Start by marking “Shades of Gray” as Want to Read:
Shades of Gray

Shades of Gray

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  29 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published May 12th 1988 by Ballantine Books (first published May 21st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Shades of Gray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shades of Gray

The Shining by Stephen KingThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensGhost Story by Peter StraubHeart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Ghost Stories
259th out of 910 books — 1,522 voters
Dracula by Bram StokerThe Exorcist by William Peter BlattyI Am Legend and Other Stories by Richard MathesonThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonThe Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris
Best Horror Books by People Other Than Stephen King
442nd out of 820 books — 1,036 voters

More lists with this book...

Katherine
Aug 07, 2013 Katherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have
I first read "Shades of Gray" when it first came out in paperback in the late '80s - and read it and re-read it many times. One of the few ghost stories I've ever really liked, and I always thought it a shame that it went out of print. I found out in June that it was returning as an ebook, and have been eagerly looking forward to downloading it on my Kindle.

"Shades of Gray" is a tightly plotted, character-driven story with memorable characters like Sam and Maggie, Liam and Track. It's thoughtful
G.k. Fields
May 11, 2009 G.k. Fields rated it it was amazing
Best ghost story I have read. Something is haunting West Point. It's up to three officer instructors from B.S.&L. (Behavioral sciences & Leadership -- AKA Bull Sh__& Lies) divsion to explore the problem and solve it. People shooting at them they're used to but this --!
GCB-LovesGoodBooks
Oct 10, 2011 GCB-LovesGoodBooks rated it it was amazing
Really quite wonderful and scary ghost story.
Katherine
Feb 09, 2014 Katherine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have

Henry
Aug 31, 2015 Henry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book is one of my favorite ghost stories, and came out in the late 1980's. I've read it twice and found it chilling, especially as the novel is founded upon true events. The setting of West Point up in New York state's Hudson Valley, both in the early 1840's and now, can be unsettling, especially after dark. Highly recommended!
Tracy Macfarlane
I read this when it was first written. When you have lived in those barracks, the book is more than a story.
Naomi
Jan 18, 2014 Naomi rated it really liked it
Read my full review: http://bit.ly/1i9Zhan

My opinion: Probably one of the most unusual ghost stories I have ever read. I must admit that it did take me a bit of time to get into it due to the constant military reference, as I mostly read the typical haunted house, particulary from the English moor ghost stories.

Once I got into the flow of this book, I whipped through it because it was so engrossing.
Debby
Aug 11, 2011 Debby rated it it was amazing
My brother graduated from West Point in 1990 and told me about this book. The author was an instructor of his. Very credible scary account of hauntings on this historic campus.
Helen
Aug 20, 2013 Helen rated it liked it
I enjoyed the story, but all the psycho babble got in the way and made it quite a hard read!
Rene
Dec 05, 2012 Rene rated it really liked it
great ghost story
MJ
MJ marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Ssitha
Ssitha marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Barry McCall
Barry McCall rated it did not like it
Apr 06, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Debra
Debra rated it it was ok
Jan 31, 2016
Timothy O'Neill
Timothy O'Neill marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Wordsl Dreamsl
Wordsl Dreamsl marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Cambria
Cambria marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Devi R. Black
Devi R. Black marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Meli
Meli marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Vincent O'Neil
Vincent O'Neil rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Lynnett
Lynnett marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Peggy Geiger
Peggy Geiger marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Avneesh
Avneesh marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Oskar
Oskar marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Harold Whiffen
Harold Whiffen rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Patience is rewarded 1 4 Apr 03, 2014 09:24AM
Tim O'Neill served in the United States Army for twenty-six years, from Viet Nam through Desert Storm, and was a member of the permanent faculty at West point for fifteen years. He is a recognized expert in applied camouflage, and holds multiple patents in the field. He has been a business executive, a defense consultant, and trained foreign special operations soldiers in the Arab Emirates.

He is t
More about Timothy R. O'Neill...