Start by marking “Because of You” as Want to Read:
Because of You

Because of You

What would you do, if you lost the one person in your life that you could count on?

Abuse
Pain
Sorrow
Fear

These are the things, that Aaliyah Thomas had to cope with, all of her life. After the person, who meant the most to her and who made her life worth living, is murdered, she escapes and flees to the other side of the country. She enrolls in a college, determined to go on w
Kindle Edition
Published (first published July 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Because of You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Because of You

Maybe Someday by Colleen HooverRaw by Belle AuroraUgly Love by Colleen HooverArcher's Voice by Mia SheridanTaint by S.L. Jennings
2014 ROMANCE ONLY STAND ALONES
55th out of 118 books — 502 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyLooking for Alaska by John GreenPaper Towns by John Green
Best Stand-Alone Books
241st out of 553 books — 762 voters

More lists with this book...

BlebeTanja
Sep 14, 2014 BlebeTanja rated it it was amazing
The first thing you see when you check out Because of you, is this GORGEOUS cover. I hate covers where characters' faces are fully visible - that ruins everything as I am not allowed to create an image of them in my head myself, so the cover photo is awesome. And a little creepy. Goes great with the theme of the book. :)

I really liked the first book by Lea J (which I read in Slovene) but Because of You was even better. There were more characters, depth, romance, action, sparks, twists, fire and
Irma
Jun 21, 2014 Irma rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to be given a copy of this book to have a read through for an honest opinion.

First I have to say, I could not put this book down at all. I read it in a few hours.
Aaliyah Thomas had to cope with abuse, pain and fear all of her life. After the person, who meant the most to her is murdered, she escapes and flees to the other side of the country. She enrolls in a college, determined to go on with her life. What she does not know, is that the killer is looking for her and will do anything
Give Me Books
Dec 11, 2014 Give Me Books rated it really liked it
What would you do if you walked in on your sister’s dead body? Then walked in the killer? Aaliyah is faced with that problem just after high school graduation. She does what most of us would do. Run away. Months later she finds herself at college, in the dorms. She know no one but quickly becomes friends with her roommate, Addison.

Ryder comes from a wealthy family, is a star college basketball player and is Addison’s brother. He instantly thinks all woman, especially Aaliyah, is after the family
Tanya Turner/ Sugar Shack Book Blog
I was given a copy in exchange for an honest review. I really enjoyed this book. I was drawn in from the beginning. With all of the horrible events in Aaliyah's life you are hoping and praying she gets her HEA and finds peace. Upon entering college she is somewhat shy and leery to trust or open up to others. Eventually she meets a greet group of friends and Ryder. Oh Ryder he's so hot and sweet. Yeah I crushed on him! Their relationship doesn't come easy and there are some bumps in the road. ...more
Jessica Diaz
Dec 10, 2014 Jessica Diaz rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book. Aaliyah was a great heroine. She wasn't needy or full drama; just the write type of heroine.

Noah, I really liked him and hope we get more of him in another book.

Ryder - well whats not to love. I love the way the he denies his interest in Aaliyah at first and it makes it that much more real.

Addison - was a good best friend and we got just enough about her not too much.

All in all without giving anything away, this boo
Patricia Maia (The Bookery Review)
I liked this book a lot!

Aaliyah had to suffer a lot, lost most people that she loved and had to stay for herself through college. She meets Ryder and after some time fall in love. There will be some nightmares in between but all ends well.

