Start by marking “The Soldier” as Want to Read:
The Soldier

The Soldier

Hi-Lo Chapter Books for Children. This series of short novels was designed to engage a broad spectrum of struggling readers. No longer will upper-elementary students have to read material junior to their maturity and interests. Characters are age appropriate and come from diverse cultures and backgrounds. Science fiction, sports, paranormal, realistic life, historical ...more
Published September 1st 2014 by Saddleback Educational Publishing, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Soldier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Soldier

Ms. Yingling
Interesting enough story, but a high interest/low lever book written in a very stilted style.
Angela
May 30, 2014 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Hi-Lo for middle grade done by a publisher that knows the terrain--finally!

There is a lot covered in these 57 pages. While it is action-thriller in one sense it touches on all of these issues; gender roles, family dynamics, living during an extended war, art, politics, humanity and hope. Line drawings help to break up the text for intimidated readers, while the story engages from start to finish.

Recommended for struggling readers in grades 4-6 and any educator looking to see just what can be acc
Elissa Schaeffer
May 19, 2015 Elissa Schaeffer rated it liked it
After an insightful conversation with a library patron I've been on the lookout for more hi/lo books for my collection. I was happy to find these Red Rhino books. And of course, I wanted to read them when they arrived!

I'm happy to say that these definitely fit the bill for the type of hi/lo book I was looking for. Overall this was a good story, but I can't with certainty that it's an accurate depiction of events in Iraq during this time period.

Still, I'm happy to have it in my collection. Grades
Lisa Bricker
Jan 15, 2015 Lisa Bricker rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-fiction
It's brief and fairly simple, but surprisingly deep and revealing. There's a lot more here than I thought and I really appreciated the unresolved ending.
Martha
Sep 23, 2015 Martha rated it really liked it
Shelves: hi-lo
Great book for high interest low reading level. Girl character. Exciting. Red Rhino Books
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2014
Kristin
Kristin rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2015
Rosemary
Rosemary rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2014
Jen Colvin
Jen Colvin rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2014
Winnie Oenga
Winnie Oenga rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2015
Ann
Ann rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2014
Tom
Tom added it
Jul 25, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015