Start by marking “Kid Eternity” as Want to Read:
Kid Eternity

Kid Eternity (Kid Eternity Miniseries)

Published February 1st 2006 by Vertigo (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Kid Eternity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kid Eternity

Jesse A
Sep 10, 2016 Jesse A rated it it was ok
I didn't care for the art at all The story was typical GM weirdness. Not super enjoyable.
míol mór
Jul 06, 2012 míol mór rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished, on, 900, comics, nov, 2010, 11, horror
By now I've learned that Grant Morrison is positively out of his mind*. A chaos magician unwinding deadpan on his allucinations, how they affected his comics, and how comics affected both his life and his hangouts with the gods. All this in a heavy Scottish accent, dig it.
Apparently this miniseries from the early nineties is more personal than the superhero stuff. This is Morrison's own Death miniseries, well before Gaiman ever started writing Sandman. In fact this is Vertigo before Vertigo, si
Shannon Appelcline
Jan 05, 2016 Shannon Appelcline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, comics-dc
One of Morrison's earlier works, and it's entirely terrific. The story is beautifully told, with repetitive tropes crazily cross-cutting. The darkening of Kid Eternity is interesting, and though I could see how some folks might have hated it, Morrison created a very viable modern character. And finally there's the artwork by Duncan Fegredo, a Bill Sienkiewicz-ripoff. It's entirely beautiful (and stops short of the muddiness that sometimes hurt Sienkiewicz's art). It's also very appropriate for ...more
Dinah
Sep 18, 2016 Dinah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Have to get a new copy and re-read this every decade or less. Then lend that copy out until it doesn't come home again. One of the all-time great graphic novels.
No Books
Oct 29, 2011 No Books rated it really liked it
D.M.
Feb 17, 2013 D.M. rated it liked it
Okay, I'm cheating a bit here, since I read this in the original issues and not a collection, but I'm sure the review applies either way.
This may well have been my first conscious exposure to Grant Morrison, figuring this came out about the time I got out of the service, just as my comics collection was about to go completely out of control. It was certainly a sound place to start, and even then he was exposing the bizarre belief system which serves as the groundwork for so much of his output.
Mo
JD Estrada
Dec 22, 2013 JD Estrada rated it liked it
Don't think that 3 stars is a bad rating. Sincerely consider this a middle of the road rating for a peculiar graphic novel that might or might not appeal to you. Pretty ambiguous suggestion huh? But hear me out. The storyline demands that you put attention to detail and to take each page and soak it up in its entirety. This might or might not be a good thing for some people, but seeing as I really enjoyed the artistic sense of the novel, I consider it a pro rather than a con. Kid Eternity is a ...more
Artur Coelho
Mar 30, 2012 Artur Coelho rated it liked it
É fácil escrever um resumo deste comic: o personagem principal desce aos infernos para libertar o seu mentor acompanhado da alma de um comediante em estado terminal e travar um desequilíbrio da balança entre ordem e caos. É difícil resumir esta obra: nas mãos de um Grant Morrison possivelmente em ressaca de revelações cósmicas em Katmandu e um toque de alucinogenícos (com o próprio relata no misto de historiografia e autobiografia que é Supergods) a narrativa é uma imensa reflexão sobre vida, mo ...more
Moth Pfunk
Dec 06, 2012 Moth Pfunk rated it liked it
Fans of Grant Morrison can skip this one, not that it was terrible but his usual wit is a little sparse. The artwork was very nice but I'm not so fond of this style in comics, Kent Williams and Jon Muth come to mind when flipping through the pages, and that's odd because I usually like Fegredo but I think this was a bit of a departure from his usual style. This dark and photorealistic style had worked before with Dave McKean on Arkham Asylum, and I suppose in a way this can be seen as a ...more
Billy
May 18, 2008 Billy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of grim-and-gritty magical-hero comic books
a little confusing, but I guess we should expect that from Grant Morrison. This is one of his lesser-works, but is still pretty interesting. Looking at it over 15 years after it came out though, I can't help but think that it was just an exercise in turning a once-bright and cheerful character into a grim-and-gritty anti-hero. If I had any affection for the character prior to reading this, I'd probably be pretty pissed, but the only Kid Eternity I really knew was the one that was always the dark ...more
Newt cox
Feb 10, 2012 Newt cox rated it did not like it
Shelves: comic-book
I know I read this mini series years ago right after it came out. And I remember enjoying it. And since I normally love it when Grant Morrison takes an almost forgotten hero and reinvents them I requested that my local library get a copy. Well I get a call telling me that they had got a copy in for me. I got it and rushed home all excited to read it. Well this time reading it the story made no sense at all. I get a feeling this was written during the period when Morrison was doing lots of LSD ...more
Rebecca Schwarz
Jun 21, 2016 Rebecca Schwarz rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Two and a half stars. The artwork is gorgeous, five stars, and made this worth looking at (especially since I borrowed it from the library and didn't have to lay out any cash). The story started out strong, if maybe just a bit confusing, but at around the half way point instead of picking up speed and/or building to a dramatic climax there was a lot of confusing explanations about the mechanizations of the twisted worlds of the afterlife. Maybe it was just too much world building crammed into a ...more
Jarrodtrainque
Comics visionary Grant Morrison reimagines the unique character of Kid Eternity, a young man who died before his true time and returns to Earth as a ghostly spirit, along with his guardian Mister Keeper.In this 144-page trade paperback, illustrated by Duncan Fegredo, KID ETERNITY follows the terrifying night of aspiring stand-up comedian Jerry Sullivan as he joins Kid Eternity on a quest to free his Keeper from Hell.
John
Apr 03, 2016 John rated it liked it
This would be bewildering if Morrison wasn't constantly writing stories about storytelling, in this case we have something with a classic shamanic descend-to-the-underworld archetype all prettied up with some terrific art from Duncan Fegredo that recalls Arkham Asylum's art by Dave McKean. They were done only a few years apart and those of you pining for the old weird Vertigo should find this really rewarding.
Stephen
Nov 12, 2013 Stephen rated it liked it
I recall this coming out a little after the violent modernizations of many characters in the 80s. Seemed like a similar makeover, but this did have the philosophical and theological underpinnings to make it stand out just a little higher in my esteem than the pap that was standard fare at the time.
Chris
Jan 07, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it
I read this when it was serialized and years later have read the trade. It was far from perfect but four stars for Morrison trying to do something wildly imaginative with a near unknown character in a style with almost zero commercial appeal. Bravo for sliding against the mold, but still being an odd jelliing fit, I love your work.
Matt Piechocinski
Aug 08, 2011 Matt Piechocinski rated it it was ok
Much like Morrison's mainstream stuff ... I didn't understand any of this. But, at least back then, it was confined to Vertigo, which makes Kid Eternity acceptable. I actually thought the psychological aspects of the story were pretty neat, which really complemented the artist's style. I did like Grant's rendition of Kid, though ... it's just the story that fell flat.
Noel
Feb 07, 2016 Noel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tan sólo el #Morrigod puede darte un curso de Magia del Caos en un cómic y además hacerlo de forma épica. El cielo y el infierno es cuestión de perspectiva.
Mi mente, efervescente, imaginaimaginaimagina...
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
Feb 17, 2015 Jean-Pierre Vidrine rated it really liked it
Appropriate to one of the main themes of the story, this book is very chaotic. Morrison's tale is more than a little disjointed, and ends with a few questions unanswered. Those are not necessarily bad things.
It's a fascinating use of a pretty obscure character. Duncan Fegredo's art is beautiful.
Andrew
Dec 02, 2014 Andrew rated it it was ok
Recommended to Andrew by: m
Shelves: comics-alt
Fegredo channeling Bill Sienkiewicz. Grant Morrison being pointless.

