Start by marking “A 30-Minute Instaread Summary - The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics” as Want to Read:

PLEASE NOTE: This is a summary of the book and NOT the original book. The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown - A 30-minute Instaread SummaryInside this Instaread Summary: - Overview of the entire book
- Introduction to the important people in the book
- Summary and analysis of all the chapters in the book
- Key Takeaways of the book
- A Reader's Perspective

Preview of this
Published May 14th 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published May 13th 2014)

Woody
Jul 09, 2015 Woody rated it it was amazing
This book deserves the accolades it has received. Although I never watched a rowing race or had much curiosity about them, I found the descriptions of the races in this book riveting. It is so much more than a rowing book, though. It also more than touches on the history of Nazi Germany as told through the Olympics they hosted, and is a great story about a Washington kid from a rough-and-tumble background and a dysfunctional family who nonetheless becomes a star rower on the Husky crew, ...more
Jeanne Russell
Jul 23, 2014 Jeanne Russell rated it really liked it
To me this was the perfect non-fiction book. It was a about a topic and timeframe that I knew very little about, the lead-in the 1936 Olympic games in Germany. It was extremely well written. Dan Brown captures life in depression era Washington state in an accessible way. I loved learning about these people and admired their grit and determination. I really loved this book and did not expect to.
Ridgerunnerhollow
Jan 20, 2015 Ridgerunnerhollow rated it it was amazing
Boys in the Boat is a good story told well. This is the best book I have read in several years, and the content is true. The author even posted his notes and sources on a website. This is one of the few books I have read that I would like to see made in to a movie.
Donna
Sep 03, 2014 Donna rated it did not like it
Way too much detail.
Pat
Jun 01, 2015 Pat rated it it was amazing
Exceptional book! In a beautiful interweaving of material from diaries, newspaper articles, biographies, obituaries, and book sources on rowing, the Olympics, the men, this book by Daniel Brown captures the pain and thrill of participating and winning in the 1936 Olympic Games in Germany. It captures what is the true American spirit and what comes of true collaboration. It is an inspiring, exhilarating read!
Jeanne
Oct 13, 2014 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Daniel James Brown did a good job writing this book. Before I started it I was wondering if I would be able to finish a book about rowing but he brought the characters alive. You felt their pain and achievements. His descriptions of the rowing races were exciting. I could picture what was happening probably better than if I had been there. His descriptions put everything in slow motion.

This picked as a staff book club read by a rower herself.
Pat
Dec 15, 2014 Pat rated it really liked it
If you are interested in crewing at all this IS the book for YOU! I had no idea what a rigorous sport it is! WOW! Set in the late 1920s and 30s, it tells the story of a coaches quest to find and train 9 rowers for the 1936 Berlin Olympics amid all of the trials and tribulations of that time period. Recommended by one of my book club readers - GOOD rec, Sarah!!!!
Kyra
Sep 15, 2014 Kyra rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Nancy Wood
I loved reading this book for the wonderful story of the 9 boys in the boat but also of the history of America in the 1920's & 30's. The recession, the dust bowl, etc. Before reading this book and little to no knowledge of the sport of rowing and now would love to watch a race in Washington State. It's on my bucket list.
Daryl-lynn Essig
Jun 01, 2014 Daryl-lynn Essig rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book of perseverance, courage, learning to trust and go beyond yourself. A look at the rough times during the 30's along with the story of the nine boys (young men) who made up the 1936 "crew" that won gold at the Olympics that were held in Germany. Also, a little bit of information about how Germany "fooled" the world.

I would highly recommend this book.
Christine
Aug 20, 2014 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like a good race it certainly builds towards the end, and although early on in the book the author takes you pretty deep into the biographies of each of the rowers, it's not unrewarding, since his research and writing is pretty pleasant. I've always been fascinated with rowing, so this was an especially fun summer read.
Shannon
Oct 28, 2014 Shannon rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story very much. The writing was wonderful and the story was fascinating. I enjoyed the descriptions of boats, scenery and also the people. I learned quite a bit about rowing and loved how the boys became so connected to each other to accomplish so much. It was impressive that they continued those relationships throughout their lives.
Jean
Jun 21, 2016 Jean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read the Novel

I purchased this summary because I read the novel for a book club read. I'd read the novel weeks before the meeting and wanted to refresh my knowledge of the characters and themes.
This summary certainly helped, but I do not think you can really appreciate the 5-star quality of the novel by reading just the summary.
Kate Donnelly
Mar 18, 2015 Kate Donnelly rated it it was amazing
Outstanding! It has it all-warmth, tension and drama. The people were admirable, and yet so human. I was sorry when it ended.
Gin
Feb 04, 2015 Gin rated it really liked it
Really liked The Boys in the Boat. Felt the tugs on Joe Rant's life; liked the juxtaposition of history and the crew cultures, east and west coast.
Jamie
Apr 12, 2016 Jamie rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The writing was beautiful and inspiring. It left me in tears even though I already knew what the result would be! What an uplifting read.
Kira Martin
Mar 06, 2015 Kira Martin rated it it was amazing
WOW - very exciting to read about the races; the history of Joe Rantz and his family, the coaches, other crew members, the time period. Loved it.
Brock Spore
Jun 12, 2014 Brock Spore rated it it was amazing
Amazing detail and this author takes you to Seattle, 1933, Great Depression, Nazi Germany. Highly, highly recommended.
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2014
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Tobi Bos
Tobi Bos rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2014
Jeannine
Jeannine rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2014
Josephine B Howe
Josephine B Howe rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2015
John Pledger
John Pledger rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2015
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Ginger
Ginger rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2015
Kimberly Muscara
Kimberly Muscara rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2015
Ginny
Ginny rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2014
J Zouck
Nov 23, 2014 J Zouck rated it it was amazing
Loved the book and look forward to a movie.
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2014
Teacatweaves
Apr 23, 2015 Teacatweaves rated it it was amazing
Very inspiring. Learned more about crew than I thought I would ever understand.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Prince Edward
  • Hot Plastic
  • Gone
  • Ceridwen of Kilton (Circle of Ceridwen Saga #2)
  • Calling Crow: Book One of the Southeast Series
  • Christine/The Shining/Cujo
  • The Complete Poems of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Young Readers Edition
  • Pasta, Poppy Fields and Pearls
  • A Collection of Beatrix Potter Stories
  • Seneca Falls Inheritance (Glynis Tryon, #1)
  • A Perfect Union: Dolley Madison and the Creation of the American Nation
  • Heat Wave
  • The Maul and the Pear Tree
  • Woodsburner
  • Lies My Teacher Told Me About Christopher Columbus: What Your History Books Got Wrong
  • House of Belonging
  • The Red Scream
With Instaread, you can get the summary and analysis of a book in 15 minutes. We read every chapter, summarize and analyze it for your convenience.
More about Instaread Summaries...