Start by marking “Never Call Retreat: Lee and Grant: The Final Victory (Gettysburg, #3)” as Want to Read:
Never Call Retreat: Lee and Grant: The Final Victory (Gettysburg, #3)

Never Call Retreat: Lee and Grant: The Final Victory (Gettysburg #3)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  610 ratings  ·  33 reviews
The New York Times bestselling authors of Gettysburg continue their inventive series with this remarkable answer to the great "what-if" of the American Civil War:

After his great victories at Gettysburg and Union Mills, General Robert E. Lee's attempt to bring the war to an end by attacking Washington, D.C., fails. However, in securing Washington, the remnants of the valian
Published April 3rd 2007 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Never Call Retreat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Call Retreat

Victor Orozco
Exceptional! Many thanks to the author for such a wonderful story. Continuing from where the last novel left off. Ulysses S. Grant takes his newly formed command to face off Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. From here on in Newt Gingrich expands on what might have happened if the Confederacy had won what was originally the Union victory at Gettysburg.

After the victory on the first day of Gettysburg becoming a withdraw leading to the overwhelming victory at Union Mills. Lee's army is str
Brett Sorge
Good reading, but I don't like this alternative view of history. Somehow this bothers me knowing the facts are far different.
Jim Smith
In this book, the authors’ epic reworking of the 1863 Gettysburg Campaign is brought to an enthralling and highly believable conclusion. One of the standard criticisms of alternate history is something along the lines of ’Why bother with this stuff when there’s so much real histtory out there?’ The answer to that one is that the best alternate history reads like it really could have happened that way. The protagonists’ choices are those that were open to their real-life selves. This book certain ...more
Ted
I must say that like the other two in this series it is completely believable an very entertaining. I was given the middle book in the series, Grant Comes East. Once I started it I had to get on Amazon and get the other two. At some point I will pick up more of Newt's historical fiction. My only disappointment is the death of so many that really survived. Guess that is countered by those who now lived in his revision.
Rick
This was a very good conclusion to the alternate timeline based on the fact that Lee was not defeated at Gettysburg and had succeeded at Union Mills.
The book was an intriguing look at the way things could have unfolded had such an event happened.
George Nap
Popcorn, light reading and fun, not much substance.
Jim
The third and last book in the fictional Civil War trilogy. Grant finally moves his newly-formed army to go after Lee. He has planned his strategy well, even though there are those who thought to undermine his plans. Lincoln finally removes all political obstacles and the final battles get underway.

This book is all action and impossible to put down. Will Grant defeat Lee and end the war...or will Lee win...or will the war go on and on.

Sit back and enjoy.

I loved all three books and look foreward
Anthony
A review by Anthony T. Riggio of Never Call Retreat: Lee and Grant: The Final Victory
I read all three in this series of "Alternative History" and found the first two fascinating reading and all three were page turners. The last, however left me with more issues that I could not resolve. The end result was as expected. Lee surrenders. I could accept all of the alternative presentations and battles but I could not accept George Armstrong Custer being killed in a battle. What will happen at the "L
Ross
A little disappointed that in changing history at Gettysburg, the authors saw fit to end the Civil War pretty much exactly the way it did in our history books. What's the point in "what-if"ing a watershed moment like Gettysburg if it has no discernable impact on the events that followed? Also disappointed that they chose to leave us hanging regarding the rest of Lincoln's presidency, particularly the question of whether he survived it or not. Now THAT would have been some alternate history!
BJ Rose
In this heart-rending conclusion to their alternative-history Civil War trilogy, the authors show the political intrigue and actions that create the environment in which commanders and soldiers must fight a war, and which helps decide which army will be victorious.

