Start by marking “Simbayo: Jenseits der Sonne” as Want to Read:
Simbayo: Jenseits der Sonne

Simbayo: Jenseits der Sonne

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  14 reviews
"A grand historical romance . . . Filled with passions, heartbreak and death." Chicago Sun-Times.
Liliane. Carolyn. Courtney. For half a century, they would devote themselves to the people of Simbayo, women healers bringing faith and hope to a beleaguered land . . . and to each other.
Published January 1st 2000 by Knaur (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Simbayo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simbayo

I read this book about 20 or more years ago and loved it. Since that time I always looked forward to Barbara's new book.

The United States Publisher stopped publishing her books maybe about ten years ago, stating they were romance and there wasn't a market for her books. I find that hard to believe, have you seen the amount of romance crap in books stores?

Anyways through social media I'd been following Barbara, knowing that she had written two more books but unfortunately they weren't printed in
I loved reading this saga about Africa. I read this in middle school for the first time and thought it would be the neatest thing in the world to go over there and run a clinic. There was a scene where it told about the native women in that particular part of Africa and how they squatted all day that way for hours on end. I found that incredible and had to try it myself. It didn't work so well for me...
Barbara Bickmore's heroines and even her male characters have an inspiring drive to make a difference in other people's lives.
One also learns some history of the African continent in both this book and its sequel, West of the Moon.
An extremely enthralling, satisfying read!
Una bella avventura, tra il centro e il sud africa, con protagoniste tre donne coraggiose e profondamente umane, nelle scelte e nelle passioni, che però deve fare i conti con un ritmo in alcuni tratti fin troppo prolisso e lento.

Shannon Kelly
Historical fiction...very intersting story which spans several generations of women in Africa, from the Congo to South Africa. Slightly over dramatic at times, but a good read.
A very descriptive book , but too long spanning too many generations. I felt she could have stopped after her daughter.
I first read this book when I was 13 or 14... read it again when I was 20. Quite enjoyed it both times. :)
Oct 18, 2008 Sue rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sue by: Claudia
I could not put this down!!! Its thick but it is so good you get through it quickly.
Absolutly loved this book. Many thanks to a good friend for suggesting it to me.
It's been years since I read it but I remember it to be a very good read!
I loved this book, it started my love affaire with Africa
Amazing book. 5 stars! I <3 it!
One of my favorite books!
Ally Budd
Loved this - cried buckets!
Kristi Burns
Kristi Burns marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Outback
  • The Summer of the Barshinskeys
  • The Silent Lady
  • Oregon Bride (Bride Series, #3)
  • Tara's Song
  • Omamori
  • Playing the Jack
  • Minette
  • The Last Rainbow (Firelord, #3)
  • The Marriage of Meggotta
  • A Worthy Wife
  • Skippyjon Jones Snow What
  • An Ancient Strife (Caledonia, #2)
  • Snare of Serpents
  • A Woman of Cairo
  • Idun: Sagan om Valhalla (Sagan om Valhalla, #2)
  • Seraglio: A Novel
  • On Noah's Ark
BARBARA BICKMORE wrote her first short story at seven and has been writing ever since. Her dream to become a published writer came true when EAST OF THE SUN was published in 1988. As her heroines grow they become women who make a difference and don't settle for living life the way society dictates. Readers will experience sorrow, pain, happiness, romance, love and will enjoy growing with the heroi ...more
More about Barbara Bickmore...