The author gives you the various characters POV's and that's awesome, because you can go through their minds!
The story is good, well written, some twists and turns and with a HEA!
Amanda Vinson
Aug 20, 2014 Amanda Vinson rated it it was amazing
This book has it all!! I could not put it down!! The story is well told and flows beautifully. You meet Aaliyah, who has witnessed a horrible act, and Ryder, the basketball star who thinks all women are after his money. It's a hot story with just the right amount of suspense to keep you guessing!! Lea J. hit it out of the park with this one! Keep them coming!!!
Sanette
Nov 18, 2014 Sanette rated it did not like it
One star strictly for writing and publishing a book, otherwise it was so not worth finishing....
April Hollingworth
Oct 09, 2014 April Hollingworth rated it it was amazing
Review Courtesy of April Hollingworth

I couldn’t put it down. I had to find out what happened next, and any interruptions in my reading were very unwelcome.
Ryder’s attitude towards Aaliyah in the beginning is really bad, and you know he’s been hurt before, and it’s like a deep part of him knows that Aaliyah is the one girl who can either crush him completely or make him the happiest man in the world. If only he can learn to trust again.
Then we have Aaliyah. Her world has been literally torn apart
Lindsey
May 17, 2015 Lindsey rated it it was ok
Did I read the same book as all the other reviews??...seriously!

There were sooo many things wrong with this book I don't know wot 2 start with..! I'm actually having 2 sit and organise my dislike into categories. So okay..

1. The writing was bad, it was just bad! For example lines like the following came up constantly "what is wrong?" "what is happening?" and "what is the matter". Nobody talks like that! It's robotic, overly formal and makes the writing seem almost adolescent is quality.

2. The he
Lynn Smith
Nov 09, 2014 Lynn Smith rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy for an honest review.

Aaliyah lost the one person in her life that took care of her and was there for her through anything. Knowing the murderer made it that more hard to bear. Aaliyah moved across country to go to college and to escape and to hide from the killer. Hoping he wouldn't find her. Getting a great roommate Addison. She slowly becomes friends with a great group of people. She still holds herself back. She doesn't want to involve them in her life. Then comes Ryder, Ad
Devlynn Ihlenfeld
Feb 04, 2015 Devlynn Ihlenfeld rated it really liked it

Sassy Southern
Aug 13, 2014 Sassy Southern rated it really liked it
4 stars

I was given a copy of this book for an honest review

This book was a quick and easy read. The story just flowed! You meet Aaliyah in the beginning and she has just witnessed something horrible. So what does she do? Well she does go to the police but they just laugh at her so she does the next best thing and she runs. She is starting her freshman year of college in a new town and doesn't know anyone.

She does make friends rather quickly but tries to keep them at arms length. It is what is b
Faye Davis
Dec 08, 2014 Faye Davis rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy in exchange for my honest review.

I really enjoyed reading this book. I was addicted to it and couldn't put it down. After all the horrible things that Aaliyah has witnessed and gone through I'm glad she found Ryder. She was very leery at first to trust anyone but comes good friends with Addison and Noah. But then with Ryder giving her the stink eye I can't blame her at the beginning but she soon lets her walls down even though they get out back up again she eventually finds h
Sanaa  ☆ Sanaa's Book Blog ☆
I am actually really impressed by this book. It's the first book I've read by J. Lea and it was a great one.

Let me just start out by saying that the cover is really beautiful. Now, for the book you meet Aaliyah who is starting over in a new city, new university. She's had a terrible past, one that no one should have to witness. And Ryder is a basketball player in the university , who doesn't trust easily and quickly turns down any hope of friendship between the two.

He then later realizes that he
Kimberly Morris
Dec 04, 2014 Kimberly Morris rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Man am I glad I signed up for this book.

Let me start by saying that I was going to do my review when I was only half way through, but then I read a couple bad reviews and let them get in my head so I said.....ok....maybe I should wait. Maybe it takes a turn for the worst and I wont like it as much by the end.
Didn't happen! I still loved it by the end. Maybe even a little bit more.

This story is the perfect combination of romance and
a shade of darkness book lovin brits
What a beautiful little read, i was given this book in return for a honest review.i was completly hooked on the first few pages, i found the story easy to follow, the characters are well discribed and lovable,Aaliyahs has a daunting past and hoping to find peace and happiness and maybe fall in love. and then you have ryder who thinks every ones after his money and acts a bit of a jerk, i dont like to do spoilers but what i can tell you is if your after a little twist and a book that keeps you ...more
Shirin Rasheed
Apr 14, 2015 Shirin Rasheed rated it it was amazing
I got the Copy for an Honest Review.

