Start by marking “Death in the Family (Lloyd & Hill, #12)” as Want to Read:
Death in the Family (Lloyd & Hill, #12)

Death in the Family (Lloyd & Hill #12)

When Dean Fletcher fell for a blonde nymphet named Kayleigh Scott, he managed to ruin his life. Kayleigh had told him she was eighteen. In truth, she was not quite thirteen and poor Dean was soon off to prison, a convicted sex offender, still smitten with his adolescent lover.
Now he s finally free again, only to be ensnared by two crimes that have Chief Detective Inspecto
Published April 27th 2004 by Fawcett Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Death in the Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in the Family

Damaskcat
Nov 07, 2015 Damaskcat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Judy Hill's baby decides to make her appearance rather earlier than planned which meant she and Lloyd had to cancel their planned wedding. Then while she is walking in the park with the baby someone else's baby is snatched from a pram within feet of her. Judy suddenly discovers that she cannot bear to let Charlotte out of her sight.

A woman is found battered to death in an isolated woodland cottage and DCI Lloyd finds himself in the middle of a baffling investigation in which he has no real idea
Nikki
Feb 12, 2009 Nikki rated it really liked it
Sadly, the last in the Lloyd and Hill series, because the author died. The books kept getting better and better and I will always wonder what would have happened next.
Gr8xcapes
Jun 08, 2015 Gr8xcapes rated it really liked it
Winnie
Aug 09, 2013 Winnie rated it it was ok
Who knew there was more than one book with this title. I thought I was reading this book for one of my book clubs. Turns out I had the right title (almost) but the wrong author. By the time I found out, I was almost through with this so I finished it.

This is a murder mystery by a British author. It's one of many in a series with Detectives Lloyd and Hill.

The book was fast moving. However, as Detective Lloyd kept coming up with possible scenarios that pointed to each of the main characters, it
Jessica Hamilton
Aug 12, 2016 Jessica Hamilton rated it it was ok
This was my first book in this series and by this author...and apparently it's the last one, so maybe I'm missing some kind of fan, loyalty, love thing with the characters...but good grief this book took me FOREVER to read mainly because the crime didn't happen until 100 pages in. The detectives seemed so dense the whole way through, not checking into the most basic things about people's background, etc.
Gary Van Cott
Jun 01, 2015 Gary Van Cott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a shame that this is the next to last book in this series. After a slow start, it had by this point developed into a good series with a family at the center. While they aren't really anything like the main characters in Deborah Combie's books, at the best moments I have a similar feeling of pleasure in reading about them.
Julie
I had no idea that Jill McGown passed away in April 2007. I read this novel December 2006- the first McGown mystery for me.

I was enchanted and intrigued by Chief Inspector Lloyd and Det Sgt Judy Hill- partners on the force and partners in life. The characters have all the charm of Agatha Christie's cast and the mystery is of its age without the cynicism or maudlin tattoo sported by many a modern murder mystery. The marriage and professional lives of its chief protagonists lend the story a human
Kirsty Darbyshire
Dec 07, 2010 Kirsty Darbyshire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paperback

As a series book I knew what one of the births and one of the marriages would be in this book, and I wondered if there would be much more to it than that. Being a detective series you can pretty much guarantee a death or two. I'm pleased to say it turned out to be more than just a couple of rites of passage for the central characters.

Decent puzzles added up to a good plot. I'd guessed the murderer quite early on - process of elimination seemed to exclude everyone else - but it didn't make for di

