Start by marking “Vimanarama” as Want to Read:
Vimanarama

Vimanarama

3.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  688 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
From the fertile mind and nimble fingers of writer Grant Morrison and artist Philip Bond comes the latest in multiculturalist spectacle! Color, song and cosmic violence collide in VIMANARAMA, collecting the 3-issue Vertigo miniseries that fuses East and West together into a transcendental delight of romance and danger.

Feel the Earth tremble as 19-year-old grocer's son Ali
Published January 1st 2006 by Vertigo (first published June 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Vimanarama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vimanarama

Sam Quixote
Jul 08, 2013 Sam Quixote rated it liked it
Ancient Indian space gods return to wreak havoc on London just as Ali, a young British-Indian man, is about to find out what his betrothed wife-to-be will look like. As Ali discovers he is somehow tied into the chaos happening around him, he and his bride-to-be set off on a mystical adventure to save the world!

Vimanarama is Grant Morrison writing what he does best - crazy superhero stories with spiritual-ish elements liberally mixed in. It's also a much lighter, funnier story than we usually see
Martin
Mar 23, 2016 Martin rated it it was amazing
«It's the end of the world and I'm only eighteen, Ali! What are we going to do about it?»

One of the three 3-issue Vertigo mini-series from the mid-2000's by Grant Morrison (the other 2 being the equally excellent We3 and Seaguy), Vimanarama is a wonderful blend of East & West, of comedy & drama, and of light & darkness. Don't let the 'potential End of the World' storyline fool you: this book is a light-hearted break from all of Morrison's serious/edgy/WTF stuff, with endearing charac
Nick
Apr 20, 2009 Nick rated it liked it
I get the impression that Grant Morrison once read Roger Zelazny's "Lord of Light" and said to himself, "Hey, I could do that...but as a graphic novel."
Seriously, this was a frustrating book. Some of it was clever, in the ways that the new Dr. Who is clever...the interactions between the cosmic and the mundane worked well.
What didn't work well for me was the main character, who is remarkably self-centered and whiny. The "suicide" sequence, in particular, made too little sense, but the character
Andrew Huey
Jun 22, 2014 Andrew Huey rated it really liked it
I picked up this mini-series out of a dusty back-issue bin at a con a few years back. It's odd. About as odd as you'd expect from a Grant Morrison mini-series published by Vertigo circa 2005. The general idea seems to be to do an overblown Jack Kirby style story, featuring characters out of Eastern religion/mythology. There's a lot of humor and general weirdness to it.

The art, by Philip Bond, works well. He handles both the human elements and the super-human overblown stuff equally well. And, wh
Ed
Mar 07, 2009 Ed rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphix-comix
It had interesting enough characters, but the plot was somewhat less enthralling. Oh, the stuff was there...from the very mundane to the supra-supernatural...but it somehow didn't add up to a full meal.
Stephen
Dec 23, 2011 Stephen rated it it was ok
I'm trying to figure out where this fits in on the Grant Morrison scoring chart. Essentially, it's fine - fairly amusing, some good character interactions (particularly between Ali, his brother and their father) and great visuals. A short, diverting read.

