Start by marking “Alchemy of Fire” as Want to Read:
Alchemy of Fire

Alchemy of Fire

Constantinople, 672 ad. Ex-concubine Anna is attempting to raise her daughter well, but as an Arab invasion threatens and Kallinikos an alchemist working on a secret weapon to use in the seige comes into their lives, a secret about her daughter is forced into the open. Anna must accept huge upheaval, and recognize her feelings for Kallinikos . . .
Published July 1st 2004 by Severn House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Alchemy of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alchemy of Fire

Stuart McCunn
Dec 13, 2016 Stuart McCunn rated it it was ok
The 7th century Arab siege of Constantinople is a great setting for a novel and the invention of Greek fire is an amazing achievement in its own right. However, the book fails utterly to capture any sense of this wonder/horror. In fact, it seems largely uninterested in the fire aspect and instead focuses on the perfume-manufacturing love interest of Callimachus, the fire's inventor. There's nothing wrong with this and nothing says that a book about the fire has to be about the fire's creator, bu ...more
Liz
Feb 17, 2009 Liz rated it liked it
Anna has made it a point in her life to remain fiercely independent in a world where a woman is expected to marry. Formerly the concubine of the brother of the Emperor, who died in disgrace, she has devoted herself to raising their now twelve-year-old daughter, Theodosia, and to running the successful perfume shop she owns. When a grubby stranger named Kallinikos arrives at her shop, wanting to buy used perfume-making equipment, she treats him as she treats all other men -- as a potential threat ...more
Margaret
Aug 05, 2016 Margaret rated it it was ok
Gillian Bradshaw is one of my favorite historical fiction writers, so I look forward eagerly to new books from her. Sadly, Alchemy of Fire was a disappointment (and I say that with great reluctance). Set in Constantinople in the 7th century CE, it tells the story of Anna, a perfume maker whose daughter is the product of Anna's union with the now-dead brother to an emperor, and of Kallinikos, a Syrian who has fled to Constantinople to escape the Arab invasion and is now working on a secret weapon ...more
Sharonewoods
Oct 11, 2010 Sharonewoods rated it liked it
I really like Gillian Bradshaw, but I think I've read too many of her books. I found this novel completely predictable. The characters -- beautiful independent business woman and nerdy scientist love interest -- were identical to those that have appeared in her other historical novels. The plot didn't have any twists or surprises, and the setting of Constantinople didn't really shine through as vividly as some of Bradshaw's other venues. So, a nice read, but not quite as enjoyable as I was hopin ...more
Cheryl
Dec 29, 2014 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Alchemy of Fire by Gillian Bradshaw is a well researched historical drama about Anna, a single mother, and her teenaged daughter living in seventh-century Constantinople just before an invasion threatens the city and their lives. Anna is in a unique position as a woman shop-owner; she is a perfumer, distilling her own essences from local flowers and herbs. Interesting story with meticulous details describing life in Constantinople at that time.
Yune
Aug 29, 2008 Yune rated it it was ok
I was warned about this book.

Bradshaw never manages to bring this together; the perfume-maker is never convincing about her work; the alchemist charmless; the illegitimate daughter of an emperor's brother, a brat. It's as though she's become so accustomed to creating appealing characters in historical settings that she tried a shortcut and never laid the groundwork of her other works.
Kristyn Jensen
Jun 05, 2011 Kristyn Jensen rated it really liked it
This was a very cute story. I felt like it was a little short and the events could have gone by a little faster and maybe over a longer period of time. I feel like there were loose ends. Like her worries and concerns for her daughter's future. I gave it 4 stars mainly cause it was a really nice little story.
Megan
Jun 07, 2016 Megan rated it really liked it
The story starts slow, but it was more interesting once I saw where it was going. I didn't quite care enough about the main character or her daughter, but the supporting cast was good, particularly the enthusiastic eunuch. Some of the plot line follows The Sand Reckoner (which did it better), but this was still an enjoyable book.
RiverShore
Feb 03, 2009 RiverShore rated it did not like it
so far, i'm not into this book.usually, there is a real depth to her characters that seems to be missing in this book. i'm disappointed because i've really enjoyed the last 3 bradshaw books that i've read. maybe it will get better....i'm on page 100.
Joshlyn
Mar 18, 2009 Joshlyn rated it liked it
Not bad. I like Gillian Bradshaw so I can be forgiving of boring parts of the book. Her books always have an interesting, strong female character and are good historical fiction.
Beth
May 16, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it
Outstanding historical fiction. I am enjoying reading all of Gillian Bradshaw's novels, one after another. A delightful treat!
Karen
Feb 22, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it
This is a light-weight but fun historical fiction set in Constantinople from 672-674. It had good pacing and I liked the main character, but it was a little bit lacking in depth.
Aevylmar
Aevylmar rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Kathryn Baron
Kathryn Baron rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2015
Jack Bucceri
Jack Bucceri rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2009
Sidney Manibusan
Sidney Manibusan rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2015
Ellen B
Ellen B rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2011
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it liked it
May 14, 2009
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2015
Darcy Bell-myers
Darcy Bell-myers rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2013
Ditte
Ditte rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2014
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2012
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2014
Jeannine
Jeannine rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2014
Judith
Judith rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2017
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2008
Coralie
Coralie rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2010
Katy
Katy rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2011
Paula
Paula rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Ariadne:  A Novel of Ancient Crete
  • Pythagoras's Trousers: God, Physics, and the Gender War
  • The Winter Queen (Astraea, #1)
  • Isaac Newton: The Last Sorcerer
  • Never at Rest: A Biography of Isaac Newton
  • Resurrectionist (Matthew Hawkwood, #2)
  • Domina
  • The Vizard Mask
  • Zanoni: A Rosicrucian Tale
  • Hermetica: The Greek Corpus Hermeticum and the Latin Asclepius in a New English Translation, with Notes and Introduction
  • Lord of Dishonor
  • The Kings in Winter
  • Lady Anne's Dangerous Man (Lady Trilogy, #1)
  • One Good Cowboy
  • The Marigold Chain
  • This Much Space (Twelve Beats In A Bar, Book #2)
  • El dios de la lluvia llora sobre México
  • Chateau d'Eternite
Born in Arlington, Virgina, Gillian Bradshaw grew up in Washington, Santiago, Chile and Michigan. She is a Classics graduate from Newnham College, Cambridge, and published her first novel, Hawk of May, just before her final term. A highly acclaimed historical novelist, Gillian Bradshaw has won the Hopwood Award for Fiction, among other prizes. She lives in Cambridge with her husband and their four ...more
More about Gillian Bradshaw...