best in series. Crazy Jane's chapter is great. Eager to read the last in series I believe. But sad if it is.
Christian
More genius from Grant Morrison's surreal period. Who else can skip from a psychedelic call to revolution with the Brotherhood of DADA to a perfect Jack Kirby/Fantastic Four pastiche to a horrifying exploration of the trauma of rape to Claremontian superhero soap opera? Doom Patrol is heinous, as always.
Travis
This is when the weirdness started to get away with Grant and overwhelm the story.

Still some great moments, Danny the street has to be right up there on my list of great super hero headquarters, but there was a lot of weird just for the heck of it and too many 'aren't I clever!' bits.

Bob Foster
Brilliant reintroduction of the Brotherhood of Dada. Definitely went places with the Chief where there's no going back. The most drastic redefinition of a character since Alan Moore had the Joker turn Barbara Gordon into a paraplegic. Very much a Grant Morrison creation.
Craig
The most humane, character-centered gonzo superhero book I'll ever read. It is simply the best thing Morrison has ever done. The return of the Brotherhood is not one of my favorite stories, but the rest of this volume is jaw-droppingly tense.
Eric
Grant Morrison reinvented the Doom Patrol, and what a great job he did. This is must-read material for anyone who likes quirky science fiction, great storytelling and great art. Be sure and read all the volumes that Morrison wrote.
Keith Davis
The vast majority of American citizens vote for Nobody in each election, so when will the will of the people prevail and Nobody be sworn in as president? And while we are at it, who was Number None?
Alex
This one went to crazy lengths that even I wasn't prepared for, but I guess that's why I enjoy this series so much. There is literally no way to predict what happens next at any given point.
Ian
Well, that certainly went a little crazy, even for this series.
Brendan
a bus powered by albert hoffman's bicycle... genius.
Erin
Danny the Street makes my heart sing. In Palare.
Nadia
I'm going to be honest I did not see that coming.
Trey
Too psychedelic and weird for me.
Adam
  • Enigma
  • Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Vol. 3
  • Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E., Vol. 2: I Kick Your Face
  • Sandman Mystery Theatre, Vol. 1: The Tarantula
Scottish comic book author Grant Morrison is known for culture-jamming and the constant reinvention of his work. He is known for his nonlinear narratives and countercultural leanings in his runs on titles including DC Comics' Animal Man, Batman, JLA, The Invisibles, Action Comics, All-Star Superman, and Doom Patrol, and Marvel Comics' New X-Men and Fantastic Four. Many of these are controversial,...more
More about Grant Morrison...
Batman: Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on Serious Earth All-Star Superman, Vol. 1 We3 Batman and Robin, Vol. 1: Batman Reborn All-Star Superman, Vol. 2