But the plot just feels rushed and half-baked, and that really rankles with me for some reason. It's like Morrison lost interest in it halfway through. Possibly sooner. Lots of cosmic out-thereness to camouflage the lack of coherence. A deus ex
Brad
Apr 19, 2010 Brad rated it really liked it
I really want this to be made into a movie, which maybe makes me a terrible person/comic book fan. This has everything a good movie needs--a meet-cute romance, invading aliens/ancients, baby talk, city-destroying action sequences, and a reluctant hero. It's so crammed with Morrison's absurd plotting, and would be well-suited to a movie that smooths Morrison's stylistic rough edges and standard-issue fourth-wall climax.
There's nothing wrong with this book, and so much that's awesome about it, inc
Jason
Some of the stuff in here is really cool, like the idea that the demonic antagonists were originally buried deep in the Earth in the form of fossil fuels and the implication that they were released, and the Earth made dark in more than one sense, via the Industrial Revolution. But I can't get over the fact that Morrison mixes Islamic and Hinduism elements haphazardly in his attempt to recreate a Jack-Kirby-space-gods sort of vibe. And the ending was completely unsatisfactory.
Sunil
Jan 15, 2012 Sunil rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
This book had intrigued me ever since I saw it in my comic book store. It was about an Indian dude! Or maybe a Pakistani dude, I'm not sure. His name is Ali. But anyway, he's in London, and he's about to meet the girl he's been arranged to marry, and he hopes she's not ugly. And then a 6,000-year-old evil is unleashed along with Prince Ben Rama, who totally macks on his girl while trying to vanquish evil. Now that I think about it, Grant Morrison may very well be a Doctor Who fan because this bo ...more
Devin Bruce
Jan 22, 2008 Devin Bruce rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Morrison megafans, Kirby enthusiasts, metaphysicians
Shelves: fiction, comics
Vimanarama uses a lot of Morrison's most well-worn ideas: meta-story, breaking the "fourth wall", the power of words, secret societies, and crazy quasi-superhero action. But as tired as some of those ideas can be to people who've read a lot of Morrison, in this series, more often than not they work. This miniseries is part Kirby, and part Indian & Hindu mythology, and it reads well on the surface level as well as when you delve a little deeper. A lot of the energy that drives the story comes ...more
Velvetea
Unique story that jumps right in. Not a whole lot of time to get to know characters, but a great deal of visual noise in the communication of apocalyptic sounds through words and composition, and some unexpected humor.
Trisha
May 10, 2014 Trisha rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was a fun story to read. There were some innovative ways to illustrate the story here. The resolution to the conflict was unusual, but funny in a dark humor sort of way.
J
Nov 10, 2015 J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
A fun little read that never takes itself too seriously as all the old gods return as aliens when a hapless shopkeeper's son awakens an ancient evil.
Artur Coelho
Dec 26, 2012 Artur Coelho rated it liked it
Uma boa dose de demência ao estilo inconfundível de Grant Morrison às voltas com uma interpretação muito livre dos mitos hindus. Em Vinamarama, Morrison liberta acidentalmente no planeta antigos demónios das epopeias hindus e as únicas forças capazes de os travar são encarnações tecnológicas das divindades. O caminho é intrigante. Morrison trata os mitos como interpretações de visões de alta tecnologia por parte daqueles que as vêem como magia, mas fá-lo num estilo leve e bem humorado. Vimanaram ...more
Pturingan
Jun 22, 2015 Pturingan rated it really liked it
Wacky, fun and mystical. I'd certainly like to see more of Philip Bond's art too.
Elizabeth
So much fun, loved the artwork, thought it was great to see a comic that featured a Muslim who wasn't either a terrorist or sick of being mistaken for a terrorist, but simply just a person (radical notion I know). Loved the ridiculous super-drama of the ancient deities of India rising up out of the ground under London to do battle. It was just really good, funny where it was supposed to be funny, sad where it was supposed to be sad, romantic where it was supposed to be romantic and the artwork r ...more
Feb 01, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I've never read any Grant Morrison, but judging from this one example, he's a weird dude. A young British guy of South Asian descent discovers an otherwordly temple under his family's corner store, on the same day he meets his bride for an arranged marriage. They accidentally release some evil dudes who are sort of a cross between demons and giant robots. The story moves so quickly and with little explanation and I mostly spent the book thinking, "What the *#$?" It's a quick read and the art is ...more
Ευθυμία Δεσποτάκη
Ο πρώτος μου Μόρρισσον. Καίω εγκέφαλο. Πολύ ωραίο σκίτσο. Αλλά όλα τα λεφτά είναι οι ancient Pakistani superheroes. Αγαπώ.
John
Apr 04, 2015 John rated it really liked it
Pure delight.
Daniel Parks
Jan 10, 2012 Daniel Parks rated it really liked it
there are four reasons i'm giving this four stars instead of five. the reasons are as follows:

