Start by marking “The Year's Best Science Fiction: Seventeenth Annual Collection” as Want to Read:
The Year's Best Science Fiction: Seventeenth Annual Collection

The Year's Best Science Fiction: Seventeenth Annual Collection (The Year's Best Science Fiction #17)

Summation: 1999
The dragon of Pripyat/ Karl Schroeder
Written in blood/ Chrius Lawson
Hatching the phoenix/ Frederik Pohl
Suicide coast/ M
Published August 12th 2000 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published August 5th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Year's Best Science Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year's Best Science Fiction

Joe
Jan 16, 2012 Joe rated it really liked it
Erik Graff
Jun 22, 2015 Erik Graff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sf fans
Recommended to Erik by: Nate Gregory
Shelves: sf
Gardner Dozois' annual science fiction collections were first brought to my attention by my neighbor, Nate. Then, later, I noticed quite a number of them at the San Francisco home of another friend. Nate's an SF fan, but Tom, the other fellow, is more oriented towards straight science. Together, their recommendatons led me to buy one of the annuals, then to trade it for another with Nate. These two collections and a partial perusal of a third collection at Tom's home allow me to recommend the ...more
Roddy Williams
A decent crop of stories from 1999 many of which seem preoccupied with the theme - either subtly or overtly - of longevity or perhaps to be more accurate the preservation of body and/or personality.
It's a mixed bag, but the overall quality is high.

The Wedding Album (1999) David Marusek (Asimov's 1999.06)

Marusek takes the basic concept that photographs will develop into 'sims' - 3D sentient captures. He then runs with the idea on a surprising and twisting journey into the future.

10 to 16 to 1 (
Rob
Aug 25, 2008 Rob rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: pasty scifi nerds on a beach vacation
A dense volume packed full of a nice variety of scifi and fantasy from some well-known authors (and a few I'd never heard of). It just happened to be on the shelf at the beach house we rented for our '07 vacation. So when I finished A Dirty Job and Oryx and Crake and Cat's Eye, this one was there to fill in.

Includes:
* "The Wedding Album" by David Marusek -
* "10^16 to 1" by James Patrick Kelly -
* "Winemaster" by Robert Reed
* "Galactic North" by Alastair Reynolds -
* "Dapple: A Hwarhath Hist
Waleed Sarwani
Aug 08, 2014 Waleed Sarwani rated it really liked it
This was a tough read for me. I'm not sure if it was because of the genre or the short story format. I used to be a huge sci if fan as a teenager but I gradually got bored of it. I thought the short story format might be an interesting way to see how the genre has changed and the book really did open my eyes to different flavours of science fiction writing, not just the "alien space adventures" type of stories that I always associated with it. A good story is a good story no matter what the ...more
Chris
Aug 21, 2011 Chris rated it it was ok
Shelves: sffantasy, stories
FOUR WOMEN. FOUR. OUT OF TWENTY-SEVEN. I didn't do the research to check the ratio of authors of colour, but I'm pretty sure it's low to nonexistent; and, as usual, the authors are all Anglophones. Can you really say this is the 'year's best' when you haven't considered the rest of the world? I understand that the editor is somewhat constrained by other people's choices in a reprint anthology, but Dozois was a magazine editor himself at the time, so I don't let him off on those grounds. I might ...more
Lord Humungus
May 04, 2012 Lord Humungus rated it really liked it

Even if it's not one of my favorites in the series, there was loads of good stuff, including memorable pieces by Reed, Baxter, Richard Wadholm, Karl Schroeder, Charles Sheffield, Walter Jon Williams, Resnick, and Sean Williams. My favorite story was David Marusek's "The Wedding Album", which I thoroughly enjoyed but I sadly can't remember why, :). This was my first introduction to Alastair Reynolds whose space opera I would later come to enjoy. There's also Swanwick's "Scherzo with Tyrannosaur"
February Four
Nov 24, 2009 February Four rated it really liked it
Skipped some stories, but LOVED some others. I can't remember which I particularly enjoyed, and the e-book reader I have (Sony PRS-505) is not very conducive to paging through to look for them, but I usually expect hits and misses in story collections anyway, and as long as there are enough hits to keep me happy, that's the main thing. This book had the hits, definitely. (I think I only skipped four stories, but I can't remember which ones.)
SmokingMirror
Jun 16, 2015 SmokingMirror rated it really liked it
4.5 "The Sky-Green Blues" Tanith Lee A story that amazed me. It's the fall of Saigon or Pnomn Penh. until it's something different. I'm not certain that rereading this might be a letdown; the imagery is familiar though beautifully evoked, but the scenario is familiar. The elements that looked to become stereotypes were addressed by the end of the story. Recommended for any Tanith Lee fan.
John Devlin
Apr 09, 2007 John Devlin rated it really liked it
If you read one sci-fi book a year, this is the one. Always stories of high caliber with a few tossed in that will keep you thinking weeks later, not to mention the collection is a primer for what science and technology everyone will be talking about five to ten years from now.
Patrick
1/25/12: "How We Lost the Moon: A True Story by Frank W. Allen" by Paul J. McAuley
1/28/12: "The Dragon of Pripyat" by Karl Schroeder
1/28/12: "Written in Blood" by Chris Lawson
2/2/12: "Daddy's World" by Walter Jon Williams
2/2/12: "Mount Olympus" by Ben Bova
Durval Menezes
I have read this book a long time ago (10 years or more) but remember absolutely nothing about it, so it must have been pretty unremarkable (therefore the 2-stars rating).
Charl
Jun 16, 2015 Charl rated it really liked it
Shelves: y2015
As with any "Best of" collection, there were a couple I ended up skipping, many that I enjoyed, and one or two that made me pause to think about.
Laura Walton Allen
Laura Walton Allen rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2015
David Gorgen
David Gorgen rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2014
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2011
Nivekian
Nivekian rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2007
Jim
Jim rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2014
Kevinlynn Kubli
Kevinlynn Kubli rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2012
Lawrence Hoof
Lawrence Hoof rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2012
Vani
Vani rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2014
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Joelle
Joelle rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2007
Matt Silver
Matt Silver rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2012
Jp
Jp rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2015
Colin
Colin rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2009
Lija Hogan
Lija Hogan rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2010
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2011
Sunny
Sunny rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2011
John
John rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2009
  • Year's Best SF 11 (Year's Best SF (Science Fiction))
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2009
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2010
  • The Best Military Science Fiction of the 20th Century
  • The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction
  • The Space Opera Renaissance
  • Beginning Operations: A Sector General Omnibus (Sector General, #1-3)
12052
Gardner Raymond Dozois (born July 23, 1947) is an American science fiction author and editor. He was editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine from 1984 to 2004. He has won multiple Hugo and Nebula awards, both as an editor and a writer of short fiction.
Wikipedia entry: Gardner R. Dozois

More about Gardner R. Dozois...

The Year's Best Science Fiction (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: First Annual Collection