I would have liked to have been given a story I could care about if only so I could spend some more time with the beautiful artwork.
Matt
Jun 24, 2013 Matt rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
Beautiful painted art, immature gibberish writing. Morrison's philosophically demented side usually shows through on his non-superhero work, and this is the most striking example I have had the misfortune of experiencing. Mercifully I only spent $3 on this.
Travis Duke
A dark chaotically written story that is hard to follow. The art is beautiful at times but the story really slows you down from enjoying it fully. I get what Morrison is trying to convey but it is messy and unrefined to me.
Sand Stone
Feb 24, 2013 Sand Stone rated it it was amazing
eternity, eternity, eternity. morrison at his core. this is a book for the mystically inclined, the existential individuals and the ones who dare to imagine what truths lie under the artists and the stand up comics rendition of life for the sake of a laugh and a living.
Variaciones Enrojo
Edición española de Planeta DeAgostini que recopila en un libro el material anteriormente publicado por Zinco en tres libros prestige.
Peacegal
Sep 24, 2013 Peacegal rated it it was ok
Morrison's vision of hell was certainly interesting and creative in an especially gruesome way, but everything else here is impossible to follow and reads like a bad acid trip.
J
Jul 03, 2012 J rated it really liked it
Beautifully painted and well written, if a little disorienting, story by Grant Morrison. It wasn't my favorite, but it was a nice, quick read.
Dx-xb
Oct 25, 2011 Dx-xb rated it really liked it
Grant Morrison's take on Dante's Inferno with Sinkiewicz-esk art. A heavy 90's feel to the story. I did appreciate that the protagonist was a comedian named Jerry though.
Jared Conti
Nov 04, 2013 Jared Conti rated it liked it
A bit hard to follow, but what of Morrison's isn't? Nice art, and a great steal for $3 at MishMash in Bellefonte. Signed by the author as well? Good deal.
Luis Guajardo Villafranca
Luis Guajardo Villafranca rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2016
  • Enigma
  • FreakAngels, Volume 4 (FreakAngels, #4)
  • Hellblazer: Damnation's Flame
  • ترابها زعفران
  • The Visitor
  • Concrete, Volume 4: Killer Smile
  • Preacher: Dead or Alive, the Collected Covers
Scottish comic book author Grant Morrison is known for culture-jamming and the constant reinvention of his work. He is known for his nonlinear narratives and countercultural leanings in his runs on titles including DC Comics' Animal Man, Batman, JLA, The Invisibles, Action Comics, All-Star Superman, and Doom Patrol, and Marvel Comics' New X-Men and Fantastic Four. Many of these are controversial, ...more
More about Grant Morrison...

Kid Eternity (3 books)
  • Kid Eternity, Libro uno de tres (KE, #1)
  • Kid Eternity (1991-) #2