1. Flex Mentallo
2. The Invisibles
3. WE3
4. The Filth

i loved Vimanarama and i think it deserves five stars if only for the simple reason that everything Morrison does is in a class of it's own, but a distinction should be made between the Morrison that will explode your mind like a psychedelic hand grenade, and the Morrison that is just a blast to read and way better than just about any other comics out t
Jamil
Seven years later, there's something quite charming about this comic, its "Hindu Kirby" hues & "Bollywood Doctor Who" riffs. Ignore the pat resolution and you can almost imagine a world where this might be considered a crucial text in Morrison's canon, rather than dismissed as a slight entertainment. There's more fun in the margins and asides of this "minor work" than most of Morrison's recent output. Philip Bond should draw more comics.
Bryan
Jul 06, 2007 Bryan rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Morrison and Bond diehards only
A very very slight Bollywood remix of old Grant Morrison themes. Underground empires, 4th wall busting, the invisible world of magicks blowing minds, cheap but effective slapstick, and rearranging of face bits. Phillip Bond is always an entertaining artist and there are a few images here that are delicious in their delirium. But this is just too silly and empty a book to recommend.
Brent
Jun 13, 2015 Brent rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of great storytelling, graphic novels, and comic art
Recommended to Brent by: these fine creators
Shelves: comics, fiction, superhero
WOW! Now I have to reread this, asap.
This is one of those stories where everyday people get mixed up with a mythic pantheon...
I think when I read Grant Morrison's book Supergods it will make even more sense.
Great cartoon art style here from comics artist Philip Bond. How come he don't do more?
Highly recommended.
Artemiy Nizovtsev
Dec 23, 2015 Artemiy Nizovtsev rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, vertigo
A mix of fun and funny with the usual Morrison signature brain-fuckery and WTFness. A quick read, only 3 issues. Artwork's good. Sadly, the overall result is entirely forgettable. A shame, too, as the beginning was so promising and cool.
Alan
Mar 29, 2010 Alan rated it liked it
Author Grant Morrison has referred to this as his Jack Kirby take on Hindu gods and big screen action. While its fun, I think the overall story would have been strengthened if more pages had been dedicated to the story.
While I admitt that it was funny, I felt like most of it went over my head since I'm not Indian. I'm sure that a reader who would get the religious and cultural references would enjoy it more then I did.
Sus
Feb 05, 2009 Sus rated it really liked it
Stellar! Clearly, we need more superheroes from ancient Pakistan.

(And we also need more coherent, multicultural collaborations from Grant Morrison and Philip Bond -- or, really, Philip Bond and anyone.)
Federiken Masters
Jan 24, 2011 Federiken Masters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans del autor e hindúes.
Recommended to Federiken by: Su autor
"Subir edición en castellano de Planeta." Ya la subí, así que ahora me toca decir: Cuando lo relea seguro escriba su correspondiente reseña o alguna de las mierdas que digo siempre.
James Schneider
Sep 09, 2012 James Schneider rated it liked it
Oh my, it's wonderful to spend some time with Phillip Bond. This is minor Morrison, to be sure, but Bond is the star of this book, and it's some of his best work.
  • It's a Bird...
  • Human Target
  • Lout Rampage!
  • A Sickness in the Family
  • Rat Catcher
Scottish comic book author Grant Morrison is known for culture-jamming and the constant reinvention of his work. He is known for his nonlinear narratives and countercultural leanings in his runs on titles including DC Comics' Animal Man, Batman, JLA, The Invisibles, Action Comics, All-Star Superman, and Doom Patrol, and Marvel Comics' New X-Men and Fantastic Four. Many of these are controversial, ...more
More about Grant Morrison...