Shades of Gray

Shades of Gray

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published May 12th 1988 by Ballantine Books (first published May 21st 1987)

The Shining by Stephen KingThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensGhost Story by Peter StraubHeart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Ghost Stories
156th out of 666 books — 980 voters
Dracula by Bram StokerI Am Legend and Other Stories by Richard MathesonThe Exorcist by William Peter BlattyGhost Story by Peter StraubRosemary's Baby by Ira Levin
Best Horror Books by People Other Than Stephen King
342nd out of 645 books — 772 voters

More lists with this book...

Katherine
I first read "Shades of Gray" when it first came out in paperback in the late '80s - and read it and re-read it many times. One of the few ghost stories I've ever really liked, and I always thought it a shame that it went out of print. I found out in June that it was returning as an ebook, and have been eagerly looking forward to downloading it on my Kindle.

"Shades of Gray" is a tightly plotted, character-driven story with memorable characters like Sam and Maggie, Liam and Track. It's thoughtful...more
G.k. Fields
Best ghost story I have read. Something is haunting West Point. It's up to three officer instructors from B.S.&L. (Behavioral sciences & Leadership -- AKA Bull Sh__& Lies) divsion to explore the problem and solve it. People shooting at them they're used to but this --!
GCB-LovesGoodBooks
Really quite wonderful and scary ghost story.
Katherine

Naomi
Read my full review: http://bit.ly/1i9Zhan

My opinion: Probably one of the most unusual ghost stories I have ever read. I must admit that it did take me a bit of time to get into it due to the constant military reference, as I mostly read the typical haunted house, particulary from the English moor ghost stories.

Once I got into the flow of this book, I whipped through it because it was so engrossing.
Debby
My brother graduated from West Point in 1990 and told me about this book. The author was an instructor of his. Very credible scary account of hauntings on this historic campus.
Helen
I enjoyed the story, but all the psycho babble got in the way and made it quite a hard read!
Rene
great ghost story
Benita Applejacks
Benita Applejacks marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Valancourt Books
Valancourt Books marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Kirstin
Kirstin marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Eve
Eve marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Tony Entrekin
Tony Entrekin marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Becka
Becka marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Redri9hthand
Redri9hthand marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Robb
Robb added it
Jan 11, 2014
Crysrhea
Crysrhea marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2013
Pamela Kern
Pamela Kern marked it as to-read
May 05, 2013
JW Ellis*
JW Ellis* marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2013
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2013
notyourmonkey
notyourmonkey marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2013
Phil
Phil marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2013
Minerva
Minerva marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2013
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Patience is rewarded 1 2 Apr 03, 2014 09:24AM
Tim O'Neill served in the United States Army for twenty-six years, from Viet Nam through Desert Storm, and was a member of the permanent faculty at West point for fifteen years. He is a recognized expert in applied camouflage, and holds multiple patents in the field. He has been a business executive, a defense consultant, and trained foreign special operations soldiers in the Arab Emirates.

He is t...more
More about Timothy R. O'Neill...
Individuated Hobbit Mandala