I have read Other books by J. Lea and Loved it But after reading Because Of You I fell in Love with her Writing.

Because Of You is a story of Aaliyah who has seen her sister got murdered in front of her and now the Murderer is after her life. The Story captivated me, it was packed full of Mystery, twist and turns. Lea knows how to grab her readers attention and deliver smooth and wonderfully written stories. You Can't afford to miss Ryder Knight. He is Yummy.

If
Cassie
Oct 13, 2014 Cassie rated it really liked it
J lea is a new author for me ~ I read this book and it really affected me. Aaliyah was so innocent,had such a horrible hand dealt to her yet she remained strong. Ryder was really a special guy once you got through first impressions, you can't help but to love him. I loved the family dynamic of this basketball team!!! I liked how we were given parts of the story from Caden's POV, even though I wanted injure the man....badly. There were enough twists and turns to keep you involved & wanting to ...more
Vicky Darnold
Nov 19, 2014 Vicky Darnold rated it it was amazing
This book grabbed me on the first page and didn't let go until the last page! The characters are endearing and a little edgy. There are a few twists that will leave you saying "what the heck". If you have to work the next day don't start this book until the weekend, because you will be up all night reading this! I was! If you like a book that will keep you guessing, this is a great book for you!
*~*Btissame*❤*
DNF 60%

Ughhh boring and lame..

photo tumblr_m0dr64EG3s1rqfhi2o1_500_zps80f578da.gif
Dana
Aug 12, 2014 Dana rated it it was amazing
I received this book free in exchange for an honest review. I loved this book! There is romance plus suspense which is my favorite thing to read. Also, this author can really write which is a rarity. I highly recommend this book. Read it!
Shellby
Aug 13, 2014 Shellby rated it really liked it
I loved this book. The romance between Ryder and Aaliyah is very sweet. There is just enough drama in it to keep you reading, but not too much. While you follow Aaliyah as she survives, her struggles become yours. You feel intertwined with her.
Sabrina
Aug 21, 2014 Sabrina rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this quick read....couldn't put it down. Wish it could have been a series about several of the main characters but I'm glad we get to see how each of them ended up. Definite recommend!
Marisol Gonzales
Epilogue

The book was written very well. As a native Texan, I was extremely happy that Ryder played for the Spurs. :)
Nancy LeClair
Apr 08, 2015 Nancy LeClair rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect

Loved the story concept! It was simply the perfect love story! Not without some tears though, mine included. Don't hesitate...read this book and then reread it.
Jodi Cain
Oct 30, 2014 Jodi Cain rated it it was amazing
This book had me from page 1. It has suspence, drama, murder and a love like no other. If you are looking for a book that has it all, then look no further.
Leah Christina
Oct 11, 2014 Leah Christina rated it it was amazing
loved this book from.start to finish
Gabriela Scheinberg
Sep 12, 2014 Gabriela Scheinberg rated it liked it
Sweet story
Annie Hughes
Sep 28, 2014 Annie Hughes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!!
New Adult Book Club: #322 Because of you by J. Lea ~COPIES ALL GONE 45 106 Sep 03, 2015 10:36AM
  • Model Student (Oddball #1)
  • Fervor
  • Broken
  • It's Just Love, Not a Time Bomb
  • Uncaged
  • Blue
  • Rodeo (FMX Bros, #2)
  • Distraction (Distraction, #1)
  • Love Untouched (Unexpected, #3)
  • Slow Agony (Assassins, #2)
  • Three Months and You're Mine (In Too Deep, #5)
  • Winning Her Love
  • The Sweet Spot
  • TROUBLE Part 2 (Trouble, #2; Bad Boys and Billionaires, #8)
  • Swim Recruit
  • Fading Out (Living Heartwood, #3)
  • Cindy and the Prom King (Manderley Prep, #1)
  • Exes and O’s