In reading this trilogy, I often found myself googling names & battles to see whether what I was reading was factual, semi-factual, or completely fictional - and in the process, got an excellent history lesson.
Joe Davoust
Written like a Civil War history book, it's a bit confusing especially if you know some of the real facts. This is revisionist history and while I've read many books in this genre, this one was so close to what really happened, it made me wonder why bother. I would have enjoyed a narrative of real Civil War events, even a novelized version, much more than this.
But it does get stars for being well written and, though a bit confusing, still entertaining.
Justin
A fitting conclusion to a stellar trilogy. The only gripe I have is that, knowing Gingrich was "co-author", you knew the ending. As a politician with eyes on the presidency, there was no way he would be associated with any written work that had the Confederacy winning the Civil War. But overall, a great series and a great trilogy.
Adam West
Please see my review for Gettysburg, by the same authors. This was the third and finally book in a trilogy that began with the aforementioned book.

I thought this book offered a sobering reality check about the Civil War and how it would have ended if Lee had won the Battle of Gettysburg.
J.T. Kalnay
The third book in the trilogy that started with Gettysburgh. The author really gets into the heads of Lee and Grant and the other major figures about which we've read so much. They are in different places doing the same thing with the same resources. Really interesting alternative history.
Matt Duval
Perfect ending to the trilogy that started with the Confederacy's victory at Gettysburg. I wondered how they would have the Civil War end, and the ending was not only believable, but the writing made it that much more dramatic.
CV Rick
I don't have much more to add other than my boredom with the cliches of valorous soldier and altruistic commander. It grew tiring to read a book written by fans of Robert E Lee who think he was perfect and could do no wrong.
Margaret
Not as good ss the first 2 in the series - far more military strategy detail. Ending was a version of the real war end, though earlier and at a different location. So not as "altered" as the first 2 books.
Dan
Sep 18, 2012 Dan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Dan by: read earlier ones
I enjoyed this continuation of these writers fictional accounts of what might have happened if Lee had not charged on the third day of Gettysburg.

They give a good picture of what Civil War battles were like.
Vicki
OK. NOW I know it is an alternate history NOVEL, third in a series. It was so long, I wish I would have know; I just wanted to know more about the real war. I got very confused.....

Burt
Third and final book of the trilogy. An okay ending, but from a military perspective, the plausibility is all but lost. Still, in all, it was an enjoyable conclusion to the series.
Paul
The first of this GREAT civil war sci-fi type book show all sorts of historical societies and how they would operate if they exisited at the same time.
Len Dyer
enjoyable to the end. solidified that given similar situations the end of the war would have similar outcomes
Cindy
This was fun to listen to. The reader was so great you almost forgot who was going to win the war.
Katy
Sep 06, 2013 Katy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hubby-book
This is actually one of my husband's books, but I'll probably try to read it at some point, too.
Brian
Loved it.

These Newt Gingrich alternative histories make for a good read.
Leonard
Lee attacks Washington. Interesting read. Not as good as Getysburg.
Dick
Third of Bruce Catton's three-book trilogy. A must-read for Civil War buffs!
Bill Powers
Highly recommend Newt's historical fiction series - both Civil War and WWII
Dmcconkey
An alternative history novel – third of a trilogy – excellent read
Conley
A refreshing perspective on the Civil War from the inside out.
  • The Glorious Cause
  • 1862
  • Lee
  • Southern Storm
  • General James Longstreet: The Confederacy's Most Controversial Soldier
  • Fox on the Rhine
  • Look Away (U.S. Civil War, #1)
  • Cain at Gettysburg
  • All for the Union: The Civil War Diary & Letters of Elisha Hunt Rhodes
  • Chancellorsville
  • Glory Road
Newton Leroy "Newt" Gingrich (born Newton Leroy McPherson) is an American politician who served as the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives from 1995 to 1999. In 1995, Time magazine selected him as the Person of the Year for his role in leading the Republican Revolution in the House, ending 40 years of the Democratic Party being in the majority. During his tenure as Speaker, he re ...more
More about Newt Gingrich...
Gettysburg (Gettysburg, #1) To Try Men's Souls (Revolutionary War, #1) Pearl Harbor: A Novel of December 8th (Pearl Harbor, #1) Grant Comes East (Gettysburg, #2) Valley Forge (Revolutionary War, #2)