ATreads
Oct 25, 2015 ATreads rated it liked it
Follows like a standard whodunit from multiple viewpoints. It definitely keeps you guessing, and that alone gets it the three stars. I can't reveal why I'm withholding the other two stars without giving spoilers. Let's just say it has it strengths and weaknesses, but it was good enough to keep me interested throughout.
Rog Harrison
First read 19 December 2003.
Bevjirwin
Aug 30, 2014 Bevjirwin rated it liked it
just love these books. always a surprise. good reading
Danielle West
Enjoyable. It was really interesting to so how all of the different stories came together in the end.
Morggie
Apr 13, 2015 Morggie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Interesting plot. Excellent denouement. The best one yet.
Vannessa Anderson
Dec 29, 2012 Vannessa Anderson rated it liked it
Shelves: jill-mcgown
Readers who enjoy old fashioned who-done-its’ will enjoy Death In The Family because it will keep you guessing about the identity of the murderer until the final pages. This is the first book I’ve read by Jill McGown and her style of writing is not one I’m accustomed; however, author McGown kept me going in circles trying to solve the case before it was reveled. I truly enjoyed the ending because it was an unexpected surprise.
Kenzie
Jul 10, 2009 Kenzie rated it liked it
This was a fine summer mystery read. I may have given it a better rating, but I realized I hadn't updated it on here, and now that I think about what I want to say about it - well, I can't remember a whole lot about it. I do know that although I liked the writing and some of the characters, there were some plot twists that I had already figured out. That said, there were some that were surprises as well.
Jamilah
Mar 28, 2008 Jamilah rated it liked it
More British detectives; I like this author too, but I'm starting to get the characters mixed up because I've been reading 4 or 5 different British detective series.
Iliotropio
Sep 02, 2016 Iliotropio is currently reading it
Shelves: kindle
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Bettie☯
May 12, 2015 Bettie☯ marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Narrator.................. Julia Franklin
Total Runtime......... 10 Hours 25 Mins

Description: For Lloyd and Hill, a kidnapping soon becomes a murder investigation...In an isolated cottage a woman has been bludgeoned to death; outside, a man has been crushed by a car. That, and a row overheard earlier that morning, is all Detective Chief Inspector Lloyd has to go on. Who is the dead woman? Where's her handbag? If it was a burglary, why the extreme violence? If it was a domestic. why is the handbag
Deb
Oct 18, 2010 Deb rated it really liked it
A good ending for the series, and for all but two of the characters. Let's hope Judy and DD Lloyd are living happily ever after.
Kim
Apr 30, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it
One of my favorites from the Lloyd/Judy Hill series.
Kelly
3.5 stars. Not one of my favorites.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Mary C
Mary C marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Meg
Meg rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Joyce Wessel
Joyce Wessel rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Kerryn
Kerryn rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2016
Paula
Paula added it
Jul 06, 2016
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Chalon Heads (Brock & Kolla, #4)
  • To Fear a Painted Devil
  • A Likeness In Stone
  • The Price of Darkness (DI Joe Faraday, #8)
  • Faithful Unto Death (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #5)
  • An April Shroud (Dalziel & Pascoe, #4)
  • Riptide (CSI: Miami, Book 4)
  • In a Dark House (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #10)
  • Deed to Death
  • Trace Evidence
  • Scattered Graves (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #6)
  • Bloodhounds (Peter Diamond, #4)
  • Rainbow's End (Richard Jury, #13)
  • Death at the Alma Mater (A St. Just Mystery #3)
Jill McGown (9 August 1947, Campbeltown, Scotland – 6 April 2007 in Kettering, Northamptonshire) was a British writer of mystery novels. She was best known for her mystery series featuring Inspector Lloyd and Judy Hill, one of which (A Shred of Evidence) was made into a television series. McGown wrote her first mystery novel after being laid off from the British Steel Corporation in 1980. She is s ...more
More about Jill McGown...

Lloyd & Hill (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • A Perfect Match (Lloyd & Hill, #1)
  • Murder at the Old Vicarage (Lloyd & Hill, #2)
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • The Murders of Mrs. Austin and Mrs. Beale (Lloyd & Hill, #4)
  • The Other Woman (Lloyd & Hill, #5)
  • Murder... Now and Then (Lloyd & Hill, #6)
  • A Shred of Evidence (Lloyd & Hill, #7)
  • Verdict Unsafe (Lloyd & Hill, #8)
  • Plots and Errors (Lloyd & Hill, #10)